gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680984 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 12, 2024, 12:22:02 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Did Van Dyke confirm that he wrote lyrics for the Child verses in 1966?  (Read 3269 times)
Chris Moise
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 27, 2009, 06:12:17 PM »

I can't find the post but IIRC someone mentioned here that Van Dyke did confirm that he penned Child lyrics in 1966. Is this correct? Does anyone have the quote? If this is accurate did he simlply not like the original lyrics or are they lost to time? Sorry for dredging up such an old topic but I couldn't find much in a search.

thanks!
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 11:36:44 PM »

I had an apparently false memory at one point- I was sure that one of the books I had read in the eighties (it seemed like it was the Preiss book) contained a few lost lyrics with the caption asking "Were these lyrics once part of 'Child Is Father To The Man'?" Years later I went looking, and the evil pixies of the night had edited it right out.  Never happened.  The mind is a funny thing.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Chris Moise
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 12:03:49 AM »

Found it. Anyone have the Van Dyke quote referenced below?

VDP has commented on some of the SMiLE tracks mentioned here. Back in 2004 post release of BWPS he gave quite a few interviews.

He did mention that he had never heard the track 'Holidays' until Darian played it for him. Darian himself was unsure that the lyrics for 'Child' that Van Dyke presented for BWPS were from 1966 or 2003. The general opinion is thst they were of the latter date. He has confirmed that he did write lyrics for 'Child' in 1966.

'Look', according to Brian (also in 2004) was originally an instrumental.

I cannot recall him saying anything about 'Da Da' etc.

Smokin
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 05:44:35 AM »

In an email to Jon Hunt Van dyke confirmed that he had written Child lyrics - it's unclear to me if he meant just the title/chorus (which are the same thing) or verse lyrics as well.

Van Dyke has said (in Dom's book) that the Child verse lyrics in BWPS are new, not vintage lyrics.
Bill Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 09:27:31 AM »

I was already aware of the quote from Dom's book but I think he also briefly alluded to it in an earlier radio interview back in 2004 (one he did jointly with David Leaf). He was doing a fair bit of media back then for BWPS so it may have popped up in something else.

Darian was never sure whether the lyrics were vintage or new as Van Dyke never said (why didn't he ask!). So he confirmed it later in Priore's book and declared the BWPS verse lyrics to be new.

Cool

I guess I've got a way with girls
Chris Moise
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 08:19:43 PM »

I was already aware of the quote from Dom's book but I think he also briefly alluded to it in an earlier radio interview back in 2004 (one he did jointly with David Leaf). He was doing a fair bit of media back then for BWPS so it may have popped up in something else.

Darian was never sure whether the lyrics were vintage or new as Van Dyke never said (why didn't he ask!). So he confirmed it later in Priore's book and declared the BWPS verse lyrics to be new.

Cool

Thanks Bill. I can't understand why with the dozens of interview Brian and Van Dyke did for BWPS, the documentary and all of the fan meet and greets that we still don't know if CITFOTM had lyrics in 1966. Is it just that no one remembers?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 09:03:35 PM by Chris Moise » Logged
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 08:29:12 PM »

He did mention that he had never heard the track 'Holidays' until Darian played it for him.

Is this right?  I could be remembering wrong, but I thought he originally played on that track.  I seem to recall Brian giving instructions to him on one of the sessions that's been booted...
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 08:37:17 PM »

I'd say Brian having played on a track in the 60s and not remembering having ever heard it before in the 00s are not mutually exclusive.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 11:04:02 PM »

I think that post is referring to Van Dyke, not Brian.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 01:49:14 AM »

Yeah, Brian does give instructions to Van during the sessions. However, Van's memory at times can be a little bit....unreliable. Secret Beatle listening sessions, anyone?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 03:18:21 AM »

He did mention that he had never heard the track 'Holidays' until Darian played it for him.

Is this right?  I could be remembering wrong, but I thought he originally played on that track.  I seem to recall Brian giving instructions to him on one of the sessions that's been booted...

In the Priore book, he goes on this whole thing about speeding up the Marimbas (which The Beatles had just found out about in their own way, coincedentally) with Gene Estes so you can play 'like a son of a bitch', specifically on Holidays. Which.... doesn't make sense, unless he means the 'whispering winds' section and he's muddling the parts between the original and BWPS

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Bill Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 04:26:35 AM »

Oh sure VDP's memory can be unreliable too but it was a long time ago.  Some things he remembered quite clearly and others he was very vague about or he had no recall whatsoever.  I do recall from that interview (I think) his surprise at Brian's reworking of 'You Are My Sunshine' as 'You Were My Sunshine' with a minor key. That was something he did not remember from Darian's playback of the original sessions.

Let's face it we're never going to know the original verse lyrics for 'Child' were...probably.

I guess I've got a way with girls
Chris Moise
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 09:38:42 AM »

Let's face it we're never going to know the original verse lyrics for 'Child' were...probably.

Damn, what a bummer. The principals are getting up there in age. Someone should sit Van Dyke down one day and pick his brain about this sort of stuff before it is lost to history. Would they have spent as much time tracking CITFOTM and working out the chorus vocals before the verses were written?
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2009, 09:52:02 AM »

Would they have spent as much time tracking CITFOTM and working out the chorus vocals before the verses were written?
Yes, as per Good Vibes ans many other songs where Mike came up with words at the last second! Cool

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2009, 10:53:22 AM »

Unless one of the following turns up...
(1) A long, lost acetate; or
(2) The Oppenheimer reel in which Brian supposedly demo'd the song.

Chris Moise
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2009, 12:10:04 PM »

Unless one of the following turns up...
(1) A long, lost acetate; or
(2) The Oppenheimer reel in which Brian supposedly demo'd the song.

Can someone ask Van Dyke? Maybe Al would remember?
Chris Moise
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2009, 12:30:58 PM »

Do you guys think it is significant that there aren't any illustrations in Frank Holmes' booklet for CITFOTM?
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2009, 12:46:18 PM »

Do you guys think it is significant that there aren't any illustrations in Frank Holmes' booklet for CITFOTM?

No significance at all.  There were no original illustrations for Wonderful and Wind Chimes, and those songs were fully realized with complete lyrics.  Ditto, more or less, for I'm in Great Shape and The Old Master Painter.   
Chris Moise
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2009, 12:56:36 PM »

No significance at all.  There were no original illustrations for Wonderful and Wind Chimes, and those songs were fully realized with complete lyrics.  Ditto, more or less, for I'm in Great Shape and The Old Master Painter.   

Ok, thanks. I hadn't looked at the booklet in years and had forgotten that Wonderful and Wind Chimes didn't have any illustrations.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx