gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681076 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 21, 2024, 03:24:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Going To The Beach Live  (Read 4474 times)
Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

My Favorite Beach Boy ( The Real Surfer)

View Profile
« on: February 01, 2015, 03:37:12 PM »

I am looking for a live Version of Going To the  Beach from 1980 with Dennis Playing the Drums  Drumroll Drumroll Drumroll Drumroll

I had a fast Life
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 03:40:59 PM »

Good luck with that.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 04:28:20 PM »

Does not exist.  The song was never played live until Mike and his guys started playing it in 2013.

Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 04:41:05 PM »

...and there's no version with Dennis playing on it.
SinisterSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 05:04:29 PM »

Yikes! I read that as 1990, I need to get some sleep.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 08:26:01 PM »

Dennis didn't even play on the studio version of the song in 1980.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 08:56:24 PM »

...but he tried (half-heartedly, no doubt). Smiley
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 11:42:57 PM »

...but he tried (half-heartedly, no doubt). Smiley

Now it's getting interesting.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 08:37:05 PM »

Why is that, Micha?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 08:55:56 PM »

I thought there was a story behind c-mans short statement that I didn't know yet, Dennis trying to play the part but give up or refuse, and I expected it to follow, which it didn't.

Is there a story, Craig?

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2015, 09:25:48 PM »

I thought there was a story behind c-mans short statement that I didn't know yet, Dennis trying to play the part but give up or refuse, and I expected it to follow, which it didn't.

Is there a story, Craig?

Just how sick of playing new surf/beach topic-related songs must Dennis have been in 1980?
This is the guy who created POB just 3 years prior.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2015, 09:34:37 PM »

How sick of playing Mike Love written songs must Dennis have been after pretty much sitting out MIU and literally having to save the L.A. Light album?

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2015, 10:22:05 PM »

How sick of playing Mike Love written songs must Dennis have been after pretty much sitting out MIU and literally having to save the L.A. Light album?

One must really wonder what would have happened to the band politics if the LA Light Album had been a success, because artistically (sans a couple of exceptions) it's pretty rad.  

I wonder if at any point in the band's history, there was ever serious talk in the band about the band never recording a new happy old-fashioned beach or surf-related song again. The lack of surf-related songs between "Don't Back Down" all the way to "Still Surfin'" (unless I'm forgetting any) has to tell me that there was a conscious effort to specifically avoid the surf topic, at least.

If "Do It Again" had been released with the original "Surf Again" lyric, I think it would have flopped.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 10:23:15 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2015, 12:10:35 AM »

The lack of surf-related songs between "Don't Back Down" all the way to "Still Surfin'" (unless I'm forgetting any)

One could count Kona Coast: "I wanna go surfing where I dig it the most, in Hawaii", and maybe "California Calling".

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2015, 03:23:30 AM »

The lack of surf-related songs between "Don't Back Down" all the way to "Still Surfin'" (unless I'm forgetting any)

One could count Kona Coast: "I wanna go surfing where I dig it the most, in Hawaii", and maybe "California Calling".

I've always counted "Do It Again" as a surf song. If there's any doubt, just look at the video the band made to accompany it.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2015, 03:26:18 AM »

Is there a story, Craig?

Story goes the track was cut at Al's place in Big Sur, with Scott Matthews on drums, and then overdubs were added back in L.A. at Rumbo. Dennis showed up for the Rumbo session, and was persuaded to give it a go on the drums. He reportedly "made some noise" but was ultimately sent home for being "too Dennis".
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2015, 08:17:25 AM »

Of course you can see a brief part of the session of "Goin' To The Beach" with Mike Love talking about it on "The Making of Keepin' The Summer Alive" documentary, narrated by Ben Fong-Torres.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 12:18:53 PM by Mikie » Logged

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2015, 12:39:31 PM »

I don't blame him.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2015, 12:52:57 PM »

Story goes the track was cut at Al's place in Big Sur, with Scott Matthews on drums, and then overdubs were added back in L.A. at Rumbo. Dennis showed up for the Rumbo session, and was persuaded to give it a go on the drums. He reportedly "made some noise" but was ultimately sent home for being "too Dennis".

Interesting stuff, never knew that!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2015, 01:01:55 PM »

Is there a story, Craig?

Grin
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx