gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681063 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 19, 2024, 11:16:10 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2016 New Music  (Read 34130 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 10, 2016, 06:23:35 AM »

I've got those two albums playing now, on shuffle, so the songs are popping up randomly, and I feel like I should say something nicer about Parquet Courts. I don't want to come off as too dismissive just because of their obvious lineage. I am enjoying the listen, not just thinking about them. "Pathos Prairie," for example, has a nice bounce to it and great guitar tones.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 10, 2016, 06:48:01 AM »

This week is a new release I'm somewhat excited about: Sam Beam and Jesca Hoop's duet album, Love Letter For Fire. Beam is, of course, Iron & Wine, and while many of his earlier fans have been turned off by his trip from lo-fi to technicolor, I've actually loved it ... up until the last go-round. I thought Ghost on Ghost was fine, but didn't have the songs of the predecessors. And regardless of arrangement and production, the songs matter. I thought The Shepherd's Dog was one of the top 10-15 albums of this century, and Kiss Each Other Clean was really good. But then I felt like Ghost on Ghost was Beam jumping at a chance to make an album with great musicians ... but sadly lacking material. Just my impression.

Two tracks have been released so far from Love Letter For Fire, and the simple beauty of two-part vocal harmony is refreshing. The tracks are far simpler, just basic roots combos. I can't say how good each song on the album is, it not having been released yet, but these songs are beautiful, thoroughly enjoyable for people into this sort of thing. So Friday will be a good day for me.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 13, 2016, 03:01:26 PM »

Some new Shins teased. I suspect a certain someone here will want to hear this...

http://pitchfork.com/news/62671-the-shins-tease-more-new-music-listen/

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 13, 2016, 05:54:20 PM »

Some new Shins teased. I suspect a certain someone here will want to hear this...

http://pitchfork.com/news/62671-the-shins-tease-more-new-music-listen/
And I wonder who that could be....

Honestly it's been a long couple of weeks so this was just the thing to make my day. Thank you, haha. It sounds sorta like WTNA and POM had a baby, which is fine with me.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 13, 2016, 11:06:17 PM »

The new Lush comeback 'Blind Spot' EP is very nice. Also, for fans of The Heavy Blinkers ilk of gauzy chamber pop, the Giorgio Tuma album 'This Life Denied Me Your Love' is excellent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2v9gEyIOs0&list=PLzUlxqpib2LqthjBmUgfFHiE--cRLtCNj&index=2
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 11:19:51 PM by krabklaw » Logged

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
yonderhillside
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 14, 2016, 05:52:09 AM »

Also, for fans of The Heavy Blinkers ilk of gauzy chamber pop, the Giorgio Tuma album 'This Life Denied Me Your Love' is excellent.

I'm really digging this. Thanks! I also thought I'd give Parquet Courts a try since everyone seems to be hawking them - and turns out I love it. It's only taken me this long to actually check it out because I have built some wall in my mind that rejects everything new. I'm working on tearing it down though, with some help from you folks.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 14, 2016, 03:22:35 PM »

Was anyone else aware of the new Radiohead album being released this year?

Yeah, I recall hearing that.

And a little more info today: per their manager, it's out in May and "like nothing like you've ever heard." (I find that hard to believe.)

http://pitchfork.com/news/62800-radiohead-new-album-out-in-june-manager-says/

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 14, 2016, 10:30:44 PM »

Radiohead's new album has an anticipated release date for this June.

Also, Band of Horses are to release new music, too.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 15, 2016, 05:27:27 AM »

May, per Pitchfork / their manager. (See previous post.)

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 15, 2016, 07:30:01 AM »

Sam Beam & Jesca Hoop, Love Letter for Fire
I mentioned it earlier.

This week is a new release I'm somewhat excited about: Sam Beam and Jesca Hoop's duet album, Love Letter For Fire. Beam is, of course, Iron & Wine, and while many of his earlier fans have been turned off by his trip from lo-fi to technicolor, I've actually loved it ... up until the last go-round. I thought Ghost on Ghost was fine, but didn't have the songs of the predecessors. And regardless of arrangement and production, the songs matter. I thought The Shepherd's Dog was one of the top 10-15 albums of this century, and Kiss Each Other Clean was really good. But then I felt like Ghost on Ghost was Beam jumping at a chance to make an album with great musicians ... but sadly lacking material. Just my impression.

Two tracks have been released so far from Love Letter For Fire, and the simple beauty of two-part vocal harmony is refreshing. The tracks are far simpler, just basic roots combos. I can't say how good each song on the album is, it not having been released yet, but these songs are beautiful, thoroughly enjoyable for people into this sort of thing. So Friday will be a good day for me.

A few more tracks were released this week and now the album is out in full. Working from home, I've been able to have it playing aloud this morning ... about three times through, now. I don't have much to say that goes beyond what I said already, but would expand the comment to include the whole album: these songs are beautiful, thoroughly enjoyable for people into this sort of thing.

This is immediately among my five best albums of the year so far. It's not as good as Blackstar, but there isn't another album I could immediately say is better than this one. It's right in there with Loretta Lynn, Willie Nelson, Kendrick Lamar, Lake Street Dive, Carrie Rodriguez, and my other so-far-favorites.

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 15, 2016, 07:34:08 AM »

Oh, I don't really follow Radiohead. I just saw this: http://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/apr/15/radiohead-album-june.

Of course, in the music world, a projcted release for date X is really X+60 days Tongue

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 15, 2016, 07:49:49 AM »

Oh, I don't really follow Radiohead. I just saw this: http://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/apr/15/radiohead-album-june.

Of course, in the music world, a projcted release for date X is really X+60 days Tongue

Or x+37 years, or maybe even x-60 days. One never knows until it's out.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 15, 2016, 07:52:39 AM »

Or x+37 years, or maybe even x-60 days. One never knows until it's out.

OK, my source is discredited: Pitchfork has posted an updated news item saying June, too. I lose. Dang.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 15, 2016, 08:17:24 AM »

Going back to the beginning of last month, a band named Sheer Mag released their third EP, III. There's a lot of sensationalism about them and tornadoes on the internet, so if that catches your interest, feel free to look it up. I will say that the woman up front has a great voice, and her band is solid. They write and perform good songs. They make soulful punk music. This is a music video they made for a song from their most recent EP. They have other music videos and songs, too.

I'm quoting this and mentioning one of my favorite songs of theirs to encourage at least one person to give them a chance.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 15, 2016, 08:35:33 AM »

I like the bass particularly. It's too good a song for that production style in my opinion: it would benefit from cleaner sounds and an arrangement with more texture. But then again, when you're going for a punk sound, well, that's what that is. Just not to my taste. But the song itself is pretty cool, and as I said, I liked the bass.

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 15, 2016, 03:12:01 PM »

I hope people buy this.  Sam, like all of 'em, wants a popular hit album.  Since Ghost on Ghost he has made an effort to go back to what his early fans kept bitching about.  The return of solo acoustic shows - no strings, no horns, just Sam and a guitar.  He now tries to please both types of audiences he has.  Me, I want the strings, horns, electric guitar... a full band.  A mid-set acoustic bit is enough of that for me.  The 2013 Spring Ghost tour was his very best.

By February 2014 he was mixing in the solo tour idea, playing only some dates with a stripped down band.  This is when Jesca came into the picture.  Here is an example, the not yet titled "Kiss Me Quick" (from the new album) :  https://youtu.be/Co0de3Gcrqc    That whole show is up if you want to see everything they played.  As I do with the other people who populate Sam's world, I checked out her albums.  She was surprisingly good.  I'm a big elbow/Guy Garvey fan.  Although I complain about Modern music, some of it does hit a chord with me.  Here's a beautiful duet she did with Guy, "Murder of Birds" :  https://youtu.be/35EeM5DHgRU    She's looking for a wide audience, so some of her music, like "Hospital" takes her in a direction I don't care for.  She also sometimes straps on an electric guitar and rocks it up.  I love this, "Born To" :  https://youtu.be/7bxpLcNod80    I think she was trying to get a message through to Stipe with that make-up job.

NPR has been streaming the album for a week, but I only played about half of them.  Every track I played was laid-back.  I have it ordered, and want to wait til it's in my hands so I can play it on the big system for the first listen.  He has a challenge ahead to top last years exceptional Sing Into My Mouth.  Unlike last year, Sam and Jesca will be touring most of the year.  Sam and Ben only briefly supported their album with a dozen shows.  It looks like Jesca will be doing some solo shows as well.  Garvey is in charge of this years Meltdown festival at the Southbank Centre 10-19 June, celebrating his first solo album, Courting The Squall (2015).  He has chosen Jesca as the support slot for his appearance at the festival on the 17th at the Royal Festival Hall.  One of the great stops on the Sam & Jesca tour will be at the beautiful Union Chapel in London on 1 September.

Before I sign-off, let me say, just to make it clear how much I enjoy Sam's music... Other than Brian Wilson, Sam is my favorite living musician.

And captain, I'm gonna have to address that comment you made about the writing of the songs on Ghost on Ghost in that Masterpiece thread. -Will

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 15, 2016, 03:38:16 PM »

Going back to the beginning of last month, a band named Sheer Mag released their third EP, III. There's a lot of sensationalism about them and tornadoes on the internet, so if that catches your interest, feel free to look it up. I will say that the woman up front has a great voice, and her band is solid. They write and perform good songs. They make soulful punk music. This is a music video they made for a song from their most recent EP. They have other music videos and songs, too.

I'm quoting this and mentioning one of my favorite songs of theirs to encourage at least one person to give them a chance.
Husker Dude, You mean the Husker Du cover band?  I checked them out.  Like Husker Du, a bit too loud for me.  Mould fans are going for their bats about now...  I actually liked the clip you posted.
I played some of their live stuff this morning - that was a wake-up!  The band sounds good, the guitar player is really good.  The lead singer gets drowned out in most of what I found.  I streamed something they did in a car wash, and a couple of German joints.  I don't listen to stuff like this very often, but a chance it got!

Punk is Still Alive in our World!!

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 15, 2016, 03:38:40 PM »

Fabulous! thanks for that one, Bübsker Dude.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 15, 2016, 03:41:30 PM »

Bubsker Dude.  That's great Alan.  You've given him a new idea.  Let it Rock!

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 15, 2016, 03:56:50 PM »

Before I sign-off, let me say, just to make it clear how much I enjoy Sam's music... Other than Brian Wilson, Sam is my favorite living musician.

I think he's great, too. And frankly, the hate he's been getting since expanding the sonic palette is unfair (or at least misguided) in my opinion.

And captain, I'm gonna have to address that comment you made about the writing of the songs on Ghost on Ghost in that Masterpiece thread. -Will

Uh oh. Are we gonna fight?! Out by the flagpole, after school!  Grin

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: April 15, 2016, 04:13:24 PM »

I think he's great, too. And frankly, the hate he's been getting since expanding the sonic palette is unfair (or at least misguided) in my opinion.

Uh oh. Are we gonna fight?! Out by the flagpole, after school!  Grin
probably.  But that would be a long drive to get there.  It will be better, and easier, just to work up a post.  The long Southern tour the album takes you on from coast to coast forms a smile.  Then he doubles back to end it in New Orleans.  Possibly the lyrics mean more to someone from the South.  His tales of the South are very prominent in many of his songs.  He catches fireflies in his hands, and knows how to describe that in a way I can understand.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 15, 2016, 04:35:31 PM »

Husker Dude, You mean the Husker Du cover band?  I checked them out.  Like Husker Du, a bit too loud for me.  Mould fans are going for their bats about now...  I actually liked the clip you posted.
I played some of their live stuff this morning - that was a wake-up!  The band sounds good, the guitar player is really good.  The lead singer gets drowned out in most of what I found.  I streamed something they did in a car wash, and a couple of German joints.  I don't listen to stuff like this very often, but a chance it got!

No, the name's not in reference to anything... well, other than Hüsker Dü and me being a fan. It's just a name I thought of and liked. I looked it up later and found other people have already beaten me to it.  Sad Oh well.  As for the song, I'm glad you all (mostly, anyway) are liking it. I really like what they do, and I was disappointed they were passed over earlier, but that happens in this thread. I can understand not liking or listening to this particular style much, but it seems to be what I'm into lately.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 11:47:02 AM by Hüsker Düde » Logged
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 15, 2016, 10:39:58 PM »

Josh,  I left you an answer to your post over in the Oops thread, so as not to derail this thread.  Now if I could only figure out that new avatar...

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 20, 2016, 11:22:33 AM »

Josh,  I left you an answer to your post over in the Oops thread, so as not to derail this thread.  Now if I could only figure out that new avatar...
Apparently it's Alex Chilton of the Box Tops ("The Letter"). Thank you reverse image search Grin.

I found this blog that has anticipated album release dates on the left sidebar. At least, for indie-related music, which is right up my alley :D
http://indieobsessive.blogspot.com/

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 22, 2016, 07:45:53 AM »

Has anyone pointed out that there's a new Paul Simon album coming this year (June)? Maybe, but I'm not going to look because that's beyond my energies at the moment. However, just in case not, Paul Simon is releasing a new album this year (June). It's called Stranger to Stranger, and the lead-off single, "Wristband" is on Soundcloud.

You can hear that and read about the album here:

http://www.paulsimon.com/news/paul-simons-new-album-stranger-stranger-set-release-june-3rd/

You have my insincere, half-hearted apologies if this has been covered already.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx