gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680889 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 03, 2024, 06:25:13 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Recent Pro-shot Mike & Bruce(and Foskett) videos  (Read 9354 times)
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2014, 02:43:08 PM »

Fair enough, but this has been going on for many a decade now: what constitutes a crappy representation of The Beach Boys name .... For many, this seems to mean MUCH of what they've recorded.

I just feel like "Pisces Brother" would probably really stand out in a setlist full of brilliant songs, and I'd rather not hear it if I'm going to see The Beach Boys, no matter who's in the band at this point. I know solo songs have been performed during Beach Boys sets in the past (Carl's Heaven comes to mind), and I suppose this could have been a one-off performance because they were performing at Abbey Road on the River, but I don't like the idea of the group that's allowed to call themselves The Beach Boys performing crappy Mike Love solo songs.

I probably made too big of a deal out of it than I should have by even commenting, but I'd just rather not hear it when I go to see the band.

But it's not a Mike solo song if it's being played by "The Beach Boys" ..... I'm not saying you have to like the song, but it just perpetuates the same old bullshit to knock it out of hand as being a "crappy Mike Love solo song" .... I mean, like it or not, it SOUNDS like The Beach Boys! Mike is a Beach Boy! He's been there since day one! Let him play his damn song.

I guess that's where we disagree. It doesn't sound like The Beach Boys to me.

And I wouldn't call it a Beach Boys song just because it's being performed by the current iteration of The Beach Boys. Is "Summer Means Fun" a Beach Boys song too? (This is where I'm biased -- "Summer Means Fun" is a good song, so I don't mind them performing it.)

I know what you're saying. Some people get pissed off because The Eagles play Boys Of Summer and stuff at their shows, but that song was on a Henley solo album, so the argument against it has some merit..... I don't think any Beach Boys fans would care though if they'd played Love And Mercy at the C50 shows. But that's a great song, however ..... Mike's song in question isn't on any solo album or Beach Boys album, and for all we know, it might BE on a future Beach Boys album, so why not just let it slide? ..... Anything Mike sings is going to sound like The Beach Boys basically .... The song isn't THAT different from Everyone's In Love With you, so yeah, sounds like The Beach Boys to me .... The guy's 74 and has been busting his ass for longer  than any of us, aside from OSD, have been alive ..... I say let the man do his little thing for a couple minutes without the pop boiling over.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 02:44:14 PM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2014, 03:14:52 PM »

Here's pro-shot California Girls: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J9LlYODUm0
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2014, 04:38:52 PM »

How did you snag these videos? IS there a DVD?

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2014, 05:14:30 PM »

I'm not the one posting them, I think whoever was in charge of video for this event is.
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2014, 05:37:08 PM »

I'm not the one posting them, I think whoever was in charge of video for this event is.

Oh, okay. I was wondering if they aired these on TV in Louisville where the concert was.

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2014, 09:52:02 PM »

Ouch....the only thing that clip has going for it is Cowsill.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2014, 11:39:31 PM »

Does anyone know if Randell has any leads anymore? It would be a shame to not use him for any leads at all. To my ears, Randell's lead on Good Vibrations was much better than Christian's lead.
Nicko1234
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2014, 01:58:09 AM »

He's gone from "nails on a blackboard" to sounding good.  The change must be doing him wonders! Wink

Smiley

Different songs and this is obviously a good quality recording.

And although Jeff sounds fine here, I still think that Randell would be a better choice for many of the falsetto parts.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2014, 03:37:26 AM »

Bit of a coincidence but this comparison compilation just showed up on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLOOmfTeDF4
Gohi
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2014, 05:36:19 AM »

Not sure where all the praise for "Don't Worry Baby" is coming from. Jeff is pitchy as heck and it sounds as "nails on a blackboard" as ever.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2014, 06:45:26 AM »

IMO Jeff's live rendition of Don't Worry Baby tops Brian's live vocals I've heard for this song. Nobody can match the original recording, which is tough as hell to sing, but Jeffrey has a certain noble and efortless quality to his falsetto, specially in the lower range (F to B), that is lacking in most falsettists they've had. I am fond of Randell's tone also, who can sound thick in a BW fashion in the higher end of the falsetto register. And let us not forget Scott Totten, who can sing very good falsetto-- his double lead with Jeff on Why Do Fools Fall in Love during the C50 tour was really beautiful.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Gohi
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2014, 07:50:56 AM »

He sounds fine when he's using his full voice but once he gets to falsetto it sounds piercing and he's consistently flat and sharp.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2014, 08:28:12 AM »

(Brianista content warning)-Funny how the praise for Jeff goes up when he joins M&B.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2014, 08:39:34 AM »

I think people resented the fact that he was covering Brian's voice a lot of the time. And how dominant his vocals tended to be.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2014, 08:58:10 AM »

Yeah...like when Jeff takes over vocals in Caroline No instead of having Brian sing the "break my heart" bit. I don't really care if Brian can't sing they high anymore, it sounds awful when Jeff comes in halfway through and Brian just sits there.

KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2014, 09:20:09 AM »

(Brianista content warning)-Funny how the praise for Jeff goes up when he joins M&B.

Is there some kind of Brian Wilson loyalty test that requires people not to note the obvious? Because Jeff does sound better in these videos than he did in recent years with Brian, or during C50 for that matter, when he was singing with both Mike and Brian. It could be that he's trying harder now that he has a new gig. Give him some more dates and more fatigue and he'll sound more like he has in the recent past. Jeff's voice has declined with age like most singers do. I never minded his voice in his early touring years with Brian.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2014, 11:10:07 AM »

About Don't Worry Baby - Jeff sings it about as good as anybody really can... but I have the same minor complaint I always have.  It's too polished, too pretty.  The original had a passion and a kind of wildness in it, even though Brian sang it so smoothly.

The difference between Brian Wilson's voice and Jeff Foskett's voice is the difference between Chocolate Milk and Skim Milk.
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2014, 12:19:07 PM »

Does anyone know if Randell has any leads anymore? It would be a shame to not use him for any leads at all. To my ears, Randell's lead on Good Vibrations was much better than Christian's lead.

I saw the first show with Jeff replacing Christian on May 32, 2014.  The only lead Randell had was "Then I kissed Her".  Jeff also took the lead on "Darlin".  I'm not sure if this was a mistake or not.  They started the song and nobody took the lead.  Jeff picked it up after a few seconds and finished the song.  Several of the guys were laughing.  I'm not quite sure what happened.  Either Jeff of John missed their spot at the begining of the song.  But, Jeff actually sounded good on "Darlin".
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2014, 02:07:45 PM »

I saw the first show with Jeff replacing Christian on May 32, 2014.  The only lead Randell had was "Then I kissed Her".  Jeff also took the lead on "Darlin".  I'm not sure if this was a mistake or not.  They started the song and nobody took the lead.  Jeff picked it up after a few seconds and finished the song.  Several of the guys were laughing.  I'm not quite sure what happened.  Either Jeff of John missed their spot at the begining of the song.  But, Jeff actually sounded good on "Darlin".

I hope that Cowsill got it back, he sounds absolutely phenomenal on that song.
Nicko1234
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2014, 02:11:47 PM »

Still plenty of criticism heading Jeff`s way it seems to me with people saying he should be singing fewer leads.
Gohi
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2014, 02:54:47 PM »

I saw the first show with Jeff replacing Christian on May 32, 2014. 
Was it as good as the show on February 30?
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2014, 03:04:07 PM »

Cool vids.

Now just give us Scotty T doing Ol' Betsy and colour me thrilled.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2014, 03:44:26 PM »

It's a catchy tune!
OSD comment on the youtube page-
"More boring, horrible mahacrappi horsepoop from myKe luHv."

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2014, 03:50:24 PM »

It's a catchy tune!
OSD comment on the youtube page-
"More boring, horrible mahacrappi horsepoop from myKe luHv."

"MAHACRAPPI"

Grin

Pure, unadulterated OSD  Cool Guy
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2014, 04:03:17 PM »

Yeah...like when Jeff takes over vocals in Caroline No instead of having Brian sing the "break my heart" bit. I don't really care if Brian can't sing they high anymore, it sounds awful when Jeff comes in halfway through and Brian just sits there.

But, we have to be careful not to shoot the messenger. Jeff is...er...was just doing his job. That is what Brian and his wifeandmanagers hired him to do. And think of the alternative. It would've been very uncomfortable if Brian just sat there not singing with the song continuing along sans vocal.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx