gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681064 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 20, 2024, 02:01:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian to 'write' autobiography  (Read 35936 times)
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 15, 2013, 07:47:35 PM »

This just increases the odds that Mike Love writes a book and gives his side of the story.  Unlike Brian, I think Mike's memory is very much intact and he will provide some very colorful stories about life over the years with the Wilsons.  That's just a guess on my part.l
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 15, 2013, 08:05:30 PM »

Melinda was fine during that Larry King interview. A very loving, supportive wife.

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/larry-king-live/n10300/

I had missed this interview with Larry King where Brian discusses his book.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: April 15, 2013, 10:49:21 PM »

Melinda was fine during that Larry King interview. A very loving, supportive wife.

I recall Brian getting uncharacteristically snappy with her when she tried to take a pop at Marilyn.

(edit: Oops - forestalled.)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 10:52:04 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
halblaineisgood
« Reply #78 on: April 15, 2013, 10:51:45 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 12:23:20 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: April 15, 2013, 11:04:50 PM »

LOL

Certainly got Brian's laugh down

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 15, 2013, 11:10:23 PM »

Melinda might be a great lady, but she didn't come off well on that Larry King show. Brian would answer a question, then Melinda would take over and correct his answer.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: April 15, 2013, 11:20:30 PM »

By 2015, actuarially speaking, there's a fair chance Brian won't be here any more (likewise some of us), so a lot of these observations may be moot. I'll say it now and get it out of the way: while this projected volume won't - could not possibly - be as offensive to the likes of us as the pseudobiography, I think it will have to be cast in much the same mould, because as stated before, I can't see that Brian's recall for detail will have improved over the last 22-odd years. I think a very good format would be that of Crosby's autobiog as written with Carl Gottleib: maybe one third by The Cros, one third by Gottleib filling in the background and one third contributions by other parties involved. Hopefully Fine will be briefed in the arcane craft of interviewing Brian and we won't get another set of "yes/no/I don't remember" responses fleshed out with the (uncredited) words of others. I also hope it has a balanced views of Brian's past collaborators, bandmates and other folk in his life: one of the best aspects of the excellent Carlin book was how even-handed he was with everyone, to no-one's detriment. However, I'd be prepared for incoming lawsuits circa 2016, were I the publishers. Also, being authorised, I can see key figures declining interview requests.

One final point - as there is now a wealth of accurate, minutely documented material available both in print and online, there is no possible excuse for any factual errors.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 15, 2013, 11:21:17 PM »

LOL

I saw that show the night it first aired, back in Oct 1992 - over a year after Brian's book was published. I still wonder why Larry King in the sketch keeps saying the book was published by Simon & Schuster when it was actually published by Harper Collins.

Sinead O'Connor was the musical guest - yes, this was the night she tore up the picture of the Pope on-camera.

Tim Robbins does a pretty good job of imitating Brian's speech. As it happens, Tim's dad Gil Robbins was in the folk outfit the Highwaymen, which went to #13 on the charts in early 1961 with a version of "Cotton Fields" that was probably the recording that familiarized Al with the song.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 16, 2013, 12:06:15 AM »

LOL

I saw that show the night it first aired, back in Oct 1992 - over a year after Brian's book was published. I still wonder why Larry King in the sketch keeps saying the book was published by Simon & Schuster when it was actually published by Harper Collins.

Sinead O'Connor was the musical guest - yes, this was the night she tore up the picture of the Pope on-camera.

Tim Robbins does a pretty good job of imitating Brian's speech. As it happens, Tim's dad Gil Robbins was in the folk outfit the Highwaymen, which went to #13 on the charts in early 1961 with a version of "Cotton Fields" that was probably the recording that familiarized Al with the song.
Cool backstory on the skit..

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 16, 2013, 01:15:53 AM »

By 2015, actuarially speaking, there's a fair chance Brian won't be here any more (likewise some of us), so a lot of these observations may be moot. I'll say it now and get it out of the way: while this projected volume won't - could not possibly - be as offensive to the likes of us as the pseudobiography, I think it will have to be cast in much the same mould, because as stated before, I can't see that Brian's recall for detail will have improved over the last 22-odd years. I think a very good format would be that of Crosby's autobiog as written with Carl Gottleib: maybe one third by The Cros, one third by Gottleib filling in the background and one third contributions by other parties involved. Hopefully Fine will be briefed in the arcane craft of interviewing Brian and we won't get another set of "yes/no/I don't remember" responses fleshed out with the (uncredited) words of others. I also hope it has a balanced views of Brian's past collaborators, bandmates and other folk in his life: one of the best aspects of the excellent Carlin book was how even-handed he was with everyone, to no-one's detriment. However, I'd be prepared for incoming lawsuits circa 2016, were I the publishers. Also, being authorised, I can see key figures declining interview requests.

One final point - as there is now a wealth of accurate, minutely documented material available both in print and online, there is no possible excuse for any factual errors.

you think his health will dip so suddenly? He managed to get through a massive tour (albeit with back problems) and seems like he's very much well and alive. Ofc at that age after that life. his health might always be precarious.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: April 16, 2013, 03:25:51 AM »

We all say 'Oh, who's Melinda to say this about Mike/Carl/The Band' etc, but who do you reckon she hears it from? She doesn't lay down next to David Leaf every night....

Neither did Landy, but did he actually... no, I don't want to think that. Lips Sealed

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 16, 2013, 04:32:52 AM »

By 2015, actuarially speaking, there's a fair chance Brian won't be here any more (likewise some of us), so a lot of these observations may be moot.

What a tasteless comment. 
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 04:38:13 AM by Moon Dawg » Logged
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 16, 2013, 04:53:32 AM »

Yeah, why speculate that Brian might be dead in the next two years. We never know, obviously, so it is a possibility, but it's just as likely that he'll be around in 2025 as 2015, for all we know.

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 16, 2013, 05:05:09 AM »

This just increases the odds that Mike Love writes a book and gives his side of the story.  Unlike Brian, I think Mike's memory is very much intact and he will provide some very colorful stories about life over the years with the Wilsons.  That's just a guess on my part.l
His memory is intact, but I think Mike would rather spin his "revisionist" history of the BBs. Half the book would be the story of "kokomo".

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 16, 2013, 05:09:42 AM »

Yeah, why speculate that Brian might be dead in the next two years. We never know, obviously, so it is a possibility, but it's just as likely that he'll be around in 2025 as 2015, for all we know.

AGD sounds annoyed that Brian is doing a book. Doubtless he knows more about Brian's life than Brian.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 16, 2013, 05:22:38 AM »

Call me mr Positive (um, that title has been claimed, I hear...) but:

I am optimistic about the book, and will eagerly await it. Jason Fine is mucho OK, and he has an advantage: he knows what he should not do, considering the status of the 1992 attempt with Todd Gold (and prompter Eugene Landy).

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 16, 2013, 06:35:04 AM »

By 2015, actuarially speaking, there's a fair chance Brian won't be here any more (likewise some of us), so a lot of these observations may be moot.

http://www.ssa.gov/oact/STATS/table4c6.html

At least according to U.S. government actuarial tables, Brian's average life expectancy, as a 70-year-old male, now stands at nearly 14 more years.

EDIT: Nevermind. That would be if Brian had the life expectancy of someone born in 2007, if I read correctly. Regardless, if you make it to 70, your chances are generally pretty high of making it to 80 or beyond.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 06:37:35 AM by Wirestone » Logged
Nicko1234
« Reply #92 on: April 16, 2013, 06:43:02 AM »

It's amazing how this board can translate the news of 'Beach Boys announces autobiography' into 'Beach Boy is about to croak'.  Shocked
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 16, 2013, 07:00:08 AM »

It's amazing how this board can translate the news of 'Beach Boys announces autobiography' into 'Beach Boy is about to croak'.  Shocked

I feel a 'Live v Croak' thread about to start

I get the feeling that this is just another marketing tool to go along with the biopic, although, an updated 'autobiography' would be welcome.
Again, I guess we'll all be on here arguing how much of it is Brian's and how much is Melinda's

I wonder if there's enough time to study and become one of Mike's lawyers. I might treat myself to the Smile surfboard package with the first hour's earnings!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 16, 2013, 07:02:28 AM »

Talking about Brian's mortality is taking fandom too far.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 16, 2013, 07:05:20 AM »

Don't talk about Brian's mortality it's way too depressing  Embarrassed

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #96 on: April 16, 2013, 07:09:46 AM »

What a tasteless comment. 
More arrogance from "above". Roll Eyes
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 16, 2013, 07:16:20 AM »

I wonder if AGD will do Mike's biography.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 16, 2013, 07:33:33 AM »

"Mein Kampf - The Mike Love Story"

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #99 on: April 16, 2013, 07:34:30 AM »

I wonder if AGD will do Mike's biography.
Yes! Perfect-"The Agdster pontificates on the Lovester-We'll have white smoke and a new Pope.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx