gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681063 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 19, 2024, 04:44:52 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1416595 times)
bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: May 20, 2011, 08:53:43 PM »

Or, you could try the BEST Beach Boys website there is, and look in the media section.  
THIS one, of course.
Kinda amazing that people don't look around here more, before going elsewhere

Ummm you never learn - help is closer than you think...  Wall

And thanks to the poster of that message...!   Grin

« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 08:56:06 PM by bsten » Logged
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: May 24, 2011, 01:04:40 PM »

Of the "rare" videos listed on www.BeachBoys.com, what are the chances of them getting a legit release?:

(borrowed from beachboys.com)

-The Beach Boys Video Hits/History Arcade Video Labs [DVD-R]; Released 2003
-The Beach Boys Endless Summer: Best Of The Beach Boys Arcade Video Labs Presentation 7172 [DVD-R]; Released 2003
-The Beach Boys 25 Years Together Splender Of Bohemia Presentation 7442 [DVD-R]; Released 2003

And then I'm just gonna throw these items out there, do you suppose they'd ever get released?:
-Any concerts that were televised or officially recorded during any time frame?
-The performance recently found around Decemeber with Barbara Ann, GOK, and O Come All Ye Faithful being performed at a benefit on UK television?
-Any tv show appearences?

Any documentaries like:
-the Our Team/MIU doc
-the documentry shot around KTSA or promo shot around then with a majority of the songs from the album performed in front of an audience (I think it was on HBO and maybe called Goin' Platinum and Goin' to the Beach was demoed)
-performances of that were taped of Light Album material (Here Comes the Night, Good Timin', and a couple others I remember seeing on YourTube
-the doc. shot around later 60s that was on the Endless Harmony doc. (it had parts of Country Air, I Went to Sleep, and Our Prayer in the background); I wanna say it has parts recorded in Europe if not the whole thing.
-Footage shot around Holland era
-the short video of the guys, minus Brian singing Friends accapella
-promos that have been here and there on youtube like videos for: Don't Go Near the Water, Do it Again (the guys goin to the surf shop), Carl riding around on a bike (Little Honda?), Cotton Fields (single) promo, Hot Fun in the Summertime (promovideo), or Smile promo videos?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 01:09:13 PM by punkinhead » Logged

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
MrRobinsonsFather
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: May 24, 2011, 05:24:22 PM »

Anyone know of the photos taken during their time in London (think it was around 66 or 67) when they were posing in front of some houses, Mike's wearing a hat and a woman's standing beside him, I also remember there being a photographer by the window.
There's also video footage of this, showing the press gathering around them.
Was this the same day when Carl went shopping in Carnby St and who are those people posing with the boys?
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: May 24, 2011, 05:39:30 PM »

Anyone know of the photos taken during their time in London (think it was around 66 or 67) when they were posing in front of some houses, Mike's wearing a hat and a woman's standing beside him, I also remember there being a photographer by the window.
Was this the same day when Carl went shopping in Carnby St and who are those people posing with the boys?
Isnt the video silent and was released on dvd?
Also, if I'm thinking right, the girl that's with them posing for photos; the camera man was kinda of a perv, zooming in on different part of her body.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: May 24, 2011, 05:46:21 PM »

Definitely released on DVD http://www.amazon.com/Beach-Boys-London-1966/dp/B000EQ5SFC

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1455 on: May 24, 2011, 11:42:01 PM »

EMI offices, Manchester Square.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: May 25, 2011, 08:52:50 AM »

Definitely no sound and wrong cover.....kind of a mysterious item in the Beach Boy merchindise catalog!

~post of the century~
-Mikie

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: May 25, 2011, 11:28:10 AM »

I think it's similar to Dylan's 1966 'home movie' release, in that they were actually recorded with no sound due to the limits of portable cameras....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: May 25, 2011, 03:13:36 PM »

I think it's similar to Dylan's 1966 'home movie' release, in that they were actually recorded with no sound due to the limits of portable cameras....
The soundless version linked above is basically a shoddy modern day copy of the original 1966 film, with added footage, but missing its soundtrack for unexplained reasons. Maybe they could get away with legally marketing the visuals but not the soundtrack. When this film originally aired in the UK it most definitely had sound, narration, and Beach Boys music (not live). I've had a complete copy of it (with sound) for over a decade. This is my entry for the original film in my upcoming Beach Boys FAQ book.

The Beach Boys In London (Filmed in November 1966)
This 30 minute color film directed by Peter Whitehead, and produced by Andrew Loog Oldham’s Immediate company, is a great document of the Beach Boys at the height of their popularity in Britain. The documentary is narrated by Marianne Faithfull and follows Carl, Dennis, Mike Al and Bruce from their arrival at Heathrow Airport to a press reception in London, and ultimately to their much-anticipated concert at the Hammersmith Odeon theatre. It also includes a segment following Al and Dennis as they browse through several antique shops. The soundtrack includes “Good Vibrations” and a few Pet Sounds songs.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 03:18:12 PM by Jon Stebbins » Logged
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: May 25, 2011, 03:17:22 PM »

This is a question that is directed towards anyone who was a "BlueBoarder" around the early 2000's...I was just going throw my physical BB files and found a bunch of reviews I remember being posted on the board back then....I only had the good sense to print out half of em...I think Today!, Summer Days, Party, Smiley, Wild Honey, Friends, 20/20, Sunflower, Surf's up and Holland...does anyone have these saved anywhere? They were rather lengthy reviews and I can't remember for the life of me who wrote them...does this sound familiar at all? The post review every BB album.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: May 25, 2011, 03:24:11 PM »

This is a question that is directed towards anyone who was a "BlueBoarder" around the early 2000's...I was just going throw my physical BB files and found a bunch of reviews I remember being posted on the board back then....I only had the good sense to print out half of em...I think Today!, Summer Days, Party, Smiley, Wild Honey, Friends, 20/20, Sunflower, Surf's up and Holland...does anyone have these saved anywhere? They were rather lengthy reviews and I can't remember for the life of me who wrote them...does this sound familiar at all? The post review every BB album.
Just now found that i have 15 Big Ones through Still Cruisin' and Brian's solo stuff...so I guess I'm missing So Tough and Safari through All Summer Long...I'm beginning to suspect I might have got it from a site after I might have left Blueboard, wasn't there a BrianWilson-fans.com or something like that? Maybe it was on there...anyone post at either place way back when and remember this?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: May 25, 2011, 04:57:48 PM »

The soundless version linked above is basically a shoddy modern day copy of the original 1966 film, with added footage, but missing its soundtrack for unexplained reasons. Maybe they could get away with legally marketing the visuals but not the soundtrack. When this film originally aired in the UK it most definitely had sound, narration, and Beach Boys music (not live). I've had a complete copy of it (with sound) for over a decade. This is my entry for the original film in my upcoming Beach Boys FAQ book.

The Beach Boys In London (Filmed in November 1966)
This 30 minute color film directed by Peter Whitehead, and produced by Andrew Loog Oldham’s Immediate company, is a great document of the Beach Boys at the height of their popularity in Britain. The documentary is narrated by Marianne Faithfull and follows Carl, Dennis, Mike Al and Bruce from their arrival at Heathrow Airport to a press reception in London, and ultimately to their much-anticipated concert at the Hammersmith Odeon theatre. It also includes a segment following Al and Dennis as they browse through several antique shops. The soundtrack includes “Good Vibrations” and a few Pet Sounds songs.

That I didn't know! Thanks, as always, Jon

egon spengler
« Reply #1462 on: May 30, 2011, 06:52:51 AM »

Is there a complete list somewhere of Smile song recordings and the compilations they appear on? It seems that the bulk of them are on SOT and Secret SMiLE, with the IIGS track on Psychadelic Sounds, IIGS/Barnyard demo on the EH soundtrack, some other H&V bits (the cantina takes, e.g.) on Heroes & Vibrations, and some other odds and ends on Vigotone.  Are there "outtakes" I'm missing if these are the compilations I'm listening to? (not that I'm listening to these, of course. I'm asking for a friend.)

Also, why is it that SOT has so much of what it has, but then is completely missing tunes like Surf's Up and Cabin Essence? I really just don't know the story of how these boots surfaced.

edit: to clarify, i'm not asking for the boots themselves -- just curious which ones have all the SMiLE outtakes, and where they all came from.  police
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 12:27:46 PM by egon spengler » Logged
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: May 30, 2011, 07:10:04 PM »

This is more of an opinion question(s):

1. Would 15 Big had benefited as a double album? first disc is 2 sides of oldies (I think all that was recorded then, even the unused stuff like Sea Cruise, On Broadway, Mony Mony, Shake Rattle and Roll, etc. would fit on 2 sides with the other stuff used for 15BO and Come Go with Me/Peggy Sue) and then the 2nd disc is all original material; I think there's enough from 15 Big Ones and pulling material from other sources like some of Denny's work (Raindbows, Pacific Ocean Blues, River Song) and other items we haven't heard but were recorded around that time...and even earlier stuff from the 74 Caribou recordings like Good Timin', Runnin' Bear, and Michael Rode a Boat to Shore...and other stuff intended for 15BO like My Diane, I wanna Pick You Up, or 10,000 Years.  Anyone find this to be the case of a better album?

2. What other albums would have benefited or done better on the charts had the album be a double album?

Thinkin' about the wealth of material recorded around other times of rejected material, Sunflower/Landlocked/Surf's Up all come to mind....combining all those projects for one whole double album could have been amazing, with also including songs that Dennis may have submitted during Surf's Up.

I also think MIU/LA/KTSA could have combined in some way...record songs as they were at MIU but don't sell it yet and keep that same kind of vibe going for more Carl/Denny activity for LA and then everyone's material (released or unreleased) combined around KTSA to make a double album....if including songs from all the BB from those 3 albums, you've got one cohesive piece of work from each member of the band....take the best songs from all 3 of those albums and combine them on a double album, now that could have been the Beach Boys Come-back album.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: May 30, 2011, 07:16:02 PM »

Also, I was thinkin about how Brian felt when they asked him to let them use Surf's Up as the title and ending song...Now I don't know how all this went down, but if the whole Denny fiasco was going on at the same time (if these were the songs he submitted at the time or was recording: 4th of July/Wouldn't it Be Nice to Live again/Lady/I'm Goin' Your Way/It's a New Day), you think Brian would have helped defend his brother to have his songs put on there instead of Brian's song(s)?

You know what I mean? I could see Carl asking for the Surf's  Up tape to use/re-record and Brian refusing and saying, "why don't you use Dennis' material?"  Which I know there was some dispute over Denny's songs being on the album.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: May 30, 2011, 07:23:10 PM »

How was Carry Me Home rejected?
Was it too serious for Holland, an album that was already pretty serious?

The fact it has a Denny vocal and Blondie vocal makes it even more special, it shows the beach boys really working with Blondie and Ricky (though I feel Mike did help the Blondie/Ricky faction out a lot with We Got Love/Leavin' This Town)

Otherwise, in my opinion and I could be wrong, Sail On Sailor, Funky Pretty, Marcella, Carry Me Home, He Come Down, You Need a Mess of Help and maybe Cuddle Up (i'm unsure) are the only songs that I hear Blondie and Ricky (vocally) on of Beach Boys material that isn't written by Blondie/Ricky....having Blondie share a lead with Dennis is an important factor in the BB relationship with Blondie and Ricky in my opinion....
Now instrumentally is a different view in which they would be heard on all kinds of instruments.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: May 30, 2011, 07:30:53 PM »

How was Carry Me Home rejected?
Was it too serious for Holland, an album that was already pretty serious?

The fact it has a Denny vocal and Blondie vocal makes it even more special, it shows the beach boys really working with Blondie and Ricky (though I feel Mike did help the Blondie/Ricky faction out a lot with We Got Love/Leavin' This Town)

Otherwise, in my opinion and I could be wrong, Sail On Sailor, Funky Pretty, Marcella, Carry Me Home, He Come Down, You Need a Mess of Help and maybe Cuddle Up (i'm unsure) are the only songs that I hear Blondie and Ricky (vocally) on of Beach Boys material that isn't written by Blondie/Ricky....having Blondie share a lead with Dennis is an important factor in the BB relationship with Blondie and Ricky in my opinion....
Now instrumentally is a different view in which they would be heard on all kinds of instruments.
And if I didn't list some songs that Blondie/Ricky are clearly on vocally, then perhaps I should listen closer on head phones on my ipod or my vinyl copy...did I leave any songs out you can hear them on (of BB material), not their own which includes: Hold on Dear Brother, Here She Comes, Hard Times, Don't Worry Bill (live with Wonderful) Leaving This Town (BTW, does Mike have a vocal on that?).

Leave me some songs that I need to listen to closer if I missed any of their vocals...and I'm only speaking studio recordings, not live stuff...but if you wanna include some of those songs from the live material (released or unreleased) that Blondie/Ricky have substantial vocals/leads, feel free....I know one would love to include Blondie's lead vocal on Wild Honey, heard on some live rarities.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1467 on: May 31, 2011, 12:48:53 AM »

Also, I was thinkin about how Brian felt when they asked him to let them use Surf's Up as the title and ending song...Now I don't know how all this went down, but if the whole Denny fiasco was going on at the same time (if these were the songs he submitted at the time or was recording: 4th of July/Wouldn't it Be Nice to Live again/Lady/I'm Goin' Your Way/It's a New Day), you think Brian would have helped defend his brother to have his songs put on there instead of Brian's song(s)?

You know what I mean? I could see Carl asking for the Surf's  Up tape to use/re-record and Brian refusing and saying, "why don't you use Dennis' material?"  Which I know there was some dispute over Denny's songs being on the album.

Brian wasn't asked if they could use "Surf's Up" - he was told they were, no arguements, and he was distraught about it.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: May 31, 2011, 04:04:00 AM »

Wasn't the first he heard of it when he overheard the group recording it in the home studio? or is it that too melodramatic to be true...

That definitely was when he emerged to tell them how it ended, though. I just thought they were at the same time.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1469 on: May 31, 2011, 07:32:46 AM »

Wasn't the first he heard of it when he overheard the group recording it in the home studio? or is it that too melodramatic to be true...

That definitely was when he emerged to tell them how it ended, though. I just thought they were at the same time.

Story goes thus: VDP was informed that the band were recording a new album for Reprise and, given that Sunflower wasn't a roaring success, he reportedly opined that "if they include "Surf's Up" and call the album after it, we'd pre-sell 50,000 copies". This filtered back to the band and that's just what they did: reportedly Brian was sitting weeping on a swing in the garden of 10452 begging the others not to include it, to which Dennis responded "f*** you Brian, we need that song". Then as they were doing the tag, he burst into the studio and added a head arrangement.

Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1470 on: May 31, 2011, 08:21:05 AM »

presell 150,000 copies....  Smiley

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: May 31, 2011, 08:40:57 AM »

Story goes thus: VDP was informed that the band were recording a new album for Reprise and, given that Sunflower wasn't a roaring success, he reportedly opined that "if they include "Surf's Up" and call the album after it, we'd pre-sell 50,000 copies". This filtered back to the band and that's just what they did: reportedly Brian was sitting weeping on a swing in the garden of 10452 begging the others not to include it, to which Dennis responded "foder you Brian, we need that song". Then as they were doing the tag, he burst into the studio and added a head arrangement.

That is still pretty melodramatic.... Thanks as always, AGD.

Jason
« Reply #1472 on: May 31, 2011, 08:59:29 AM »

Story goes thus: VDP was informed that the band were recording a new album for Reprise and, given that Sunflower wasn't a roaring success, he reportedly opined that "if they include "Surf's Up" and call the album after it, we'd pre-sell 50,000 copies". This filtered back to the band and that's just what they did: reportedly Brian was sitting weeping on a swing in the garden of 10452 begging the others not to include it, to which Dennis responded "foder you Brian, we need that song". Then as they were doing the tag, he burst into the studio and added a head arrangement.

Christ, I hope the Dennis anecdote doesn't end up on the blueboard or the folks on there will be burning their copies of POB in protest!  LOL
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: May 31, 2011, 09:06:51 AM »

Why would they own copies? Brian's not on it!   Grin

Jason
« Reply #1474 on: May 31, 2011, 09:13:58 AM »

Why would they own copies? Brian's not on it!   Grin

Yeah! And Mike has a co-write!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx