gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681041 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 17, 2024, 04:00:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mark Linett Billboard Interview About SMiLE  (Read 70217 times)
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: March 18, 2011, 07:53:57 AM »

Since we now have several threads discussing the meaning and/or subtext of "Vegetables", let me change (return?) the thread with this...

If the new SMiLE SESSIONS set is to stick to only the work done during the months when the album was being actively recorded, should "I Love To Say Dada" be excluded? We know Brian had already scrapped SMiLE, so this track would not have been a part of that album. Along the same lines, suppose Brian informed Derek Taylor in early April about his decision (in order for Taylor to meet his deadline); would the April sessions for "Vegetables" have to be left off the set? Ah, but you say that Brian (or at least Capitol) was still talking about issuing SMiLE after SMILEY SMILE had been released. Okay, but then when do the sessions actually end?

This points out the problems with containing SMiLE to a specific timeline and why that may not be the best way to present it in the new release.

I noticed that someone mentioned an interview appearing in March '67 that stated that Brian was having trouble with one track - "The Elements". Well, then you would think that track would be the one he was actively working on. In fact, apart from "I Love To Say Dada" being worked on for a couple of days two months later (after SMiLE had been announced as "scrapped"), there was no attempt at further work on "The Elements" (and there's little to no evidence that ILTSDD was really intended for "The Elements"). Instead, the track Brian seemed to be having trouble with was "Heroes & Villains" and, after that, "Vegetables". As I noted in another thread, I really think Brian was focusing on just completing a single (first "Heroes & Villains", then "Vegetables") and that active work on the SMiLE album ended in mid-January.

Unless the new set is only going to cover August '66 to January '67, I don't think we should automatically exclude work that continued on songs that were announced for SMiLE after the "official" sessions ended. Ultimately, it is about those songs and they should be as well-represented as possible.

Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: March 18, 2011, 12:01:54 PM »

Along those lines, what do we know about the June 3-7 Vegetables sessions?  AGD's site says that, unlike the subsequent Smiley Smile sessions, which were at the home studio, those early Vegetables sessions were recorded at Sound Recorders and Western.  Were they labeled as Smiley Smile sessions at the time?  Was the With Me Tonight fragment from Hawthorne (which the booklet notes has the same bass line as Vegetables) recorded on one of those days?  Could those sessions possibly be characterized as Smile carryover in the same way that so many try to characterize the DaDa sessions?

No doubt I'll get a couple of very absolutist responses (AGD?) stating that Smile ended on 5/18 and Smiley Smile began on 6/3, and there's no room for debate, and I shouldn't even bring this up.  And maybe that's true.  Or is it?
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: March 18, 2011, 12:28:43 PM »

i don't think we'll hear smiley smile vegetables session stuff, cause i seriously doubt smiley smile wind chimes or wonderful will be in there. 
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: March 18, 2011, 12:41:18 PM »

i don't think we'll hear smiley smile vegetables session stuff, cause i seriously doubt smiley smile wind chimes or wonderful will be in there. 

The slow "I know that you'll feel better ..." from Smiley Smile Vegetables is in BWPS, and Linett said that BWPS is serving as a blueprint.
SMiLEY
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated Ruins Domino

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: March 18, 2011, 12:42:27 PM »

The 'absolute' cut-off date for SMiLE is a very interesting point for me.

Clearly, Brian informed Derek Taylor it was over, and then turned around and proceeded to work on Da Da and who knows what else? Since, Da Da was arguably part of The Elements, it most certainly belongs in the SMiLE session dates, IMO. In fact, I'm not opposed to including dates from way later in the SMiLE sessionography. Can't Wait Too Long and Cool Cool Water are in there as far as I'm concerned -- the key element is whether they were recording at the home studio or not.

These songs, in many peoples opinions, belong in the bonus tracks from Wild Honey, but they sound more at-home with SMiLE, IMO. What really matters is that Brian continued to tinker with SMiLE long after he 'scrapped' it.

Look! Listen! Vibrate! SMiLE!
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: March 18, 2011, 12:45:27 PM »

The slow "I know that you'll feel better ..." from Smiley Smile Vegetables is in BWPS, and Linett said that BWPS is serving as a blueprint.

well that just means it's a map, the tracklist may be similar, it's what goes into each song that'll be interesting.   Thats up in the air till it comes out i guess.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: March 18, 2011, 12:57:46 PM »

When was that bit recorded? I had no idea that wasn't from the SMiLE sessions.
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: March 18, 2011, 01:03:04 PM »

I don't think anyone knows exactly when.  Anyone have opinions, based on the sound of that bit, whether it was likely recorded in the home studio vs. professional studio?
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: March 18, 2011, 01:18:06 PM »

I don't think anyone knows exactly when.  Anyone have opinions, based on the sound of that bit, whether it was likely recorded in the home studio vs. professional studio?

Definitely a professional studio. Brian wasn't getting vocals to sound that good at home!
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 18, 2011, 02:31:27 PM »

Definitely a professional studio. Brian wasn't getting vocals to sound that good at home!

The liner notes (track-by-track)  in the 2-fer booklet (by David Leaf) mention that this last part of Vegetables was a piece of the SMiLE-version.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: March 18, 2011, 02:56:06 PM »

The liner notes (track-by-track)  in the 2-fer booklet (by David Leaf) mention that this last part of Vegetables was a piece of the SMiLE-version.

The very last piece ("I know that you'll feel better" with chimes) is clearly from Smile.  The piece directly before that (the slow "I know that you'll feel better") is not, or at least has never been said to be.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 19, 2011, 08:14:45 AM »

The very last piece ("I know that you'll feel better" with chimes) is clearly from Smile.  The piece directly before that (the slow "I know that you'll feel better") is not, or at least has never been said to be.

It's probably from the Western sessions in June. Technically not SMiLE, right? But still before the band moves to Brian's home studio. The quality of the recording, along with the reverb, indicates a pro studio; the vocals done at Brian's house have a dry, claustrophobic vibe throughout much of SMILEY SMILE (which is why I'm pleased that Mark added some much-needed reverb to the "Heroes & Villains" vocals when doing the stereo mix ten years back).
pobbard
Smiley Smile Associate

My ultimate guilty pleasure

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 19, 2011, 10:19:09 AM »

I don't think we should expect the TSS box to use firm dates for "start" and "end". After all, the PET SOUNDS SESSIONS include "Sloop John B", recorded long before the rest of the album, but exclude other (ultimately) non-PS material recorded in the late summer/fall of 1965. Just because PET SOUNDS hadn't "officially" started recording in July 1965 doesn't mean we'd want to exclude "Sloop John B" sessions from the PSS box (well, maybe some people would, but I think I made my point...).
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 19, 2011, 10:38:38 AM »

It's probably from the Western sessions in June. Technically not SMiLE, right? But still before the band moves to Brian's home studio. The quality of the recording, along with the reverb, indicates a pro studio; the vocals done at Brian's house have a dry, claustrophobic vibe throughout much of SMILEY SMILE (which is why I'm pleased that Mark added some much-needed reverb to the "Heroes & Villains" vocals when doing the stereo mix ten years back).

It is supposed to be from the April sessions, so still Smile proper.  As did the Hawthorne With Me Tonight and a beautiful attempt to remake Wonderful for the third time (on the Sea of Tunes Smiley Smile sessions set).

Personally, I think they should include ALL of the Smiley Smile sessions and outtakes with this release, and include a new stereo remix of the Smiley Smile album from the 8 track tapes.  Because Smile ultimately became Smiley Smile, didn't it?  One problem:  we'd have to add two more CD's to the package.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: March 19, 2011, 10:52:49 AM »

Yeah, it'd be much easier to draw the line after that album.  But eh.  They'll do whatever they're going to do. 
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 19, 2011, 10:54:20 AM »

smiley smile and smile are two different albums so noo.
theCOD
« Reply #291 on: March 19, 2011, 11:20:48 AM »

Haha, I was just thinking it'd be pretty funny if this project got scrapped and we got The Smiley Smile Sessions instead.
OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 19, 2011, 01:50:09 PM »

Haha, I was just thinking it'd be pretty funny if this project got scrapped and we got The Smiley Smile Sessions instead.

I'd love a Smiley Sessions too!
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 19, 2011, 01:51:59 PM »

that would be a bunt instead of a grand slam...

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: March 19, 2011, 01:54:03 PM »

that would be a bunt instead of a grand slam...
I tell ya what'd be cool: a free Grand Slam from Denny's for every box set purchased!
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 19, 2011, 02:37:09 PM »

I don't think we should expect the TSS box to use firm dates for "start" and "end". After all, the PET SOUNDS SESSIONS include "Sloop John B", recorded long before the rest of the album, but exclude other (ultimately) non-PS material recorded in the late summer/fall of 1965. Just because PET SOUNDS hadn't "officially" started recording in July 1965 doesn't mean we'd want to exclude "Sloop John B" sessions from the PSS box (well, maybe some people would, but I think I made my point...).

But in that case SJB was on the album and was on the tracklists for the album but you know whatever they choose to do on TSS will be cool I'm sure.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 19, 2011, 02:49:36 PM »

It is supposed to be from the April sessions, so still Smile proper.  As did the Hawthorne With Me Tonight and a beautiful attempt to remake Wonderful for the third time (on the Sea of Tunes Smiley Smile sessions set).

Personally, I think they should include ALL of the Smiley Smile sessions and outtakes with this release, and include a new stereo remix of the Smiley Smile album from the 8 track tapes.  Because Smile ultimately became Smiley Smile, didn't it?  One problem:  we'd have to add two more CD's to the package.

I'd be happy to know that you're right about the slow "I know that you'll feel better."  What makes you say that it was recorded in April as opposed to June?  I don't remember hearing it on any of the Smile sessions discs, or anywhere other than the Smiley/Hawthorne Vegetables version.

As for the Hawthorne With Me Tonight, I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.  The Hawthorne liner notes say it was recorded in June.  Are you saying that you think it was actually March or April?

On a related note, anyone have thoughts on when Whispering Winds was recorded?  SMile or Smiley Smile?
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 19, 2011, 03:06:13 PM »

I'd be happy to know that you're right about the slow "I know that you'll feel better."  What makes you say that it was recorded in April as opposed to June?  I don't remember hearing it on any of the Smile sessions discs, or anywhere other than the Smiley/Hawthorne Vegetables version.

As for the Hawthorne With Me Tonight, I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.  The Hawthorne liner notes say it was recorded in June.  Are you saying that you think it was actually March or April?

On a related note, anyone have thoughts on when Whispering Winds was recorded?  SMile or Smiley Smile?

OK, to answer part of my own question, the Hawthorne liner notes seem to say that the slow "I know that you'll feel better" was recorded on 3/3/67.  Thoughts on Hawthorne With Me Tonight?  On Whispering Winds?
Boiled Egg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 19, 2011, 04:14:45 PM »

Nearly laughed wine out of my nostrils.  Help yourself to a medal and take the rest of the month off.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: March 19, 2011, 09:07:10 PM »

OK, to answer part of my own question, the Hawthorne liner notes seem to say that the slow "I know that you'll feel better" was recorded on 3/3/67.  Thoughts on Hawthorne With Me Tonight?  On Whispering Winds?
[/quote]

Based on the sound of With Me Tonight, it sounds much more like the April Vegetables sessions than the June sessions that produced the Smiley version.  No hard evidence though.  If you were to insert it into Vegetables, would it fit into the Smiley or Smile version better?  (There was an insert for Vegetables recorded April 6 I believe)

I've never heard anyone suggest that Whispering Winds wasn't recorded during Smiley - and it sounds like it's from that era/studio from the sessions on the Smiley Smile SOT.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx