gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680934 Posts in 27621 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 09, 2024, 04:21:51 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Story about Brian from "early 1967"  (Read 1603 times)
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 07, 2009, 10:00:41 PM »

Okay so I'm listening to a podcast on SMiLE from 2005 (right after they released "Beautiful Dreamer") and an old friend of Brian's and rock biographer by the name of David Dalton starts telling this crazy story about Brian from 1967...needless to say I had to share a small summarized version of this here and see if anyone else has heard it. Brian's reaction to it is possibly the best part.

So Brian is coaxed into doing a photo session with the BB in LA (I think) at the Beach in 1967 while SMiLE was still in the pipeline. Many reporters come because the reculse (as he was thought of by many journalists) is coming out and everybody wants to see him. He flatly refuses to do any of the cheesy group shots with the group and is generally hanging by himself. Dalton comes right up to Brian after awhile and asks for a few photos...Brian readily agrees and smiles. He strikes up a conversatioin with Brian and then eventually Brian invites him back to his house.  (After a brief event with Dennis...he offers Dennis a very tightly rolled joint and Dennis says "Thanks man, but it I smoke that I'll either kiss you or run out of the room screaming!") Once they are back at his house Brian thanks David for helping him build a swingset for Wendy (Brian in the podcast confirms without a doubt it was for Wendy). David says to Brian "I would've loved to have helped you with that but I didn't Brian." Brian stares at David and says "Wait a minute, you're not Phil Spector??!"

Brian giggles after that last nine and then starts to confirm it right away (paraphrased but only slightly) "That was early 1967. I remember every part of that day. I really did say that to you." It's as if they just awakened a deep memory in Brian. Basically confirms what people say that, when engaged, Brian's memory can be impeccable. A small while later the moderator asks Brian if that was a true story and he responds "verbatim."

Funny stuff...

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Nicole
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 10:16:42 PM »

I've heard the podcast before, and that part had me laughing, too. He also wrote an article going into more detail: http://www.gadflyonline.com/05-06-02/ftr-epiphany.html.
Beach Head
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 10:53:10 PM »

No way. There's just no way the story could be true. The facts simply don't fit.

Wendy Wilson wasn't born until Oct. 16, 1969!  Brian wouldn't have been building her a swingset more than two years before she was born.

And it couldn't even have been for Carnie. She was born April 29, 1968!

Brian may have his problems, but I don't think he's crazy enough to be building a swingset for one of his daughters one or two years before she was born!

So the story is either complete BS, or it didn't happen in 1967. Take your pick.
Nicole
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 11:10:02 PM »

I noticed that before and just brushed it off as the author getting the dates mixed up. He did say he spent a couple months with Brian, so he might just be confused about when certain things took place. But Brian saying he definitely remembers it being early '67 doesn't help too much, lol.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 01:16:06 AM »

I remember reading an article about that somewhere, and I think the article took place in 69/70. I think it mentions Brian having a stroller or something that plays the intro to "Be My Baby", and Brian goes on about the power of those three notes to him, thinking that it's Spector. It also said that spending time around Brian always involved lots of pot and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 02:41:26 AM »

I've heard the podcast before, and that part had me laughing, too. He also wrote an article going into more detail: http://www.gadflyonline.com/05-06-02/ftr-epiphany.html.

Read the full article, above - no mention of Wendy, or indeed any child at all. The photos fit that time frame. The human memory is a very fragile thing.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx