gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680903 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 07, 2024, 08:29:29 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Where is that %^&$@#&* MIC Box Set @#$%^&*(!!!  (Read 211740 times)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 21, 2012, 07:28:07 AM »

I am in a state! Chronic stress induces major depressive disorder!

I need a drink!

DO YOU HEAR ME CAPITOL?

Angry Angry Angry

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 07:29:51 AM »

We hear ya

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 07:39:33 AM »

I need a drink!

DO YOU HEAR ME CAPITOL?

Angry Angry Angry

Capt Don, Anytime you fancy a drink I'd be delighted to buy you one in the Craven Heifer in Stainforth. It's Thwaites, admittedly, but it goes down the same way.

I share your anticipatory mood.

“We live in divisive times.”
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 07:41:38 AM »

Cry

We'll all be around to pick up the pieces when Capitol breaks our hearts.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 07:42:27 AM »

It won't be as beautiful as this one, anyway:

Love
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 07:54:31 AM »

Love

according to Mark London it will be

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 08:09:07 AM »

I need a drink!

DO YOU HEAR ME CAPITOL?

Angry Angry Angry

Capt Don, Anytime you fancy a drink I'd be delighted to buy you one in the Craven Heifer in Stainforth. It's Thwaites, admittedly, but it goes down the same way.

are you thinking Nutty Black?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 08:14:00 AM »

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the band missing the oportunity for a release timed to coincide with the holiday shopping season.  I don't know if this is a function of a decision they made or if the matter was taken out of their hands entirely.  If the latter, you'd think the band and their representatives might be pretty bummed, no?  January just seems like such a queer time to put out as sizeable a release as this is purported to be (as opposed to just a few weeks sooner when folks are more flush with cash and are actively shopping for gifts).

Like everyone else here, I'm hoping the delay is the result of an effort by the compilers to turn up more unheard product and prepare it for public consumption.  My gut, though, tells me it's likely to be for reasons unrelated.  Heck, I'm still drinking the kool-aid and holding out hope for more of the 'My Life / Summer's Gone' suite to make an appearance.

Either way, here we are Capitol, waving our ca$h in the direction of the tower.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 08:21:49 AM »

I need a drink!

DO YOU HEAR ME CAPITOL?

Angry Angry Angry

Thank you John, mucho appreciated!

I have a feeling we'll meet some day, to realise your idea.

Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 08:58:51 AM »

I know NOTHING - no, really, it's true, I don't have any AGD-style 'in' of any kind - but I just wonder whether there might be a good reason why this box is late, and weirdly, missing the crucial Christmas sales period. Like - what if it's because they found something SOOO cool, the box just HAD to be delayed to include it? I mean, it's not going to be this, *obviously* but imagine they were preparing a career-spanning box set in time to be out at Christmas, and a 1967 acetate of a Brian-mixed-and-mastered first side of SMiLE turned up in a vault somewhere. You'd HAVE to delay the box until you had it cleaned up and ready for inclusion, until you had rejigged the tracklists to allow its inclusion, and redesigned the sleeve notes and printed tracklistings to include it, wouldn't you? And even if that pushed the release date beyond Christmas, you absolutely would NOT let the box go without making sure that was included.

OK, so maybe it's actually just the usual boring legal setbacks that are pushing it into the new year. But I have a funny feeling that we might be glad this sucker was pushed back in the long run.

And really, really - I honestly don't know anything. I just have a indefinible, weird feeling, based on a couple of things that have happened with other landmark archival projects in the past...
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 09:09:13 AM by Matt Bielewicz » Logged
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 09:22:34 AM »

I know NOTHING - no, really, it's true, I don't have any AGD-style 'in' of any kind - but I just wonder whether there might be a good reason why this box is late,

How can something which was never officially given a street date be considered "late"?

Personally, I've already spent enough money this season, so they can go ahead and wait for next Spring. Fine by me.

Spread it out a little. There will be a time when we will return to the Beach Boys famine we once knew.  We just got a new DVD. A month ago we got 12 remasters and a new hits package. It's ok to spread it out a little. Lighten up, Francis.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 09:29:19 AM »

I need a drink!

DO YOU HEAR ME CAPITOL?

Angry Angry Angry

are you thinking Nutty Black?

Ah, you seducer you…

Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2012, 10:07:08 AM »

How can something which was never officially given a street date be considered "late"?  ... It's ok to spread it out a little. Lighten up, Francis.

Fair call, Bubba. And I'm one of the people who was telling people to cool it and have patience back in Spring 2011, when all that was known was that the SMiLE Sessions was coming out... sometime soon!

Like you, I'm actually totally cool with this coming out... whenever it comes out. As long as it does. And I believe it will.

I was just pointing out that it was *thought* to be coming out sooner, and it now seems that it's not going to be out in time for Christmas, which, if true, is an odd commercial decision. And I wanted to throw my two penn'orth in that any supposed delay... might actually be for a good reason. And, one day, make total sense to us all.

Or perhaps not. But I'm absolutely not a Cassandra-like Cohenista, nor indeed one of these people who are constantly hitting Refresh on this board, 24 hours a day, to see if the MIC track list is up yet. I call back in a couple of times a week, nose through the other threads, and check out the MIC thread most, but not every time I visit. It's not worth stressing about it. It's only some CDs. And they'll tell us when they're good and ready...

I think the Don needs a drink. And I will happily get them in. What's your poison? Mine's a nice cold Moretti...
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2012, 10:32:40 AM »

How can something which was never officially given a street date be considered "late"?  ... It's ok to spread it out a little. Lighten up, Francis.

Fair call, Bubba. And I'm one of the people who was telling people to cool it and have patience back in Spring 2011, when all that was known was that the SMiLE Sessions was coming out... sometime soon!

Like you, I'm actually totally cool with this coming out... whenever it comes out. As long as it does. And I believe it will.

I was just pointing out that it was *thought* to be coming out sooner, and it now seems that it's not going to be out in time for Christmas, which, if true, is an odd commercial decision. And I wanted to throw my two penn'orth in that any supposed delay... might actually be for a good reason. And, one day, make total sense to us all.

Or perhaps not. But I'm absolutely not a Cassandra-like Cohenista, nor indeed one of these people who are constantly hitting Refresh on this board, 24 hours a day, to see if the MIC track list is up yet. I call back in a couple of times a week, nose through the other threads, and check out the MIC thread most, but not every time I visit. It's not worth stressing about it. It's only some CDs. And they'll tell us when they're good and ready...

I think the Don needs a drink. And I will happily get them in. What's your poison? Mine's a nice cold Moretti...

Ah, help is at hand! Mine will be a Cutty Sark, please.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2012, 10:46:10 AM »

Ah, help is at hand! Mine will be a Cutty Sark, please.

At the risk of having the thread walk the plank into the Sandbox, please reconsider your choice of poison. Ardbeg, Laphroig, Macallan perhaps, but Cutty Sark?Huh?

I don't mind the box set being delayed at all. My earnings are at an all-time low and the year's been expensive enough for BBs fans as it is.

And as long as I have good company to while away the weeks… whose round is it again?

Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2012, 10:47:43 AM »

Love

Not sure "beautiful" is the right word, those cds covers are quite freaking ugly.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2012, 10:51:51 AM »

Love

Not sure "beautiful" is the right word, those cds covers are quite freaking ugly.
The exact opposite is true for me - apart from the hotrod cover I find all of them beautifully designed.

Also, I was talking about the box as a whole: packaging, booklet et cetera.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2012, 10:54:17 AM »

Love

I must agree with you. Very much of their time is the best I can say about them. The first Byrds box suffered from the same problem.

joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2012, 10:58:01 AM »

well the biggest question I have is ,are you Qbert?Huh

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2012, 11:19:39 AM »

well the biggest question I have is ,are you Qbert?Huh

That is me after half a bottle of Cutty Sark, yes. Striking, the resemblance.

(Oh, the Sark ain't the best in the world, but is decent and inexpensive. Manning's preferences immediately clarify why his spending power is at an all tme low.)

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2012, 11:44:01 AM »

Aye, Don, I've been spoiling the kids…  LOL

The 93 box was so good at the time that I really overlooked the packaging. Aye the disc covers were clichéd and generic, and saccharine in style, but the contents of those discs was mind-blowing.

As, I trust, will be the contents of MiC.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2012, 12:22:36 PM »

I'm surprised with all this speculation, there's not been any "proposed" dream tracklistings posted around here. I would had I have the time to.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2012, 12:37:07 PM »

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the band missing the oportunity for a release timed to coincide with the holiday shopping season.  I don't know if this is a function of a decision they made or if the matter was taken out of their hands entirely.  If the latter, you'd think the band and their representatives might be pretty bummed, no?  January just seems like such a queer time to put out as sizeable a release as this is purported to be (as opposed to just a few weeks sooner when folks are more flush with cash and are actively shopping for gifts).

I made the same point a couple of months ago.  Why would they want to miss out on the holiday shopping season?  Let's release it in January when everyone is tapped out...

"You wanna have the '409' sound, right?  On 'Help Me, Rhonda'?"

"Honkin' down the gosh-darned highway..."

"Cried so hard...teardrops on my bed...COME ON MUTHAF*****S!"
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2012, 12:44:55 PM »

I'm surprised with all this speculation, there's not been any "proposed" dream tracklistings posted around here. I would had I have the time to.

Same here…  I think if someone was to trawl through all related posts, there'd probably be in excess of 100 tracks mentioned by Smiley folk over the last few months.  Like you say, time… time…

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2012, 01:48:56 PM »

I know NOTHING - no, really, it's true, I don't have any AGD-style 'in' of any kind - but I just wonder whether there might be a good reason why this box is late, and weirdly, missing the crucial Christmas sales period. Like - what if it's because they found something SOOO cool, the box just HAD to be delayed to include it? I mean, it's not going to be this, *obviously* but imagine they were preparing a career-spanning box set in time to be out at Christmas, and a 1967 acetate of a Brian-mixed-and-mastered first side of SMiLE turned up in a vault somewhere. You'd HAVE to delay the box until you had it cleaned up and ready for inclusion, until you had rejigged the tracklists to allow its inclusion, and redesigned the sleeve notes and printed tracklistings to include it, wouldn't you? And even if that pushed the release date beyond Christmas, you absolutely would NOT let the box go without making sure that was included.

OK, so maybe it's actually just the usual boring legal setbacks that are pushing it into the new year. But I have a funny feeling that we might be glad this sucker was pushed back in the long run.

And really, really - I honestly don't know anything. I just have a indefinible, weird feeling, based on a couple of things that have happened with other landmark archival projects in the past...

I admire the breadth of your imagination, however misdirected it might be.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 53 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx