gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680884 Posts in 27618 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 02, 2024, 04:29:57 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 88 89 90 [91] 92 93 94 95 96 ... 104 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Beach Boys 2012 Remasters!  (Read 571720 times)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2250 on: October 10, 2012, 04:11:12 AM »

I think it's really hoffifying that he's using Audacity.

Fixed. Logic, Pro Tools...whatever. Audacity? SERIOUSLY?

Now I get why I've heard fan mixes that sound better than the Smile box...

IIRC the guy who made the stereo extraction for GV was not Mark or Alan, so ease up on the vitriol.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2251 on: October 10, 2012, 04:15:21 AM »

I think it's really hoffifying that he's using Audacity.

Fixed. Logic, Pro Tools...whatever. Audacity? SERIOUSLY?

Now I get why I've heard fan mixes that sound better than the Smile box...

IIRC the guy who made the stereo extraction for GV was not Mark or Alan, so ease up on the vitriol.

Sorry mum.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2252 on: October 10, 2012, 04:31:42 AM »

Now scrub behind your ears!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2253 on: October 10, 2012, 06:05:00 AM »

and if you're going to change my words around, change 'em to actual words!

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #2254 on: October 10, 2012, 08:04:10 AM »

I'm just happy that I never have to listen to pre-Friends Beach Boys in stereo ever again.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2255 on: October 10, 2012, 08:16:24 AM »

Clip of the sound engineer who worked on the GV remix.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyk9GKFasjY

The mix playing in the background is definitely different from what they released. The vocals have more of a stereo spread.

Damn, I need to know what he used to do that.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2256 on: October 10, 2012, 08:23:38 AM »

The mix playing in the background is definitely different from what they released. The vocals have more of a stereo spread.

Curious to see he is using KRK Rockit 5 monitors there, whether that workstation is where he did the remixing for GV of if that's just where he's playing it for the news crew. And I don't know how you'd mix there for a few hours having to crane your neck upwards to see the monitor like that! Probably just for the cameras.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2257 on: October 10, 2012, 08:24:32 AM »

I'm just happy that I never have to listen to pre-Friends Beach Boys in stereo ever again.

Damn straight.

tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2258 on: October 10, 2012, 08:32:54 AM »

Curious to see he is using KRK Rockit 5 monitors there, whether that workstation is where he did the remixing for GV of if that's just where he's playing it for the news crew. And I don't know how you'd mix there for a few hours having to crane your neck upwards to see the monitor like that! Probably just for the cameras.

Yeah! Let's hope he used better monitors than the RP5's for that job Wink

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #2259 on: October 10, 2012, 08:34:04 AM »

Fun Fun Fun into Don't Worry Baby. Just.....holy crap. Then that In The Parkin' Lot intro and the jump to the uptempo verse. Jumpin' Jehosephat JW Clyde on a flaming pogo stick in Tulsa, these cats were incredible. Whew.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #2260 on: October 10, 2012, 08:57:11 AM »

Is it just me or is the 50 Big Ones mix of 'When I Grow Up (to be a Man)' different (and superior) to the stereo mix found on Today!?

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2261 on: October 10, 2012, 09:16:55 AM »

I was never that impressed with them, for my own ears I heard better mixes coming out of Yamaha consumer-grade versions of the NS-10 than those Rockits. But I digress... Cheesy

I think there is something to be said for mixing any similar remix projects on those old, big monitors like they had at Gold Star and Western back in the days when these songs were originally mixed, like those big Altecs and whatnot, just to keep it close to what the original cats were hearing. But then again, only if they're available.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2262 on: October 10, 2012, 09:59:10 AM »

I was never that impressed with them, for my own ears I heard better mixes coming out of Yamaha consumer-grade versions of the NS-10 than those Rockits. But I digress... Cheesy

I think there is something to be said for mixing any similar remix projects on those old, big monitors like they had at Gold Star and Western back in the days when these songs were originally mixed, like those big Altecs and whatnot, just to keep it close to what the original cats were hearing. But then again, only if they're available.

I agree, the Rokit 5's are okay, but nothing more. But they're pretty cheap, I'll give him that. Wink
Actually, Stephen (Desper) and I have been discussing NS10's over at his thread, and I think we came to the conclusion that they're good as cross reference monitors - and that if you can get your mix to sound good on them, it'll sound good anywhere  Cheesy

And I agree in your sentiment about those old classic monitors - it's a neat idea!

chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2263 on: October 10, 2012, 10:06:37 AM »

Chris, what should we be listening for on 50 big ones?  I have it on and it "sounds great," but as a critical listener, what do you think is a standout among the new mixes? clarity of sound, particular instruments, any new parts, substitute vocals or music, etc.?  Have they really made any changes--a new BB voice here and there?  I am afraid of imagining things.

thanks (and I will try to listen closely to the songs too--not lazy, just a bit un-directed)

I'll have another listen soon and take some notes!
grooveblaster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2264 on: October 10, 2012, 10:07:01 AM »

I haven't heard the mix from 50 Big Ones, but on first listen the stereo mixes of When I Grow Up; Dance, Dance, Dance; Please Let Me Wonder; I'm So Young; Kiss Me Baby and She Knows Me previously available on  the US Singles Collection, Hawthorne, Warmth of the Sun and Summer Love Songs sound better to me than the ones on the Today remaster.

Is it just me or is the 50 Big Ones mix of 'When I Grow Up (to be a Man)' different (and superior) to the stereo mix found on Today!?
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2265 on: October 10, 2012, 10:35:15 AM »

Listening to the remasters, the early albums sound so much better in mono.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: October 10, 2012, 01:07:30 PM »

I've seen extraction protocols (also called "spectrum analysis") advertised for Sound Forge and Pro Tools, there are no doubt others.  Originally developed by the mash-up guys like Mark Vidler, the Who Boys and Chris Shaw to do things like paste the Paperback Writer vocals over the Pleasant Valley Sunday music track, among hundreds of others.

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
KokoNO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: October 10, 2012, 01:34:11 PM »

I think this should be the next batch of remasters.....perhaps followed by a boxed set that includes all the releases plus a few bonus discs of remastered non-album tracks.

Surfin' Safari (probably Mono only)
Christmas Album (Mono/Stereo)
Wild Honey (Mono)
Friends (Stereo)
20/20 (Stereo)
Carl and the Passions - "So Tough"
Holland (w/ Fairy Tale Music)
15 Big Ones
Love You
M.I.U Album
L.A. (Light Album)
Keepin' The Summer Alive
The Beach Boys

And that should be it. There isn't enough demand for the live stuff and obscurities like Stack-O-Tracks. Also makes sense to end it with The Beach Boys since that was their final proper album.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: October 10, 2012, 01:38:55 PM »

15 Big Ones
M.I.U Album
L.A. (Light Album)
Keepin' The Summer Alive
The Beach Boys
I'll eat my hat if those albums get a newly remastered 1-CD release...  Wink
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: October 10, 2012, 01:46:15 PM »

I also noticed, had to go to spotify to make sure. That GV in that clip is not the stereo Smiley Smile version. It is imo far superior. Sounded abit more like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUaX52GbjSU&feature=related
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: October 10, 2012, 01:50:56 PM »

15 Big Ones
M.I.U Album
L.A. (Light Album)
Keepin' The Summer Alive
The Beach Boys

Also there's really no need for those. Razz

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: October 10, 2012, 01:53:13 PM »

15 Big Ones
M.I.U Album
L.A. (Light Album)
Keepin' The Summer Alive
The Beach Boys
I'll eat my hat if those albums get a newly remastered 1-CD release...  Wink
I kinda dig all of them, actually.. especially M.I.U. and L.A.. And I got a soft spot for 15 Big Ones, too.  Shrug
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 01:36:44 AM by Lowbacca » Logged
KokoNO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: October 10, 2012, 01:53:54 PM »

I'm in total agreement that there's no need for those albums, actually. Especially if the upcoming box set is comprehensive and covers the highlights from those albums in remastered quality.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: October 10, 2012, 01:57:32 PM »

I disagree. Regardless of the artistic quality, The Beach Boys are one of the greatest bands of all time, and deserve to have their entire catologue out there. If The Beatles and Pink Floyd do, The Beach Boys should. Many lesser groups with even lesser albums have their whole shebang out there, and so should The Beach Boys. Geez, if freakin' Elvis can have all those goofy ass soundtracks he made re-released, The Beach Boys should be afforded the same respect.

And by the way, I think 15 Big Ones and L.A. are pretty sweet.
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: October 10, 2012, 01:57:55 PM »

15 Big Ones
M.I.U Album
L.A. (Light Album)
Keepin' The Summer Alive
The Beach Boys
I kinda dig all of them, actually.. especially M.I.U. and L.A.. And I got a soft spot for 15 Big Ones, too.  Shrug

It's not about digging them or not, it's just not necessary remastering them over again IMO. Like KokoNo said, with highlights from those album on the box, that should be sufficient.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 88 89 90 [91] 92 93 94 95 96 ... 104 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx