gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680955 Posts in 27623 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 09, 2024, 10:53:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian to 'write' autobiography  (Read 35799 times)
oldsurferdude
« Reply #100 on: April 16, 2013, 07:36:15 AM »

"Mein Kampf - The Mike Love Story"
w00t! Thumbs Up High Five
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 16, 2013, 07:43:34 AM »

Cheesy

More apt than some folks might think. Hitler's book (which I didn't read) was much written out of feeling unacknowledged, misrepresented, not valued enough for what he thought he had accomplished (before the tyranny, mind).

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 16, 2013, 07:50:09 AM »

One can debate about AGD's comment being tasteless or not ... but if you are of the opinion that that's the case, then above quote + respons - IMO - are at least as offensive.

(or am I missing the joke here?)

Can we please get back on topic?

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 16, 2013, 07:53:19 AM »

It's really just a joke. I love Mike I don't think he's Hitler.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 16, 2013, 08:01:10 AM »

It's cool. I just don't want to see this topic derail...

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 16, 2013, 08:14:47 AM »

It won't, mr Mod sir. I am sure that every member sees the sarcasm and lack of bad intent.

I don't want the thread to derail... but I now am reminded of a wicked joke here, couple of years ago, where Hitler was fired by his own gang, a parody of Brian getting fired by his own band. Will use the search function.

Please continue with all matters autobiographical...

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 16, 2013, 08:20:16 AM »

When I first read that Brian was going to write his autobiography, I didn't get the feeling that Melinda was trying to "beat the clock" so to speak. But, whenever Brian announces these "projects" - OTHER THAN AN ALBUM OF ORIGINAL SONGS!!!!!! Shocked - I can't help but think that Melinda will try to get EVERYTHING she possibly can out of a Brian Wilson solo career. I mean, for better or worse, in addition to being his wife, she is truly a manager and a promoter.

I sometimes find it ironic (is that the right word?), maybe frustrating, that Melinda wasn't around in the late 1960's thru the 1970's when Brian was still functioning at a high level and could've used someone like her (and that's not a knock at Marilyn Wilson BTW), and then when Melinda comes into Brian's life and is getting all of this stuff released, Brian doesn't quite have the goods to deliver it in the ways he used to. Just my opinion...
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 08:34:37 AM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 16, 2013, 09:12:33 AM »

When I first read that Brian was going to write his autobiography, I didn't get the feeling that Melinda was trying to "beat the clock" so to speak. But, whenever Brian announces these "projects" - OTHER THAN AN ALBUM OF ORIGINAL SONGS!!!!!! Shocked - I can't help but think that Melinda will try to get EVERYTHING she possibly can out of a Brian Wilson solo career. I mean, for better or worse, in addition to being his wife, she is truly a manager and a promoter.

I sometimes find it ironic (is that the right word?), maybe frustrating, that Melinda wasn't around in the late 1960's thru the 1970's when Brian was still functioning at a high level and could've used someone like her (and that's not a knock at Marilyn Wilson BTW), and then when Melinda comes into Brian's life and is getting all of this stuff released, Brian doesn't quite have the goods to deliver it in the ways he used to. Just my opinion...

Difficult points. Let's not forget that Melinda is of enormous support to Brian, in terms of providing emotional stability and safety. I am trying to visualise where Brian would have been without her... I am almost certain that he'd be less well off, health- and otherwise.

Your hypothesis about Melinda having been around him much earlier in his life is intriguing. Indeed, we can't blame Marilyn for what happened - she got confronted pretty early in her life with a husband and father of two who'd lost his mental stability. And had to deal with many impossible situations for a very long time. I can see your point, in that the quite independent and strong personality of Melinda could have had a very positive influence on Bri, in terms of guidance and advice. I have a hunch that she'd have seen quite soon that Landy wouldn't be of benefit to Brian.

Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #108 on: April 16, 2013, 09:31:45 AM »

It won't, mr Mod sir. I am sure that every member sees the sarcasm and lack of bad intent.

I don't want the thread to derail... but I now am reminded of a wicked joke here, couple of years ago, where Hitler was fired by his own gang, a parody of Brian getting fired by his own band. Will use the search function.

Please continue with all matters autobiographical...

Ha ha, that was me. And the Bruce pasteover was me  Evil

Mein Kampf
By Adolph Hitler
And Tod Gold

I Imagined the headlines. Adolph Hitler. Third Reich Genius. Fired From Party.
Fired.
The word was absolutely foreign to me, impossible to understand or accept. I sat motionless, speechless, empassive.
"Listen to what we're saying", said Josef Goebbals, the Nazis' propaganda minister.
The Party was seated around a large conference table, watching my reaction to the letter they had given me to read. I read it several times then  glanced at each of my party members - stone faced Goebbals, baby faced Heinreich Himmler. My friend since high school Hermann Goerring. The word "terminated", and "final solution" resonated in my syrapy brain. In shock, I didn't know what to think, or how to react.
"I'm fired?" I asked. "Is that what you're telling me?"
"That's right", Goebbals said.
"Fired", I still didn't believe it. "What the f**k", I founded the Nazis!"

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 16, 2013, 09:36:36 AM »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy (many times over) -

it's still brilliant, Stephen, thanks for re-posting!

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 16, 2013, 10:03:17 AM »

He's not exactly overworked, is he?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Nicko1234
« Reply #111 on: April 16, 2013, 11:03:39 AM »

Difficult points. Let's not forget that Melinda is of enormous support to Brian, in terms of providing emotional stability and safety. I am trying to visualise where Brian would have been without her... I am almost certain that he'd be less well off, health- and otherwise.

Your hypothesis about Melinda having been around him much earlier in his life is intriguing. Indeed, we can't blame Marilyn for what happened - she got confronted pretty early in her life with a husband and father of two who'd lost his mental stability. And had to deal with many impossible situations for a very long time. I can see your point, in that the quite independent and strong personality of Melinda could have had a very positive influence on Bri, in terms of guidance and advice. I have a hunch that she'd have seen quite soon that Landy wouldn't be of benefit to Brian.

Brian was in a completely different condition back then though.

And the 70s was a completely different time in terms of the treatment of mental illnesses.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 16, 2013, 11:47:24 AM »

Brian was in a completely different condition back then though.

And the 70s was a completely different time in terms of the treatment of mental illnesses.

That's a good point. Melinda once said something about how Marilyn should have brought Brian to UCLA for treatment since they lived so close and UCLA has all the latest treatments. But I'm pretty sure in the early '70s UCLA had the same treatments as anyone else.  Which Brian was already trying.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 16, 2013, 12:10:22 PM »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy (many times over) -

it's still brilliant, Stephen, thanks for re-posting!
Stephen has a certain Monty Python influence.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 16, 2013, 12:43:53 PM »

When you are in active chemical dependence, as Brian was in the 70s, no amount of medical intervention will help. To recover from CD, one has to WANT to get well, which Brian didn't until post Landy. That is why Brian jumped on Melinda when the subject of UCLA came up.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
oldsurferdude
« Reply #115 on: April 16, 2013, 01:04:36 PM »

But,  I see topics derail on a daily basis. Isn't that the normal progression of any given thread to expand on the OP? Inevitably, most of these threads go full circle anyway, so what's the  problem here?
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 16, 2013, 02:30:59 PM »

But,  I see topics derail on a daily basis. Isn't that the normal progression of any given thread to expand on the OP? Inevitably, most of these threads go full circle anyway, so what's the  problem here?

Some topics derail and and the end go full circle. And some topics derail and definitely don't go full circle, but end up being blocked + a member or 2 getting banned again.
Reading the last pages of this topicI foresaw (although not intentionally) a typical example of the latter one. And I've seen too many of those lately, which I'd rather prevent happening if possible. That's all.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: April 16, 2013, 02:40:31 PM »

By 2015, actuarially speaking, there's a fair chance Brian won't be here any more (likewise some of us), so a lot of these observations may be moot.

http://www.ssa.gov/oact/STATS/table4c6.html

At least according to U.S. government actuarial tables, Brian's average life expectancy, as a 70-year-old male, now stands at nearly 14 more years.

EDIT: Nevermind. That would be if Brian had the life expectancy of someone born in 2007, if I read correctly. Regardless, if you make it to 70, your chances are generally pretty high of making it to 80 or beyond.

Did those stats take into account grossly overeating and hoovering up every drug known to man for an extended spell ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: April 16, 2013, 02:43:35 PM »

Yeah, why speculate that Brian might be dead in the next two years. We never know, obviously, so it is a possibility, but it's just as likely that he'll be around in 2025 as 2015, for all we know.

AGD sounds annoyed that Brian is doing a book. Doubtless he knows more about Brian's life than Brian.

That I seriously doubt, but I've forgotten more than you could ever dream of knowing, sonny.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: April 16, 2013, 02:45:44 PM »

It's amazing how this board can translate the news of 'Beach Boys announces autobiography' into 'Beach Boy is about to croak'.  Shocked

Care to point out exactly where I said anything remotely like that ? You cannot, because I didn't, so kindly don't put words into my mouth.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: April 16, 2013, 02:57:19 PM »

It's amazing how this board can translate the news of 'Beach Boys announces autobiography' into 'Beach Boy is about to croak'.  Shocked

Care to point out exactly where I said anything remotely like that ? You cannot, because I didn't, so kindly don't put words into my mouth.

C'mon now Andrew ,  you really think YOU"RE the Board?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Nicko1234
« Reply #121 on: April 16, 2013, 03:04:18 PM »

I didn't say that you did but you knew very well that by making the comment you did you were going to turn the thread from being about Brian's autobiography into it being about his mortality.

Anyway, the admin have just said that this thread should get back on topic so maybe you should show a little respect for that and stop clogging it up with your self-worshipping posts.  Smiley
Nicko1234
« Reply #122 on: April 16, 2013, 03:12:59 PM »

Back on topic...

While I would have some reservations about buying this 'autobiography', it really ought to be a good read and should help bring more fans to Brian and The Beach Boys. Any autobiography will be biased and skewed no matter how good the writer's intentions and this one at least has great subject matter. I would have thought that one of the biggest challenges will be to cram everything into one volume but even if this doesn't have masses of new information for the hardcore fans, it should still have enough to fascinate music fans in general and those with a passing interest in the group.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: April 16, 2013, 03:55:39 PM »

I didn't say that you did but you knew very well that by making the comment you did you were going to turn the thread from being about Brian's autobiography into it being about his mortality.

Anyway, the admin have just said that this thread should get back on topic so maybe you should show a little respect for that and stop clogging it up with your self-worshipping posts.  Smiley

Read my post again: the bulk of it is about how the book will be inevitably compromised and I suggest a reasonable framework for it, one that has worked very well in another instance... yet all anyone comments on is my passing comment on a statistical possibility. I did not say "Brian's going to croak anytime now" or anything like it, but patently it suits some posters here to assume that I did. Precisely how that is self-worshipping is beyond my ken and I suspect yours as well.

Nicko1234
« Reply #124 on: April 16, 2013, 04:09:41 PM »

Read my post again: the bulk of it is about how the book will be inevitably compromised and I suggest a reasonable framework for it, one that has worked very well in another instance... yet all anyone comments on is my passing comment on a statistical possibility. I did not say "Brian's going to croak anytime now" or anything like it, but patently it suits some posters here to assume that I did. Precisely how that is self-worshipping is beyond my ken and I suspect yours as well.

You are NOT the board. Get over yourself.

As I said, the admin have asked that things get back on topic. Not such a difficult request surely.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx