gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680955 Posts in 27623 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 10, 2024, 02:39:19 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: BBs scary travel experiences, or mishaps on the road  (Read 9341 times)
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2016, 04:22:45 AM »

Another one in my book-October 10 1981: "The group's jet had engine trouble in South Bend (Indiana) and they chartered two small planes to get them to Terre Haute (Indiana).  They arrived at the venue considerably late and were greeted with hisses and boos by the restless crowd.  Some of the backup musicians were on a slower plane and missed the show altogether, including (drummer) Bobby Figueroa.  The drummer from (opening act) Red Ryder filled in."
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2016, 04:34:39 AM »

Also May 2 1969-Mike had taken a second trip to India to visit Maharishi and he got snowed in and couldn't get back in time for a gig in Oklahoma, so they played without him (Billy Hinsche was tagging along on that trip-not as a musician but just as Carl's brother-in-law-and he was roped in to help cover Mike's absence.  According to their road manager-no one complained.   It wasn't the last time that Mike missed some shows-but it was a rarity.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2016, 04:54:03 PM »

Personally my favorite bbs road story is the time a guard wouldn't let you them into the Ohio state fairgrounds until they finally bought tickets.  He simply didn't have a clue who they were and wasn't letting anyone pass through without paying
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2016, 05:20:23 PM »

Sort of on topic...were The Beach Boys on the road on 9/11?
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2016, 05:38:46 PM »

http://www.setlist.fm/search?page=2&query=artist:%28The+Beach+Boys%29+date:%5B2001-01-01+TO+2001-12-31%5D

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2016, 08:24:04 PM »

Thanks. One would assume they had originally scheduled shows between 7th and 14th?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2016, 01:20:06 AM »

If so, no proof has yet been found.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2016, 09:54:35 AM »

I wonder what the atmosphere/vibe was like at those first post-9/11 BB shows.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2016, 02:04:40 PM »

If so, no proof has yet been found.

A cached version of the BBFC tour dates page, captured in August 2001, doesn't quite match the setlist.fm website, but it shows nothing between a 9/7 show and a 9/15 show. That BBFC suggests two shows on 9/15 rather than a show each on 9/14 and 9/15 as shown on setlist.fm. The venues/cities for the three or four shows prior don't quite match up either.

Here's the BBFC "archive" link: https://web.archive.org/web/20010802024116/http://beachboysfanclub.com/bbtours.htm

Either way, these two sources both show no shows from 9/8 to 9/13. That sort of gap wouldn't have been uncommon, especially after the big summer tour rush where dates get packed in tighter.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2016, 02:22:59 PM »

Three shows - one on the 14th, two on the 15th.  According to 10452.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 02:25:06 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2016, 04:58:18 PM »

One thing that ticks me off is people quoting from the setlist site (not Eric 's wonderful one) because almost all the old shows they list were copied from the research Andrew and I did for bellagio over the years. Only difference is that when we find an error at bellagio we update it while those other sites that copied us just keep the old errors we've corrected.  What I'm saying is that the only accurate source of such info is the gigs and sessions section of bellagio hosted by esq and compiled by Andrew and I with help and input from friends like c man and bgas
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2016, 05:01:29 PM »

By the way if you check out bellagio gigs and sessions you'll see that Brian canceled a scheduled tour of Japan due to 9/11
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2016, 05:54:38 PM »

One thing that ticks me off is people quoting from the setlist site (not Eric 's wonderful one) because almost all the old shows they list were copied from the research Andrew and I did for bellagio over the years. Only difference is that when we find an error at bellagio we update it while those other sites that copied us just keep the old errors we've corrected.  What I'm saying is that the only accurate source of such info is the gigs and sessions section of bellagio hosted by esq and compiled by Andrew and I with help and input from friends like c man and bgas
Apologies, I was using setlist to look up another artist, and so when I saw that question, I just quickly looked it up on there.

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2016, 11:03:20 PM »

Me too. And here is the apposite place to point out that the vast, vast majority of the concert research is Ian's. Which is why I can say without fear of blowing my own trumpet (well, too much...) that said section of 10452 is the very best online resource for Beach Boys concerts information 1961-date. Odd how many posters here seem to either be unaware of it, or ignore it.

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2016, 06:07:55 AM »

Nota bene about the tour listings on BBFC's website, private shows don't get listed there.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2016, 06:08:30 AM »

Right-but we list as many as we've found on Bellagio
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2016, 06:13:00 AM »

Personally my favorite bbs road story is the time a guard wouldn't let you them into the Ohio state fairgrounds until they finally bought tickets.  He simply didn't have a clue who they were and wasn't letting anyone pass through without paying

What year did that happen? I saw The Beach Boys play at the Ohio State Fair multiple times. 1983, 86, 88. I believe they also played there in 74 and 82.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 06:21:40 AM by Moon Dawg » Logged
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2016, 11:10:03 AM »

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2016, 11:48:41 AM »

Personally my favorite bbs road story is the time a guard wouldn't let you them into the Ohio state fairgrounds until they finally bought tickets.  He simply didn't have a clue who they were and wasn't letting anyone pass through without paying

What year did that happen? I saw The Beach Boys play at the Ohio State Fair multiple times. 1983, 86, 88. I believe they also played there in 74 and 82.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... why not try looking on 10452 ?

Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2016, 12:09:04 PM »

Instructional thread, in that I generally go to Bellagio before I post anything. However, I usually only reference the Timeline section... Now I know that the show listing located there is also quite exhaustive!

And yes, seeing the bands schedule in September 2001, it's logical, coming off some weekend gigs, that they were off the road until the Vegas engagements the following weekend.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2016, 02:12:18 AM »

Thanks for the compliment on my site, although it is in major need of updating. I do plan to do a major update at some point. SetlIist.fm is cool in a way, but it's the Wikipedia of setlists. Anyone can contribute and change and edit at will, and with that comes a lot of uncertainty. Part of what takes so long when I post setlists on the archive is that I check to see if things make sense in context, and I try not to post "from memory" setlists unless they are from eras that are underrepresented, and I'll always make a note of it. Undoubtedly, there are still inaccuracies on my site, but I'd like to think the quality control I implemented over the years made a difference!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2016, 03:12:41 AM »

The 11th was a Tues so unlikely I think.

As mentioned, Sept 14 and 15 in Vegas. Shows rescheduled for Nov that year....

* The Beach Boys, who were to have performed at the Stratosphere's Outdoor Events Center tonight and Saturday, have changed their dates to Nov. 3-4.

http://lasvegassun.com/news/2001/sep/14/several-performers-cancel-las-vegas-shows/
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 03:19:06 AM by Pretty Funky » Logged
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2016, 03:38:53 AM »

To quote from my book under August 15 and 16 1983: "when the group showed up in their van at 3:30 pm for their Monday appearance at the fair, the security guard at the gate didn't recognize them and refused to let them in until they paid the $4.00 admission price. The beach boys said it was the first time they ever had to pay to get into their own show."
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2016, 04:43:28 PM »

I was there. If memory serves, the lineup consisted of Mike, Carl, Al, Bruce plus band. Very hot. Aside from the big hits they did "Imagine" w/ Mike on lead and maybe "Rockin' All Over the World" from Carl's second solo LP.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2016, 08:43:36 AM »

Ian is totally right about setlist.fm. It's a mess there.

What setlist.fm is pretty okay for is *contemporary* setlists; indeed, I think we wouldn't have a number of BW setlists from recent tours (and Mike's tour too) were it not for that website. So when people are going to shows and then posting them on that website, that is generally reliable (though obviously we still have to hope people write it down correctly).

But for old stuff, it's a mess. You can tell someone went through and copied Eric's site, Bellagio, and also copied over info from mis-dated bootlegs. Some people have entered solo Al shows as "Beach Boys" shows, resulting in double entries, and so on. I've gone on there and had them remove non-existent shows and mis-attributed shows. For instance, the 10/19/2000 Brian Wilson show never occurred, but usually appears on tour dates lists because it was part of the main tour announcement.

Also, what I'm seeing more of is some of the "new" setlists are being posted by people, presumably the same people that can just sit home all day and update dead celebrities' wiki pages the moment they die, and are posting setlists based off of random online reports. Or, assuming a setlist for one day is the same as the previous day. There's one "user" on setlist.fm with a BB handle that seems to obsessively change, then un-do, then re-do, then un-do changes to BB and BW setlists, jumping the gun and trying to "correct" people.

As Eric mentioned, it's "Wikipedia" for setlists, and should be weighed accordingly. The only other hypothetical thing I've seen that it's occasionally good for is when people outside of any BB fan communities might have info and post it there. I've seen times when nobody on *any* of the BB-related boards seems to have gone to a gig or can post a setlist, and then it turns up on that website.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx