gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680984 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 12, 2024, 11:56:46 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hidden mixes on MIC  (Read 10906 times)
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: September 17, 2013, 02:19:13 AM »

As noted in the MIC track discussion thread, some new mixes weren't specified as such. I'd like to collect them in this thread, so I don't have to go through the other really long thread again.

There's the new stereo mix of Fun, Fun, Fun with the instruments separated and the longer fade, and Little Honda with the two guitars now each on one stereo channel, which surprised me a lot. I assumed they were both recorded simultaneously, obviously they weren't. I always wished the punk guitar would have been mixed louder though! Grin

What other new mixes were not specified? Is that MIC's way of including hidden tracks?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 06:05:50 AM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:45:11 PM by zatch » Logged
Jason
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 07:08:39 AM »

Not so much hidden, but the Darlin' stereo remix was corrected from the 50 Big Ones release, which accidentally "lost" a few lead vocal fragments.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 07:14:55 AM »

Not so much hidden, but the Darlin' stereo remix was corrected from the 50 Big Ones release, which accidentally "lost" a few lead vocal fragments.

That counts as hidden! Smiley

branaa09
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 07:15:38 AM »

How about the new Stereo Mix of the 1966 version of Our Prayer? For years it was believed to be single tracked or the sessions were lost, maybe this was something that was discovered on tape after the release of TSS.
Jason
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 07:30:23 AM »

That's pretty out in the open but surprisingly not many people commented about it. I think the stereo mix sounds pretty decent.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 07:39:25 AM »

How about the new Stereo Mix of the 1966 version of Our Prayer? For years it was believed to be single tracked or the sessions were lost, maybe this was something that was discovered on tape after the release of TSS.

That doesn't count because it is identified as a new, unreleased mix on the tracklist.

Hmmm - Barbara Ann says "2012 stereo mix", but it is not identified as unreleased - is it the same mix as on the mono/stereo Party? There's no party sounds on the MIC mix, are there?

Jason
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 07:41:44 AM »

The version on MIC is the 2012 stereo mix from the Party! mono/stereo reissue but edited similarly to the mono 45 release.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 08:09:35 AM »

Do we know for certain that these mixes are new?  Has anyone involved with the project confirmed this?

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Jason
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 09:05:30 AM »

Do we know for certain that these mixes are new?  Has anyone involved with the project confirmed this?

My ears tell me they're new.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 09:46:11 AM »

That doesn't count because it is identified as a new, unreleased mix on the tracklist.

Hmmm - Barbara Ann says "2012 stereo mix", but it is not identified as unreleased - is it the same mix as on the mono/stereo Party? There's no party sounds on the MIC mix, are there?
Darlin' says 2012 stereo mix, but so does the 50 Big Ones mix. They are different, so both saying the same thing makes it confusing.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 02:19:43 PM »

It's also on 50 big ones in this edited form.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 03:21:51 PM »

Warmth of the Sun has a new stereo mix.

It is new.  I also noticed it runs 10 seconds longer than the Shut Down, Vol. II version.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 10:15:42 PM »

So the MIC "hidden mixes" are: Fun, Fun, Fun - The Warmth of the Sun - Little Honda - Darlin'. Any more spotted?

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2013, 06:57:33 AM »

So the MIC "hidden mixes" are: Fun, Fun, Fun - The Warmth of the Sun - Little Honda - Darlin'. Any more spotted?
I wanted to ask you about Little Honda. What are you hearing that is different and where? I played about six different stereo mixes, but I am not hearing what you hear.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2013, 09:30:10 AM »

Boy, I wish I had the time to listen to these tunes as closely as I used to…  Sad

“We live in divisive times.”
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2013, 09:31:31 AM »

"Celebrate the News" sounds like a longer mix (outro goes on longer) compared to the Friends/20/20 2-fer which I own.
Sounds so good on MIC. The brilliant outro fade is so underrated.  One of the all time best BB moments, IMO.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2013, 09:37:25 AM »

"Celebrate the News" sounds like a longer mix (outro goes on longer) compared to the Friends/20/20 2-fer which I own.
Sounds so good on MIC. The brilliant outro fade is so underrated.  One of the all time best BB moments, IMO.

Sounds the same length wise to me.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2013, 09:41:46 AM »

Sounds so good on MIC. The brilliant outro fade is so underrated.  One of the all time best BB moments, IMO.

Sounds the same length wise to me.
It is. Compared with the 1990 and 2001 2-fers, all three fade completely out at the 3:00 mark.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2013, 10:14:06 AM »

Seems to be the same length to me i.e. not long enough. I agree that the fade is one of the most phenomenal moments in the BB catalogue - just such an incredible song! I adore Dennis' songs from this period.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2013, 11:01:14 AM »

Seems to be the same length to me i.e. not long enough. I agree that the fade is one of the most phenomenal moments in the BB catalogue - just such an incredible song! I adore Dennis' songs from this period.

I stand corrected - I just did an A-B comparison of my 1990 2-fer and MIC, and the run time is the same. I guess it just "pops" out better on MIC that it subliminally seems longer. The new mastering makes the track so much better on MIC!
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2013, 02:19:04 PM »

I wanted to ask you about Little Honda. What are you hearing that is different and where? I played about six different stereo mixes, but I am not hearing what you hear.
Have to agree, it sounds like the same 1964 Chuck Britz stereo mix that has been around forever.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2013, 02:21:13 PM »

Embarrassed

Umm... rechecked it, and you may be on to something...

Seems the only stereo mix I payed attention to before was a SOT mix with both guitars on the same channel, so I thought this was new. I'm embarrassed. Undecided

Tilt Araiza
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2013, 05:52:39 PM »

Isn't the 2001 stereo Wouldn't It Be Nice a bit different?  All previous version I heard had phasing where Mike's bridge vocal came in, but it's not on the box set.  I don't know if it's just my disc, but there is a big click before Brian's "we could be happy".
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2013, 06:12:20 PM »

Isn't the 2001 stereo Wouldn't It Be Nice a bit different?  All previous version I heard had phasing where Mike's bridge vocal came in, but it's not on the box set.  I don't know if it's just my disc, but there is a big click before Brian's "we could be happy".

The phasing is still there in spots, but it's not nearly as bad as before and is a big improvement. Glad to hear they fixed it up quite a bit.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx