gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680898 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 06, 2024, 02:28:17 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Barnyard / I'm In Great Shape - Stereo Mix  (Read 11488 times)
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2011, 03:30:38 AM »

Right now I'm working on trying to extract the lead vocal on Wonderful - for some reason the instrumental & final versions of the track don't sync up, even when placed in the same key. Anyone else notice this? Very strange...

Tape decks will never play back at exactly the same speed twice.  Because of the lack of any real stereo mixes of that version of Wonderful, leads me to believe it only exists as a monophonic mix or acetate (like Barnshine and YWMS, etc.)...  But in contrast, they seem to have the multitracks for the backing vocals.

So what you have is a modern ProTools isolation and remix of the backing vocals, but then a vintage tape-source of that mix.  So the two will not fall together exactly.  On the otherhand, there was another track that synchs perfectly because both seem to be from a ProTools reconstruction that Linnett/Boyd did (Was it Child?  I can't remember).  Does that make sence?  Could be talking out of my rear-end here... 

What you're saying makes perfect sense.
It's odd because, even lined up at exactly the same pitch, the tempos are WAY off.
You'd expect a little phasing action, but this almost sounds like two different takes, it's so off.
I don't hear any signs of time-stretching on either version. I'm officially thrown for a loop.

Having listened carefully to both versions, I believe that these are two diffetent takes. Actually, for a lot of the sessions the master take is not represented, but usually it's not that diffetent from the take that is included.

It was slowed down before the vocals were added. What are you trying to do, pitch shift the track? That's not going to work. You need to slow it down as well.

Deary me!

Have u tried it?

Sounds like the same take, but maybe it's not.  The tracks are not in time, even when properly slowed down to the same key. (Not just pitch shifted...)

I think I read somewhere here that the master take was snipped off the reel - so what the box presents is the take before.

Ahhh, ok. That makes sense.

It's amazing how similar the included take is to the final take, nuance-wise.
homeontherange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2011, 04:03:19 AM »

Isn't that master take on Secret Smile somewhere? I think I remember an additional instrument there, like a guitar strumming in the 2nd and 4th verse? Maybe I'm hallucinating or there's some weird echo or something.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2011, 04:38:34 AM »

Isn't that master take on Secret Smile somewhere? I think I remember an additional instrument there, like a guitar strumming in the 2nd and 4th verse? Maybe I'm hallucinating or there's some weird echo or something.

Totally. I remember the real instrumental making the bootleg rounds. I wonder if certain final takes were kept off the set to prevent us from making stereo versions. Probably reading too much into it. lol
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx