-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 04:22:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Bellagio 10452
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  kitty Riot found guilty, or, how I learned to stop playing punk and love Putin.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: kitty Riot found guilty, or, how I learned to stop playing punk and love Putin.  (Read 3154 times)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 17, 2012, 04:45:43 AM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19297373

Maybe not really thread-worthy, but this is really depressing me for some reason. How f***ing dare they. That's how dictatorships conduct themselves, f*** you Putin.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 05:08:43 AM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Jason
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 10:31:30 AM »

Let's not talk about Russia like they're the only country that does this sh*t. It's going to happen in the United States and United Kingdom sooner than later.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 10:41:46 AM »

Disclaimer: I have no sympathies toward Putin, the Russian system of government, communism, etc. None whatsoever. But I'd like to play devil's advocate for a minute and flip this discussion over, for the sake of debate and discussion.

Consider this hypothetical: What would happen if a similar American activist punk band (on any end of the political spectrum) were to have done the exact same thing as "p*ssy Riot", and staged a profanity-laced, flash-mob style demonstration near the altar of (pick one...) the National Cathedral in DC, a prominent Catholic, Episcopal, or Baptist church anywhere in the US, a Buddhist temple, or a Mosque. And what if the object of their profanities was Pres. Barack Obama rather than Putin.

If they were removed and arrested, and depending on what exactly they did or said near the altar(s) of those religious buildings, then charged with anything ranging from a simple misdemeanor or disrupting the peace to vandalism to even a more serious felony charge depending on what they said or what was perceived to have been said against Obama, would they be viewed the same way as this Russian band, which has become something of a worldwide cause-celebre?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Jason
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 11:05:09 AM »

If the same thing happened but the target of the protest was Obama, liberals would be up in arms. They'd want blood. See, liberals love freedom of speech as long as they agree with it. Same for conservatives and their puppet-in-chief of choice.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 11:14:24 AM by The Real Historical Pistol-Whippin' Beach Boy » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 11:30:07 AM »

I think another key element to consider is that they did this either at or near the altar of a prominent Russian church, and depending on which church or temple or house of worship it might be in the US, if anyone did a similar thing it might even be considered a "hate crime" and prosecuted on a federal level. Again it would depend on the location, the religion, and the outlook of those prosecuting such a case.

Just consider the difference between a group like this in America protesting a political figure in power in a public square, exactly as p*ssy Riot had done and which happens in major US cities on a regular basis, versus the reaction if they had actually entered a Church, Temple, Mosque, etc. and done the same thing. There is a line to cross or not cross which is very touchy when religion is factored into a case like this.

I don't think any charges would have been brought if the band had done this in a public place and not a place of worship.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 01:15:48 PM »

If the same thing happened but the target of the protest was Obama, liberals would be up in arms. They'd want blood. See, liberals love freedom of speech as long as they agree with it. Same for conservatives and their puppet-in-chief of choice.

Naw. Liberals would be too paralyzed "seeing both sides" to have anything like a coherent opinion on it. You'd get the fanatical Obama supporters upset, the ACLU sticklers for freedom "even for Nazis" upset at them being upset, the center-rightish Harold Ford types equivocating and agreeing with right-wing pundits, and we'd all devour each other in a big circular argument. Insert footnote here to any given Democratic Underground thread.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 01:18:01 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 04:47:42 PM »

I don't think, in your hypothetical American scenario, that they would be sentenced for two years in prison (And America doesn't have an equivalent for a Siberian prison camp... unless you put them in Guantanamo Bay) for 50 seconds worth of scrappy punk music. It's a disproportionate response and it fucks me off. I can't believe how cynical some of you are.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 11:16:41 AM »

I was wondering if anyone here has actually listened to this band's music and what they think of it. For all the publicity I don't think any news report or coverage of this situation has ever played a sample of what this band sounds like, at least from what I've heard and I have been following it.

I mean, politics, celebrity support, and activism aside, a band is ultimately about the music they make, isn't it?  Smiley

(Well, there was 2LiveCrew, but we all know how that turned out...)

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 11:29:39 AM »

They're no Bikini Kill, but they rock pretty good. Charging guitars, no bass, shouted unison vocals, pretty standard riot grrrl stuff. Dated, as far as the US scene goes. But at least they got there eventually.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: