gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681208 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 28, 2024, 08:01:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 107 108 109 [110] 111 112 113 114 115 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1419237 times)
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2725 on: August 17, 2012, 04:21:53 PM »

lookin through the wikipedia bb book, alot of the albums that had early/alternative tracklistings like Landlocked/Adult Child/California Feelin/Winds of Change in the book are no longer listed on the site, that's strange, I wonder why.

As for the Winds of Change album they list, if I remember correctly, it has the exact same tracks of MIU, but it's in different order...so the Warner Bros. record exec's didn't like Winds of Change tracks yet they just changed up the order & title and that was good enough? strange...

Another reason why we need our own. teh wikipedia is full of bullies who dislike information and interesting things. They delete them and fight you over it, even if it's relevant to the page, and bully you over it. lols999

As for Winds Of Change versus MIU, lots of labels are known to change tracklist orders.
That kinda stuff is really fascinating to me, kind of like a lot of the BB albums have tracklistings on the back of the album but they're not in order, like Shut Down Vol.2, KTSA, LoveYou. I was about to say Holland but actually, the way they did it by band member is really unique and I've not seen anything like that quite sense. So what BB albums had a different order before the label changed it? Besides the original Sun Flower/Add Some Music and MIU/Winds of Change/California Feelin.

In the case of some of those albums, the tracks are out of order because there wasn't a planned sequence yet but the label wanted to print up covers.
Capitol did that for a lot of their artists, including on certain occasion, the BBs, Beatles, Peter and Gordon, Bobby Darin etc.

A classic, non-BB related example of this type of label interference was with Swedish band 'Tages'. The label wanted to print up picture sleeves for the next single, but the band hadn't written it yet? They were sitting in a pub and saw a sign for MacBaren ale/beer, so they told the label their latest single was "Miss Macbaren" and wrote the song after the sleeves were printed up!

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2726 on: August 18, 2012, 12:21:44 PM »

I picked up a used Little Deuce Coupe/All Summer Long twofer, and they have I Get Around listed as the last track on Little Deuce Coupe. Am I missing something here, or is this another twofer typo?

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #2727 on: August 18, 2012, 01:17:14 PM »

I picked up a used Little Deuce Coupe/All Summer Long twofer, and they have I Get Around listed as the last track on Little Deuce Coupe. Am I missing something here, or is this another twofer typo?

Twofer Typo

Also, Who sings the 'we got' on Beaches In Mind?

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2728 on: August 18, 2012, 01:36:22 PM »

Twofer Typo

Brian.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #2729 on: August 18, 2012, 01:37:30 PM »

Twofer Typo

Brian.

I thought so, but it sounded too 'well pronounced' to be him...

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2730 on: August 18, 2012, 01:58:42 PM »

Twofer Typo

Brian.

Studio magic!

- Dr. Seuss
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #2731 on: August 18, 2012, 02:32:35 PM »

Twofer Typo

Brian.

Studio magic!

Very True!

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #2732 on: August 18, 2012, 02:42:09 PM »

lookin through the wikipedia bb book, alot of the albums that had early/alternative tracklistings like Landlocked/Adult Child/California Feelin/Winds of Change in the book are no longer listed on the site, that's strange, I wonder why.

As for the Winds of Change album they list, if I remember correctly, it has the exact same tracks of MIU, but it's in different order...so the Warner Bros. record exec's didn't like Winds of Change tracks yet they just changed up the order & title and that was good enough? strange...

Another reason why we need our own. teh wikipedia is full of bullies who dislike information and interesting things. They delete them and fight you over it, even if it's relevant to the page, and bully you over it. lols999

As for Winds Of Change versus MIU, lots of labels are known to change tracklist orders.
That kinda stuff is really fascinating to me, kind of like a lot of the BB albums have tracklistings on the back of the album but they're not in order, like Shut Down Vol.2, KTSA, LoveYou. I was about to say Holland but actually, the way they did it by band member is really unique and I've not seen anything like that quite sense. So what BB albums had a different order before the label changed it? Besides the original Sun Flower/Add Some Music and MIU/Winds of Change/California Feelin.

In the case of some of those albums, the tracks are out of order because there wasn't a planned sequence yet but the label wanted to print up covers.
Capitol did that for a lot of their artists, including on certain occasion, the BBs, Beatles, Peter and Gordon, Bobby Darin etc.

A classic, non-BB related example of this type of label interference was with Swedish band 'Tages'. The label wanted to print up picture sleeves for the next single, but the band hadn't written it yet? They were sitting in a pub and saw a sign for MacBaren ale/beer, so they told the label their latest single was "Miss Macbaren" and wrote the song after the sleeves were printed up!
are there any pics of examples for BB albums?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2733 on: August 18, 2012, 03:02:29 PM »

Twofer Typo

Brian.

No way. That's Jeff. It doesn't sound like Brian at all.

The only place that Brian is audible is on the line "surfers, sand, and the sea" - it's in a couple places in the song - but it sounds like Brian sang it through once and they copied and pasted.

Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2734 on: August 18, 2012, 05:22:40 PM »

Twofer Typo

Brian.

The only place that Brian is audible is on the line "surfers, sand, and the sea" - it's in a couple places in the song - but it sounds like Brian sang it through once and they copied and pasted.

I've seen him do it live, but maybe you're right.

- Dr. Seuss
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2735 on: August 19, 2012, 02:55:46 PM »

Twofer Typo

Brian.

I always thought it was Jeff

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2736 on: August 19, 2012, 05:38:00 PM »

When reading the Midnight's Another Day section of Mark D's 50 Sides BB book, I was reading about the tune: Beatle Man...now I remember reading on this board that it was a precursor to Message Man, is that right? The way I read in the book, the tune of Midnight's Another Day was the original Beatle Man...

And with the lyrics included, I can't remember off hand: "Beatle Man Paul whatcha up to?/Elton boy whatcha got cookin'?"  I tried singing those lyrics in my head with Message Man and it didn't really fit (so that's why I'm so confused) but it did make sense when I sang in with Midnight's Another Day. Anyone else thought about this mystery? (or maybe just a mystery to me?)

~post of the century~
-Mikie

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #2737 on: August 19, 2012, 07:58:50 PM »

"Beatle Man Paul whatcha up to?/Elton boy whatcha got cookin'?" 

What a shame those lyrics were changed.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2738 on: August 20, 2012, 11:49:45 AM »

I was just looking at some notes and seeing that Brian plays a "Roxichord" for Add Some Music to Your Day, what is a Roxichord?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2739 on: August 20, 2012, 11:53:13 AM »

Behold the Rock-Si-Chord!

Nice typewriter blue. I wonder if buying an actual harpsichord was somehow cheaper back then.

I think Sun Ra had one for a while.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 11:54:46 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: August 21, 2012, 09:55:25 AM »

Listening to Revolver (track: Here There & Everywhere) and clearly hearing the influence of Brian's harmony arrangements on Pet Sounds. I wonder what Brian  thought of it when he heard it when it came out. I think it would be cool for The Beach Boys to do a cover of it - or even just Brian and his band...I can imagine it sounding so majestic sung and arranged by Brian.

Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #2741 on: August 21, 2012, 11:16:19 AM »

I recall at some point Brian was covering "She's Leaving Home" (an excellent song) in concert with his own arrangement. I liked what I heard a lot and wish he'd record that in a studio and release it!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: August 21, 2012, 02:14:40 PM »

I recall at some point Brian was covering "She's Leaving Home" (an excellent song) in concert with his own arrangement. I liked what I heard a lot and wish he'd record that in a studio and release it!

Totally! I often pondered what the BB would sound like on THis Boy, Nowhere Man, and Here there and Everywhere. great harmonies!

Brian's take on She's Leaving Home is great! there's a guitar intro that sounds like Getting Better then the rest of the song is more up beat than the original, it sounds like Penny Lane, in a way.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2743 on: August 21, 2012, 07:23:38 PM »

A "musical review" of Love You:

http://www.amazon.com/Beach-Boys-Review-Brilliant-Album/dp/B006GOPUAO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1345602160&s=dmusic&sr=1-5

Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #2744 on: August 22, 2012, 12:57:51 AM »

Was The Girl From New York City ever considered to be a single? Summer Days is among the very few BB albums that begin with a track never released as a single.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 05:37:03 AM by Fall Breaks » Logged

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2745 on: August 22, 2012, 03:33:20 AM »

Does anyone else hear the sharp clicking sounds on the single version of Cotton Fields? Just in the first minute. They're on the GV boxset version and the HAwthorne. Do they drive anybody else mental?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Jaco
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2746 on: August 22, 2012, 06:14:11 AM »

Marcella (known track from In Concert '72-'73)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VObboysPd8M

Marcella / Cal Saga Cal (Live Carnegie Hall 1972)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJyiAwVduiw&feature=BFa&list=ULdnsH21pqDPU

My main question is: who's playing solo guitar on these tracks? And it would also be nice if someone could tell me what type of guitar.
It plays counter melodies that are not on the studio version.
It is also interesting to listen to this different version of Cal Saga. No vocal intro, but the same solo guitar as in Marcella!

(listen to the whole Carnegie Hall concert: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVkfTLlZIX4&feature=bf_next&list=ULE2-vtqRLmNo )
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 06:15:14 AM by Jaco » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2747 on: August 22, 2012, 06:29:04 AM »

I think it's Blondie - you're talking about the slide guitar right?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2748 on: August 22, 2012, 06:50:53 AM »

Is there a fan mix of Heroes & Villains that includes all (or most) available sections? I'd imagine it would be around 10 minutes....

Jaco
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2749 on: August 22, 2012, 07:19:09 AM »

I think it's Blondie - you're talking about the slide guitar right?

Yes. I also thought Blondie, but wasn't sure. It's a great melodic line, and I wished they played it like that in 2012.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 107 108 109 [110] 111 112 113 114 115 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx