gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680980 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 11, 2024, 05:17:45 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Alternate Versions  (Read 1604 times)
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 03, 2010, 09:22:10 PM »

I have a pretty small mp3 player, in fact my entire BB collection is more than it could hold. So for some of the albums, I've had to make alternate/edited tacklists. Often times augmenting a single album with the best tracks off a surrounding, weaker album.

Alternate Friends
1. Meant For You
2. Friends
3. Wake the World
4. Be Here in the Mornin'
5. When a Man Needs a Woman
6. Time to Get Alone (Hawthorne version)
7. Busy Doin' Nothing
8. I Went to Sleep
9. Let the Wind Blow
10. Passing By
11. I'd Love Just Once to See You
12. Anna Lee
13. Little Bird
14. Be Still

I often combine Today with Summer Days, or Adult/Child with Love You. Does anyone have any good alternate albums? I like my Alternate Friends more than Pet Sounds and Sunflower.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 11:29:32 AM »

My mp3 is roughly the size of a small brick and could hold half of HMV on it so my alternate versions are a result of personal taste rather than space issues.

As much as I love Pacific Ocean Blue there are 3 songs on it I really don't care for which on my mp3 I have replaced with bonus tracks from the reissue which makes it much stronger. Friday Night has been replaced with Dennis's version of Only With You which is much better than the Holland version (sorry Carl!!). Time and You and I are gone and have been replaced by Tug of Love which I thinks is just amazing and can't understand how it never made the grade back in '77. Finally I have slotted Holy Man between Rainbows and End of the show. With this reshuffle I could listen to this album all day long.

I have also condensed my 15BO's/Love You twofer into a pretty bitchin' single album's worth. I play this one on my headphones when I'm at the gym all the time.

My Party! album has acquired "Ruby Baby" as track number 7

My M.I.U has Our Team replacing Peggy Sue. Winds of Change is now history and I have swapped Matchpoint of our Love and My Diane around which to my ears seems to make the whole final act of the album much stronger.

KTSA is minus that horrid 10 year old hangover from the Sunflower era and I have instead paired Santa Anna Winds with Lookin' Down the Coast. I like to pretend they make a nice sequel to the "California Saga" trilogy from Holland.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 12:25:50 PM by mikes beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 12:05:39 PM »

really? You & I?   It's prolly my fav POB track...love love love that song! never heard someone say they didnt like it...first time for everything i reckon.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 12:15:10 PM »

Yeah just never really got into it. I could still never rate POB anything other than a solid 5 stars but for me, it DOES begin to lag a little around the middle and only pick up again when the title track kicks in.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 06:19:27 PM »

I guess I just really enjoy the horn section on Time and You and I reminds me of a girlfriend I once had, i played it non stop

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 12:26:55 AM »

it's not just that, time and you and i are great.  Time in particular.  My second fav track on the album (after river).

slash i have an iPod soooooooo it's got everything  Grin
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 05:17:52 PM »

My ipod 20/20:

Do It Again
I Can Hear Music
Be With Me
Time to Get Alone (Hawthorne version)
All I Want to Do
Breakaway

Cotton Fields
Old Man River (a capella)
I Went to Sleep
Never Learn Not to Love
We're Together Again
Old Folks at Home/Old Man River
Our Prayer
Cabinessence

Ipod So Tough/Holland:
Marcella
Funky Pretty
Hard Times
Barbara
Mess Of Help
It's a New Day

Sail on Sailor
Only With You (Dennis Pacific Ocean Blue version)
Hold On Dear Brother
Big Sur (Landlocked version)
California Saga (single version)

Ipod Pacific Ocean Blues
River Song
What's Wrong
Moonshine
Pacific Ocean blues
Thoughts of You
Time

Holy Man
You and I