gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680986 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 12, 2024, 05:46:06 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Live Grammy Discussion Thread  (Read 90339 times)
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: February 13, 2012, 05:49:28 PM »

Wow...did I just walk into a sports bar mid NFL game? Is this a Rush message board? I'm waiting for an Yngwie Malmstein reference. If Steve Vai had been there he would have kicked everybody's butt...who gives a rat's nut sack? This isn't the rock and roll olympics...no medals are given out. Anybody who thinks Springteen is supposed to be a technically gifted guitar player and that its somehow noteworthy that McCartney can play a  better solo must have not seen the last several decades of Bruce playing his obligatory Duane Eddy turtle paced five note runs which are all his song's require, while McCartney has given the world some of the tastiest melodic guitar moments in rock history. Was Bruce the favorite going into this knife fight? I think not. Should we remind everyone that Dweezil Zappa can probably play faster and cleaner than Hubert Sumlin? He could smoke him, roll him, toast him...is that important? I bet Bruce could bench more weight than Paul...should we take that into account? Is this a soccer riot or a BB's message board? Bruce can't jam, Paul can...they both have done pretty well with their lives. I doubt they were taking it all that seriously, just having some silly, loose fun. Nothing takes the fun out of a rock and roll party more than a hard a*s keeping score.

Hi Jon;
  Since you called me a hard ass, i'm going to go hard like a motherfucker on you. 

The whole point of it (which I guess you can't comprehend) is I'm asking, pleading "what does bruce DO" who the hell is he?  He opened and closed the show, and he sucks.  Period.  I find out while they're playing "The End" that Bruce Springsteen can't even play guitar right. 

So the whole point is, I'm trying to find out why Jon Stebbins is such a big fan of someone with obviously so little talent. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: February 13, 2012, 05:50:08 PM »

Paul is a better bassist than he is a guitarist.  THATS A FACT.

Paul is a better pianist than he is a guitarist.  

THAT IS A FACT.

Those are opinions.

THAT IS A FACT.

Bruce Springsteen sucks. 

Justin Bieber sucks.  A great deal of music that comes off that "American Idol" program sucks.  Please don't even think about putting Springsteen in that category.  You may dislike his music but lets have a little perspective here.

Justin Bieber can probably play guitar better than Bruce. Just sayin'. 
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: February 13, 2012, 05:51:53 PM »

Bruce's live show bootlegs from the 1970s are amazing.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: February 13, 2012, 05:52:57 PM »

I hate Taylor Swift's little, "Oh my God!  I can't believe they really love me!" act after every standing ovation she gets.  It's old.  You know that you are one of the biggest stars on the face of the planet right now, stop acting surprised by it.  Her music is neither here nor there for me.  I don't like it, but it isn't as cringe worthy as the two performers listed above.

It's so corny and full of sh*t...she's talented but i'm tired of her.

Yeah, it's getting a little old.  I guess it works for her though, she has a straight up LEGION of fans. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: February 13, 2012, 05:54:56 PM »

Granted, Wouldn't It Be Nice is not an easy song to sing, but I was really surprised that guy didn't sing with a little more intensity. Very non-ballsy - kinda boring. Maybe that's his style, like Eddie Vedder or something - no emotion at all. Reminded me of how Christian Love sings.....In contrast to the very good version of Surfer Girl, not that good. Really liked the nJ.C. Penney's vintage Beach Boys striped shirts, though. Gotta get me one of those!

As far as the little blonde girl, Taylor. I don't think she's fake at all - very real in fact. I like the way she sang "God Only Knows" during her California concerts. It's on YouTube. Very nice. I like her.

I think she's very real too, but she goes way out of her way to try to be really appreciative of everything, and it comes off really fake.  She doesn't 'win' very gracefully, she tries to go way over the top with the "OH, I should have NEVER won this, Oh I can't BELIEVE this, I didn't EVER think this would happen THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!" 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: February 13, 2012, 05:56:30 PM »

That;s the thing with the Beach Boys: they just sang, sang out and sang with enthusiasm and heart. They employed little to no vocal technique (other than breathing) and sang with their individual and unique natural voices.

When you try and tackle a Beach Boys song as "a singer" it really never quite comes off unless you make the song your own.

Yeah!  One of my favorite examples is for instance in "God Only Knows", Brian has Mike do his "Bom ba bom ba ba ba, dahh... dahh..." whatever in the bridge.  Completely out of place in such a beautiful song, but it works because Mike's being Mike.  Very natural voices, on every song by all of them. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: February 13, 2012, 06:00:53 PM »

Maroon 5 nailed Surfer Girl...

Are you tone-deaf?

Yeah it was pretty bad, I give them props for even trying it, i sure as hell couldn't sing it.  He stayed with the whole song, it was like Long Beach '82 all over again. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: February 13, 2012, 06:02:36 PM »

If I'm ever at a funeral or stuck on the runway at an airport for 6 hours I may try to listen to 1 song from one of those bootlegs.  Is there a particular one that shows off just why he's "THE BOSS" ? 

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #483 on: February 13, 2012, 06:03:58 PM »

Wow...did I just walk into a sports bar mid NFL game? Is this a Rush message board? I'm waiting for an Yngwie Malmstein reference. If Steve Vai had been there he would have kicked everybody's butt...who gives a rat's nut sack? This isn't the rock and roll olympics...no medals are given out. Anybody who thinks Springteen is supposed to be a technically gifted guitar player and that its somehow noteworthy that McCartney can play a  better solo must have not seen the last several decades of Bruce playing his obligatory Duane Eddy turtle paced five note runs which are all his song's require, while McCartney has given the world some of the tastiest melodic guitar moments in rock history. Was Bruce the favorite going into this knife fight? I think not. Should we remind everyone that Dweezil Zappa can probably play faster and cleaner than Hubert Sumlin? He could smoke him, roll him, toast him...is that important? I bet Bruce could bench more weight than Paul...should we take that into account? Is this a soccer riot or a BB's message board? Bruce can't jam, Paul can...they both have done pretty well with their lives. I doubt they were taking it all that seriously, just having some silly, loose fun. Nothing takes the fun out of a rock and roll party more than a hard a*s keeping score.

Hi Jon;
  Since you called me a hard ass, i'm going to go hard like a motherf*cker on you.  

The whole point of it (which I guess you can't comprehend) is I'm asking, pleading "what does bruce DO" who the hell is he?  He opened and closed the show, and he sucks.  Period.  I find out while they're playing "The End" that Bruce Springsteen can't even play guitar right.  

So the whole point is, I'm trying to find out why Jon Stebbins is such a big fan of someone with obviously so little talent.  

Wish I had an ounce of 'so little talent'. Grin

I thought it was a great show.  Best Grammy show in a long time.
I'm ecstatic that the Beach Boys are all back performing together.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: February 13, 2012, 06:08:25 PM »

Quote from: SMiLE Brian link=topic=12275.msg248111#msstug248111 date=1329184313

If I'm ever at a funeral or stuck on the runway at an airport for 6 hours I may try to listen to 1 song from one of those bootlegs.  Is there a particular one that shows off just why he's "THE BOSS" ? 

He would do phil spector, doo-wop covers, and motown:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hwf2jl04nOg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8MNCH_tWU4&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haswOsMWW_k&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFsulgiAWqI&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwV9dJ2yJMs&feature=related

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: February 13, 2012, 06:11:11 PM »

All I know is I thought Bruce was gonna break into Wild Honey. It sounded like his new song borrowed just a little bit. Smiley

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: February 13, 2012, 06:13:14 PM »

That;s the thing with the Beach Boys: they just sang, sang out and sang with enthusiasm and heart. They employed little to no vocal technique (other than breathing) and sang with their individual and unique natural voices.

When you try and tackle a Beach Boys song as "a singer" it really never quite comes off unless you make the song your own.

Yeah!  One of my favorite examples is for instance in "God Only Knows", Brian has Mike do his "Bom ba bom ba ba ba, dahh... dahh..." whatever in the bridge.  Completely out of place in such a beautiful song, but it works because Mike's being Mike.  Very natural voices, on every song by all of them. 

I know Mike does those parts live sometimes, but it's not him on the recording.....

Right?

OSD ought to love me for this one!
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: February 13, 2012, 07:04:07 PM »

I was with you on many observations on these recent pages, but that last statement...here's a short list of McCartney's lead guitar credits:

Blackbird
Another Girl
Taxman
Fixing A Hole
Good Morning Good Morning
Back In The USSR
Maybe I'm Amazed
Drive My Car
Sgt. Pepper/Pepper Reprise
The End (1st solos of the 3)
Ticket To Ride

That's a pretty hefty resume for any guitarist! Grin All of those were McCartney playing lead.

Let's not forget "Let Me Roll It", the awesome  leads on "It's All Too Much" and the more than just average strummed acoustic parts on "Yesterday" and "I've Just Seen A Face", to name just a few more.   Grin
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: February 13, 2012, 07:14:11 PM »

It was like Long Beach '82 all over again. 

Long Beach '81, Ronnie.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: February 13, 2012, 08:29:14 PM »

I love Long Beach :]
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: February 13, 2012, 08:52:02 PM »

I was hoping that either the Decemberists or Mumford would've beat out the Foos. At least Bon Iver got best new artist. I was surprised that neither the Fleet Foxes or Leslie Feist didn't perform or at least weren't nominated as they both had new albums released within the last few months.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: February 14, 2012, 03:26:07 AM »

I don't think that Maroon 5 has f*cked anything in their lives except that song.

I wonder what the fans of those bands thought. They might be just as mad as some people here: expecting to see your favorite band perform some of their material, but they end up performing on somebody else's tribute. 

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Jaco
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #492 on: February 14, 2012, 03:56:44 AM »

I agree it's just a typical Mike Love line, but my ears say on the original it's Brian (a little bit too loud in the mix). Maybe Mike was no more in studio, just like Carl didn't sing on the tag cause he was tired.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ybvruzd3XE0&t=1m06s
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: February 14, 2012, 07:37:34 AM »

It bugs me how we're apparently not supposed to know it's Jeff basically singing for Brian!

What do you mean, not supposed to know?  Bruce was very visible, standing right out front, as he doubled (tripled maybe) the lead with Brian.  I don't think anyone was trying to hide anything.  Even if Jeff (or whoever) was also singing the part, what is the show's producer supposed to do?  Show Jeff on camera singing lead during the much-hyped Beach Boys reunion?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 07:55:51 AM by LostArt » Logged
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #494 on: February 14, 2012, 07:50:13 AM »

Misc. observation: Anybody else notice Joe Walsh throwing a little James Gang "Walk Away" into the guitar solo extravaganza? 

"Jeff, you care." --BW
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #495 on: February 14, 2012, 07:51:56 AM »

I think she's very real too, but she goes way out of her way to try to be really appreciative of everything, and it comes off really fake.  She doesn't 'win' very gracefully, she tries to go way over the top with the "OH, I should have NEVER won this, Oh I can't BELIEVE this, I didn't EVER think this would happen THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!" 

Consider this: When Taylor Swift was young and going to school, she would sing all the time because she loved to sing and loved music. She was teased by other girls and if I'm remembering correctly what I heard, they'd make fun of her and tell her not to sing. It's good she had the strength to not listen to the jealous or selfish ones around her and pursue what she loved to do. She got her start building up her profile from singing the National Anthem at local sports events and singing country covers to getting a songwriting/publishing deal in her early teens.

So maybe consider that when she wins an award or gets a big ovation for doing something she was teased for and hurt by when she was younger, there was a history behind her reaction and part of her - millions of record sales later - may still be holding some of the feelings she had when she was in school, which amazingly wasn't all that long ago.

(She's also a local girl who grew up in my area, so I admit I've been a fan and a supporter of the local girl who made it big.)

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: February 14, 2012, 07:56:26 AM »

Misc. observation: Anybody else notice Joe Walsh throwing a little James Gang "Walk Away" into the guitar solo extravaganza? 

Yep, caught that.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #497 on: February 14, 2012, 08:00:23 AM »

Yep, caught that.

Walsh also threw in the discordant/angular/'out' phrase that he famously used in the solo he played for Don Henley's "Dirty Laundry". It's a neat guitar phrase, totally out of key, but Walsh makes it work. Skunk Baxter had a similar odd phrase he'd throw in to solos every so often. Must have been the era...

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: February 14, 2012, 08:03:59 AM »

Yep, caught that.

Walsh also threw in the discordant/angular/'out' phrase that he famously used in the solo he played for Don Henley's "Dirty Laundry". It's a neat guitar phrase, totally out of key, but Walsh makes it work. Skunk Baxter had a similar odd phrase he'd throw in to solos every so often. Must have been the era...
Oh yeah, I know what you're talking about! 

"Jeff, you care." --BW
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: February 14, 2012, 08:09:07 AM »

Yep, caught that.

Didn't Jimmy Page also use that lick in The Firm's "Radioactive"?
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx