gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680949 Posts in 27622 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 09, 2024, 05:57:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 ... 106 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *Merged* Brian Wilson current album thread  (Read 570036 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1425 on: July 22, 2014, 08:42:15 PM »

Ron, show some respect. That's not too much to ask, is it?

And get caught up with the conversation. Or just keep calling the guy a rapper, whatever floats your dinghy. From page 38 or so...

What also caught my eye was the mention of Frank Ocean adding a rap, on a track which according to the article may or may not ever materialize.

I found that curious because, first and foremost, Frank Ocean is better known as a singer and a songwriter. Sure, he raps, but it's not like Jay Z or Lil Wayne where rap is the main style he's known for. Ocean has an R&B/soul vocal style where he can hit that falsetto range pretty darn well...so if Ocean was brought in and did not sing for whatever reasons but only rapped instead, I'd be surprised.

Again, I'm not an expert though I have listened to his music and seen him perform, but I do know he's known more as a singer and songwriter than a rapper. And tying into another point I raised on the other BW album discussion, he got his start writing songs for other artists, and eventually started putting his own vocals on demos and mix tapes which got him a performance/recording deal too. But he's a legit writer and producer in the hip-hop community, besides being a singer. The fact that he raps is only part of his resume, and having that mentioned in the article again surprises me because Ocean could sing the hell out of a lead vocal without even rapping.

I guess what I'm trying to suggest is that calling him a "rapper" isn't accurate for what he does musically.

And a curious side note to add: Even before this current news, Ocean had mentioned The Beach Boys as an influence on his music and writing, so he's not a complete stranger to the sounds and styles of Brian and the BB's from the past.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: July 22, 2014, 08:47:21 PM »

And get caught up with the conversation. Or just keep calling the guy a rapper, whatever floats your dinghy. From page 38 or so...

Why in the world would I not call him a rapper, when he raps on the song?  Why don't you show some respect for the word "Rapper".  It means "One who Raps". 

I am showing respect, I'm giving my OPINION, I'm not calilng anybody a homophobe, or a racist, although I personally have been called a homophobe and a racist. 

It's my opinion.  My opinion is the album may not be great because of what guests we've heard about, that's all.  I could be wrong.  I hope I'm wrong.  We'll have to see.  Nothing to see here.  Move along. 
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1427 on: July 22, 2014, 08:53:52 PM »

Why in the world would I not call him a rapper, when he raps on the song?  Why don't you show some respect for the word "Rapper".  It means "One who Raps". 

I am showing respect, I'm giving my OPINION, I'm not calilng anybody a homophobe, or a racist, although I personally have been called a homophobe and a racist. 

It's my opinion.  My opinion is the album may not be great because of what guests we've heard about, that's all.  I could be wrong.  I hope I'm wrong.  We'll have to see.  Nothing to see here.  Move along. 

Ron, it's your choice to want to be perceived as an a** or even to act like one as a schtick, but consider doing it elsewhere and you might find a more receptive audience to laugh at the jokes.

What I meant by respect isn't about rappers or Frank Ocean or anything of the sort, it's about respecting the actual people posting here and the people who come here to actually read and enjoy the discussions and debates, or to actually read about this new album.

Show respect, you'll get respect. We all get heated up and start arguing, but the last few pages have been pathetic.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: July 22, 2014, 09:22:49 PM »

Then, there's this perspective:

http://www.sfbg.com/noise/2014/07/22/why-brian-wilsons-next-album-will-probably-be-masterpiece
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: July 22, 2014, 09:29:04 PM »

We can only hope.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: July 22, 2014, 09:31:23 PM »

And in other news, that article ends with an interesting sentence: "The Beach Boys (with Wilson) play the Mountain Winery on August 1."

Looking at their website, is it really possible that the Goo Goo Dolls and the Plain White T's got a second show booked due to popular demand?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 09:34:59 PM by Bubbs Waves » Logged
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: July 22, 2014, 09:35:12 PM »

Why in the world would I not call him a rapper, when he raps on the song?  Why don't you show some respect for the word "Rapper".  It means "One who Raps".  

It's my opinion.  My opinion is the album may not be great because of what guests we've heard about, that's all.  I could be wrong.  I hope I'm wrong.  We'll have to see.  Nothing to see here.  Move along.  

Ron, it's your choice to want to be perceived as an a** or even to act like one as a schtick, but consider doing it elsewhere and you might find a more receptive audience to laugh at the jokes.

What I meant by respect isn't about rappers or Frank Ocean or anything of the sort, it's about respecting the actual people posting here and the people who come here to actually read and enjoy the discussions and debates, or to actually read about this new album.

Show respect, you'll get respect. We all get heated up and start arguing, but the last few pages have been pathetic.

Yes, we all get heated and argue.... Ron has just as much right to do so as you or anyone else.

We all need to start following our own rules if they are so important.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 10:27:29 PM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: July 22, 2014, 09:48:12 PM »

I don't know if that's very flattering to Brian or his fanbase over the age of, say, 35. He thinks TLOS is a crappy album, even though it's the most Brian-controlled album among all his solo albums. He thinks surf music stinks and that the only audience that counts are young music nerds. Then he makes his entire argument at least slightly ridiculous when he says that Brian is touring with the current Beach Boys.  I suspect he's not really a fan of Brian or the Beach Boys, but has read about them and thinks what he wrote is what hipster indie rock writers should think about Brian.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: July 22, 2014, 10:11:48 PM »

I am young, listen to modern music, and think this album is not going to be very good. Some of the tracks we know are recycled. Others don't sound very promising based on their bland song titles. Brian may have been working on his Capitol release for a long time but we also know it has been reworked several times, his collaboration with Jeff Beck having been completely aborted. To me the lack of focus of these sessions as well as the nature of material indicates we are looking at a very forced album. He might be working harder than on GIOM but the inspiration still isn't there.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1434 on: July 22, 2014, 10:36:50 PM »

Yes, we all get heated and argue.... Ron has just as much right to do so as you or anyone else.

We all need to start following our own rules is they are so important.

If you can't see where or how Ron crossed the line, it's not my burden to point it out. If you want more like the last four pages of this nonsense, that's your problem, don't make it everyone's in return.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1435 on: July 22, 2014, 10:45:31 PM »

I am young, listen to modern music, and think this album is not going to be very good. Some of the tracks we know are recycled. Others don't sound very promising based on their bland song titles. Brian may have been working on his Capitol release for a long time but we also know it has been reworked several times, his collaboration with Jeff Beck having been completely aborted. To me the lack of focus of these sessions as well as the nature of material indicates we are looking at a very forced album. He might be working harder than on GIOM but the inspiration still isn't there.

Since you know so much about the details, which tracks were recycled and what were they recycled from? Since when does a song title's blandness or excitement mean anything until you actually hear it? How many tracks were recorded with Jeff Beck and his jazz-fusion band, and how many were originally planned going into the proposed collaboration? Did you witness this "lack of focus" having been in the studio, or did you hear or read something none of us has seen? On what do you base your claim of the inspiration not being there, again were you involved in the project to know how "inspired" it was or was not at any given time in the process? Does reworking an album before it's given a final sequence and mastering exist as a music business rarity exclusive only to Brian Wilson, and only to music he's creating?

If you do know some of these details which no one else has heard, please fill us in, you'll help us fans sort things out properly and start assuming the negatives as you're able to do based on firsthand information so we don't come off looking like rose-colored-glasses-wearing naive fans.

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: July 22, 2014, 10:54:08 PM »

Since you know so much about the details, which tracks were recycled and what were they recycled from? Since when does a song title's blandness or excitement mean anything until you actually hear it? How many tracks were recorded with Jeff Beck and his jazz-fusion band, and how many were originally planned going into the proposed collaboration? Did you witness this "lack of focus" having been in the studio, or did you hear or read something none of us has seen? On what do you base your claim of the inspiration not being there, again were you involved in the project to know how "inspired" it was or was not at any given time in the process? Does reworking an album before it's given a final sequence and mastering exist as a music business rarity exclusive only to Brian Wilson, and only to music he's creating?

If you do know some of these details which no one else has heard, please fill us in, you'll help us fans sort things out properly and start assuming the negatives as you're able to do based on firsthand information so we don't come off looking like rose-colored-glasses-wearing naive fans.

What's the big deal that this kid has a feeling/opinion/hunch that the album will be this or that? Without perhaps knowing all the details you specify, there are enough pieces of the puzzle available to form a sort of preemptive opinion ..... I haven't heard anyone at all saying they'll never in a million years buy the album! No one's talking about organizing a boycott or anything. When tidbits of info and 10 second song snippets get released, people will talk and their imaginations will run wild.... Some will take Insider reports to heart and others will be a tad suspicious... It's just life and human nature ..... Why the irradiant indignation at some kid's musings?  ....

It's not always black and white! I remember all the fan and non fan chatter about Godfather 3, as one example before it came out .... The movie was released and many people dug it, many hated it and still hate it, while others have grown to love it! People bashed Coppola for casting his daughter in the role, and some still do. Some now accept her in the part, others love everything about the movie BUT her.... I guess it's a good example because, in the end, no one was 100 per cent correct. I think it's a great film, but there is as much to bitch about as there is to praise ...... just like most any work in any art form.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 11:00:45 PM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: July 22, 2014, 11:07:44 PM »

When there are people who haven't heard the album who are already saying it may be a great album, how is that different than people saying they think it might not be? They're both uninformed opinions. It's the battle of guessing games.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1438 on: July 22, 2014, 11:09:16 PM »

What's the big deal that this kid has a feeling/opinion/hunch that the album will be this or that? Without perhaps knowing all the details you specify, there are enough pieces of the puzzle available to form a sort of preemptive opinion ..... I haven't heard anyone at all saying they'll never in a million years buy the album! No one's talking about organizing a boycott or anything. When tidbits of info and 10 second song snippets get released, people will talk and their imaginations will run wild.... Some will take Insider reports to heart and others will be a tad suspicious... It's just life and human nature ..... Why the irradiant indignation at some kid's musings?

Why? Because it's sad to see someone convincing himself how bad it will be based on complete and utter nonsense like the lack of "exciting" song titles, or even worse a report of a lack of inspiration and a lack of focus...two things he knows absolutely nothing about and is unqualified to even make such a statement anyway, and I'm pretty sure that fact wouldn't be hard to prove unless he lives in the Wilson household or was in the studio as the album was being recorded.

Well, let's ask him directly: How and where did you see this "lack of focus" or lack of inspiration enough to make such a statement?

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: July 22, 2014, 11:09:56 PM »

... the last few pages have been pathetic.

that's putting it mildly.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1440 on: July 22, 2014, 11:15:00 PM »

What's the big deal that this kid has a feeling/opinion/hunch that the album will be this or that? Without perhaps knowing all the details you specify, there are enough pieces of the puzzle available to form a sort of preemptive opinion ..... I haven't heard anyone at all saying they'll never in a million years buy the album! No one's talking about organizing a boycott or anything. When tidbits of info and 10 second song snippets get released, people will talk and their imaginations will run wild.... Some will take Insider reports to heart and others will be a tad suspicious... It's just life and human nature ..... Why the irradiant indignation at some kid's musings?

Why? Because it's sad to see someone convincing himself how bad it will be based on complete and utter nonsense like the lack of "exciting" song titles, or even worse a report of a lack of inspiration and a lack of focus...two things he knows absolutely nothing about and is unqualified to even make such a statement anyway, and I'm pretty sure that fact wouldn't be hard to prove unless he lives in the Wilson household or was in the studio as the album was being recorded.

Well, let's ask him directly: How and where did you see this "lack of focus" or lack of inspiration enough to make such a statement?

Understood! But I'm sure when it comes out and if he likes it, he'll speak up! He's not saying he's not going to give it a listen! .... If anyone was doing that, even I would take them to task! .... I'm gonna snatch the thing up the split second I can, and on the most expensive vinyl edition possible, just like I've done with everything Brian's put out since Imagination! .... (I did sell GIOMH back at Amoeba though ;P)

BTW, the first album I ever heard on CD was Brian's first solo album! My uncle put it on during Xmas eve dinner, followed by Sgt. Pepper! I was too young to know what was up, but I was fascinated.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 11:19:19 PM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1441 on: July 22, 2014, 11:18:48 PM »

When there are people who haven't heard the album who are already saying it may be a great album, how is that different than people saying they think it might not be? They're both uninformed opinions. It's the battle of guessing games.

I'm not basing opinions on total nonsense like the quality or lack thereof of song titles, or trying to make comments about things that happened or didn't happen in someone's life or in the creative process in general based on things I know absolutely nothing about.

I'm excited simply because it's a new Brian Wilson album with new Brian Wilson vocals, new Brian Wilson songs, and new Brian Wilson arrangements. And I'm a fan of Brian Wilson's vocals, songs, and arrangements.

If I were not a fan of Brian Wilson and didn't care about this new album, I might say I'm not excited about this new album and simply *not buy it* when it comes out. But I wouldn't go pissing on other people's enthusiasm especially by using points like bland song titles to say the songs won't be good before hearing them. Or trying to suggest a lack of inspiration or focus will be a factor when I don't know jack squat about either subject enough to even qualify the statement.

I've said all along, about this and the movie and everything else: Save your money, don't buy the album, don't buy a ticket. Simple as that. Just don't try to sell others here on how bad it will be by using faulty logic or information as a basis.

Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: July 22, 2014, 11:24:38 PM »

Guitarfool, I think the whole project(s) sounds forced. He's even rerecording a Summer Days track just like on mediocre Imagination. I might not have heard anything but I know Brian's worst albums are those with the most recycling and guest stars. He's even keeping the summer alive by rerecording New Love, as well as the reported car song Run James Run, not to mention the island song. I wasn't a fan of the reunion fan, and my worst fears are coming to pass.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 11:33:14 PM by Gabo » Logged
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: July 22, 2014, 11:26:06 PM »

Some of the tracks we know are recycled.

What tracks are being recycled, aside from a cover of an instrumental that lyrics are being added to?

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: July 22, 2014, 11:28:39 PM »

I'm not basing opinions on total nonsense like the quality or lack thereof of song titles, or trying to make comments about things that happened or didn't happen in someone's life or in the creative process in general based on things I know absolutely nothing about.

I'm excited simply because it's a new Brian Wilson album with new Brian Wilson vocals, new Brian Wilson songs, and new Brian Wilson arrangements. And I'm a fan of Brian Wilson's vocals, songs, and arrangements.

If I were not a fan of Brian Wilson and didn't care about this new album, I might say I'm not excited about this new album and simply *not buy it* when it comes out. But I wouldn't go pissing on other people's enthusiasm especially by using points like bland song titles to say the songs won't be good before hearing them. Or trying to suggest a lack of inspiration or focus will be a factor when I don't know jack squat about either subject enough to even qualify the statement.

I've said all along, about this and the movie and everything else: Save your money, don't buy the album, don't buy a ticket. Simple as that. Just don't try to sell others here on how bad it will be by using faulty logic or information as a basis.

Guitarfool, I honestly don't think anyone, but I can only speak for myself, is intentionally trying to squash anyone's excitement or enthusiasm about this album. And if they were/are: that sucks and should be called out .... I think it's more a case of people airing their opinions and then feeling like they have to defend them ....... This never appeals to people's better natures :/ ......
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: July 22, 2014, 11:28:58 PM »

The only thing that I can think of that's recycled is "Summer Means New Love" for this album.
And to counter your point, That Lucky Old Sun, one of his most-loved solo albums also has one recycled song in "Can't Wait Too Long", similar to this album.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: July 22, 2014, 11:30:50 PM »

Does BWPS count as recycled?

J/K  Tongue
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1447 on: July 22, 2014, 11:41:43 PM »

Guitarfool, I think the whole project(s) sounds forced. He's even rerecording a Summer Days track just like on mediocre Imagination. I might not have heard anything but I know Brian's worst albums are those with the most recycling and guest stars. He's even keeping the summer alive by rerecording New Love, as well as the reported car song Run James Run, not to mention the island song. I wasn't a fan of the reunion fan, and my worst fears are coming to pass.

I'm being honest and open here by saying how reading what you wrote saddens me, and it would if you said it about any artist, ignoring that it's Brian Wilson for the moment.

You're basing an opinion on notions that in some cases aren't even available to judge, you're using a flurry of negative words before even hearing a full song, and you've already convinced yourself that it won't be good BEFORE EVEN LISTENING TO A FULL SONG.

I'm just saying as a music fan in general, open your mind and cast aside your expectations for something being bad before even hearing it. You'll find a lot of incredible, life-affirming music and art that way, by simply being more open to the possibility that something (or someone...) will be *good* rather than expecting it or them to be bad. It's a happier life, trust me. If I could take back the time I was cynical, negative, or expected the worst out of things or people based on preconceived notions I later found were totally false, I would in a heartbeat.

Just give things a chance, and do it with an open mind (and heart) before thinking the worst and being negative.

If *ONE TRACK* on this upcoming album happens to hit your soul the way "Wouldn't It Be Nice" hits me every time I hear it, isn't it worth it? Isn't it worth leaving that one door of positivity at least cracked open with a nightlight on in the dark to welcome that if and when it comes instead of closing and locking the door entirely?

sh*t, isn't it more fun to go into anything in life thinking something good will happen instead of telling yourself and others ahead of time it will all be bad without experiencing it first?  Grin

If this man and his music didn't affect me in the past, I wouldn't care at all about any new music from him. But if even a few lines of one song do what his previous music has done, isn't it at least worth giving it a listen first before thinking the worst?

That's me being 100% open and honest, ultimately it's up to you and everyone else if they want to think it will be good or bad before actually experiencing it. But I know which one of the two makes me more happy today. And I like being happy.  Smiley
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 11:42:52 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: July 23, 2014, 12:09:44 AM »

Who gives a f*** about Frank Ocean, Lana Del Ray etc...? This album has Al, Blondie and Dave on it, that's what I'm looking forward to.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: July 23, 2014, 12:10:18 AM »

I wish there had been a Cohenian "wall of secrecy" around this project so this "debate" could have waited till we actually heard the album.

Please delete my account
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 ... 106 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx