gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681009 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 12:11:42 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Collecting Beach Boys on CDs  (Read 10506 times)
beachboys_fr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 22, 2012, 05:18:50 AM »

Hello,

I'm new on the forum. I'm Eric, from France (so thanks for your understanding regarding my English). I'm someone who can be called "heavy" Beach Boys on CDs collector and I will be delighted to discuss with other fanatic. I've created this topic to share information on new CD releases, interesting sellers through the world, etc. If you simply have a question on a particular CD, just don't hesitate!
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 08:16:29 AM »

Bienvenue !

I think i've found via Play.com some japanese versions of their cds, which is faaaarrr more expensive (can go to something like 50 dollars)
but the audio quality is as good as the vinyls and the slipcase is all vinyl replica (which is awesome) but most important, doesn't have two albums stick on one cd and all that stuff.. so yeah, but is it more expensive.

As for myself, i'm waiting for them to re-release all their albums separately (but that's just me).
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 08:43:19 AM »

Have you seen the book about collecting Beach Boys CDs that Joe Thomas (no, not THAT Joe Thomas, but a guy from Ireland) compiled some years ago?? It's amazing how thick it is...even without the bootlegs, you'd practically need a warehouse to store 'em all!

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 08:49:21 AM »

Never heard of that! but would love to see a picture of someone who collects it all  Grin
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 11:20:01 AM »

Bienvenue !

I think i've found via Play.com some japanese versions of their cds, which is faaaarrr more expensive (can go to something like 50 dollars)
but the audio quality is as good as the vinyls and the slipcase is all vinyl replica (which is awesome) but most important, doesn't have two albums stick on one cd and all that stuff.. so yeah, but is it more expensive.

As for myself, i'm waiting for them to re-release all their albums separately (but that's just me).
The Japanese PastMasters Series are very good, but they are flat transfers and can sound dull. Though on CD, they are the closest in sound quality to the original LPs.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mark H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 01:07:17 PM »

Bienvenue !

These really are awesome, I have Surfin' Safari through L.A Album now, going back to Japan later in the year and know I will be tempted to 'finish' the collection by buying ridiculous things like Stack O Tracks for £25 but as an 'un two-fered' Mini LP it's strangely compelling!

Having the albums in 'proper' sleeves with gatefolds and inserts etc really satisfies the collector in me and it's nice to have a collection of individual albums.

The early 90's reissues (and the later 70's twofers) were a great way to get the discography cheaply and the bonus cuts and liner notes were fantastic.

However I think the my Mini LP collection is a nice way for me to have a Beach Boys 'record collection' seeing as I was just a twinkle in my dad's eye when the original records were released!
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 01:24:19 PM »

Bienvenue !

These really are awesome, I have Surfin' Safari through L.A Album now, going back to Japan later in the year and know I will be tempted to 'finish' the collection by buying ridiculous things like Stack O Tracks for £25 but as an 'un two-fered' Mini LP it's strangely compelling!

Having the albums in 'proper' sleeves with gatefolds and inserts etc really satisfies the collector in me and it's nice to have a collection of individual albums.

The early 90's reissues (and the later 70's twofers) were a great way to get the discography cheaply and the bonus cuts and liner notes were fantastic.

However I think the my Mini LP collection is a nice way for me to have a Beach Boys 'record collection' seeing as I was just a twinkle in my dad's eye when the original records were released!

Exactly !!!
could you post some pictures of those japanese cds ? some stuff such as Love You or Surf's Up must look awesome in that vinyl replica!
beachboys_fr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 12:53:20 AM »

Have you seen the book about collecting Beach Boys CDs that Joe Thomas (no, not THAT Joe Thomas, but a guy from Ireland) compiled some years ago?? It's amazing how thick it is...even without the bootlegs, you'd practically need a warehouse to store 'em all!

Yes I know this book and I had it. When I have had all the CDs indicated in the book, I sold it. This book is quite hard to find now. Note that even it was very nice (pictures....) it was far from complete. It should've been updated but the two guys Joe Thomas and Kye M. have had some problems together (as I know).
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 03:37:01 AM »

Yes I know this book and I had it. When I have had all the CDs indicated in the book, I sold it. This book is quite hard to find now. Note that even it was very nice (pictures....) it was far from complete. It should've been updated but the two guys Joe Thomas and Kye M. have had some problems together (as I know).

This book fetches a mere $ 270 in 2nd hand form at Amazon.com, nowadays. A snip, beer money.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
beachboys_fr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 03:55:53 AM »

This book fetches a mere $ 270 in 2nd hand form at Amazon.com, nowadays. A snip, beer money.
[/quote]

I sold it for about $100 in 2009... I had also the two other Joe Thomas' books on "Brian Wilson on CD" and on "Beach Boys Japanese CD".
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 04:02:06 AM »

I sold it for about $100 in 2009... I had also the two other Joe Thomas' books on "Brian Wilson on CD" and on "Beach Boys Japanese CD".
[/quote]

You poor soul...

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Mark H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2012, 10:29:13 AM »

Exactly !!!
could you post some pictures of those japanese cds ? some stuff such as Love You or Surf's Up must look awesome in that vinyl replica!

Apologies for crummy pic quality (and crummy carpet!), phone used as can't find camera!

The Love You inner sleeve houses the CD (which is in it's own vinyl style clear sleeve) and the Surfs Up lyric sheet is included in original 'format'.

Love You even has a different card type for the cover like the original vinyl Smiley

Examples of gatefolds replicated, same with Party! 15 Big Ones etc.

A few random 'un two-fer'd' albums.

Laughing to myself posting this as my girlfriend tolerates me spending stupid money on albums I've already got but if she came home and caught me photographing them she would mock me so much!  Cheesy
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2012, 05:48:49 PM »

Does anyone know the source of these Japan mini LP's? Are they the same as the PastMasters? Any help would be appreciated. How is the sound quality compared to other releases?
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2012, 07:25:24 PM »

Pardon me, but : HOLY f*** THESE ARE REALLY AWESOME !

Just by the pictures you can tell how well made it is, wow, wow wow! thank you soo much for the pictures, i might even think about buying them now! it's not really the price that bothered me but the japanese sticker, but apparently, that's just on the paper before you open it ? it's not actually on the cover..

man, that really looks amazing! i'm amazed, wow.

What's that white thing the cds are in tho ? are you keeping them safe into a book for cds or something?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 07:34:55 PM by Ziggy Stardust » Logged
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2012, 07:47:06 PM »

Very nice Mark....thanks for posting.  I hope these are the kind of re-releases we can expect this year. Un-twofer the albums and give them all digipak or mini-LP designs.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2012, 07:51:48 PM »

Very nice Mark....thanks for posting.  I hope these are the kind of re-releases we can expect this year. Un-twofer the albums and give them all digipak or mini-LP designs.

Now see i don't know what to do, should i jump  on these beautiful MAGNIFICENT japanese vinyl replica but that can be quite expensive, or should i just wait ? i mean is it official, are Capitol really gonna re-release all the albums SEPARATELY and in mini-lp design Huh if so, i might as well try and wait and see if it's as good and not as expensive.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2012, 07:57:06 PM »

I can almost guarantee that will not happen. No one has whispered that as a possibility.

All we've heard is a new boxed set, a new hits compilation, and possibly an archival release. No catalog revamp. And given how badly most of those albums sold on their first release, we're lucky to have the twofers at all.

The Beach Boys do not sell catalog albums -- with the exception of Pet Sounds and Smile. The only thing else that moves are hits comps.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2012, 07:59:10 PM »

a new hits compilation

Oh man, i'm so glad we're getting this! i mean we REALLY don't have enough of these, do we? forget the albums man! COMPILATION SUPER BEST OF MEGA DEFNITIVE GREATEST HITS! yeeaaaah!

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2012, 08:02:01 PM »

a new hits compilation

Oh man, i'm so glad we're getting this! i mean we REALLY don't have enough of these, do we? forget the albums man! COMPILATION SUPER BEST OF MEGA DEFNITIVE GREATEST HITS! yeeaaaah!

Eh. No one's makin' you buy them. It's almost expected anymore that a new one will be out every couple of years, so I'm not surprised.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2012, 08:07:16 PM »

Poor band, they deserve so much better... but no, let's stick with the greatest hits and best of.

Also Mark, for how much did you get those ? did you buy them online ? where ?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2012, 08:15:12 PM »

a new hits compilation

I know, right?

I would love a full catalog, two discs for each album, stereo and mono for everything, reissue program myself. Clear the vaults.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2012, 08:24:40 PM »

They're not the Pastmasters series.  The Pastmasters covered the Capitol 60's albums.

These are EMI Music Japan Mini LP (CD's) with paper sleeves with the OBI strip. They're VERY well done and cover almost every regular released Beach Boys album (Capitol, Warners, Caribou) plus original artwork.  They have a "TOCP" designation for each CD of the series.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 08:36:34 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2012, 08:35:37 PM »

Yeah i was gonna ask if they covered all the albums, thanks Mikie! do you have them too?!

That just sounds so nice, and even by cellphone pics you can tell the high quality of the product, it is incredible! i looked through some websites tho, the cheaper i could find was Sunflower i believe for like 30 dollars.

a new hits compilation

I know, right?

I would love a full catalog, two discs for each album, stereo and mono for everything, reissue program myself. Clear the vaults.

If only ... i'm really surprised this doesn't exists yet and i still don't understand why..

I mean come on, how MANY best of/greatest hits/compilations is there under the Beach Boys name to this day ?! 500,000 versions ? jesus christ.

best case scenario would be something a la Pink Floyd or Beatles, release the entire catalogue in a boxset with some extra stuff, many fans would be pleased and it definitely would sell much better than the two-albums-one-disc deal there is right now. why is this not happening already ? they are america's most popular band!
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2012, 09:04:20 PM »

They're not the Pastmasters series.  The Pastmasters covered the Capitol 60's albums.

These are EMI Music Japan Mini LP (CD's) with paper sleeves with the OBI strip. They're VERY well done and cover almost every regular released Beach Boys album (Capitol, Warners, Caribou) plus original artwork.  They have a "TOCP" designation for each CD of the series.

How is the sound quality? Is the sound quality better than the U.S. releases?
Mark H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2012, 10:34:07 AM »

What's that white thing the cds are in tho ? are you keeping them safe into a book for cds or something?

That's actually the back of the SMiLE sessions set hardcover book!  Needed a white background for the pics Smiley

I keep 'em in a standard CD box but will probably get a few mini LP specific boxes soon.

How is the sound quality? Is the sound quality better than the U.S. releases?
These are EMI Music Japan Mini LP (CD's) with paper sleeves with the OBI strip. They're VERY well done and cover almost every regular released Beach Boys album (Capitol, Warners, Caribou) plus original artwork.  They have a "TOCP" designation for each CD of the series.

Sound quality for these is pretty much the same as the US releases, the 70's albums are the same versions of the twofers definately.

As Mikie says these are largely the same releases but (whether it's EMI or a separate company) in Japan they package the same releases/reissues in a really cool way.  Again to echo Mikie they really are very well done.

Also Mark, for how much did you get those ? did you buy them online ? where ?

A little story as it was a holiday to Japan which allowed the collection to start!

I would see them from time to time when I was younger, various releases for various bands as expensive imports in some record shops, they were always in my mind as a 'dream purchase!'  Visited Japan last year and the multi floor (8 I think!) Tower Records in Shibuya was a music geeks heaven as they had mini LPs for loads of bands as standard.  Got to the Beach Boys section (normally Pet Sounds and some hits CD's) and was met with every frickin' studio album as it's own mini LP!!!  I just got Sunflower as it looked so cool and was concerned at blowing too much dough.  However before we left for home I went back at got Pet Sounds through Holland  Grin

I don't think I would have imported before due to price/uncertainty of quality etc but seeing them all in person (and having holiday money to spend) I couldn't resist!  Glad to put pics up to reassure/show others about the quality.

Since then I have got more here and there by ordering from cdjapan.co.jp.  It's a great site and you know it's straight from 'the source' and new/mint condition. They work out as about £20/$30 an album (seemed to be the standard price for most albums in Japan) but obviously shipping and possible import duty on your end jacks the price up a bit.

Search 'Beach Boys (or whatever your looking for) Cardboard Sleeve' and that should bring up all the mini LP releases.

If any are out of print there are some good ebay sellers in Japan.  Avoid Russia and China on ebay as the fakes are rife, you can tell by the far cheaper prices!

[I would love a full catalog, two discs for each album, stereo and mono for everything, reissue program myself. Clear the vaults.
Now see i don't know what to do, should i jump  on these beautiful MAGNIFICENT japanese vinyl replica but that can be quite expensive, or should i just wait ? i mean is it official, are Capitol really gonna re-release all the albums SEPARATELY and in mini-lp design Huh if so, i might as well try and wait and see if it's as good and not as expensive.

When I saw the 50th anniversary news I did think 'oops have I just spent prematurely on these when a 'perfect box set' (ala Pink Floyd Discovery/Beatles Mono etc) could be coming?  However I've consoled myself with the idea that if they do issue such a release the 'mini lps' within wouldn't be of the same production quality etc.

If I were you Ziggy I would wait it out and see what comes down the pike, then at least there's a choice between them.

To be honest, especially with the early albums (with no inner sleeves etc), you are essentially paying $30 for a cool cardboard sleeve for each album so it is pricey but then again they are soooo good!

I collect them, as said above to 'have a proper album collection' on CD.  They are great artifacts for me as a fan.  I would be tempted to 'triple dip' however if, as Wirestone suggests, they do something similar to 'legacy editions' and clear the vaults with existing and new bonus cuts relevant to each album, maybe as 2 CD sets per release where possible, maybe with live tracks/sets from the same year etc.   
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx