gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681063 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 20, 2024, 10:33:40 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: new article with some interesting tidbits  (Read 52531 times)
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2016, 09:51:07 AM »

Another story.

This guy seems to have the history but something may have been lost in translation. Was a PS Tour this year discuused?

'Love, an original Beach Boy vocalist and Brian’s cousin, is joined on tour by longtime Beach Boy keyboardist Bruce Johnston. Brian also performs with a fellow Beach Boy, guitarist Al Jardine, and has in fact also asked Love to join his band.'

http://lubbockonline.com/filed-online/2016-03-05/kerns-love-providing-good-vibrations-original-beach-boy#.VtzviFR97cs

I figured that this interview would eventually show up here. I was so outraged by it yesterday that I refused to post it, but here it is.

Apparently Mike's stepping up his game on this one.  I guess it's time to peddle that book.

According to Mike, L&M wasn't true (even though Brian says it is, and Mike hasn't seen it, according to Mike).  It was Stan and Carl instead of Melinda who saved Brian from Landy, according to Mike.  I was on the sidelines watching this process and I have a pretty good idea of who did what.  Melinda and friends (who wish to not be acknowledged so far) fought long and hard to save Brian from Landy and his over-medication of Brian.  They did their best to get the family to take legal action, as they were the only people who could.  Keep remembering this - only the family could act.  

It took the Landy will, just as it was portrayed in the movie, to get Carl and family to act.  Yet Mike says that Melinda didn't save Brian, but it was Carl and Stan?  I saw who was suffering and terrified that Brian might die before he got away from the man, and who was making all the efforts.  Melinda was front and center.  I'm glad Carl eventually chose to take legal action, as the movie portrayed. Maybe Mike should see the movie before calling it a lie.  Also, his portrayal in the film to me made him look like he was worried about the hit-making potential - not exactly damning.  Like I said, he should see the movie.

Finally, The Wilsons were trying to get the other BBs to do heroin?  Now this is the story?  Where was all this heroin?  I never saw any around Brian.  I'm not saying an incident couldn't have happened, but it was hardly a "lifestyle" for him.
Debbie KL - The movie did not leave me with the impression that the family was not involved.  I was left with two impressions.  First, that Melinda was the primary "facilitator" of the sunlight on the "Landy will."  She was the necessary communicator when Brian was "legally" in Landy's custody, to contact the family to act.  As a non-family member, at that time, it was better handled by one who had "standing" as a sibling, to articulate that problem.

And, second, that family had to be involved, because they had "standing" as family members, to go into the court and argue that there were "irregularities" and self-dealing, undue influence, etc., (Landy) to make himself beneficiary to the will.  I don't see anything inconsistent.    

I believe that was my point.  Melinda and friends provided the blood, sweat and tears.  The family were the only people who could take legal action.
Yeah, that's how I understood your post.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2016, 09:51:37 AM »

It took the Landy will, just as it was portrayed in the movie, to get Carl and family to act.

I wonder if it was more a case of the Landy will finally giving Carl the legal tool he needed to act. He was very frustrated over the whole Landy situation well before then.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2016, 10:22:09 AM »

It took the Landy will, just as it was portrayed in the movie, to get Carl and family to act.

I wonder if it was more a case of the Landy will finally giving Carl the legal tool he needed to act. He was very frustrated over the whole Landy situation well before then.

Possibly.  I don't know the factors that caused Carl to act, nor what was required legally at that point, but that might make sense.  That draft will copy was a godsend for everyone, whatever the motivation.  

My point was that the movie is accurate.  That, and the fact that Brian wasn't exactly living in an opium den, beckoning Mike and Al to join him.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 10:23:50 AM by Debbie KL » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2016, 01:04:12 PM »

Another story.

This guy seems to have the history but something may have been lost in translation. Was a PS Tour this year discuused?

'Love, an original Beach Boy vocalist and Brian’s cousin, is joined on tour by longtime Beach Boy keyboardist Bruce Johnston. Brian also performs with a fellow Beach Boy, guitarist Al Jardine, and has in fact also asked Love to join his band.'

http://lubbockonline.com/filed-online/2016-03-05/kerns-love-providing-good-vibrations-original-beach-boy#.VtzviFR97cs

Not sure how spot-on that writer is with the band's history. He refers to C50 as occurring in 2011 instead of 2012 (yes, they did the one studio recording in mid-2011, but that's surely not what he's referring to), incorrectly characterizes the 1988 R&R Hall of Fame event as a "reunion" (probably just to bring up Mike's speech), and seems to have possibly mischaracterized how Mike is portrayed in the L&M film (possibly to simply get a rise out of Mike).

I do find it interesting that Mike uses the "Stan and Carl" reasoning, which negates Melinda (or the movie's depiction at least), and doesn't realize that someone might wonder "Well, why did Mike's brother have to "do" something? Why didn't Mike? Stan Love didn't have any more standing with the courts than Mike did. They're both Brian's cousin."

Mike doesn't come out so well in the "Stan and Carl saved Brian" story either.

At the risk of sounding picky, the reference was not the C50 in 2011 but the 50th anniversary, which it was. 1961-2011. But I get your point.

....'That is, with the exception of reunions: the band’s 50th anniversary in 2011 and, in 1988, the Beach Boys’ induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame with the Beatles and Bob Dylan.'....
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2016, 01:06:04 PM »

Also nit picky, but the HoF thing was a reunion of sorts.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2016, 02:30:07 PM »

Another story.

I figured that this interview would eventually show up here. I was so outraged by it yesterday that I refused to post it, but here it is.

Apparently Mike's stepping up his game on this one.  I guess it's time to peddle that book.

According to Mike, L&M wasn't true (even though Brian says it is, and Mike hasn't seen it, according to Mike).  It was Stan and Carl instead of Melinda who saved Brian from Landy, according to Mike.  I was on the sidelines watching this process and I have a pretty good idea of who did what.  Melinda and friends (who wish to not be acknowledged so far) fought long and hard to save Brian from Landy and his over-medication of Brian.  They did their best to get the family to take legal action, as they were the only people who could.  Keep remembering this - only the family could act.  

It took the Landy will, just as it was portrayed in the movie, to get Carl and family to act.  Yet Mike says that Melinda didn't save Brian, but it was Carl and Stan?  I saw who was suffering and terrified that Brian might die before he got away from the man, and who was making all the efforts.  Melinda was front and center.  I'm glad Carl eventually chose to take legal action, as the movie portrayed. Maybe Mike should see the movie before calling it a lie.  Also, his portrayal in the film to me made him look like he was worried about the hit-making potential - not exactly damning.  Like I said, he should see the movie.

Finally, The Wilsons were trying to get the other BBs to do heroin?  Now this is the story?  Where was all this heroin?  I never saw any around Brian.  I'm not saying an incident couldn't have happened, but it was hardly a "lifestyle" for him.
Debbie KL - The movie did not leave me with the impression that the family was not involved.  I was left with two impressions.  First, that Melinda was the primary "facilitator" of the sunlight on the "Landy will."  She was the necessary communicator when Brian was "legally" in Landy's custody, to contact the family to act.  As a non-family member, at that time, it was better handled by one who had "standing" as a sibling, to articulate that problem.

And, second, that family had to be involved, because they had "standing" as family members, to go into the court and argue that there were "irregularities" and self-dealing, undue influence, etc., (Landy) to make himself beneficiary to the will.  I don't see anything inconsistent.    

I believe that was my point.  Melinda and friends provided the blood, sweat and tears.  The family were the only people who could take legal action.
Yeah, that's how I understood your post.

Thanks Emily.  I addressed the Stan suit, albeit briefly, on the BW msg board, and said nothing here, I realize.  Of course, there's always Rocky's thread for reference. I will simply say that the people who actually did get Brian out of that nightmare seem to have proven that they were the choice for Brian to have a safe, healthy future.
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2016, 03:52:48 PM »

Yeah, there is no reason to think he's saying the vox only is new to the new box. "There is a box set they put out several years ago, and they're getting ready to do another one, which is the 50th anniversary of Pet Sounds, um, where it's just a CD of just the vocals. It's a multiple CD set, and it has just the vocals on this one CD." (15:23)

The mention of the new set is more an aside. His comment about the vocals-only disc is referring back to the old box.

Correct - and on a careful reading I suspect the 50th Anniversary Edition is the BluRay Audio version which seems to have been delayed, possibly until the exact 50th anniversary??!!??
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2016, 10:46:28 PM »

Yeah, there is no reason to think he's saying the vox only is new to the new box. "There is a box set they put out several years ago, and they're getting ready to do another one, which is the 50th anniversary of Pet Sounds, um, where it's just a CD of just the vocals. It's a multiple CD set, and it has just the vocals on this one CD." (15:23)

The mention of the new set is more an aside. His comment about the vocals-only disc is referring back to the old box.

Correct - and on a careful reading I suspect the 50th Anniversary Edition is the BluRay Audio version which seems to have been delayed, possibly until the exact 50th anniversary??!!??

… which I suspect is what this prerelease listing will transpire to be:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0076CQK7M

“We live in divisive times.”
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2016, 07:07:23 AM »

Another story.

Not sure how spot-on that writer is with the band's history. He refers to C50 as occurring in 2011 instead of 2012 (yes, they did the one studio recording in mid-2011, but that's surely not what he's referring to), incorrectly characterizes the 1988 R&R Hall of Fame event as a "reunion" (probably just to bring up Mike's speech), and seems to have possibly mischaracterized how Mike is portrayed in the L&M film (possibly to simply get a rise out of Mike).

I do find it interesting that Mike uses the "Stan and Carl" reasoning, which negates Melinda (or the movie's depiction at least), and doesn't realize that someone might wonder "Well, why did Mike's brother have to "do" something? Why didn't Mike? Stan Love didn't have any more standing with the courts than Mike did. They're both Brian's cousin."

At the risk of sounding picky, the reference was not the C50 in 2011 but the 50th anniversary, which it was. 1961-2011. But I get your point.

....'That is, with the exception of reunions: the band’s 50th anniversary in 2011 and, in 1988, the Beach Boys’ induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame with the Beatles and Bob Dylan.'....

It is all nitpicking, I acknowledge, but when the writer referred to "the band's 50th anniversary in 2011", he's referring to a reunion. I guess he could mean they celebrated 2011's 50th anniversary in 2012, but that's an odd way to put it and an unclear way to construct the sentence. The band's "50th anniversary year" included 2012. I think it's far more likely the guy just tacked 50 years onto their 1961 formation.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2016, 07:17:19 AM »

Also nit picky, but the HoF thing was a reunion of sorts.

I'm probably debating nitpicks nobody cares about, but I don't really see events such as the 80s HOF ceremony as a "reunion." It implies Brian had officially left the group, or hadn't performed with them in years and years or appeared in person with them in years and years. Brian had been making appearances with the group as recently as 1986 by that time, and was doing other stuff with the band in the 88/89 timeframe as well (I can't remember if Brian made any appearances on stage in 1987 at the moment). I've never even really heard the 25th Anniversary Hawaii show termed as "reunion." It was the band as it was at that stage, with Brian making increasingly sporadic appearances.

By the time of C50, other than a one-off gig in 2011 (doing a few songs, and essentially a trial run at the C50 reunion), Al hadn't played in the touring band in 14 years. Brian hadn't made a single appearance on stage with the group or Mike Love in 16 years. That five-man C50 lineup had literally *never* performed in that exact configuration prior to 2012.

Lumping together C50 and the '88 HOF ceremony as two "reunions" as that writer did doesn't make sense to me. At that stage, I'd say Brian's 1976 return to the stage or Carl's 1982 return to the touring band were closer to "reunions" than the '88 event. If we count every time a member was gone for any length of time and then came back as a "reunion", we'd have many.

As I mentioned before, I think the writer characterized the '88 event as "reunion" simply so he could segue into mentioning Mike's infamous speech.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2016, 09:16:40 AM »

Another story.

It is all nitpicking, I acknowledge, but when the writer referred to "the band's 50th anniversary in 2011", he's referring to a reunion. I guess he could mean they celebrated 2011's 50th anniversary in 2012, but that's an odd way to put it and an unclear way to construct the sentence. The band's "50th anniversary year" included 2012. I think it's far more likely the guy just tacked 50 years onto their 1961 formation.

It might just be a way of reading. When I read it, I thought he was using 'reunite' as get back together, the way you might reunite with your college friends when your in town. They reunited for the album; they reunited for the HoF; they normally don't see each other or work or appear as a unit and on these occasions they did. I may be wrong, but that's how I read it. I actually thought the author had a slightly better understanding of the background than many.
Matt Etherton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2016, 07:21:00 PM »

The thing I believe is that Melinda, while certainly a big big part of Brian getting free, wouldn't have succeeded without Carl (and Aubree & Stan to a much lesser degree).
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2016, 08:35:29 PM »

The thing I believe is that Melinda, while certainly a big big part of Brian getting free, wouldn't have succeeded without Carl (and Aubree & Stan to a much lesser degree).
I don't believe she could have because either Brian himself or a family member had legal standing to challenge Landy's conservatorship; Melinda did not. However, the family could have challenged earlier using the leverage of his medical code violations. I think the family seem to have given up on the matter until Melinda Ledbetter, with the help of others, presented the information about the will.
Regarding Stan, that was a separate suit that went nowhere.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2016, 07:26:39 AM »

In trying to figure out how much of a role Melinda played versus Stan Love and Carl, let's remember that Mike's comments in the article imply, at the very least, that Melinda playing a role is an out-and-out "inaccuracy." He doesn't just say that not mentioning Stan or only minimally mentioning Carl is an inaccuracy, but that "Melinda saved Brian" was an inaccuracy:

Asked for the film’s worst inaccuracies, Love responded, “That Melinda (played by Elizabeth Banks) saved Brian from Dr. Landy (played by Paul Giamatti). That was my brother (Stan Love) and Carl (Wilson) who stepped in. Landy was, in fact, over-reaching.”

While re-enacting the epic, awkward Stan Love press conference scene where Brian burst in and read an awkward prepared statement (out of the ballpark!) probably would have made for an interesting scene in the film, I think the whole point was that Melinda, and specifically her "relationship" with Brian, was an impetus for more action on the Landy issue.

The film also made it clear that Melinda *had* to go through Brian's family for the wheels of justice to actually work. I'ts not like the film shows Melinda arguing the case in court or something. It actually shows how Melinda wasn't "with" Brian or back together with him until *after* he was extracted from Landy.

Mike is frankly perhaps lucky that they didn't put a scene in the film where someone, I guess relatively rhetorically, asked why the other Beach Boys, especially those who were related and had standing in court, saw Brian and Landy's weird relationship (and numerous books have cited BB business meeting where Brian leaves the room and then comes back drooling and catatonic, etc.) and made no apparent attempt earlier to do something in court about it. Granted, there may have been legal/strategic reasons something couldn't have been done earlier. But if so, then why try to minimize Melinda's role?

Considering Mike mentions that Carl had to act, I'm wondering if perhaps, since he admittedly hasn't seen the movie (it's only $1.50 to rent at Redbox!), he isn't aware of the scene in the film where Melinda calls Carl.

I'm not sure who is more annoying, the author or Mike, in pointing out that Mike hasn't seen the movie, followed by several paragraphs about what Mike thinks about the movie.

urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2016, 08:26:44 AM »

Mike seems more bitter than ever.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2016, 09:53:36 AM »

I don't believe she could have because either Brian himself or a family member had legal standing to challenge Landy's conservatorship; Melinda did not. However, the family could have challenged earlier using the leverage of his medical code violations. I think the family seem to have given up on the matter until Melinda Ledbetter, with the help of others, presented the information about the will.

Thanks Emily.  You said it all.  No one is arguing the point that Melinda needed a family member to take legal action, least of all the film.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2016, 10:06:40 AM »

Let's not forget that Landy was doing everything he could to prevent Brian's family from contacting him and vice versa. Melinda had more access to Brian in the first place -- and that she and Gloria Ramos could get the proof of Landy's malfeasance is a blessing.

One day in the late '80s I asked Carl about how Brian was doing -- he was very upset that he had no access to Brian. Make no mistake about it, Carl loved his big brother.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2016, 10:17:17 AM »

Thanks Emily.  You said it all.  No one is arguing the point that Melinda needed a family member to take legal action, least of all the film.

The frustrating thing is that Mike specifically feels the need to outright dismiss (or greatly diminish) Melinda's role in the matter, without just simply adding additional pieces of information he feels were omitted. Just because the film doesn't mention Stan specifically, the film doesn't take the step of saying that Stan DIDN'T have any role in the matter.

While I can understand if Mike feels the film doesn't show the entire story (if that's how he actually feels - who knows, since he won't fess up to having seen it!), I don't know why Mike can't just add that his brother played a role in the matter in addition to Melinda's actions, without feeling the need to specifically outright dismiss her, implying she didn't exist or play any role whatsoever in getting the ball rolling. Is that truly the narrative he wants people to believe? It's quite disheartening to see Mike's unrelated sour grapes toward Melinda mutate into nonsense venom and vitriol about a sensitive topic like this. I don't know if it's possibly rooted in sexism or just an anti-Melinda grudge about other unrelated stuff, but I can't wrap my head around the agenda he's trying to push. No way he'd be saying this nonsense if the reunion were still intact.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 10:46:55 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 09, 2016, 10:28:20 AM »

For a guy who has not seen the movie, never read the 'book', I would guess hasn't heard a solo album, definitely not been to a solo show, Mike sure has a lot to say about his cousin. Relying on second hand reports of the movie then commenting on aspects he doesn't like comes across as bitter. Even he should be impressed and appreciate the studio recreation in itself.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: March 09, 2016, 11:02:06 AM »

For a guy who has not seen the movie, never read the 'book', I would guess hasn't heard a solo album, definitely not been to a solo show, Mike sure has a lot to say about his cousin. Relying on second hand reports of the movie then commenting on aspects he doesn't like comes across as bitter. Even he should be impressed and appreciate the studio recreation in itself.

It also doesn't help when interviewers/writers stoke the flames with stuff like this:

But what about the on-screen Love being verbally cruel to Brian, regarding the latter’s musical ideas? “Total bull, a fallacy,” said Love. “Brian and I had always been friends.”

I guess I have to watch L&M again, but I don't recall Mike being portrayed as being "verbally cruel" to Brian. While Mike shouldn't just take someone else's interpretation of the film and run with it, it certainly doesn't help anything or anyone to give Mike this impression.

This sort of stuff reminds me of the flames being stoked in that Beard interview last year about "No Pier Pressure", where it seemed like Mike was acting extra hostile about the idea that someone somewhere was saying NPP "could have been a Beach Boys" album.

Surely, at the very least, Mike should be able to understand that he's going to come across as extra cranky and ignorant as to what he's talking about when he rants about subjects he admits he has little or no information about.

How many times did a Roger Ebert review start with, "Now, I haven't actually seen this movie, but here's what I think about it...."?

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2016, 11:10:23 AM »

It also doesn't help when interviewers/writers stoke the flames with stuff like this:

But what about the on-screen Love being verbally cruel to Brian, regarding the latter’s musical ideas? “Total bull, a fallacy,” said Love. “Brian and I had always been friends.”

I guess I have to watch L&M again, but I don't recall Mike being portrayed as being "verbally cruel" to Brian. While Mike shouldn't just take someone else's interpretation of the film and run with it, it certainly doesn't help anything or anyone to give Mike this impression.

This sort of stuff reminds me of the flames being stoked in that Beard interview last year about "No Pier Pressure", where it seemed like Mike was acting extra hostile about the idea that someone somewhere was saying NPP "could have been a Beach Boys" album.

Surely, at the very least, Mike should be able to understand that he's going to come across as extra cranky and ignorant as to what he's talking about when he rants about subjects he admits he has little or no information about.

How many times did a Roger Ebert review start with, "Now, I haven't actually seen this movie, but here's what I think about it...."?

And since when does someone being friends preclude them from possibly being verbally cruel to that person? As though the two are mutually exclusive.  (Plus, I thought they were family, not friends). Doesn't this denial directly contradict the Rolling Stone article where Mike finally fessed up just a bit to the remote possibility that his words may have come off a certain negative manner when aimed at a very sensitive person? That's all that really matters in the end.

With as many bad things that Mike has said about L&M without (?) having even seen the film, I can't imagine Brian and Melinda are regretting their decision to not invite Mike to a screening.  I can understand insiders having some issues with parts of it, but hare-brained attempts at over-correcting perceived inaccuracies come off as having little to no credibility.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 11:59:25 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2016, 11:31:11 AM »

Let's not forget that Landy was doing everything he could to prevent Brian's family from contacting him and vice versa. Melinda had more access to Brian in the first place -- and that she and Gloria Ramos could get the proof of Landy's malfeasance is a blessing.

One day in the late '80s I asked Carl about how Brian was doing -- he was very upset that he had no access to Brian. Make no mistake about it, Carl loved his big brother.

I don't think that anyone is saying that Carl didn't love Brian, but thanks for bringing it up anyway.  It is an important point, and it was made in the movie.  Landy had everyone blocked from access to Brian at a certain point, including Melinda.  Gloria was there, but essentially under "house arrest," caring enough about Brian to stay but fearful of Landy.  That's also made clear in the film.  It was frustrating for everyone.  In the end, only the family could take action, and Melinda and friends fought hard to make that happen, getting what was necessary to convince family and the authorities of the seriousness of the situation.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2016, 12:12:52 PM »

I know it's a sin, but I think Carl Wilson kind of failed Brian Wilson, when it comes down to it. All the stuff we're reading in the Pamplin thread, and then Landy in the 80s. Frankly, if you were around during that time and you weren't trying to help, I think you were part of the problem.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 09, 2016, 12:30:44 PM »

I know it's a sin, but I think Carl Wilson kind of failed Brian Wilson, when it comes down to it. All the stuff we're reading in the Pamplin thread, and then Landy in the 80s. Frankly, if you were around during that time and you weren't trying to help, I think you were part of the problem.

I can understand why some people would think this, and I partly agree... though I'd tend to think that Carl unfortunately may not have known of anything else he could have done at the time. I can't necessarily fault someone for not being well-informed of better solutions to the Landy problem. It is of course, very unfortunate in hindsight that Brian wasn't extracted sooner, and that it took Melinda's urging and conspiring to get it started.

Also... Carl, having just recently watched his other brother die in part due to not having anyone around who could help control his self-destructive behavior, may have clung to the thought for too long that no Landy would be worse for Brian than even an increasingly evil Landy.

I imagine that resentment emanating from Brian's side towards Brian's family (no doubt fueled by Landy, who surely wanted Brian distanced from his family out of Landy's own self-interest) might have made Brian's family just check out of the whole Landy situation a bit. Brian acting uncool to them (regardless if partly due to Brian being influenced by Landy) may not have been a particular motivating factor in getting them to deal with the excruciating intricacies of finding a way to extract Brian from the situation.

Perhaps in the way that Brian seemed to always need someone authoritative to take the reigns to get unpleasant but important stuff done, maybe Carl too needed that push in the form of Melinda.  It's quite hard to reconcile that Mike wants to paint Melinda as a complete non-factor in every way, shape, and form when it came to helping save Brian from Landy. We're not talking about songwriting credits here.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 12:37:58 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 09, 2016, 12:37:29 PM »

Carl was around during Landy I and Pamplin. What did he do to cut that sh*t out? What did he do to stop the hiring of Landy II? I understand that Carl Wilson was uber nonconfrontational and he had his own issues, so it's perhaps understandable that he didn't help, but to pat him on the back and call him a hero for standing to the side watching his brother being abused for 15 years, then finally doing something, is off.
And that goes for all the rest of them, not just Carl. What a massive failure Brian Wilson's supposed support system turned out to be.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx