gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680956 Posts in 27623 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 10, 2024, 01:18:42 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 47 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 50th Anniversary Tour Dates (as they roll out) (*UPDATED, Feb 15th*)  (Read 230544 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #750 on: March 22, 2012, 04:44:03 PM »

(sits back, tosses popcorn in mouth, reaches for a Diet Coke...)
Diet Coke is not good for you Andrew it contains an artificial sweetner which is very harmful to your body.

The thing is, however bad or not artificial sweeteners are (and a reasonable amount of evidence exists to suggest they're just fine as long as they're not your sole source of nourishment), they're a darn sight better than pumping your body full of sugar and corn syrup. Nothing has been proven to be more harmful to health and well being than sugar -- and the obesity that follows.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #751 on: March 22, 2012, 08:22:34 PM »

I love the fact the revelation that the boys aren't coming to the UK has been met with Miss Marple and debating the finer points of diet coke.

BTW, I would find it harder to kick my sweet tooth than cigarettes, booze and coffee combined. And real Coke all the way, Diet Coke tastes wrong. I am aware I sound like the fattest man who ever lived, btw  LOL

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #752 on: March 22, 2012, 09:24:50 PM »

Diet Coke is not good for you Andrew it contains an artificial sweetner which is very harmful to your body.

The thing is, however bad or not artificial sweeteners are (and a reasonable amount of evidence exists to suggest they're just fine as long as they're not your sole source of nourishment), they're a darn sight better than pumping your body full of sugar and corn syrup. Nothing has been proven to be more harmful to health and well being than sugar -- and the obesity that follows.

well, no. The world is turning round again, and more and more evidence points to artificial sweeteners as being devastating to the human body. 
And I thought it was pointed out long ago, in Sleeper, how good sugar is for you.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #753 on: March 22, 2012, 09:50:43 PM »

well, no. The world is turning round again, and more and more evidence points to artificial sweeteners as being devastating to the human body.  
And I thought it was pointed out long ago, in Sleeper, how good sugar is for you.

Any devastation that an artificial sweetener might do to the body is dwarfed by the damage done by sugar and simple carbohydrates (which are really the same thing). Those things promote obesity, which is directly correlated to diabetes, heart disease and cancer. Eating a diet with minimal sugar and staying lean, having low blood pressure, high HDL cholesterol, etc., are all far more protective of health than avoiding artificial sweeteners. But sure, in a best-case scenario you wouldn't consume either.

Anyway, back to the subject of this thread: Miss Marple.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 09:52:00 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #754 on: March 22, 2012, 10:19:22 PM »

There is something far worse than the sweetners and sugar and carbonated water and all that crap in Coke and Pepsi. The active ingredient is Phosphoric Acid. Commercial trucks that carry it must display a Hazardous Materials alert card that is normally reserved for highly corrosive materials. It's very caustic and it will eat asphalt. You can clean concrete and the rust off of chrome bumpers with it. Think what it does to your teeth and stomach lining!

Unfortunately, I like it.....

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #755 on: March 22, 2012, 10:41:08 PM »

Any devastation that an artificial sweetener might do to the body is dwarfed by the damage done by sugar and simple carbohydrates (which are really the same thing). Those things promote obesity, which is directly correlated to diabetes, heart disease and cancer. Eating a diet with minimal sugar and staying lean, having low blood pressure, high HDL cholesterol, etc., are all far more protective of health than avoiding artificial sweeteners. But sure, in a best-case scenario you wouldn't consume either.

People have been eating sugar and simple carbs for centuries and most of them have not become obese.  It's the modern sendentary lifestyle and the recent evolution of huge portions of all types of food that have caused obesity to increase.  The Japanese thrive on a diet of white rice, which is a simple carb.  Yet they also have very low rates of obesity.  I have no problem with people who want to voluntarily decrease their consumption of any type of food, but I don't think it should be forced on other people or taken as gospel truth.  More to the point, I have no problem with people who really do eat healthy and suggest that's the way to go.  But the Atkins Diet cult I don't buy.  Which advocates little or no sugar, including fruit, but says it's okay to eat massive amounts of fat and meat.  It's not good for the environment to eat all those animal products, for one thing.  There's also little difference between eating animals with diets of simple carbs as farm-fed cattle and poultry are, and eating the simple carbs yourself.  I took a class in nutrition in college and every type of food you eat, including protein and fats, are converted by your body to sugar.  When people go on diets and their body burns their own body fat, that also is turned into sugar.  Glucose is the only usable fuel for your brain and other parts of your body, so your body turns every calorie into sugar.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #756 on: March 22, 2012, 11:49:51 PM »

People have been eating sugar and simple carbs for centuries and most of them have not become obese.  It's the modern sendentary lifestyle and the recent evolution of huge portions of all types of food that have caused obesity to increase.  The Japanese thrive on a diet of white rice, which is a simple carb.  Yet they also have very low rates of obesity.  I have no problem with people who want to voluntarily decrease their consumption of any type of food, but I don't think it should be forced on other people or taken as gospel truth.  More to the point, I have no problem with people who really do eat healthy and suggest that's the way to go.  But the Atkins Diet cult I don't buy.  Which advocates little or no sugar, including fruit, but says it's okay to eat massive amounts of fat and meat.  It's not good for the environment to eat all those animal products, for one thing.  There's also little difference between eating animals with diets of simple carbs as farm-fed cattle and poultry are, and eating the simple carbs yourself.  I took a class in nutrition in college and every type of food you eat, including protein and fats, are converted by your body to sugar.  When people go on diets and their body burns their own body fat, that also is turned into sugar.  Glucose is the only usable fuel for your brain and other parts of your body, so your body turns every calorie into sugar.

That's simply baloney. Particularly this part: "There's also little difference between eating animals with diets of simple carbs as farm-fed cattle and poultry are, and eating the simple carbs yourself." I am a type 1 diabetic. My pancreas does not produce insulin, which most people generate when they consume carbs. If the body worked as you suggest, my blood sugar would increase if I ate a steak. It does not. However, if I eat a piece of bread, my blood sugar skyrockets. All food is not equal, and it does not all affect the body in the same way. It is not simply a matter of energy imbalance -- hormonal regulatory systems play a great role. I know, because that's how I stay alive.

Also, to say that people who practice carb restriction advocate "little or no sugar, including fruit, but says it's okay to eat massive amounts of fat and meat" is simply untrue. Many, if not most, carb-restricted diets would pass muster with any nutritionist. They involve eating a lot of green vegetables, heart-healthy oils and good-quality, unprocessed fish, pork or chicken. And in modest quantities, too. (The sustainability argument is a red herring. It's neither here nor there if it's good for the environment.)

Finally, "Glucose is the only usable fuel for your brain and other parts of your body, so your body turns every calorie into sugar" is simply untrue. Once stores of glucose (made from carbohydrate) in the liver are depleted, the body burns fat directly in a process called ketosis. The Inuit survived for centuries on a diet consisting almost entirely of fat -- which meant they were likely in a nearly permanent state of dietary ketosis. Diets that seek to replicate this state (which are low-carb, but all low-carb diets are not ketogenic) are now standard treatments for epilepsy and being tested on Alzheimer's patients.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 11:50:52 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #757 on: March 22, 2012, 11:55:28 PM »

Christ, I can't believe I just posted that on this thread.

Let's talk about the tour. I'm going to see them in Maine in June! And Boston! Yay!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 12:11:49 AM by Wirestone » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #758 on: March 23, 2012, 12:12:18 AM »

Anyone who's seen me knows I don't drink Diet Coke for it's slimming properties. I just like the taste: phosphoric acid sets my teeth on edge (literally).

The slimming thing is basically (with a few exceptions) very simple - eat too much, you'll get fat.

Oddly, this very morning my Google alert delivered into my inbox an article about Carnie's 2nd weight loss procedure (on January 18th): she's had a lap band fitted and lost some 30 pounds since. Deja vu all over again, if you ask me.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #759 on: March 23, 2012, 12:19:57 AM »

I worry about her.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #760 on: March 23, 2012, 12:31:11 AM »

Christ, I can't believe I just posted that on this thread.

Let's talk about the tour. I'm going to see them in Maine in June! And Boston! Yay!

I'd personally like to thank you for being health conscious and actually trying to help people be more informed about the dangers of a high-carb diet.

So many type 2 diabetics, and nobody has a clue how to take care of their disease. Doctors, for the most part, are no exception and try to fix the problem with pills or injections rather than fixing the root of the problem. People don't realize that by pumping sugar into their bodies, they are making their pancreas less and less effective at what it does. I'm just lucky I realized that sodas are the worst thing before I ended up overweight and diabetic like my dad. He saw me cutting some kale the other day and didn't even know what it was!

Anyways. I'm hoping I can scrounge up the skrill to buy tickets before they sell out for the Berkeley show. I'm thinking I'll have another few weeks since the people around here generally tend to have poor taste in everything.

No mas, por favor.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #761 on: March 23, 2012, 01:38:14 AM »

I'm appreciating the topic too. Can't stand artificial sweeteners and will not let my kids have them if possible. Kids of a friend I know have been virtually raised on Diet Coke and, well, the results aren't pleasant.

Aspartame keeps me awake at night, far more effectively than caffeine.  There've been newspaper headlines linking it to cancer but check the ingredients on the shelves next time you're in a supermarket – half the products would have to go if they banned aspartame and the like.

No government's going to hit industry like that – far better to have a few dead voters than a few blighted shareholders and other voters clamouring for their right to Diet Coke.

“We live in divisive times.”
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #762 on: March 23, 2012, 01:51:33 AM »

Is the new tour sponsored by coke or something

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #763 on: March 23, 2012, 02:49:16 AM »

HELP!
Somebody replaced my bookmark to the SmileySmile board with one to some kind of healthcare board!!

LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #764 on: March 23, 2012, 05:24:45 AM »

Anyone going to see the Beach Boys at Summerfest in Milwaukee?  I'm going to get there early so I can enjoy some of the food and beverage choices that are offered on the grounds.  Oh, it's all good stuff.

Deep fried cheese curds (w/ ranch dressing)
Beer
Funnel cake
Beer
Bratwurst
Beer
Pizza
Beer
The Major Goolsby's bacon cheeseburger. They put a pound of bacon on it.
Beer
French fried corn chip pie
Beer
Corn on the cob dripping with sweet Wisconsin butter

and have I mentioned...lots of beer?

Take that, Lipitor
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 05:29:53 AM by LostArt » Logged
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #765 on: March 23, 2012, 07:24:50 AM »

*picks up bottled water - pours in small packet of crystal light - drinks deeply*

Hooray I am going to see The Beach Boys on the 4th of July! WOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #766 on: March 23, 2012, 07:28:41 AM »

I'd like to take this opportunity to let Mike & Brian & Al & Dave & Bruce know (via the powers who read here) that Stainforth Village Hall, Yorkshire Dales National Park, UK, is available on any of the dates they have free. It only costs about £70 to hire for the day and there's seating for up to 100 people – if they sell out, the St Peter's church, just around the corner, holds more and is usually available as a fall back.

The village ladies will be more than happy to do cakes and tea by the pot (teapot, not… y'know…) and publicity is guaranteed – not only am I the village correspondent for the Craven Herald & Pioneer, but I join with the Horton and Ingleton correspondents frequently for a night of curry and gossip: we could get three paragraphs in the local paper, not just one!

The band an d tour entourage could easily be accommodated in the Craven Heifer pub - there's a bunkhouse 200 yards down the road for any overspill (wives, managers etc) and shortage of cottages available for a week's rental.

Of course, if intimate gigs packed with fans and a home-made atmosphere are something you guys left behind 50 years ago, then keep on looking for a stadium that isn't hosting the curling championships or international whiff whaff.

Stainforth is waiting. Have The Beach Boys got the balls?

This would be awesome. There should also be a murder so Brian and Mike can solve a Miss Marple-style crime.
Al gets kidnapped as a subplot to the mystery.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #767 on: March 23, 2012, 07:32:17 AM »

Nah, Al's role in it would blatantly be the guy who bumbles into some other case which no-one takes seriously, and it ends up being the vital missing piece of Brian and Mikes. And then when he's like 'SEE?!' they're all like 'well, suppose we needed you after all', but absolutely nothing changes in the sequel.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #768 on: March 23, 2012, 07:35:51 AM »

Bruce performs "going public" in the church in front of the old ladies... Cool Guy

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #769 on: March 23, 2012, 07:47:44 AM »

Nah, hypehat, Al's the guy who comes on in the opening scene and says "Hey, y'all know the butler did it, right?" prompting a mass walk-out…

Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #770 on: March 23, 2012, 09:01:19 AM »

This thread has turned right into my wheelhouse. I'm a nutritionist and physiologist, I have a bunch of degrees and licenses and blah blah blah, I teach professional level courses for fitness and nutrition and I'm a featured expert in articles running in next month's Yoga Journal and Vegetarian Times. Artificial sweeteners are the things I get asked about most often. I've seen a lot of things in this thread that are *almost* there scientifically. If anyone wants to discuss this stuff further I would gladly start a discussion in the Sandbox.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 09:46:08 AM by Amanda Hart » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #771 on: March 23, 2012, 09:40:48 AM »

This thread has turned right into my wheelhouse. I'm a nutritionist and physiologist, I have a bunch of degrees and licenses and blah blah blah, I teach professional level courses for fitness and nutrition and I'm a featured expert in articles running in next month's Yoga Journal and Vegetarian Times. Artificial sweeteners are the things I get ask about most often. I've seen a lot of things in this thread that are *almost* there scientifically. If anyone wants to discuss this stuff further I would gladly start a discussion in the Sandbox.

Grand idea -  coincidentally I had a phone chat this aft with a friend who had a brain tumour a few years back, which she puts down to having drunk a lot of Diet Coke down the years. Won't let her kids near the stuff now.

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #772 on: March 23, 2012, 10:24:13 AM »

We interrupt this discussion on diet and carbs to bring you a notice about the primary topic in this thread:

For those of you who might be interested, single show ticket sales for the BBs' Atlanta Chastain gig go on sale tomorrow -- Saturday, March 24th.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #773 on: March 23, 2012, 10:49:59 AM »

We interrupt this discussion on diet and carbs to bring you a notice about the primary topic in this thread:

For those of you who might be interested, single show ticket sales for the BBs' Atlanta Chastain gig go on sale tomorrow -- Saturday, March 24th.

Heck, why buy a single ticket , when this seller is offering a table for 6 right in front of the stage for only $100 a person? 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Beach-Boys-50th-Anniversary-Tour-PIT-TABLE-seats-6-people-/170809483564?pt=US_Tickets_all_in_one&hash=item27c509e12c

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #774 on: March 23, 2012, 11:26:13 AM »

I don't know if this has anything new to say but regarding the VIP Package it was posted on facebook:

http://www.vipnation.com/programs/beach-boys/

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 47 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx