gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680946 Posts in 27622 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 09, 2024, 03:27:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: David Marks' Baywatch '95 inclusion in BB's appearance  (Read 4911 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 20, 2013, 07:48:21 PM »

In reading the book "The Beach Boys In Concert", I am trying to wrap my head around why David Marks was somehow added to the lineup in 1995 for the band's appearance on Baywatch. 

Does anybody have any insight into this? Was this the beginning of trying to push Al out somehhow?

Such an odd, unexplained event, in a long history of odd events in this wacky band that we all (Mike) love.
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 08:15:16 PM »

I've often wondered the same thing. The whole thing is odd...Brian and Carl in the video for Summer of Love which neither sang on, and then neither is in the rest of the episode, then David is there, Bruce on bass, Al-Mike-Bruce writing SIP outside on a picnic table. Weirdness abounds.

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 08:26:34 PM »

Bruce on bass was common in most of the group's video appearances at the time (Kokomo, Problem Child, etc).  My guess is he did that to show a full band with less "extras" (as that's what additional musicians would be in these cases) being paid to stand in. 

As for Dave...you got me.  Same reason?
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 08:35:46 PM »

I could be wrong but I suspect the Summer Of Love video was shot as a video and not specifically to be the credit sequence for the Baywatch show (the credit sequence is the entire length of the song) and the rest of the episode was shot at some later time when who know how much drama had gone on behind to scenes.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 03:49:52 AM »

Just the fact that they were on Baywatch at all makes me massively depressed...
Bittersweet-Sanity
Smiley Smile Associate

Busy Doin' Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 05:57:02 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6r3zz_5Qc4E

The Boys perform 'Fun, Fun, Fun', 'Summer in Paradise', & 'Don't Worry Baby' on 1995 Baywatch episode 'Surf's Up'.

http://articles.latimes.com/1995-08-17/entertainment/ca-36177_1_beach-boy

Great L.A. Times article detailing the Boys appearance on the aforementioned episode. It seems that Brian was a bit aloof and uncomfortable during the shoot for the 'Summer of Love' intro of the episode & decided not to show up for the rest of the scenes that the band were in a few months later.

'Where's Brian?' Is the (Bay) Watch Word : Pop music: The elusive Beach Boy is a no-show for shoot; the question is will he be at the Cerritos Center tonight.
August 17, 1995|JESS BRAVIN | SPECIAL TO THE TIMES

SANTA MONICA — It should have been a moment of triumph for the Beach Boys, dropped from their record label but now taking center stage on one of the most popular television shows in the world, "Baywatch."

On the Santa Monica Pier, David Hasselhoff was praising the Hawthorne-spawned combo for virtually inventing the imaginary beach realm that "Baywatch" celebrates with babes, hunks and flaky New Age philosophizing. Gushed "Baywatch" regular Alexandra Paul: "They're the ultimate California band, and we're the ultimate California show!"

The Boys were performing in a "Baywatch" episode, and talk was that they even might do the theme song for the soon-to-be-spun-off "Baywatch Nights." To top it off, the summit by the sand came wrapped in a philanthropic premise: The band's "Baywatch" appearance had been written into the script as a benefit for the Surfrider Foundation, a real-world organization of ecologically minded surfers.

And so, it was with a predictable shrug that the assembled Beach Boys faced the first question that brought so many in the media to the shoot:

"Where's Brian?"

For although it has been 30 years since Brian Wilson stopped touring with his band mates, the brilliant, fragile, tragic songwriter behind the Beach Boys sound remains the group's biggest draw. Realizing this, the band's press agents--who in their promotional literature continue to list Brian as an active Beach Boy--had promised that the elusive Wilson would appear. The claim, made often in the past three decades, seemed plausible this time because Brian had shown up to film some "Baywatch" segments with his band mates earlier in the year.

There was, however, no Brian Wilson to be found, and the assembled crowds were not impressed by the substitute, David Marks, a guitarist who had played on a few early Beach Boy records.

"Brian is an enigma, a leprechaun," said rhythm guitarist Al Jardine. "I had a dream in which the four of us are together in a phone booth--and Brian's on the other side of the street, looking on at us from a distance. You could say he's a bit reclusive."

Bruce Johnston, the keyboard player who replaced Wilson on stage in 1965, was more blunt. When a press agent tried to explain away Brian's absence as a mere scheduling mix-up, Johnston interjected.

"No, that's not true. I called his management three weeks ago to tell him about today. I made sure Brian got the message. I'll bet Brian had 10,000 reasons to stay home, but a scheduling conflict isn't one of them."

Johnston said that even at the earlier "Baywatch" shoot, which features Wilson and the other Beach Boys frolicking in the surf, "Brian was distant, a little scared. He really wasn't there. He's been really busy trying to come back from where he's been."

"It looks like I'm going to have to go bananas all by myself." -B.W.

"Dr. Landy and Brian Wilson are right out of a storybook." -Brian Wilson

"So maybe Beach Boys fans are stupid and we can dismiss the whole thing. But maybe that's a pretty snotty attitude to take; maybe something is happening here that we just ought to know about" -Paul Williams

"Brian is an enigma, a leprechaun," said rhythm guitarist Al Jardine.

"There ain't a rocketship powerfull enough to be able to blast Jeff's fat ass into space."-Mike's Beard
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 08:18:08 AM »

No BW wasnt at that gig in Cerritos Ca in 1995. I was there..Really great  place to see a concert BTW..
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, 08:22:02 AM »

I'm sure Dave's presence was arranged due to the non-appearance of both Brian and Carl...they probably could've done the shoot without one or the other, but not without both.

A bigger mystery would be why that article doesn't mention Carl's absence...
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 08:29:36 AM by c-man » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2013, 11:18:55 AM »

I'm sure Dave's presence was arranged due to the non-appearance of both Brian and Carl...they probably could've done the shoot without one or the other, but not without both.

So would this appearance possibly be the 1st time the BBs played a "show" billed as the BBs without a single Wilson present?

Or at least, I'm thinking it's probably the 1st high-profile show or televised appearance billed as the BBs without a single Wilson present.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 11:22:47 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2013, 12:43:07 PM »

I've often wondered the same thing. The whole thing is odd...Brian and Carl in the video for Summer of Love which neither sang on, and then neither is in the rest of the episode, then David is there, Bruce on bass, Al-Mike-Bruce writing SIP outside on a picnic table. Weirdness abounds.

Carl sang on Summer of Love, his vocal is clearly present on the chorus--"Sum, Sum, Summer, Summer of Love"

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2013, 12:51:37 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6r3zz_5Qc4E

That's one weird youtube clip. Dave's awol during SIP.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 12:52:48 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2013, 01:09:56 PM »

So would this appearance possibly be the 1st time the BBs played a "show" billed as the BBs without a single Wilson present?

Or at least, I'm thinking it's probably the 1st high-profile show or televised appearance billed as the BBs without a single Wilson present.

Naw, there were several earlier appearances with no Wilsons...reportedly in early '82 at a few Vegas or Stateline, NV shows, plus a Virginia Beach '88 show and some concerts in Spain in 1990, just off the top of my head.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2013, 01:13:00 PM »

It's weird that most bands, if a single member had a conflict or was sick, the show would probably be canceled or postponed.  The Beach Boys just went on with the show.  Can't say whether that's good or bad though.

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2013, 01:26:24 PM »

I find it strange that they make such a big deal of Brian's absence, since he hadn't been an active Beach Boy in several years. Much stranger is the non appearance of Carl, who rarely missed a show.
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2013, 02:55:59 PM »

Im with Rocky on his post..Never understood that except it was probably about $$ Roll Eyes 3D
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2013, 03:43:29 PM »

I find it strange that they make such a big deal of Brian's absence, since he hadn't been an active Beach Boy in several years.

That's because it was in the middle of his reunion with the group -- they were working on a new album, and he did play a couple of shows with them in '95 and '96.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2013, 07:37:21 AM »

No BW wasnt at that gig in Cerritos Ca in 1995. I was there..Really great  place to see a concert BTW..

That's cool.
Did they play more than just the three songs? And do you know if more was filmed? I was wondering about that for the Pro Shot Concert List

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2013, 08:06:36 AM »

double post
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 08:08:28 AM by southbay » Logged

southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2013, 08:10:12 AM »

That's cool.
Did they play more than just the three songs? And do you know if more was filmed? I was wondering about that for the Pro Shot Concert List

I wasn't there, but the Cerritos shows (I think the In Concert book shows 3 shows on successive days) would have been actual concert performances completely unrelated to the Baywatch taping. They would not have been professionally filmed as far as I know.

Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2013, 10:36:53 AM »

I didnt see anything to  make me think it was filmed profesional..They were very good that night and talked to Al after the show by the edge of the stage.  Interesting Carl looked healthy + the sound was very good.. Altho Al was concerned how i had ever heard of Loop De Loop.! When i mentioned MIU he laughed and knda changed the subject. He was very personable and gave me an autographed set list that was taped to the floor..
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2013, 10:47:22 AM »

I didnt see anything to  make me think it was filmed profesional..They were very good that night and talked to Al after the show by the edge of the stage.  Interesting Carl looked healthy + the sound was very good.. Altho Al was concerned how i had ever heard of Loop De Loop.! When i mentioned MIU he laughed and knda changed the subject. He was very personable and gave me an autographed set list that was taped to the floor..

autographed set list, the ultimate souvenir. A bit off topic, but I snagged Lindsay Buckingham's set list from the FM show at the Hollywood Bowl this summer. Not autographed, but he saw me snag it and nodded his approval so that was cool

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2013, 09:25:27 AM »

Oh, I thought you were talking about the performance that is featured in the Baywatch episode.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx