gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680994 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 13, 2024, 03:59:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Love Surrounds Me" Versions  (Read 1523 times)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 10, 2011, 07:19:15 PM »

Hey there, so is the Light Album version of "Love Surrounds Me" the finished version of the one on the Bambu disc in the Pacific Ocean Blue set? I mean, I haven't listened closely enough to be sure, but it kinda sounds like the Bambu version is a rough, earlier mix, but still the same basic track. Is it? Or is it a total different cut? Also, why is there no Carl vocal on the Bambu version? It sounds somewhat weird without it, somewhat incomplete...

Was it intended to be that way or were the not able to secure the rights to use Carl on that song? That would be weird if that were the case, because he is on "It's Not Too Late".

Anyways, I'm looking forward to hearing the scoop on this track.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 07:49:46 PM »

Seems like they're the same/really similar backing tracks. I haven't listened to either in a while though and my hard drive with all my music is dead.

Kind of on topic but kind of not, has anybody noticed that both the LA version and the POB version are both waaaaaaayyyyyy too quiet compared to the rest of the tracks on the albums? I know it's a softer song, but when I've got the volume on lower levels, I have to crank it to hear the verses.

No mas, por favor.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 08:19:46 PM »

Hey there, so is the Light Album version of "Love Surrounds Me" the finished version of the one on the Bambu disc in the Pacific Ocean Blue set? I mean, I haven't listened closely enough to be sure, but it kinda sounds like the Bambu version is a rough, earlier mix, but still the same basic track. Is it? Or is it a total different cut? Also, why is there no Carl vocal on the Bambu version? It sounds somewhat weird without it, somewhat incomplete...

Was it intended to be that way or were the not able to secure the rights to use Carl on that song? That would be weird if that were the case, because he is on "It's Not Too Late".

Anyways, I'm looking forward to hearing the scoop on this track.
Its Not Too Late is a Dennis solo track with Carl guesting. No issue there. Love Surrounds Me was orig. a Dennis solo track that he donated to the Beach Boys L.A. Light effort. So yes its the same track, but the Beach Boys took it and altered it, added Beach Boys group vocals to it, and mixed it to their liking for the L.A. Light LP. When it came time to put out the 2008 POB/Bambu set all of the Beach Boys work had to be wiped off due to legalities, therefore the track was returned to the rough mix form it was in before DW gave it to the Beach Boys in '78. A new mix was created from the multi-track by John Hanlon for the 2008 release. BTW the only voices on the 2008 mix are Dennis and Christine McVie.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 08:22:56 PM by Jon Stebbins » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx