gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680897 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 05, 2024, 04:37:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 200 201 202 [203] 204 205 206 207 208 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1413201 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #5050 on: August 16, 2014, 10:37:23 PM »

SAWs performance was its live debut, so likely too shaky.

Rights for IWTS likely prohibitive, as they can be for Happy Birthday.

Have you got the Stone Age boot? Complete show in soundboard quality. Haven't played it in a long time and my memory if that (and the actual night!) aren't good enough to comment on specific performances though I remember thinking SOYL rocked that night.

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5051 on: August 16, 2014, 11:06:20 PM »

SAWs performance was its live debut, so likely too shaky.

Rights for IWTS likely prohibitive, as they can be for Happy Birthday.

Have you got the Stone Age boot? Complete show in soundboard quality. Haven't played it in a long time and my memory if that (and the actual night!) aren't good enough to comment on specific performances though I remember thinking SOYL rocked that night.

Capital Radio stereo broadcast (shortly after the show), before the sweetening.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5052 on: August 16, 2014, 11:35:24 PM »

I had no idea there was a live recording of "Some Of Your Love" out there. I'd love to hear that.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #5053 on: August 17, 2014, 04:48:24 AM »

Let's have a good discussion about Live in Knebworth 1980...

The main issue I'd rather discuss is why the full show wasn't included on the DVD/CD.
Using Eric A's setlist website (http://members.tripod.com/~fun_fun_fun/6-20-80.html), we can see that there were about 7 tunes left off: In My Room, Good Timin', Some of Your Love, I Write the Songs, Catch a Wave, Wouldn't it be Nice, and Santa Ana Winds.

So three were basic concert staples/greatest hits (IMR, CAW, WIBN), 2 were concert staples since Bruce came back (obviously GT with the release of LA & IWTS being that it was a huge hit for Bruce), and the other 2 were then current album tracks on the recent Keepin the Summer Alive album (SOYL & SAW).

So for my money, the reason I think they weren't included is that possibly they weren't as good of performances as the rest of the setlist was...now not having heard the Knebworth concert boot in years, I can only remember that Brian flubbed up part of the lyrics to Good Timin'. I also want to say that In My room and Wouldn't it be Nice weren't vocally very good.

So when Alan Boyd put this great concert package together, he must have thought that those songs weren't up to par with the rest and perhaps he didn't include a few of the KTSA songs to not alienate basic greatest bit fans...assuming if they see too many tunes they don't know, it may turn them off.

I don't know for sure....what do you all think?

Good Timin' from Knebworth (judge for yourself):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtcbfLnRfpo

Interestingly, Carl flubbed the lyrics at the July 4 performance.

According to Alan Boyd, those songs weren't used because the performances weren't as strong and the project had to be contained to a 70-75 minute limit.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #5054 on: August 17, 2014, 08:40:38 AM »

Someone made reference elsewhere to Phil Spector being less than flattering re Good Vibrations.

Does anyone have a quote or more details?
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5055 on: August 17, 2014, 08:44:23 AM »

Someone made reference elsewhere to Phil Spector being less than flattering re Good Vibrations.

It's an EDIT RECORD!!
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5056 on: August 17, 2014, 09:08:11 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYBjOywJwLI

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #5057 on: August 17, 2014, 04:17:55 PM »

Let's have a good discussion about Live in Knebworth 1980...

The main issue I'd rather discuss is why the full show wasn't included on the DVD/CD.
Using Eric A's setlist website (http://members.tripod.com/~fun_fun_fun/6-20-80.html), we can see that there were about 7 tunes left off: In My Room, Good Timin', Some of Your Love, I Write the Songs, Catch a Wave, Wouldn't it be Nice, and Santa Ana Winds.

So three were basic concert staples/greatest hits (IMR, CAW, WIBN), 2 were concert staples since Bruce came back (obviously GT with the release of LA & IWTS being that it was a huge hit for Bruce), and the other 2 were then current album tracks on the recent Keepin the Summer Alive album (SOYL & SAW).

So for my money, the reason I think they weren't included is that possibly they weren't as good of performances as the rest of the setlist was...now not having heard the Knebworth concert boot in years, I can only remember that Brian flubbed up part of the lyrics to Good Timin'. I also want to say that In My room and Wouldn't it be Nice weren't vocally very good.

So when Alan Boyd put this great concert package together, he must have thought that those songs weren't up to par with the rest and perhaps he didn't include a few of the KTSA songs to not alienate basic greatest bit fans...assuming if they see too many tunes they don't know, it may turn them off.

I don't know for sure....what do you all think?

Good Timin' from Knebworth (judge for yourself):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtcbfLnRfpo

Interestingly, Carl flubbed the lyrics at the July 4 performance.

According to Alan Boyd, those songs weren't used because the performances weren't as strong and the project had to be contained to a 70-75 minute limit.
That makes perfect sense about the timing.

About Good Timin, there's that additional part that Brian sings (I like it a lot) where he repeats lines after Carl:
"You need Good Timin
It Takes Good Timin"
But in one of those extra repetitions, Brian accidentally sings "HE needs Good Timin." Ooops!

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Christoph
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5058 on: August 17, 2014, 06:37:27 PM »

I had no idea there was a live recording of "Some Of Your Love" out there. I'd love to hear that.

This is not from Knebworth, but actually the first time they played SOYL live:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_o4f2GdD-I&feature=youtu.be
Hope you like it!  Smiley

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #5059 on: August 18, 2014, 10:01:09 AM »

One of the comments under the clip sums it best:

"Brian Wilson suffers mental issues, indeed....but he's not a psychotic murdering lunatic freak show."

Incidentally, no-one has yet answered the very interesting question that someone posted here earlier: Is there any record of what Van Dyke Parks thought of Smiley Smile?

I for one would love to hear his thoughts... 
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5060 on: August 18, 2014, 08:08:14 PM »

One of the comments under the clip sums it best:

"Brian Wilson suffers mental issues, indeed....but he's not a psychotic murdering lunatic freak show."

Incidentally, no-one has yet answered the very interesting question that someone posted here earlier: Is there any record of what Van Dyke Parks thought of Smiley Smile?

I for one would love to hear his thoughts... 
With the way he talks about Smile these days, I'm not so sure I wanna hear his opinion on it.     😉

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5061 on: August 20, 2014, 11:14:32 AM »

Was H&V lip-synced on any part of the C50 tour?  I was watching the show in Japan and Brian has his mouth closed, yet you still hear his voice. 
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #5062 on: August 20, 2014, 12:06:20 PM »

Was H&V lip-synced on any part of the C50 tour?  I was watching the show in Japan and Brian has his mouth closed, yet you still hear his voice. 
Video evidence please? Or did you mean you were there in 2012? Otherwise I'd say, flat-out, no, no lip-syncing.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5063 on: August 20, 2014, 12:39:44 PM »

No, I was watching the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdUeD2ehz64

Start at 40:20 and it happens around 40:28.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5064 on: August 20, 2014, 05:01:58 PM »

So does anyone know?
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5065 on: August 20, 2014, 05:07:45 PM »

I'm just going to weigh in and say, categorically and definitively that NO vocals were pre-recorded and/or flown in during any of the C50 live shows.

Misterlou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5066 on: August 20, 2014, 05:15:13 PM »

Question that doesn't deserve its own thread: What are the spoken lyrics in the middle of the Smiley Smile version of Wonderful? They are difficult to understand, and I'm not even sure what band member(s) are speaking them, although it sounds like Brian. Anyone?
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5067 on: August 20, 2014, 05:25:54 PM »

I'm just going to weigh in and say, categorically and definitively that NO vocals were pre-recorded and/or flown in during any of the C50 live shows.

He may have said that, but the video says otherwise.
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5068 on: August 20, 2014, 05:48:58 PM »

I believe this was for a TV special. There's always a bit of "fixing" done for television. Yes, as you point out, Brian's mouth is closed yet we can hear his voice. There's no question that they would have had to fly in a vocal from another performance. I highly doubt that was done in the live show. For TV..yeah (whisper it...The Beatles went into the studio and faked a few live cuts to overdub onto the footage of the Shea Stadium concert TV special...but don't tell some Beatles fans that).  
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5069 on: August 20, 2014, 06:07:28 PM »

No it doesn't, what is in the video is an overdub.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 06:18:17 PM by Woodstock » Logged

The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5070 on: August 20, 2014, 06:11:24 PM »

I believe this was for a TV special. There's always a bit of "fixing" done for television. Yes, as you point out, Brian's mouth is closed yet we can hear his voice. There's no question that they would have had to fly in a vocal from another performance. I highly doubt that was done in the live show. For TV..yeah (whisper it...The Beatles went into the studio and faked a few live cuts to overdub onto the footage of the Shea Stadium concert TV special...but don't tell some Beatles fans that).  

Ok, thanks.  That makes sense.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5071 on: August 20, 2014, 07:28:06 PM »

Question that doesn't deserve its own thread: What are the spoken lyrics in the middle of the Smiley Smile version of Wonderful? They are difficult to understand, and I'm not even sure what band member(s) are speaking them, although it sounds like Brian. Anyone?
Scroll down through this page, I think you'll find it:
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,4120.150.html

And honestly, that Definative Vocal Thread (yes, all 40 pages), are REALLY educational for the General Studies Beach Boys Student.   Wink

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5072 on: August 20, 2014, 07:31:11 PM »

Scroll down through this page, I think you'll find it:
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,4120.150.html

And honestly, that Definative Vocal Thread (yes, all 40 pages), are REALLY educational for the General Studies Beach Boys Student.   Wink
From the Wonderful Surfermoon website, here's the spoken words (with the scat/words sung in between):

Everybody should
Wa bobba lee
Just start collecting
Hey bobba reba
Oh yeah
Wa bobba lee
Kept a-comin on
Hey bobba
Just to be a cool guy
Hey bobba
He bobba reba
Don't think you're God
He bobba reba
Vibrations
Go for a ride
Wa bobba lee
Just go for a
He bobba reba
Just keep goin
Wa bobba lee
Said it
Just keep goin'
Hey bobba
All you gotta do is
Hey bobba
Cool it vibrations
He bobba reba
Ah just gotta do it vibrate

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Misterlou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5073 on: August 20, 2014, 08:28:50 PM »

Thanks punkinhead. That clears up a lot of misheard lyrics for me. It's nice to know of that website as well (and the previous thread, which I will get to one of these lazy summer days).
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5074 on: August 22, 2014, 11:57:36 AM »

Who is Will Brison? Seriously?
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 200 201 202 [203] 204 205 206 207 208 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx