gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680897 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 05, 2024, 02:09:18 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Poor Ol' Bruce  (Read 7460 times)
ukulelejesus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 27, 2011, 05:25:52 AM »

I was thinking about Bruce Johnston and I felt kinda sorry for him. Ask the average person to name the Beach Boys, just an average human on the streets and they'll either not know, or say John Stamos. Now ask the average rock history nerd and you'll probably get the Wilsons, Mike Love and the short guy, that Al Jardine person. But Bruce has kind of had his history in the band fairly ignored and your average Bitchfork commenter who heard Pet Sounds and BWPS and might actually be Panda Bear when he's at home might argue that Bruce doesn't count, but he's on Pet Sounds for god's sake, he wrote Deidre, which is a great song, but he picked the wrong side in the legacy thing and ended up on Team Mike, and now all the hipster kid and everyone else pretends he never did sh*t.

Poor Bruce.

Over and over the crow cries uncover the lifehouse lifehouse lifehouse
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 06:12:03 AM »

I agree, even if when I saw The Beach Boys in July all Bruce did for most of the show was fiddle with the knobs on his keybord!

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 06:18:21 AM »

I agree, even if when I saw The Beach Boys in July all Bruce did for most of the show was fiddle with the knobs on his keybord!
Same here at my show in August, but he sang pet sounds songs, which is really all he needs to do.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 06:54:36 AM »

Poor Bruce?

He's Grammy winner on his own. Had his songs performed by some extraordinary artists, including his own band.  Had a career before the BBs. And a career outside the BBs even when he was with them. Is all over some of their best albums. Got to be part of one of the greatest bands in history while having a life and career of his own. Made more money than most people would dream of. Toured the world while performing this great music. Is an insider of the California music scene of the late 50s early 60s. As a teen he worked with Spector, Valens. Seems to lead a great musical and family life. Is an accomplished musician. The list goes on and on...

That the average rock fan may not know him is minimal next to all those things. I'm sure he doesn't care

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 06:55:13 AM »

It's ironic because between the 60's and early 70's Bruce seemed a bit of a hipster himself. But all in all I am sure he himself feels that he has had more than a rewarding career.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 07:08:45 AM »

I imagine Bruce comforts himself, and cries himself to sleep each night in the large, large, friekishly large pile of cash he's made over the years.  He's prob. worth, what, 10 million? 
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 07:18:22 AM »

Bruce rullzz. He has our love, hopefully that's enough. I thnk he's more known than the OP is talking about (while yes, occasionally discredited a bit).

And yeah, taking his entire career into account, I'm sure he's pretty satisfied.

I'd also like to say f*** Panda Bear imo

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
debonbon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 07:20:31 AM »

I've always had a lot of time for Bruce, a lot more than some of the other members.

A healthy...low fat or non-fat...healthy......blizzard.
Jason
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 07:45:14 AM »

I imagine Bruce comforts himself, and cries himself to sleep each night in the large, large, friekishly large pile of cash he's made over the years.  He's prob. worth, what, 10 million? 

Actually, Bruce is apparently the wealthiest of the Beach Boys, mainly from his inheritance (I believe it was a pharmaceutical company).
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 07:46:16 AM »

Bruce is a pro, no doubt about it.  He earns his wage for sure, but his heart is right in it.

He brought Pet Sounds here in 66, and was talking SMiLE up over here on the BBC just last week.

He's the only BB who bothers to communicate directly, and off his own bat, with fans via the BBB board.

He supported Bri with backing vox at that early solo gig filmed during the Imagination "era".

People hammer him for HCTN 79 but that wasn't really his baby.

He'd stepped in to cover for Brian production-wise on that LA (Light Album) which produced some of the last big hits of the BBs career (KokoPops excepted).

He plays the defensive diplomat maybe, with regard to the past, but at least he makes his own choices in that regard.

He's the only Beach Boy who still surfs; perhaps the only one who still enjoys a beer!

I used to think he produced Simon & Garfunkle, Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash but that was Bob Johnston.  LOL

Bruce is okay in my book.

“We live in divisive times.”
PhilSpectre
Smiley Smile Associate

May You Never Hear Surf Music ... Again

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 07:58:03 AM »

Hey, don't forget that Bruce 'Wrote the Songs' ... Cheesy
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 08:36:38 AM »

Bruce still lives next to Oprah in Montecito, doesn't he? THAT'S some expensive property. Plus, he put four boys through college at some prestigious schools. Guy rakes it in, big time, just on royalties and investments alone. Plus his lucrative proceeds from walking across the stage in his white shorts clapping, smiling, and waving in the touring Mike and Bruce band.....

And he probably owns half of the Pacifico brewing company.

Yeah, poor Bruce.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 09:17:34 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 08:45:28 AM »

Actually, Bruce is apparently the wealthiest of the Beach Boys, mainly from his inheritance (I believe it was a pharmaceutical company).

Very nice.  So in other words, he was already independently wealthy, but still chose to tour with a rock band his ENTIRE LIFE?  He's more of a bad-ass than I thought.  He's approaching a Mike Love level of badass. 

I've messaged him a couple times on various message boards, he seems to be a really kind and gentle guy.  Good for him. 
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 08:51:49 AM »

Wasn't there a thread here that talked about how Bruce had a split personality these days? He seems like smart and interesting person to talk to if he is in a good mood.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 09:24:38 AM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, 09:06:49 AM »

Bruce is OK by me.  A tireless performer and pr spokesperson for the BeachBoys.  Met him once.  He actually spent a considerable time with me just making small talk.  Very polite and tolerant.  I always thought it was a shame that his grammy song didn't get the proper treatment by the Beachboys.  Imagine the background vocals on that one.  Whew!

I know they tried to do it live a few decades ago but I witnessed some very loud booing once when Mike told the audience that Bruce was going to do a song he wrote and the audience thought it was I Write The Songs.  Turned out it was Disney Girls, but the message was sent.  Some people were quite averse to hearing the Beach Boys do Barry Manillo.

As for his inheritance, I think it is on Wikipedia under the Bruce Bio.  Seems it was Rexall affiliated.

Does he REALLY live next to Oprah?
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2011, 09:07:29 AM »

Bruce still lives next door to Oprah in Montecito, doesn't he? THAT'S some expensive property. Plus, he put four boys through college at some prestigious schools. Guy rakes it in, big time, just on royalties and investments alone. Plus his lucrative proceeds from walking across the stage in his white shorts clapping, smiling, and waving in the touring Mike and Bruce band.....

And he probably owns half of the Pacifico brewing company.

Yeah, poor Bruce.

That's your money putting his kids through school!

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2011, 09:15:07 AM »

Yeah, at one point he lived across the road from Oprah I think and she also bought the property next door to him. He complained about all the construction noise while he was in his home studio or whatever it was. His home was up for sale a few years ago, but I think he decided to stay or moved down the road. He still surfs there.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 09:34:18 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2011, 09:22:02 AM »

If I'm ever in the States again I'll drop by and he can buy me a beer with my money!  LOL

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2011, 09:37:50 AM »

$10 million, plus considerable change.

He does seem to share the same fate as Ronnie Wood as, forty odd years into his tenture, he's still considered the new guy in the band.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2011, 09:40:09 AM »

He doesn't like the album 'Friends' - so I just don't know what to think...

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2011, 09:44:40 AM »

that make the whole world sing?

Evil

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2011, 09:45:51 AM »

He doesn't like the album 'Friends' - so I just don't know what to think...

... But Sunflower is his favourite BB album, so he's forgiven.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2011, 09:47:28 AM »

$10 million, plus considerable change.

He does seem to share the same fate as Ronnie Wood as, forty odd years into his tenture, he's still considered the new guy in the band.

Which band?  Faces?

RIMSHOT!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
SMiLE
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2011, 09:48:55 AM »

That was definitely a bad  mark on his record. Roll Eyes
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2011, 10:03:17 AM »

That's a highpoint on his record.  He's probably made a fortune off of it.  He even got a GRAMMY for it, lol.  I mean sh*t. 
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx