gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680984 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 12, 2024, 12:35:09 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike and Bruce Tour 2016  (Read 135476 times)
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 22, 2016, 12:29:55 PM »

I think the current "flow" of the setlist is fantastic considering (as has been mentioned) there seldom was any when you look at years past. It really makes it feel like a complete "package" ya know? However, they could certainly move some of the sections. For example, why not try opening the show with a re-worked "hot rod" medley and move the surfin' songs to the close of the first set?
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 22, 2016, 12:40:19 PM »

They definitely could change some of the sections around but as someone mentioned these are suggestions from people who have seen 4+ shows so we know what to expect. I always liked the California Girls opening however.
KDS
« Reply #102 on: February 22, 2016, 01:08:21 PM »

We in Maryland were pretty lucky last week. 

The most recent setlist in setlist.fm from Charlotte on Saturday night is only 36 songs. 
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 22, 2016, 01:22:24 PM »

I think the current "flow" of the setlist is fantastic considering (as has been mentioned) there seldom was any when you look at years past. It really makes it feel like a complete "package" ya know? However, they could certainly move some of the sections. For example, why not try opening the show with a re-worked "hot rod" medley and move the surfin' songs to the close of the first set?

That would definitely be a good opener, but then you have the problem of Don't Worry Baby, which is a good lead from the mid-60s mellow ballady stuff into the car material. You could swap it with Surfer Girl and get the same effect, but then you lose the advantages you get from having Surfer Girl early in the set -- it allows them to drop the tempo right down after the medley (while Don't Worry Baby is still pretty fast) and show off the harmonies for an extended period early on. And also, if you moved the surf medley *and* Surfer Girl, then you'd be going to a Beach Boys show and not hearing anything at all about surfing or the beach for a good forty minutes, which might confuse the casual fans. Going on and doing five, six, eight (or however many depending on length) songs about surfing all in a row sends the message "this is the Beach Boys, and you're definitely getting a beach party type show".

You could definitely make it work well, but I'm not sure it would work *as* well, and it would require quite a bit of work in juggling stuff around.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 22, 2016, 01:26:22 PM »

The most recent setlist in setlist.fm from Charlotte on Saturday night is only 36 songs. 

Yep -- although we're all pretty lucky that we like a band where when they play 36 songs we talk about them "only" doing that many...

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
KDS
« Reply #105 on: February 22, 2016, 01:29:14 PM »

That would definitely be a good opener, but then you have the problem of Don't Worry Baby, which is a good lead from the mid-60s mellow ballady stuff into the car material. You could swap it with Surfer Girl and get the same effect, but then you lose the advantages you get from having Surfer Girl early in the set -- it allows them to drop the tempo right down after the medley (while Don't Worry Baby is still pretty fast) and show off the harmonies for an extended period early on. And also, if you moved the surf medley *and* Surfer Girl, then you'd be going to a Beach Boys show and not hearing anything at all about surfing or the beach for a good forty minutes, which might confuse the casual fans. Going on and doing five, six, eight (or however many depending on length) songs about surfing all in a row sends the message "this is the Beach Boys, and you're definitely getting a beach party type show".

You could definitely make it work well, but I'm not sure it would work *as* well, and it would require quite a bit of work in juggling stuff around.

If you want to open with the car set, you could have Ballad of Old Betsy to drop the tempo, then go into Don't Worry Baby, which could transition to the mid 60s hits (ie.  When I Grow Up). 
KDS
« Reply #106 on: February 22, 2016, 01:31:26 PM »

Yep -- although we're all pretty lucky that we like a band where when they play 36 songs we talk about them "only" doing that many...

They do set the bar pretty high. 
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 22, 2016, 01:52:40 PM »

Now, we'd lose the dancers so maybe that's a deal breaker...but what about Barbara Ann as the opener? Get that sucker outta the way EARLY!  LOL
KDS
« Reply #108 on: February 22, 2016, 08:15:28 PM »

Now, we'd lose the dancers so maybe that's a deal breaker...but what about Barbara Ann as the opener? Get that sucker outta the way EARLY!  LOL

Crazy idea.

Open with Fun Fun Fun

Then, cool things down with Kokomo

Then, bring out the dancers for Barbara Ann
Senator Blutarsky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 26, 2016, 08:35:08 PM »

Just got back from the Melbourne FL show.   Was my 1st Mike and Bruce show.

A few highlights...

STAMOS - definitely a plus , took lead vocals on Forever. Alternated between drums and guitar on the majority of songs.

Mike has a cool sense of humor and the banter between him and Stamos was good.  Hats off to Mike Love for doing this as long as he has and at the age that he is. Bruce sounded great on Disney Girls.

2nd half of the show was definitely better than 1st half.  Really  heavy on the nostalgia in the beginning. Admittedly I am not as much a fan of the surf/hot rod songs.

Brought my  daughter to the show, unfortunately couldn't hang for the full concert, but she did good for a 7 year old.  Attention span gave out and was up at 6:40 AM so was falling asleep some, thank God for Stamos as she's been on a Fuller House kick today.   I split during Surfin USA,  kid was done,  I assume I missed Kokomo and Fun Fun Fun.

Definitely a different experience compared to seeing Brian.  More drunk people, but that could be venue related. Someone that had one too many cocktails before the show kept shouting for Stamos to leave the stage.  

« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 08:38:28 PM by Senator Blutarsky » Logged
Senator Blutarsky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 26, 2016, 08:53:29 PM »

Just got back from the Melbourne FL show.   Was my 1st Mike and Bruce show.

A few highlights...

STAMOS - definitely a plus , took lead vocals on Forever. Alternated between drums and guitar on the majority of songs.

Mike has a cool sense of humor and the banter between him and Stamos was good.  Hats off to Mike Love for doing this as long as he has and at the age that he is. Bruce sounded great on Disney Girls.

2nd half of the show was definitely better than 1st half.  Really  heavy on the nostalgia in the beginning. Admittedly I am not as much a fan of the surf/hot rod songs.

An a capella 'Their hearts were full of spring' was great.

Brought my  daughter to the show, unfortunately couldn't hang for the full concert, but she did good for a 7 year old.  Attention span gave out and was up at 6:40 AM so was falling asleep some, thank God for Stamos as she's been on a Fuller House kick today.   I split during Surfin USA,  kid was done,  I assume I missed Kokomo and Fun Fun Fun.

Definitely a different experience compared to seeing Brian.  More drunk people, but that could be venue related. Someone that had one too many cocktails before the show kept shouting for Stamos to leave the stage.  

mojoman3061
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 27, 2016, 10:50:42 AM »

Anyone going to Baton Rouge next week?
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 27, 2016, 11:24:52 AM »

You could get rid of the car and surf medleys they've been doing since 1981 and break those songs up a bit. I Get Around can easily be out of that medley and put somewhere else.  They've dropped Shut Down from time to time too, so that might free up some things.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: February 28, 2016, 01:28:35 AM »

You could get rid of the car and surf medleys they've been doing since 1981 and break those songs up a bit. I Get Around can easily be out of that medley and put somewhere else.  They've dropped Shut Down from time to time too, so that might free up some things.

The surf medley hasn't been around in over a decade.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 28, 2016, 08:42:05 AM »

You are correct, the old surf medley hasn't been , I should have made that clearer but there has been some "surf" medley in the setlist. I was thinking about the one Mike does now with stuff like Safari, Catch, Hawaii DBD, It's Ok
KDS
« Reply #115 on: February 28, 2016, 11:15:46 AM »

Just curious.

Does anyone know why Foskett doesn't join Mike, Bruce, Scott, and Ike on Their Hearts Were Full of Spring?
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 28, 2016, 11:30:29 AM »

Just curious.

Does anyone know why Foskett doesn't join Mike, Bruce, Scott, and Ike on Their Hearts Were Full of Spring?

Because it's a song with only four harmony parts. Foskett sang on it for the year or so he was in the band before Eichenberger joined, but it makes sense for Eichenberger to sing the part given his Four Freshmen background.

KDS
« Reply #117 on: February 28, 2016, 11:49:02 AM »

Just curious.

Because it's a song with only four harmony parts. Foskett sang on it for the year or so he was in the band before Eichenberger joined, but it makes sense for Eichenberger to sing the part given his Four Freshmen background.

Gotcha

Thanks
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 03, 2016, 04:07:56 PM »

Just noticed this. A live stream due to start soon from Baton Rouge for anyone interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afMRGSoZlNQ

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 03, 2016, 07:53:59 PM »

July 18th they'll be back at the American Music Theatre in Lancaster...I will not.  LOL

However assuming they stay nearby for VA on the 29th...that leaves a LOT of time for shows in the MD/PA/NJ/VA area in the better half of July.
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: March 04, 2016, 08:05:51 AM »

Someone that had one too many cocktails before the show kept shouting for Stamos to leave the stage.  

Smiley
mojoman3061
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 05, 2016, 10:39:42 AM »

Here is the setlist from last night in Hagerstown.   The band was great, the venue was cool but the crowd was the lamest I've ever witnessed in 30 years of attending concerts!!!!

This is almost exactly the same as in Baton Rouge (I took notes, as I did for Brian's December 4 show in Biloxi).  Insert "Don't Back Down" between "Catch a Wave" and "Little Honda."  After "In My Room," it went "You're So Good to Me," "Then I Kissed Her," "Dance, Dance, Dance," and back to the Hagerstown setlist from "So Young."

After intermission, "Wouldn't It Be Nice" was followed by "California Girls."  "Their Hearts Were Full of Spring" was followed by "Disney Girls (1957)" and then "I Can Hear Music," "The Warmth of the Sun," and "God Only Knows."  After "Help Me, Rhonda" was "Rock and Roll Music," "Barbara Ann," and "Surfin' U.S.A."  The encore was "Kokomo" and "Fun, Fun, Fun."

The show started with "Runaround Sue" on the PA and 1950s images on the video screen.  An aircheck of Wink Martindale on Color 98 playing "Surfin'" segued into the live band continuing the song.  I was in the second row in the balcony, far enough away that I couldn't tell who was singing lead on some songs.

Mike introduced "Be True to Your School" by saying, "In this political climate, this song could not be more appropriate ... cheerleading uniforms."  On the screen were cheerleaders from USC and then LSU, which got a big roar.  At the end of "California Girls," they changed the lyric to "Louisiana girls," again showing an LSU cheerleader. 

Mike proceeded to say they were doing the next song "a cappella, which in Cajun means 'naked'."  He talked about the Four Freshmen and how Brian Eichelberger was a member of the Four Freshmen for 18 years before joining the Beach Boys.  They did "Their Hearts Were Full of Spring" with just the four singers on stage (Bruce, Scott Totten, Brian, Mike).  Mike also gave a long introductory talk about George Harrison and Rishikesh before "Pisces Brothers," a song I didn't know.

Mike puts on a good, energetic show.  I enjoyed it and so did the rest of the crowd (nearly a sellout).
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 05, 2016, 11:07:43 AM »

Same exact shtick as Baltimore...and Lancaster the past two years! LOL
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 05, 2016, 07:38:16 PM »

The "A capella means naked" line goes back to "Live in London"!

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 05, 2016, 08:42:35 PM »

The "A capella means naked" line goes back to "Live in London"!

Indeed it does!  Grin
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 25 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx