gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680996 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 14, 2024, 12:51:31 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian, Al, and David Tour 2013  (Read 38999 times)
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: July 19, 2013, 01:31:32 PM »

Oh, and that Jools Holland clip is FANTASTIC. That's one of the best non-Carl Wilson versions of that song I've ever heard. Brian's voice is so beautiful in that clip. Thanks for sharing.

Jools Holland can be portrayed just as effectively by a hand puppet and save quite a lot of money, you know.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 19, 2013, 01:43:07 PM »

I can't believe there's even any kind of debate about which band sounds better on Pet Sounds material. Brian's band blows The Mikesters out of the water on that kind of material, and the number of people in his band is pretty much the single greatest reason why they do so.  If your talking about voices, Brian's, even with some flubs, is more enjoyable to my ears than Bruce's ANY day. Bruce has no personality in his voice. At all. It's a nice voice and he sings well mostly, but it's bland and boring, in my opinion. But the bands, yeah, Mike's doesn't hold a candle to Brian's, and I don't even think that's subjective, really.

Rubbersoul, you didn't study the art of debating or anything, did you?  You seem to be out of you element slightly (or not so slightly).

Do I? Maybe it's because I'm the ONLY person in this thread looking at things logically and not being swooned over by the aging genius that wrote the material as he barely scrapes his way through his own back catalog.

The Beach Boys universe is a weird one...again, this is probably why I shouldn't speak up on here as often. There are so many standards already set it seems...likeignoring the fact that Bruce sang that song perfectly just because we don't like Bruce since he's still with Mike Love who fired the others and yadayadayada...and yeah Andrew Hickley before you jump on my ass, I KNOW nobody came right out and said that.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #102 on: July 19, 2013, 01:49:27 PM »

Rubber Soul should stick to Rubber Soul only. Yeah, he's entitled to his opinion, but that video of him singing GOK is incredible if you compare it to 15 BO and Love You. You've come a long, long way, Brian.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 19, 2013, 01:53:07 PM »

I can't believe there's even any kind of debate about which band sounds better on Pet Sounds material. Brian's band blows The Mikesters out of the water on that kind of material, and the number of people in his band is pretty much the single greatest reason why they do so.  If your talking about voices, Brian's, even with some flubs, is more enjoyable to my ears than Bruce's ANY day. Bruce has no personality in his voice. At all. It's a nice voice and he sings well mostly, but it's bland and boring, in my opinion. But the bands, yeah, Mike's doesn't hold a candle to Brian's, and I don't even think that's subjective, really.

Rubbersoul, you didn't study the art of debating or anything, did you?  You seem to be out of you element slightly (or not so slightly).

Do I? Maybe it's because I'm the ONLY person in this thread looking at things logically and not being swooned over by the aging genius that wrote the material as he barely scrapes his way through his own back catalog.

The Beach Boys universe is a weird one...again, this is probably why I shouldn't speak up on here as often. There are so many standards already set it seems...likeignoring the fact that Bruce sang that song perfectly just because we don't like Bruce since he's still with Mike Love who fired the others and yadayadayada...and yeah Andrew Hickley before you jump on my ass, I KNOW nobody came right out and said that.

I'll give credit to Bruce on that 2011 performance. That was pretty excellent for someone singing at that age.
Also, I like how Brian has adapted to his weakenin voice by singing GOK with a softer voice like he did on Jools Holland. I thought that performance was beautiful despite some hickups (which I'm by far used to at this stage).

Assuming you are the only one who can appreciate Bruce' vocals in this thread is not a logical assumption  Wink
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 19, 2013, 01:59:15 PM »

I'll give credit to Bruce on that 2011 performance. That was pretty excellent for someone singing at that age.
Also, I like how Brian has adapted to his weakenin voice by singing GOK with a softer voice like he did on Jools Holland. I thought that performance was beautiful despite some hickups (which I'm by far used to at this stage).

Assuming you are the only one who can appreciate Bruce' vocals in this thread is not a logical assumption  Wink

Well of course it isn't logical, but until you came along it sure seemed that way! Thank you for taking a kind approach with a reasonable rebuttle...that's a hard pairing to find on here! And oldsurferdude, I agree...it IS an improvement from that time period but I don't see the sense in "babying" Brian like that. Maybe it's because I've seen once already (not saying you fall into this category) and he was really ON that night, but I cannot justify a poor performance like that. He should not be touring if that is the case. There should be one off performances that are happening because HE wants them to happen. Unique things...like shows with a full orchestra! That would make EVERYBODY happy! LOL
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 19, 2013, 02:03:55 PM »

Christ, you really are a complete fucking idiot, aren't you?
Just to take this drooling imbecility seriously for a second:

"being swooned over by the aging genius" -- you mean swooning over, unless Brian likes us all more than he's let us know.

You're the one who brought up the relative qualities of Brian and Bruce's performances -- and cherry-picked the worst possible Brian one -- to distract from the fact that your original supposed point, that Brian's band has too many people in it, is complete crap.

Nobody has said Bruce doesn't sing that song well. In fact nobody's said anything bad about Mike's band at all in this thread -- partly because almost everyone who's commented in this thread has a great deal of respect for them. You brought up the comparison as a way of attacking Brian's band, for reasons you've not yet made clear, and the response has been, in general, that Mike and Bruce do a good job of the song, but that French horns and flutes sound better than cheap synth patches attempting to sound like French horns and flutes.

(Again, I was at the gig you linked in the first video. I made a 400-mile round trip to go to it, and loved every second.)

You've completely derailed a thread that was originally about Brian, Al and David's tour because of your bizarre belief that Brian should sack half his musicians -- which is, even aside from the complete tin ear it shows, just nasty and disrespectful. Given that Brian employing those people does you no harm whatsoever, and that even if you accept your bizarre, ludicrous claim that cheap synth patches sound anything like real horns that still wouldn't make the band sound any *better*, wishing for people you don't know to lose their job is something only a complete arsehole would do, frankly. What is it about the idea of good musicians being employed that causes you such offence? Did a French horn traumatise you as a child?

When you say something so utterly ludicrous that both oldsurferdude and myself actually agree on how stupid you sound, maybe, just maybe, you should consider that you're in the wrong?

Oh, and it's Hickey, not Hickley. No l. But given that you have shown no ability to write a coherent sentence or to construct a logical argument, it's probably too much to ask that you know how to read...

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 19, 2013, 02:15:00 PM »

Just to take this drooling imbecility seriously for a second:

"being swooned over by the aging genius" -- you mean swooning over, unless Brian likes us all more than he's let us know.

You're the one who brought up the relative qualities of Brian and Bruce's performances -- and cherry-picked the worst possible Brian one -- to distract from the fact that your original supposed point, that Brian's band has too many people in it, is complete crap.

Nobody has said Bruce doesn't sing that song well. In fact nobody's said anything bad about Mike's band at all in this thread -- partly because almost everyone who's commented in this thread has a great deal of respect for them. You brought up the comparison as a way of attacking Brian's band, for reasons you've not yet made clear, and the response has been, in general, that Mike and Bruce do a good job of the song, but that French horns and flutes sound better than cheap synth patches attempting to sound like French horns and flutes.

(Again, I was at the gig you linked in the first video. I made a 400-mile round trip to go to it, and loved every second.)

You've completely derailed a thread that was originally about Brian, Al and David's tour because of your bizarre belief that Brian should sack half his musicians -- which is, even aside from the complete tin ear it shows, just nasty and disrespectful. Given that Brian employing those people does you no harm whatsoever, and that even if you accept your bizarre, ludicrous claim that cheap synth patches sound anything like real horns that still wouldn't make the band sound any *better*, wishing for people you don't know to lose their job is something only a complete arsehole would do, frankly. What is it about the idea of good musicians being employed that causes you such offence? Did a French horn traumatise you as a child?

When you say something so utterly ludicrous that both oldsurferdude and myself actually agree on how stupid you sound, maybe, just maybe, you should consider that you're in the wrong?

Oh, and it's Hickey, not Hickley. No l. But given that you have shown no ability to write a coherent sentence or to construct a logical argument, it's probably too much to ask that you know how to read...

It takes two to derail a thread. You've been keeping up your end by putting the notion out there that I have it out for Brian's band just because I said it was too big. I do not wish any harm on any of those men nor do I want them to lose their jobs, but if I think the band is too big I think I'm allowed to say that without implying I hate them because I certainly don't. I'm very greatly for all they did on C50 and if YOU were following you would have realized I shifted my suggestion to actually removing Al Jardine and David Marks from the tour. Then, none of Brian's band would really need to be removed as everybody would have a purpose.

I find it VERY amusing that when I was first considering seeing Mike and Bruce and took an attitude similiar to yours after C50 folded, you were one of the members I recall trying to talk me into seeing Mike and Bruce this year. Now I've actually come to understand why their band is relevant and you want to pull me aside and bash me for that? It's a shame there isn't a decent place on the internet to talk beach boys.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #107 on: July 19, 2013, 02:25:26 PM »

Somewhat harsh, Andrew.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 19, 2013, 02:26:25 PM »

It takes two to derail a thread. You've been keeping up your end by putting the notion out there that I have it out for Brian's band just because I said it was too big. I do not wish any harm on any of those men nor do I want them to lose their jobs, but if I think the band is too big I think I'm allowed to say that without implying I hate them because I certainly don't.

If you think the band is too big you *do* want to lose their jobs. And the only justification you've given for thinking that is your frankly insane claim that a cheap synth patch sounds like a French horn. It's utterly fucking disrespectful to a very, very talented and decent group of people.

if YOU were following you would have realized I shifted my suggestion to actually removing Al Jardine and David Marks from the tour. Then, none of Brian's band would really need to be removed as everybody would have a purpose.

You actually said "Al Jardine and David Marks shouldn't be on the tour if they can't pull their weight."
In the very next sentence you then said that David Marks is the best guitarist in the band, and you went on to say that Al would cover Mike's leads -- which implies that you *don't* think they can't pull their weight -- and nobody else has said they think they can't pull their weight either, because they can.

Possibly you should try actually thinking about what you want to say before saying it, so that then the words you say actually mean what you intend them to mean?

I find it VERY amusing that when I was first considering seeing Mike and Bruce and took an attitude similiar to yours after C50 folded, you were one of the members I recall trying to talk me into seeing Mike and Bruce this year. Now I've actually come to understand why their band is relevant and you want to pull me aside and bash me for that? It's a shame there isn't a decent place on the internet to talk beach boys.

No, I'm "bashing" you for your cretinous statements about *BRIAN'S* band. If someone was making equally stupid statements about Mike's band, I'd take the same attitude with them, too. I very much doubt you'll find anyone on this board with more respect for Mike's band than I have -- see my review of the show I saw two weeks ago at http://andrewhickey.info/2013/07/09/mike-loves-beach-boys-7th-july-2013/ -- I just don't have the frankly insane view that I have to take sides, and that if I like what Mike's band does that means I have to attack Brian's at every opportunity, or vice versa.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 19, 2013, 02:27:50 PM »

Somewhat harsh, Andrew.

Harsh but fair, I think, given that he's been repeatedly making completely idiotic statements, as well as wilfully misinterpreting the arguments of others. He's either a complete idiot, or he's malicious -- I choose the former to be kind to him, as idiocy is more forgivable than malice.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 19, 2013, 02:52:49 PM »

While I might agree on other songs, Bruce doesn't hold a candle to Brian when it comes to singing "God Only Knows."  I mean, neither of the performances posted above can be called great performances but here's a clip from the same year of Brian singing "God Only Knows" on the Jools Holland show and I think he sings it beautifully. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC66SoqBv6M
As far consistency goes for that song, I'll go with Bruce. Shoot, one off here & there, sure Brian could pull that one off quite decent.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 19, 2013, 03:48:19 PM »

While I might agree on other songs, Bruce doesn't hold a candle to Brian when it comes to singing "God Only Knows."  I mean, neither of the performances posted above can be called great performances but here's a clip from the same year of Brian singing "God Only Knows" on the Jools Holland show and I think he sings it beautifully. 
As far consistency goes for that song, I'll go with Bruce. Shoot, one off here & there, sure Brian could pull that one off quite decent.
Bruce sings it wonderfully.  Still love hearing his voice. But there is something really moving about hearing the man who wrote it sing it. Could Mike sing it as well as Brian? Hell no!  The answer to this debate is that the BBs are better as a sum if their parts, not in pieces.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 19, 2013, 03:57:32 PM »

Bruce sings it wonderfully.  Still love hearing his voice. But there is something really moving about hearing the man who wrote it sing it. Could Mike sing it as well as Brian? Hell no!  The answer to this debate is that the BBs are better as a sum if their parts, not in pieces.
I love when Brian does it, but sometimes he doesn't do it justice. Like someone else said, when Brian is on he does an excellent job. Bruce always does a good job. Neither quite perform it like Carl.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Nicko1234
« Reply #113 on: July 19, 2013, 05:15:00 PM »

And good Lord that Jools Holland clip was terrible. Not to mention there was NO percussion...

There was no percussion because it was a stripped down band (which you seem to be advocating). I think that performance indicates that a smaller Brian Wilson band sounds a lot weaker than Mike and Bruce`s band so there we are...

Yeah Brian`s voice is poor but there is nothing to be done about that...
TMinthePM
Smiley Smile Associate

How can I show you Zen if you do not first empty y

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 19, 2013, 05:17:52 PM »

Whew...somebody here is way emotionally overinvested.

Timeout boys and girls!

It's only the Beach Boys!!!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 19, 2013, 05:45:05 PM »

Hey guys, what I miss today? Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: July 19, 2013, 05:46:13 PM »

Al did a great interview in Goldmine stirring the pot a bit more. Otherwise, the usual stuff that boils down to MINE IS BETTER THAN YOURS NYAH NYAH.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 19, 2013, 05:49:38 PM »

Reading the thread, I thought it was common knowledge that BW's band had a fuller sound and did the songs justice for the hardcore fans. While M&B is the Fun,Fun, Fun band for the everyman.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: July 19, 2013, 05:51:13 PM »

Turns out you're wrong and Casio conquered the brass section decades ago.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 19, 2013, 05:58:38 PM »

Damn Bruce Johnston and his magic Casio !

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 19, 2013, 06:07:31 PM »

Damn Bruce Johnston and his magic Casio !

LOL

Oh boy...I went for a swim and enjoyed the evening...Andrew, I'm sorry things got so ridiculous...I just didn't know when to stop! I stand by what I said, but I should've let it go at some point. Hope everyone enjoys the show tomorrow night...can't wait to hear about it, I KNOW it'll be great! I'll tell ya'll how Mike and Bruce do...
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 19, 2013, 06:15:55 PM »

Al did a great interview in Goldmine stirring the pot a bit more. Otherwise, the usual stuff that boils down to MINE IS BETTER THAN YOURS NYAH NYAH.

Also tantalizing setlist suggestions! Dave doing "Little Bird"!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 19, 2013, 06:17:13 PM »

Oh cool, "little bird" sure beats "goin to the beach" in my opinion.

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: July 19, 2013, 06:19:15 PM »

Little Bird! Yeah, I can't wait to hear how that sounds. Should be a fun warmup for the fall leg of the tour with the new album material and Jeff Beckage. A shame they couldn't just do a greatest hits set, a few of you guys really wanted to be Mr I Told You So about that. Snicker. Break out your color coded setlists and deep cut breakdowns!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 06:22:19 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 19, 2013, 06:33:50 PM »

Wow! That sounds pretty fantastic...I'm excited to hear these fall dates. I've been holding off on buying John Fogerty tickets until the dates are announced for Brian in the fall...I've got a lot of shows this year, about half have passed...but anyway, yes- I'll most certainly go and see Brian and his band with the other boys even if I think it is too large. It's still an EPIC sound!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx