gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681063 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 19, 2024, 12:56:51 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 65 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1416561 times)
king of anglia
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: May 31, 2011, 09:19:22 AM »

What are the backing vocal lyrics to "Be True To Your School"? The "ra ra ra ra super bike" ones.
Jason
« Reply #1476 on: May 31, 2011, 09:20:20 AM »

"Rah rah rah rah siss boom bah"
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: June 01, 2011, 07:34:18 AM »

presell 150,000 copies....  Smiley
And how many did they presell?

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
egon spengler
« Reply #1478 on: June 01, 2011, 08:12:25 AM »

Why did they edit the outro to Surfer Moon on the GV box set? On Surfer Girl, there's a 6-bar "ABA" ending, but they pasted an extra 2 bars in the box set to make it AABA.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1479 on: June 01, 2011, 10:29:20 AM »

presell 150,000 copies....  Smiley
And how many did they presell?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: June 01, 2011, 10:13:39 PM »

This isn't really a "general knowledge" question about the group, but just a thought I had. What do you suppose the odds are that this particular recording of this song was the version that influenced Brian to record a version for Adult/Child album? The date seems to be right. Brian would have just been becoming well known with The Beach Boys, and I would assume that Brian would have heard this on the radio quite a bit. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHjq4venrCM

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
MBE
« Reply #1481 on: June 01, 2011, 10:22:47 PM »

It sounds a little like The Man With All The Toys in this version.
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: June 01, 2011, 11:03:38 PM »

Why did they edit the outro to Surfer Moon on the GV box set? On Surfer Girl, there's a 6-bar "ABA" ending, but they pasted an extra 2 bars in the box set to make it AABA.
box set=brian's mono mix
SG cd= chuck's stereo mix

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: June 01, 2011, 11:09:02 PM »

1a. Was "Country pie" recorded in studio by the BB?
(Yes, I know Celebration did it)

1b. If not, why? It was a huge crowd pleaser back then. Thoughts?

2a. Is the American bandstand "Almost summer" w/Brian available somewhere?
I had it once but lost it - they also did "Cruisin" I believe (?)

2b. Did the BB record a studio version?

2c. Is there an instrumental version of "AS" available?

Thx
/B
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: June 01, 2011, 11:21:47 PM »

The American Bandstand appearance can be found on YouTube.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1485 on: June 02, 2011, 12:26:32 AM »

1a. Was "Country pie" recorded in studio by the BB?
(Yes, I know Celebration did it)

1b. If not, why? It was a huge crowd pleaser back then. Thoughts?

2a. Is the American bandstand "Almost summer" w/Brian available somewhere?
I had it once but lost it - they also did "Cruisin" I believe (?)

2b. Did the BB record a studio version?

2c. Is there an instrumental version of "AS" available?

Thx
/B

1a - not that we know of

1b - we're talking Beach Boys here: Dumb Decisions Я Us

2a - YouTube

2b - seemingly not

2c - see 2b

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: June 02, 2011, 04:22:37 AM »

The American Bandstand appearance can be found on YouTube.

sadly, not anymore (unless someone uploads it again). I had it on my channel, until it was blocked a couple of months ago.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: June 02, 2011, 04:37:45 AM »

start a new channel

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: June 02, 2011, 06:42:49 AM »

start a new channel

No time at the moment. Might start one up again when I'm done with moving houses...

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: June 02, 2011, 09:00:54 AM »

box set=brian's mono mix
SG cd= chuck's stereo mix

I've wondered which one was the original ending to the song or I guess, the one Brian intended. The mono version is 2:18 and the stereo version is 2:11. Was the 2:18 mono mix used on the original mono album in '63? I don't have a mono mix of that album to know the difference.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 09:03:14 AM by LetHimRun » Logged
bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: June 02, 2011, 09:47:53 AM »

1b - we're talking Beach Boys here: Dumb Decisions Я Us

You're ever so right!!   Undecided

BTW - thanks for the info!! Smiley

/B
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 11:04:56 AM by bsten » Logged
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: June 02, 2011, 09:51:57 AM »

This isn't really a "general knowledge" question about the group, but just a thought I had. What do you suppose the odds are that this particular recording of this song was the version that influenced Brian to record a version for Adult/Child album? The date seems to be right. Brian would have just been becoming well known with The Beach Boys, and I would assume that Brian would have heard this on the radio quite a bit. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHjq4venrCM
I figured Adult Child was on the brink of releasing, then Donny and Marie release their version of Deep Purple, and then Brian got bad vibes about it, thought someone else might release On Broadway, etc. etc.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1492 on: June 02, 2011, 10:01:57 AM »

I figured Adult Child was on the brink of releasing, then Donny and Marie release their version of Deep Purple, and then Brian got bad vibes about it, thought someone else might release On Broadway, etc. etc.

Adult/Child was presented to Reprise (probably early July 1977), and they apparently rejected it.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: June 02, 2011, 10:44:50 AM »

Understandable really, seeing as it makes Love You look like Rumours....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: June 02, 2011, 11:55:10 AM »

Adult/Child was presented to Reprise (probably early July 1977), and they apparently rejected it.
sorry, i forgot to include a  Grin  or a   Wink

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
egon spengler
« Reply #1495 on: June 02, 2011, 12:29:00 PM »

Is there a complete list somewhere of Smile song recordings and the compilations they appear on? It seems that the bulk of them are on SOT and Secret SMiLE, with the IIGS track on Psychadelic Sounds, IIGS/Barnyard demo on the EH soundtrack, some other H&V bits (the cantina takes, e.g.) on Heroes & Vibrations, and some other odds and ends on Vigotone.  Are there "outtakes" I'm missing if these are the compilations I'm listening to? (not that I'm listening to these, of course. I'm asking for a friend.)

Also, why is it that SOT has so much of what it has, but then is completely missing tunes like Surf's Up and Cabin Essence? I really just don't know the story of how these boots surfaced.

edit: to clarify, i'm not asking for the boots themselves -- just curious which ones have all the SMiLE outtakes, and where they all came from.  police

Anybody have any insight to share on these questions?
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: June 02, 2011, 06:44:38 PM »

Of the "rare" videos listed on www.BeachBoys.com, what are the chances of them getting a legit release?:

(borrowed from beachboys.com)

-The Beach Boys Video Hits/History Arcade Video Labs [DVD-R]; Released 2003
-The Beach Boys Endless Summer: Best Of The Beach Boys Arcade Video Labs Presentation 7172 [DVD-R]; Released 2003
-The Beach Boys 25 Years Together Splender Of Bohemia Presentation 7442 [DVD-R]; Released 2003

And then I'm just gonna throw these items out there, do you suppose they'd ever get released?:
-Any concerts that were televised or officially recorded during any time frame?
-The performance recently found around Decemeber with Barbara Ann, GOK, and O Come All Ye Faithful being performed at a benefit on UK television?
-Any tv show appearences?

Any documentaries like:
-the Our Team/MIU doc
-the documentry shot around KTSA or promo shot around then with a majority of the songs from the album performed in front of an audience (I think it was on HBO and maybe called Goin' Platinum and Goin' to the Beach was demoed)
-performances of that were taped of Light Album material (Here Comes the Night, Good Timin', and a couple others I remember seeing on YourTube
-the doc. shot around later 60s that was on the Endless Harmony doc. (it had parts of Country Air, I Went to Sleep, and Our Prayer in the background); I wanna say it has parts recorded in Europe if not the whole thing.
-Footage shot around Holland era
-the short video of the guys, minus Brian singing Friends accapella
-promos that have been here and there on youtube like videos for: Don't Go Near the Water, Do it Again (the guys goin to the surf shop), Carl riding around on a bike (Little Honda?), Cotton Fields (single) promo, Hot Fun in the Summertime (promovideo), or Smile promo videos?
I'm going to declare this as a no

~post of the century~
-Mikie

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: June 02, 2011, 07:03:42 PM »

It'd only happen as part of a larger doc, and as clips at that

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: June 02, 2011, 07:45:21 PM »

It'd only happen as part of a larger doc, and as clips at that
good call.

I did appreciate what they did on the EH doc. and had videos for special features.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: June 03, 2011, 12:58:44 AM »

Is there a complete list somewhere of Smile song recordings and the compilations they appear on? It seems that the bulk of them are on SOT and Secret SMiLE, with the IIGS track on Psychadelic Sounds, IIGS/Barnyard demo on the EH soundtrack, some other H&V bits (the cantina takes, e.g.) on Heroes & Vibrations, and some other odds and ends on Vigotone.  Are there "outtakes" I'm missing if these are the compilations I'm listening to? (not that I'm listening to these, of course. I'm asking for a friend.)

Also, why is it that SOT has so much of what it has, but then is completely missing tunes like Surf's Up and Cabin Essence? I really just don't know the story of how these boots surfaced.

edit: to clarify, i'm not asking for the boots themselves -- just curious which ones have all the SMiLE outtakes, and where they all came from.  police

Anybody have any insight to share on these questions?

http://smilealbum.tripod.com/smprimer.html

“We live in divisive times.”
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 65 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx