gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681063 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 19, 2024, 03:05:01 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 139 140 141 [142] 143 144 145 146 147 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1416575 times)
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #3525 on: February 13, 2013, 09:20:22 AM »

Nope, they are the same.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3526 on: February 13, 2013, 09:24:06 AM »

Thanks!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3527 on: February 15, 2013, 10:43:16 AM »

AGD's site says Brian contributed to Eric Carmen's She Did It (from Boats Against the Current) and Hey Deannie (from Change of Heart).

In both cases, the useful but by nowhere near infallible website allmusic.com lists Bruce Johnston (arranger, vocals), Joe Chemay (vocals) and Curt Boettcher (vocals), which helps explain the Beach Boys vocal sounds on the tracks, but no Brian. When I listen, I don't hear Brian's voice, anyway.--is he singing or playing keyboards? On She Did It, especially, that sounds like it could be a BW keyboard.

And now I answer my own question, as I just realized there are footnotes at AGD's site--footnotes that point out the BW background vox were either removed or buried. So he contributed, but we don't know whether the contributions made the final tracks.

Just leaving the post here because maybe some of you--like me before today--won't have known these tracks existed anyway, and will want to hear them.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
dwtherealbb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3528 on: February 15, 2013, 10:25:44 PM »

does "Leaving This Town" remind anyone of Billy Joel?
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #3529 on: February 16, 2013, 02:47:44 PM »

Not really but on a note close to this song: Big Sur has always reminded me of Piano Man

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
rogerlancelot
« Reply #3530 on: February 16, 2013, 03:13:51 PM »

The synth solo on the studio version kind of reminds me of early 70's Floyd (Obscured By Clouds in particular). The live version with the organ solo blows me away which is why I prefer that version amongst other reasons. However I cannot make a connection with Billy Joel. My opinion of Billy Joel is that he generally writes using very conventional chord changes (some exceptions apply but not too many) whereas "Leaving This Town" is almost up there with "'Til I Die" in terms of an unusual progression. Maybe it's the slow piano ballad style that makes "Leaving This Town" sound kind of like Billy Joel but I can't see much more in common past that.
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3531 on: February 16, 2013, 03:48:45 PM »

Not really but on a note close to this song: Big Sur has always reminded me of Piano Man
"Tears in the Morning" has always sounded like an Elton John song to me...

Lee
dwtherealbb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3532 on: February 16, 2013, 06:36:10 PM »

The synth solo on the studio version kind of reminds me of early 70's Floyd (Obscured By Clouds in particular). The live version with the organ solo blows me away which is why I prefer that version amongst other reasons. However I cannot make a connection with Billy Joel. My opinion of Billy Joel is that he generally writes using very conventional chord changes (some exceptions apply but not too many) whereas "Leaving This Town" is almost up there with "'Til I Die" in terms of an unusual progression. Maybe it's the slow piano ballad style that makes "Leaving This Town" sound kind of like Billy Joel but I can't see much more in common past that.

well for some reason Ricky's voice (or whoever's singing it) sounds sort of like Billy Joel.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #3533 on: February 17, 2013, 02:23:55 AM »

Gotta love this: surfin' with a bike chain!

“We live in divisive times.”
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #3534 on: February 17, 2013, 07:15:19 AM »

Gotta love this: surfin' with a bike chain!

Is that a younger AGD holding the chain?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #3535 on: February 17, 2013, 07:47:03 AM »

Y'know, the chain might just be attached to a plug, which would explain why all the other boards are heading downhill, fast…

“We live in divisive times.”
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3536 on: February 17, 2013, 07:50:29 AM »

well for some reason Ricky's voice (or whoever's singing it) sounds sort of like Billy Joel.

Funny you mention it, as I've always thought the same thing--not the song as a whole, but to me, literally just during the line "leaving this town for another one." I can imagine Billy Joel doing that part.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3537 on: February 17, 2013, 01:27:46 PM »

so what ever happened with that VDP/Skrillex collab?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3538 on: February 17, 2013, 01:29:48 PM »

Was this really going to happen?
EW!

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #3539 on: February 17, 2013, 05:28:42 PM »

I was just thinking about Orange Crate Art, am I right in saying ALL the voices on that album are Brian's?

Besides that, has Brian/VDP ever sang together on a recording? released and/or unreleased?
I know Van Dyke had a little cameo on A Day in the Life of a Tree, but I honestly just thought Alan J and Jack R were the only ones who sang on it.

Did he sing on Brian's (15 Big Ones era) cut of Come to the Sunshine? But then again, I've read an interview that VDP had no knowledge of Brian ever recording it. Just because he didn't know doesn't mean it didn't happen (I'd think). But if that's the case, I'd say Van Dyke isn't on the recording.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3540 on: February 17, 2013, 05:58:42 PM »

I was just thinking about Orange Crate Art, am I right in saying ALL the voices on that album are Brian's?

Besides that, has Brian/VDP ever sang together on a recording? released and/or unreleased?

I don't have the credits of Orange Crate Art in front of me, but I know that at least Danny Hutton did some backing vocals for it. I don't believe Van Dyke sang on the album though.

I can't think of any recordings where Van Dyke sang with Brian , except for the animal noises on the Barnyard demo and that sort of thing. I imagine it'd be unlikely, as he doesn't really think of himself as a singer. So unless Brian's singing on A Day In The Life Of A Tree (and I think he might be in those barbershop 'bop bop' sections) then I don't think they've ever sung on the same track.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3541 on: February 18, 2013, 09:45:20 AM »

Was this really going to happen?
EW!

It happened. VDP talked about it in an interview some time last year. I guess it just hasn't been released, and maybe won't be.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
G.C
« Reply #3542 on: February 18, 2013, 10:05:04 AM »

Is there any chance that Brian does another Pet Sounds tour?

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3543 on: February 18, 2013, 01:17:47 PM »

Anything's possible, but they said in 2006 that those would be the last ever Pet Sounds shows, and haven't shown much inclination to go back on that.

In general, Brian's tours now seem to fall into two types -- performing whatever his latest album is, and straight greatest-hits shows.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3544 on: February 18, 2013, 01:20:13 PM »

I know this will never ever ever happen, but how cool would a "The Beach Boys present Pet Sounds" mini-tour be?

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #3545 on: February 18, 2013, 01:23:59 PM »

Who cares about Pet Sounds, I want a Love You tour goddamnit! Though I guess they'd be using digital synths if they were to do this, and I'm not sure if that'd capture the sheer power of the original's analogue synths? I honestly don't know, since I don't know anything about synth technology...
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #3546 on: February 18, 2013, 02:12:07 PM »

This is a really cool sampling use of the Mt. Vernon & Fairway theme: "Air Play" by C-Mon & Kypski
TommyPlural
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3547 on: February 19, 2013, 01:38:18 PM »

When did Al take over the live lead vocals on "Sloop John B" from Carl? Vice versa for "Wouldn't It Be Nice."
Sunflowerpet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3548 on: February 21, 2013, 11:09:55 AM »

The Carl lead vocal on "Cabbinessence" was recorded in 1966 or in late 1968?
Heteronym
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3549 on: February 21, 2013, 11:10:31 AM »

What's the best place for me to buy a BB-related book? Mind you, I'm from Brazil, so the choice has to be right as there are no second buys  Grin

I was thinking of buying Catch a Wave: The Rise, Fall, and Redemption of the Beach Boys' Brian Wilson . Would it be a good purchase?

Anyway, I looked it up on Amazon but, damn!, I found that site too messy. Is it reliable, though? If not, what are my other options that would ship the book to South America at a reasonable price?

EDIT: Oh, well, I found Catch a Wave in a brazilian website that sells used books. It'd cost me about 22 dollars plus 2 for shipping. Sounds like a good deal. The same website has that Heroes and Villains book though. Which one is better for someone who is more interested in Brian Wilson particulary?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 11:26:07 AM by Heteronym » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 139 140 141 [142] 143 144 145 146 147 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx