gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680890 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 03, 2024, 01:06:55 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: new article with some interesting tidbits  (Read 52396 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 09, 2016, 02:00:18 PM »

3. And which Beach Boy or brother or cousin or mother or wife stood up and said, "hell, if Brian doesn't want to write for, produce, record with, tour with the Beach Boys, he shouldn't have to. Why are we physically forcing him to do things he obviously doesn't want to do? Maybe leave him alone."

I think this is unquestionably the most legit criticism that can be leveled at Brian's family and band. While some people might make the defense argument that if not pushed to write Beach Boys songs, Brian would have just sat around deteriorating even more... the problem lies in the fact that prior to Brian's truly destructive '70s era, way back in 1967-ish, Brian was also cruelly blocked and bullied into ceasing writing for Redwood, and turn Time To Get Alone into a Beach Boys song. The argument that this action was done for Brian's own good (and not for selfish Beach Boys reasons) is rather impossible to believe.

I frankly don't know how Brian's family and band would not be able to understand and empathize at how Brian felt deeply resentful at being treated like a commodity and circus elephant, which I'm sure he felt. Maybe they do privately in hindsight.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: March 09, 2016, 02:01:28 PM »

In other words CD, you're not going to get an answer and several of us are, even if unwittingly, essentially being trolled here.

You're never going to get certain people to ever, ever, ever say "Ooh, that's an unfortunate comment from Mike." Ever.

EVER. 
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 02:02:21 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 09, 2016, 02:02:32 PM »

The family turned into a mafia of hanger-ons. Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 09, 2016, 02:03:46 PM »

Hey Jude - It is not our business, to put it politely.  Especially looking at those time-lines that led to the resolution of that whole disaster.  I am not characterizing or mis-characterizing anything but pointing out that unlike the copyright lawsuits, that were public, these were conferences that avoided trial, and, it was a sealed case.  

There is not just one champion here. There may be many, including Brian's late mother and Carl and Wendy and Carnie.  Once Melinda and Gloria opened the door, those others who had standing, had to walk through and continue the fight.

And, I don't think this is just a story about Brian Wilson or the Beach Boys.  It is also the story of predatory doctors who can take advantage of their patients and exploit them.  It raises awareness about those issues, that millions of other suffer from.  And effective advocacy.    

You jumped into this discussion. Why would you if it's "not our business?"

You've jumped into a discussion of how Mike has minimized the role of Melinda by pointing out that Melinda did have a role, followed up with a bunch of legal mumbojumbo that had nothing to do with what anyone was talking about and that nobody, generally speaking, seems to disagree with.

So when the topic at hand is, while admittedly a bit rhetorical in nature, "Mike is being a d**k for minimizing Melinda's role", and you jump in to absolve Mike of anything that might be construed as slightly negative, while also going on at length about how Melinda DID play a role, it comes across as sort of troll-ish to be honest.

If you want to write a non-sequitur dissertation about the intricacies of conservatorship cases and whatnot, there are plenty of other places to do it.

Why continually step into these "anti-Mike" discussions if one feels they are inherently inappropriate or none of our business? And most especially, why step in with information that contradicts Mike's own words, the very words at the heart of the current discussion, and then continue to incredulously wonder why someone would take issue with his comments?
Hey Jude - Getting Brian extricated was all about legal "mumbo jumbo" and that LA Times article with details of the sealed case is not unimportant to have a complete picture of what happened.  I did not just jump in.  I did some homework first.  Nothing minimizes Melinda's role.  But others were involved who are now deceased.  

Carl was attacked in this thread.  Guess I have a problem with that.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 09, 2016, 02:04:15 PM »

Thank God, Gloria and Melinda were able to work under-the-radar to set the wheels in motion to get Brian extricated from that predator.  

Where's your outrage for Mike's minimization (if not nearly outright denial) of Melinda playing any role whatsoever in the incidents you've just correctly described?

CD - I did not get that impression.  There may have been real fireworks at those hearings.  It started in May of 1990 as a result of the revised 1989 Landy will, and was not resolved for about a year and a half in December of 1991.   It looks likke a very protracted series of events and since it has a closed file it is wrong for people to speculate about what it all means.  

We only know what happened out of court and not what happened with the court involvement.  It was not a one-day resolution.  

Mike said the film’s worst inaccuracies included “That Melinda (played by Elizabeth Banks) saved Brian from Dr. Landy". His own words... Melinda saving Brian is diminished to the point of her involvement in getting Brian's extraction to happen is inaccurate.

You yourself went so far as to thank god that Melinda was "able to work under-the-radar to set the wheels in motion" (which I don't disagree with), in direct contradiction to what Mike said. Exactly how are you interpreting what he said in some other way?

Again... it was more than JUST Melinda's actions, and the film does state that. She calls Carl and/or Audree (I can't recall if it's both or just one of them) in the film. If Mike's miffed that Stan's role wasn't additionally mentioned, that's fair for him to state... but not at the expense of avoiding any acknowledgement of Melinda's role.

How does Mike in any way give Melinda any credit at all in the interview? It would seem your opinion of thanking god for Melinda's actions would be at odds with what Mike is putting out there. It's not speculation to categorically state that Melinda played a significant role in the process.

CD - Those people that Melinda called in the movie are no longer with us.  As a mother, or even a sibling, I would have been devastated to learn that a medical person took advantage of a family member.  Imagine being in their shoes.    

Maybe they were not portrayed out of respect because they have since passed and that was tasteful. I will tell you that I might not have been as restrained (behind a closed door hearing and a sealed case) as that family was.  It does not take much to imagine the scenario of having to face your son's predator.  Or for Carl, to face his brother's predator after losing your other brother only a few years earlier.  Not pretty.  Or the band members learning they had been "had." (By Landy.)

We know what we saw in that brilliant movie, but don't know the heartache of discovering about this criminally abusive situation by the immediate family members and the band.    

I could have sworn I asked you a question, a very clear one, about how Mike's statement avoiding saying Melinda had any involvement in Brian's extraction is at odds with you thanking god for Melinda's actions... and I'm pretty sure you answered absolutely none of it, and just said a bunch of unrelated stuff.

Mike says it's INACCURATE to credit Melinda for Brian's extraction. You, a god-thanking-for-Melinda person, agree with that?

(Hint: here's where you *might* consider actually answer the question... not where you place unrelated sentences, or get all upset for me politely requesting that you respond with an actual answer, the way non-trolls do).
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 02:14:34 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: March 09, 2016, 02:06:32 PM »

How much anyone can blame Brian’s family, and if so, whether we should bother at this stage, truly is a complicated matter. No easy answers there.

It’s probably one of the reasons nobody, including Brian or the makers of “Love & Mercy”, ever tried to make a point of “So-and-so totally DIDN’T help Brian get away from Landy!”

There’s only one person in the BB circle that I’ve seen try to minimize the role one of Brian’s closest allies in the Landy saga, specifically NAMING a person and implying they didn’t help.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: March 09, 2016, 02:11:53 PM »

Hey Jude - Getting Brian extricated was all about legal "mumbo jumbo" and that LA Times article with details of the sealed case is not unimportant to have a complete picture of what happened.  I did not just jump in.  I did some homework first.  Nothing minimizes Melinda's role.  But others were involved who are now deceased.  

Carl was attacked in this thread.  Guess I have a problem with that.

Nobody said extricating Brian didn't involve a great deal of legal activity. Nobody has said news articles are unimportant.

Someone did attempt to minimize Melinda's role. That's what that article and what the recent discussion in this thread has been about. THAT is the discussion you jumped into, and why citing court records and news articles has nothing to do with it. It all strikes me as obfuscatory, extraneous information to divert from how Mike comes across poorly in a recent interview according to some fans.

I also don't think Carl has been attacked in this thread. Some have posed the question about his actions in the Landy situation. As long as the discussion remains respectful, I don't see a problem with that.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 02:14:01 PM by HeyJude » Logged

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 09, 2016, 02:13:04 PM »

Thank God, Gloria and Melinda were able to work under-the-radar to set the wheels in motion to get Brian extricated from that predator.  

Where's your outrage for Mike's minimization (if not nearly outright denial) of Melinda playing any role whatsoever in the incidents you've just correctly described?

CD - I did not get that impression.  There may have been real fireworks at those hearings.  It started in May of 1990 as a result of the revised 1989 Landy will, and was not resolved for about a year and a half in December of 1991.   It looks likke a very protracted series of events and since it has a closed file it is wrong for people to speculate about what it all means.  

We only know what happened out of court and not what happened with the court involvement.  It was not a one-day resolution.  

Mike said the film’s worst inaccuracies included “That Melinda (played by Elizabeth Banks) saved Brian from Dr. Landy". His own words... Melinda saving Brian is diminished to the point of her involvement in getting Brian's extraction to happen is inaccurate.

You yourself went so far as to thank god that Melinda was "able to work under-the-radar to set the wheels in motion" (which I don't disagree with), in direct contradiction to what Mike said. Exactly how are you interpreting what he said in some other way?

Again... it was more than JUST Melinda's actions, and the film does state that. She calls Carl and/or Audree (I can't recall if it's both or just one of them) in the film. If Mike's miffed that Stan's role wasn't additionally mentioned, that's fair for him to state... but not at the expense of avoiding any acknowledgement of Melinda's role.

How does Mike in any way give Melinda any credit at all in the interview? It would seem your opinion of thanking god for Melinda's actions would be at odds with what Mike is putting out there. It's not speculation to categorically state that Melinda played a significant role in the process.

CD - Those people that Melinda called in the movie are no longer with us.  As a mother, or even a sibling, I would have been devastated to learn that a medical person took advantage of a family member.  Imagine being in their shoes.    

Maybe they were not portrayed out of respect because they have since passed and that was tasteful. I will tell you that I might not have been as restrained (behind a closed door hearing and a sealed case) as that family was.  It does not take much to imagine the scenario of having to face your son's predator.  Or for Carl, to face his brother's predator after losing your other brother only a few years earlier.  Not pretty.  Or the band members learning they had been "had." (By Landy.)

We know what we saw in that brilliant movie, but don't know the heartache of discovering about this criminally abusive situation by the immediate family members and the band.    

I could have sworn I asked you a question, a very clear one, about how Mike's statement avoiding saying Melinda had any involvement in Brian's extraction is at odds with you thanking god for Melinda's actions... and I'm pretty sure you answered absolutely none of it, and just said a bunch of unrelated stuff.

Mike says it's INACCURATE to credit Melinda for Brian's extraction. You, a god-thanking-for-Melinda person, agree with that?

And, CD - I think I answered it fully.  I said that the late Carl and Audree, were contacted (according to L + M) and that set the wheels in motion.  

Brian was in a catch-22 situation.  He was confined by Landy under the court order and it could be argued that at the same time falsely imprisoned because there was fraud going on.  What were the band to do without any solid evidence?  Maybe you have an answer for this.

How would they get by Landy who could have gone into court to tell the judge that the band was interfering with court-approved treatment?  Maybe you can answer that.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 02:14:30 PM by filledeplage » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: March 09, 2016, 02:19:11 PM »

This must be some sort of "Schrödinger's Cat" thought experiment, where one can simultaneously agree with Mike's portrayal of it being inaccurate that Melinda helped extricate Brian, and also believe that Melinda absolutely did help.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 09, 2016, 02:22:33 PM »

And, CD - I think I answered it fully.  I said that the late Carl and Audree, were contacted (according to L + M) and that set the wheels in motion.  

Brian was in a catch-22 situation.  He was confined by Landy under the court order and it could be argued that at the same time falsely imprisoned because there was fraud going on.  What were the band to do without any solid evidence?  Maybe you have an answer for this.

How would they get by Landy who could have gone into court to tell the judge that the band was interfering with court-approved treatment?  Maybe you can answer that.

I am asking you SPECIFICALLY about Melinda.

Melinda played a role in getting the wheels in motion. I'm not trying to diminish Carl, Audree, Stan, or anyone else. Nor do I wish to discuss them at this moment, because that's unrelated to the point I'm making.

You, yourself, said that we need to thank god for Melinda's (among others') role in the Landy extraction.

Mike says it's INACCURATE to have Melinda be credited. Mike did  NOT say that "Melinda was a part of the process, but other people were too..." He simply said that the film's greatest inaccuracies included giving credit to Melinda for the extraction (which you have already pledged thanks to the guy in the sky for her doing).

Somewhere, there's a disconnect here. NOBODY is claiming that Melinda SOLELY is the ONLY reason why Brian got out from Landy. Not the film, not anybody on this board. So we don't need to discuss courts, Carl, Audree, Stan, who admittedly were part of it - that does not need addressing.  I politely and sincerely beg of you, please don't bring those unrelated subjects up, because it's not what we are talking about, nor does anyone disagree with those being factors.  I won't post any unrelated Fat Boys lyrics either. Deal?

What does need addressing is where Melinda fits into this. She either did or didn't play A PART in the process. That - and that alone - is what this convo is about.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 02:32:11 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 09, 2016, 02:29:57 PM »

Duck and dodge. Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 09, 2016, 02:30:45 PM »

This must be some sort of "Schrödinger's Cat" thought experiment, where one can simultaneously agree with Mike's portrayal of it being inaccurate that Melinda helped extricate Brian, and also believe that Melinda absolutely did help.

I've noticed too that FDP's mentions of the name "Melinda" have gone down in quantity in subsequent replies since we pointed out how and acknowledgement of Melinda's role might contradict Mike's words.

Is the idea that if we just all keep quietly not saying her name, maybe any morsel of acknowledgement of Melinda's role might just fade away, along with anyone being aware of the blatant hypocrisy?

This does feel like a really bad experiment. Like the hatch in Lost.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 09, 2016, 02:33:56 PM »

Nothing minimizes Melinda's role.  

How about this:

"Asked for the film’s worst inaccuracies, Love responded, “That Melinda (played by Elizabeth Banks) saved Brian from Dr. Landy"

You are saying that this Mike statement doesn't minimize her role?  Yes? No? Maybe? It's got to be one of those. If it's a bunch of unrelated sentences, you are trolling.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 02:36:58 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 09, 2016, 02:38:02 PM »

FDP was saying lip service about Melinda and her true opinion supporting Mike is coming out.

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 09, 2016, 02:40:38 PM »

How about this:

"Asked for the film’s worst inaccuracies, Love responded, “That Melinda (played by Elizabeth Banks) saved Brian from Dr. Landy "?

You are saying that this Mike statement doesn't minimize her role?  Yes? No? Maybe? It's got to be one of those. If it's a bunch of unrelated sentences, you are trolling.
That is not how I read that.  Carl is absolutely in the mix as is Audree.  It perhaps "opened the door" to whatever transpired during those 19 months.  Melinda and Gloria heroically started the wheels in motion but Carl, Audree and the others involved had to finish it.  And it took 19 months.  
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 09, 2016, 02:45:10 PM »

FDP was saying lip service about Melinda and her true opinion supporting Mike is coming out.
Smile Brian - were you in the courtroom off and on for 19 months while Landy was defending his actions, his drugging Brian, his changing the will?  We don't know that whole scenario.

It always goes back to Mike-hate with some here. 

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 09, 2016, 02:48:31 PM »

How about this:

"Asked for the film’s worst inaccuracies, Love responded, “That Melinda (played by Elizabeth Banks) saved Brian from Dr. Landy"

Trolling?  I don't think so. That is a personal attack.  Mike is perhaps merely stating that there was another whole phase that transpired after that call to the family.  We don't know that phase because the case is sealed. 
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 09, 2016, 02:51:18 PM »

People began reporting Landy's unethical behavior to the state in '84. Melinda contacted the state in '87 at the latest. In '88 Landy was legally charged with violating has client/patient relationship and with improperly prescribing drugs. As you mentioned earlier, FdP, the family could have acted then. The courts always rank the family above outsiders in conservatorship cases. Landy was charged with having an inappropriate relationship with Brian. Yet the family waited until Peter Reum sounded the alarm and the will was revealed. Why?
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 09, 2016, 02:52:01 PM »

Hey Jude - that is meant as a personal attack.  There is another whole series of events that happened after the wheels were set in motion. The story did not end there.  I am looking beyond what happenend in the film, looking at the LATimes article and the timelines it covered.  
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 09, 2016, 02:53:50 PM »

How about this:

Trolling?  I don't think so. That is a personal attack.  Mike is perhaps merely stating that there was another whole phase that transpired after that call to the family.  We don't know that phase because the case is sealed.  

Can you even bring yourself to say that it *might* have been a better course of action, one that would have garnered him less criticism AND been more accurate, for Mike to have stated that while Melinda DID have a role, he found it inaccurate that others such as (fill in the blank here) weren't additionally acknowledged to a level that he felt would have been more accurate?  

Because you know, that way, nobody would get the impression that Mike believes Melinda's role regarding the extraction is a wholly untrue and inaccurate idea.

It's ok for us to look beyond the film for the truth. It's ok for Mike to do so too, of course. However, it's not cool to imply that Melinda's involvement in Brian's extraction was inaccurate. If Mike things the film is lopsided, that's one thing. He says no such thing though. He simply can't bring himself to say one word of praise or acknowledgement for Melinda.

If Mike's interview didn't exist, and I went on this board, or anyone did, and said what Mike said in that interview, that it's inaccurate for Melinda to be credited in some capacity for Brian's extraction, that nobody should thank god for Melinda... I imagine, based on your earlier post, that you would object and chime in to say how wrong I (or anyone else) would be to say that.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 03:03:55 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: March 09, 2016, 02:54:09 PM »

Trolling?  I don't think so. That is a personal attack.  Mike is perhaps merely stating that there was another whole phase that transpired after that call to the family.  We don't know that phase because the case is sealed. 

So you find it distasteful when others try to guess or infer what Mike means or what he thinks based on interviews and comments, but you're allowed to here? Your "perhaps" implies (correctly) that you're just guessing.

That this guess completely ignores the syntax and construction of Mike's answer is a separate issue, as is the convenience of a potential defense of Mike's negative and hurtful words being locked away forever in a "sealed" case.

Mike's answer is, even if disagreeable, at least far more clear and direct than any of this other stuff.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: March 09, 2016, 02:56:18 PM »

Hey Jude - that is meant as a personal attack.  There is another whole series of events that happened after the wheels were set in motion. The story did not end there.  I am looking beyond what happenend in the film, looking at the LATimes article and the timelines it covered.  

Then feel free to start another thread on that topic. The topic at hand here involves (or involved anyway) Mike's comments about Melinda in an interview.

I haven't seen any personal attacks here, other than the sort of passive personal attack against Melinda in that article.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 09, 2016, 03:01:06 PM »

Melinda and Gloria heroically started the wheels in motion but Carl, Audree and the others involved had to finish it.  And it took 19 months.  

Where does Mike give any credit to Melinda and Gloria for heroically starting the wheels in motion?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 03:02:24 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 09, 2016, 03:01:26 PM »

People began reporting Landy's unethical behavior to the state in '84. Melinda contacted the state in '87 at the latest. In '88 Landy was legally charged with violating has client/patient relationship and with improperly prescribing drugs. As you mentioned earlier, FdP, the family could have acted then. The courts always rank the family above outsiders in conservatorship cases. Landy was charged with having an inappropriate relationship with Brian. Yet the family waited until Peter Reum sounded the alarm and the will was revealed. Why?
Nothing was happening to pull him off the case or revoke the license of the prescribing doc that Landy used?  That is on the state.

The family needed to provide evidence of self-dealing and the will provided that door.  I understood that Carl worked with Peter to surreptitiously observe Brian for drugging effects and Brian's "affect."

We don't know all the details because that case is sealed.  That is what is behind the door.

The 1984 timeline I am not familiar with.  I saw Brian first, in 1987 and 1990.

It seems incredible that people are questioning some of what was done in good faith.  There is a lot we don't know.  
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: March 09, 2016, 03:04:01 PM »

It seems incredible that people are questioning some of what was done in good faith.  

Then why is it so easy to so indignantly and incredulously speak to people in this thread, but not repudiate or renounce that Mike most certainly was questioning the good faith actions of Melinda?

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx