gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681017 Posts in 27627 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 09:24:26 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: References to SMiLE tracks from period articles, collated and arranged by song  (Read 5823 times)
The_Holy_Bee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2016, 02:29:07 PM »

Hi Guitarfool, when I said 'surprising' I didn't mean to imply that Vosse's two accounts were - either deliberately or accidentally - likely to be inaccurate, or should be held to a higher degree of scrutiny than other accounts. Simply that in a three year window it's quite possible for memories to fade or alter, and yet where both 'Teen Set' and 'Fusion' relate the same incident, the details related in them chime very closely. The recording/mixing of the 'Wind Chimes' tag and the origin of the past-tense 'You Are My Sunshine' spring particularly to mind. (Also, as I wrote above, that the dates given in the 'Teen Set' article in particular, despite its origins as a 'puff piece' for the Capitol mag, prove right on-the-money when cross-referenced with the recorded chronology.) So I think, in fact, we're making the same point here.

I agree it's a shame Vosse hasn't written/said more on the subject, as his two substantive articles provide, for my money, the most in-depth, specific, and yes, consistent accounts of the late '66 period, particularly as regard the writing and recording aspects of SMiLE. (Siegel's article provides a useful larger context, as well as making a case for Brian's emotional and creative state at the time, but in terms of the songs/recording really only goes into any depth on 'Fire' and 'Surf's Up'. Anderle and Williams' is a revealing but comparatively freeform trawl through Anderle's thoughts on his relationship with Brian.)

It's good to excerpt by song, yes, but at the same time I think a reference where the articles are presented verbatim as they appeared may be just as if not more valuable in order to have the original context that anyone can see for reference, especially if these words start getting parsed and pulled out of context as so often has happened.

I might not be understanding you here, but one of the reasons for the collation was to provide a different prism through which to view the differing accounts of the songs and, to an extent, the development of the album. (I could also have done sections on, 'where the project started to falter' and 'Brian's relationship with the Boys/Murray', etc, but I feel these discussions have been a) well-covered on the Board, often with reference to the articles above and b) were less appropriate to apply the 'oral history' approach to than the development and recording of, say, 'Heroes and Villains' or 'Surf's Up'.)

I absolutely concur that a full reading of each article, with the observations presented in context, is crucial - and, in fact, rather assumed that's what LLVS is for, and had been employed as such by many of those here. For those who don't own that tome, all of the articles I extracted and excerpted in the text above from are easily available online, some of them as scans on this very board. Mujan posted some useful links to these pieces early on in this thread, in fact.  

« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 11:39:28 PM by The_Holy_Bee » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2016, 08:09:05 PM »

Well, I'm finally caught up on reading all of this! Great job, The_Holy_Bee, and thank you for all of the time you spent researching and posting this valuable information. I'm a big fan/supporter of anything documented about SMiLE - BACK IN THE DAY - including the infamous handwritten tracklist, Frank Holmes' work, session sheets, and the various magazine articles. Of course you can't take it all as 100% factual, and you have to accept that it underwent changes (the changes were ongoing). But, on some level, it does serve as evidence, and I think it's important to recognize it as such. I guess it's up to each individual just how much. police 
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2016, 01:28:46 AM »

Playing devils  advocate  here... maybe Vosse revisited the earlier piece for the Fusion article ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The_Holy_Bee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2016, 10:13:25 PM »

Playing devils  advocate  here... maybe Vosse revisited the earlier piece for the Fusion article ?

Interesting thought. It would explain why so many specific recollections reoccur in the later piece. He may also have enjoyed giving a little extra 'contextual' information (re: the night at Brian's when he discovered the minor key 'You Are My Sunshine' - 'we were all a little high, I guess') that would not have been appropriate in 1966/7...
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx