gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680890 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 03, 2024, 07:28:09 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tune X or Tones  (Read 8281 times)
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2007, 03:29:10 PM »

But AGD said that the track heard in the video could be a variation on Mona Kani. So the track on Get The Boot could be Mona Kani, and this could be a variation on it. Still, I'm confused. I had always thought that the track heard in the video was Tune X / Tones. If it isn't, has the real Tune X / Tones been b**ted somewhere?
No, no, no, no. No. What I said was that the song is known as "Mona Kani", "Mono Kanau" or some variation on that title. There is, to my knowledge, just the one version doing the rounds (although there is also an early version that I've clapped ears on). I'm possibly wrong here, but the real "Tones/Tune X" hasn't been booted yet.

There were lyrics written, btw, and hopefully they were just a scratch set. Because they're plenty dumb.  Think "Scrambled Eggs"

These "plenty dumb" lyrics you speak of...are they for "Mona Kani" or for "Tones/Tune X"?
Along these lines...there's a instrumental I've heard that purports to be the early 1967 Dennis track that bears the working title "We Don't Know".  I definitely "don't know", but AGD, do YOU know if it is what it's claimed to be?
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2007, 10:29:40 AM »

The lyrics are for Mona Kani - no lyrics yet for Tones (that's the Carl produced track with strings and slide guitar overdub) but a vocal session was held for it - as far as I know that tape is among the missing.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2007, 12:12:37 PM »

Major hands-up time for me - I broke the golden rule and relied on memory. You're right, and I'm not - that ain't "Mona Kani" in the video. Apologies to all.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2007, 12:15:11 PM »

I'll tell you what, Mona Kani is a gorgeous song. Though, I can't imagine how vocals would sound on there.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2007, 07:04:27 AM »

Mona Kani is the track that starts off with harmonica and little drum rolls before going brassy, it sounds initially like a Brian song but then the 'chorus' sounds more Dennis-ish like 'Celebrate the news', that's the one isn't it?
I don't know what the one on the video is.

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2007, 03:59:40 PM »

Okay, so if its not Mona Kani, then is it Tune X/Tones?  Judging by the style of this recording, I'm finding it very hard to believe this isn't a Brian produced Smile-era recording.  It seems to fit right in!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2007, 08:25:06 PM »

I think it's a Carl-produced SMilE-era recording, trying hard to fit in...
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2007, 08:34:08 PM »

c-man, I ask you - not because I disagree with you, but because I really am on the fence with this song - why you think it is a Carl Wilson-produced recording? I am constantly reworking my personal SMiLE fan mix, and I don't know what to do with Tune X (Tones). Do I leave it on, or do I take it off...
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2007, 08:56:56 PM »

It's definitely a section of "Tones" (unless my file is mis-named), but the version I have doesn't have that guitar overdub.  The strings are exactly the same though.  The voice at the beginning calling out the take sounds a lot like Brian, but could very easily be Carl. 
XY
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2007, 10:59:09 PM »

"OK, fine, thank you, listen..." at the end sounds like Brian to me. Someone should ask Billy Hinsche, because he allegedly played one of the guitars. The other guitarist was the great James Burton (later Elvis' live guitarist).
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2007, 03:44:10 AM »

"OK, fine, thank you, listen..." at the end sounds like Brian to me.

Wow! It really sounds like Carl to me. Brian seems more patient and calm and relaxed. Here, it seems that Carl was a bit rushed, because of time or just because thats his style of working.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2007, 05:07:27 AM »

c-man, I ask you - not because I disagree with you, but because I really am on the fence with this song - why you think it is a Carl Wilson-produced recording? I am constantly reworking my personal SMiLE fan mix, and I don't know what to do with Tune X (Tones). Do I leave it on, or do I take it off...

I think it's a Carl Wilson-produced recording because (a) it sounds like Carl's voice, not Brian's (to me) and (b) the AFM sheet for the first "Tones" session (March 3rd, 1967) lists the artist as "Carl Wilson", not "Beach Boys".  Interestingly, the "employer" is listed as "Brother Records", not "Capitol Records".  Also interestingly, the "authorized signature" is Brian Wilson's.  By the time of the next session for which an AFM sheet exists (March 15th, 1967), the "artist" has changed to "The BeachBoys" and the "employer" to "Capitol Records" (with no "authorized signature"). 

What do I make of all this?  I think the song started as a Carl Wilson-produced project for Brother Records (either a solo outing or a song intended for an outside artist), authorized by Brian (one of the corporate heads of Brother Records), and was soon diverted for a planned revamping of "SMiLE". 

As to whether or not you include it in your personal "SMiLE" mix...that would depend on what type of "SMiLE" you're aiming for:  (a) one as close to Brian's original concept as possible (circa December '66 or January '67), or (b) one closer to what might have come out in Spring '67 (including Carl and Dennis tracks).  "SMiLE" kept evolving, even when it was strictly Brian's project.  It ultimately evolved into "BWPS"!

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2007, 10:37:22 AM »

Oh, another reason I believe it's a Carl track...(c) when it was found in the vaults back around 1993, the powers that be told us it was a Carl track.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2007, 01:14:09 PM »

I think it's a Carl Wilson-produced recording because (a) it sounds like Carl's voice, not Brian's (to me) and (b) the AFM sheet for the first "Tones" session (March 3rd, 1967) lists the artist as "Carl Wilson", not "Beach Boys".  Interestingly, the "employer" is listed as "Brother Records", not "Capitol Records".  Also interestingly, the "authorized signature" is Brian Wilson's.  By the time of the next session for which an AFM sheet exists (March 15th, 1967), the "artist" has changed to "The BeachBoys" and the "employer" to "Capitol Records" (with no "authorized signature"). 

What do I make of all this?  I think the song started as a Carl Wilson-produced project for Brother Records (either a solo outing or a song intended for an outside artist), authorized by Brian (one of the corporate heads of Brother Records), and was soon diverted for a planned revamping of "SMiLE". 

As to whether or not you include it in your personal "SMiLE" mix...that would depend on what type of "SMiLE" you're aiming for:  (a) one as close to Brian's original concept as possible (circa December '66 or January '67), or (b) one closer to what might have come out in Spring '67 (including Carl and Dennis tracks).  "SMiLE" kept evolving, even when it was strictly Brian's project.  It ultimately evolved into "BWPS"!

Thank you. Well put... police
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2007, 08:13:46 PM »

Is there any more to it than the sound in this footage? I've never heard it before
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2007, 06:01:42 AM »

Yes, there's LOTS more to it.  "Secret SMiLE" has two or three rough mixes of the track (mostly strings), one just a partial mix, then another mix where the slide guitar and drum overdub comes in toward the end.  It's a complete song (albeit with no vocals), with different musical sections.  It's quite nice, actually.
Boiled Egg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2007, 04:50:13 AM »

man, i need to scrape a copy of the full version of this.

it's got the same chord structure as the opening bars of Gee, and (nearly) the hummed bit of Little Pad, jigsaw fans...
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx