gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680975 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 11, 2024, 04:55:10 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carl and Mike's relationship  (Read 78971 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: April 25, 2013, 02:36:26 PM »

The only debatable thing in that interview imo is:

So we've actually been having group meetings between Carl, myself and Al with the psychiatrist Howard Bloomfield, who's a good friend of mine and a board member of the Love Foundation, and we've done a lot of healing kind of things, airing grievances and working things out.

If I were a clear thinking human being (and no Beach Boy) I would believe that having a friend of yours as your psychiatrist is not an advising situation.

Regarding the other stuff: Mike is praising Carl's and Al's voices. Nothing wrong with that. They both sound fantastic on the SIP album. No need to see something in Mike's words that isn't there

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 25, 2013, 02:52:44 PM »

I just find it funny that a bunch of nobodies go on and on about a man who is more successful than they'll probably ever be...Michael really cares what people have to say about him, but he can't hear the bullshit over the sound of thousands of adoring fans night after night. Smiley

Remind me to use this line on you if we ever argue about Barack Obama again  Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 25, 2013, 05:11:05 PM »

Mike thought Carl was artfully commercial.

He doesn't say anything about being artful in the quotation we're discussing. Does he use the term "artfully commercial" elsewhere?

Isn't that the point in Popular Music. Commercial is not a bad word in Popular Music. You don't get to express yourself long in Popular Music if you aren't commercial and popular. Imo.

Depends. There are commercial artists who have had a long shelf life. There are commercial artists who had a very short shelf life. There are non-commercial artists like, say, The Velvet Underground who have achieved long term success. Pet Sounds was at one point considered not commercial and now it's the most commercial Beach Boys original LP. You're right that commercial is not a bad word in Pop music. However, it is a useless term because the people who seem to really care about what is commercial like, say, music executives and Mike Love, haven't much of a clue about it. They don't really know what it is and they don't know how to make it, which is why they sometimes get lucky and sometimes fail spectacularly. Meanwhile artists achieve real success without seeming to care about what is commercial and what isn't. So, as far as I'm concerned when someone judges things on the basis of its commerciality, I am afraid I find it to be at best a trivial observation and at worst a betrayal of one's own ignorance.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 25, 2013, 05:22:12 PM »

OK, we'll just continue to disagree.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Nicko1234
« Reply #104 on: April 25, 2013, 05:25:13 PM »

He doesn't say anything about being artful in the quotation we're discussing. Does he use the term "artfully commercial" elsewhere?

You don't think you might be obsessing too much over a quote from decades ago again do you?  Wink
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 25, 2013, 05:29:26 PM »

LOL

It's only a matter of time before I analyze Mike Love's remarks on TV show Quantum Leap.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 25, 2013, 05:29:29 PM »

We need to keep in mind that Mike is a guy who has one of the most commercial vocals in the history of popular music. His voice has been heavily featured in countless hit records and his voice is instantly recognizable due to so many hits and high profile exposure. So maybe his opinion on such should be a bit more respected.... Also, with the right promotion back in 92 (the height of the anti anything Beach Boys related that wasn't all BRIAN BRIAN BRIAN, David Leaf era) just about anything off SIP could have been a hit, so it wasn't like he was speaking gibberish.

Someone mentioned Velvet Underground.... I wonder if there was ever any mention in that camp of Doug Yule's vocals sounding commercial as opposed to Lou's? It wouldn't have been a ridiculous comment and if any of the songs with Doug on lead vocals had been a hit: his more commercial voice wouldn't have hurt.....  
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 05:33:26 PM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 25, 2013, 05:46:58 PM »

There are non-commercial artists like, say, The Velvet Underground who have achieved long term success. Pet Sounds was at one point considered not commercial and now it's the most commercial Beach Boys original LP.

One last thing, I don't consider VU to be a Pop group.  Pet Sounds was actually very commercial, its sales just weren't reported in 1966/67.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 25, 2013, 06:12:56 PM »

Does the Love Foundation still exist?

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 25, 2013, 06:13:58 PM »

There are non-commercial artists like, say, The Velvet Underground who have achieved long term success. Pet Sounds was at one point considered not commercial and now it's the most commercial Beach Boys original LP.

One last thing, I don't consider VU to be a Pop group.  Pet Sounds was actually very commercial, its sales just weren't reported in 1966/67.

Other than White Light/White Heat, roughly half of the Banana album, and Murder Mystery from the third album, just about everything else from The Velvets could have been an AM radio pop hit!
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 25, 2013, 06:39:24 PM »

We need to keep in mind that Mike is a guy who has one of the most commercial vocals in the history of popular music. His voice has been heavily featured in countless hit records and his voice is instantly recognizable due to so many hits and high profile exposure. So maybe his opinion on such should be a bit more respected....

He's an excellent and unique singer no doubt. He also undoubtedly sings on many hits - though interestingly he only sings lead on 2 of the boys #1 hits and one could say that the hook in Kokomo belongs to Carl (though that "Aruba Jamaica" bit was sung by many at the time). He's also sung on some duds (the self-penned Still Cruisin', the Looking Back with Love album). Like a lot of people who talk about commerciality, he doesn't really seem to know what makes for commercial music and what doesn't. And even if he was the one guy in the world who could know, it's still an inane observation on his part. He's not some suit working on the top floor of the Capitol Tower, spending his day mostly pushing paper around on his desk and and playing with that ball thing on his desk that every corporate office had in every 80s movie I ever saw. And yet, he sure sounds like one in this quotation. And that's the last thing I want anyone to sound like.

Someone mentioned Velvet Underground.... I wonder if there was ever any mention in that camp of Doug Yule's vocals sounding commercial as opposed to Lou's? It wouldn't have been a ridiculous comment and if any of the songs with Doug on lead vocals had been a hit: his more commercial voice wouldn't have hurt.....  

It's hard to say - some of the biggest hits and more enduring songs have been sung by guys who do not necessarily have what one could call (though I wouldn't) a commercial voice - Bob Dylan's Like a Rolling Stone, Neil Young's Heart of Gold, etc. I don't think anybody can truly say with any real certainly what voice is commercial and what isn't.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 06:46:43 PM by rockandroll » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 25, 2013, 06:42:01 PM »

So we've actually been having group meetings between Carl, myself and Al with the psychiatrist Howard Bloomfield, who's a good friend of mine and a board member of the Love Foundation, and we've done a lot of healing kind of things, airing grievances and working things out.

If I were a clear thinking human being (and no Beach Boy) I would believe that having a friend of yours as your psychiatrist is not an advising situation.

Regarding the other stuff: Mike is praising Carl's and Al's voices. Nothing wrong with that. They both sound fantastic on the SIP album. No need to see something in Mike's words that isn't there
There's nothing wrong with Carl's or Al's vocals on SIP - the problem is the material and the production. But I suspect Carl's mind was elsewhere; he came in, punched the clock, did the required work on SIP, but he was already planning to work with Gerry Beckley and Robert Lamm. What Mike's hopes for SIP failed to take into account was that pop radio had changed dramatically since Kokomo hit #1. The only way the Beach Boys were going to have a hit in 1992 was to start wearing flannel shirts and become a garage band again. Yeah, that would've been cool, middle aged Beach Boys trying to jump the latest fad (Here Comes the Night, anyone?). I don't even believe Brian could've had a hit in this era. IJWMFTT and OCA didnt' exactly race up the charts.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 25, 2013, 06:47:56 PM »

What Mike's hopes for SIP failed to take into account was that pop radio had changed dramatically since Kokomo hit #1.

He also couldn't admit that maybe, just maybe, Kokomo was a fluke.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 25, 2013, 06:49:19 PM »

We need to keep in mind that Mike is a guy who has one of the most commercial vocals in the history of popular music. His voice has been heavily featured in countless hit records and his voice is instantly recognizable due to so many hits and high profile exposure. So maybe his opinion on such should be a bit more respected....

He's an excellent and unique singer no doubt. He also undoubtedly sings on many hits - though interestingly he only sings lead on 2 of the boys #1 hits and one could say that the hook in Kokomo belongs to Carl (though that "Aruba Jamaica" bit was sung by many at the time). He's also sung on some duds (the self-penned Still Cruisin', the Looking Back with Love album). Like a lot of people who talk about commerciality, he doesn't really seem to know what makes for commercial music and what doesn't. And even if he was the one guy in the world who could know, it's still an inane observation on his part. He's not some suit working on the top floor of the Capitol Tower, spending his day mostly pushing paper around on his desk and and playing with that ball thing on his desk that every corporate office had in every 80s movie I ever saw. And yet, he sure sounds like one in this quotation. And that's the last thing I want anyone to sound like.

It's hard to say - some of the biggest hits and more enduring songs have been sung by guys who do not necessarily have what one could call (though I wouldn't) a commercial voice - Bob Dylan's Like a Rolling Stone, Neil Young's Heart of Gold, etc. I don't think anybody can truly say with any real certainly what voice is commercial and what isn't.

Hey, I dig Still Crusin' Razz

You are absolutely right, but people still have these rather vague yet rather stiff ideas of what constitutes "Commercial" yet still understanding all the variances and exceptions to....

Mike's also a collaborator.... I don't think he's ever talked himself up as some guy who single highhandedly cranked out hits all by himself with no help.... We can't blame the guy exactly for being a bit lost/adrift without the right collaborator(s) ....
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 06:50:56 PM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 25, 2013, 06:52:08 PM »

What Mike's hopes for SIP failed to take into account was that pop radio had changed dramatically since Kokomo hit #1.

Also couldn't admit kokomo was a team effort of songwriters not a total ML composition.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 25, 2013, 06:54:40 PM »

Also couldn't admit kokomo was a team effort of songwriters not a total ML composition.

Yes, but Mike and The Beach Boys made it a hit!

You gotta admit the "Aruba, Jamaica" part is damn catchy and Mike's cool voice followed by Carl is pure gold!

OK, I'm running away now.....
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 25, 2013, 06:55:19 PM »

Hey, I dig Still Crusin' Razz

In the words of Richard Kimble's judge, "May God have mercy on your soul."  Grin
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 25, 2013, 06:55:42 PM »

Whenever we're ragging on [insert any celebrity actor/athlete here], a brother of a friend of mine likes to opine, "he makes more money that YOU do."

Oh jeez, guess you're right. Never mind. End of discussion!

Never understood that line of thinking either. But then again money means everything to some people. And as we can tell, money has made Mike Love a INCREDIBLY happy, who always sees the bright side of an issue. Err, wait...

I just find it funny that a bunch of nobodies go on and on about a man who is more successful than they'll probably ever be...Michael really cares what people have to say about him, but he can't hear the bullshit over the sound of thousands of adoring fans night after night. Smiley

Remind me to use this line on you if we ever argue about Barack Obama again  Grin

Zing! Good one hypehat.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 25, 2013, 06:57:17 PM »

Yes, but Mike and The Beach Boys made it a hit!

You gotta admit the "Aruba, Jamaica" part is damn catchy and Mike's cool voice followed by Carl is pure gold!

OK, I'm running away now.....

I like Kokomo just fine. I don't think it's a fluke that the boys could make a song like that - they made much better on their own: All This is That as a glaring example. I do think, though, that they were very lucky with their timing with that one.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 25, 2013, 07:31:49 PM »

He's (Mike's) an excellent and unique singer no doubt. He also undoubtedly sings on many hits - though interestingly he only sings lead on 2 of the boys #1 hits...

Well, they only had four #1 hits (I Get Around, Help Me Rhonda, Good Vibrations, Kokomo) so singing lead on 50% of them ain't a bad average. Plus his "bow bow bow" on "Help Me Rhonda" is prominent as is his "I'm picking up good vibrations" part. Of course I don't have to mention that he wrote lyrics on all of those No. 1 hits.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: April 25, 2013, 07:41:01 PM »

He's (Mike's) an excellent and unique singer no doubt. He also undoubtedly sings on many hits - though interestingly he only sings lead on 2 of the boys #1 hits...

Well, they only had four #1 hits (I Get Around, Help Me Rhonda, Good Vibrations, Kokomo) so singing lead on 50% of them ain't a bad average. Plus his "bow bow bow" on "Help Me Rhonda" is prominent as is his "I'm picking up good vibrations" part. Of course I don't have to mention that he wrote lyrics on all of those No. 1 hits.

All in all: a guy who can get away with having an opinion on what constitutes commercial......... even if he's dead wrong at whatever moment.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: April 25, 2013, 07:55:11 PM »

I remember thinking something along these lines years ago back when I first read this interview. Even if one wouldn't have a problem with their friend being their therapist of some sort, if I was a band member and another member came to me and said "hey, let's go to a group therapist who can be objective, how about my good friend who is on the board of my foundation?", I'd probably wonder how impartial or objective that person could be under even the best of circumstances.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: April 25, 2013, 07:57:04 PM »

By the way, Al gave an interview in ESQ in about 2000 which is much more bitter about Mike. Obviously I can understand he was bitter about being frozen out of The Beach Boys but he even criticized Mike for marrying Jacqueline which was a bit much. In the interview Al said that Mike never forgave him and Carl for getting rid of the cheerleaders which I don't really believe but there we are.

I don't believe I'm familiar with that interview, but here is an interesting exchange from Al's 2000 Goldmine interview regarding the cheerleaders:

Goldmine: It saddened me that the Beach Boys' live shows were cheapened by the cheerleaders.

Al: Yeah, I actually got in trouble in an interview I did for a big magazine. I said virtually the same things and Mike got quite upset because I characterized the band that way. But I'm only telling the truth. It began to be a sideshow. Mike reluctantly gave into that eventually. But then I think he was so embittered by that that maybe that's when he began to reinvent the band.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 25, 2013, 08:22:05 PM »

I'm with Al on that one. How 'bout you, Jude?

When the cheerleaders came out, at first it was a novelty. Good looking ladies kicking their feet up in front of the stage. Then after a couple of tours, it kinda got old. Kinda took away from the Rock & Roll band's performance.  I mean, I like cute young ladies jiggling and bobbing around as much as the next guy, don't get me wrong, but it just turned it into a circus. I was waiting for the next act to come out in the circus.....

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Nicko1234
« Reply #124 on: April 26, 2013, 12:21:55 AM »

How many artists call their hit singles a fluke?  Cheesy
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 19 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx