gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680994 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 13, 2024, 06:12:57 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Survivor #35 Winner: From There To Back Again  (Read 107717 times)
bluesno1fann
« Reply #225 on: May 20, 2014, 05:04:13 PM »

No surprises to my vote - Spring Vacation.

Also, I love Think About The Days, and I'm spinning out about all the votes for it. I think it's among the best Beach Boys album openers!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 09:12:20 PM by Love Surrounds Me » Logged
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 20, 2014, 05:17:17 PM »

Strange World
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 20, 2014, 07:28:01 PM »

Isn't it time.

The "Isn't it time we get ready and then,  isn't it time we go steady again"  line just kills it for me.

Not my choice this time around, but it does nothing for me; it's like a throwaway number

Isn't It Time is about the only song on the album I actually like. Very catchy number.

Think About The Days gets my vote.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 20, 2014, 07:53:27 PM »

I guess it's the same mix, but the HDCD version sure sounds better.  Why isn't the album HDCD?[/left]

Just guessing, but I think the HDCD thing is at Mark Linett's request/influence. For example, the reissues produced and co-ordinated by Mark (ie, the Capitol era twofers) and BWPS/PSS/TSS are HDCD.  The reissues produced and co-ordinated by Cheryl Pawelski and Paul Atkinson  (Reprise/Caribou stuff) are not (this decision might have been up to Andrew Sandoval and Dan Hersh, who did the digital remastering).

Back to TWGMTR, the main technical influence on the scene seems to have been Joe T  Tongue, so possibly his decision - it was mastered by Bob Ludwig (who mastered BWPS for HDCD), so perhaps Joe decided HDCD unnecessary or he forgot to tick box on the order form.  I repeat, just guessin'.

Umm, Strange World.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 08:08:13 PM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 20, 2014, 08:00:23 PM »

Isn't It Time.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #230 on: May 20, 2014, 08:40:57 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:13:53 PM by zatch » Logged
ThyRavenAscend
Smiley Smile Associate

It is nice.

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 21, 2014, 05:31:35 AM »

Spring Vacation

1 Corinthians 1:18-31
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 21, 2014, 06:55:20 AM »

spring vaca I - SHUN -YA

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Domino
Smiley Smile Associate

Hypnotize me, Van Dyke

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 21, 2014, 08:43:57 AM »

Strange world

Brian on why he loves God Only Knows: "Because Paul McCartney said it was his favourite song"

"New rule: Having anything to do with the creation of a punk rawk version of "All You Need Is Love" (never with the horn part because lol hornz are silly and dumb) gets you the death penalty. No questions, no trial, it's your fault, pick out your coffin." - runnersdialzero
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 21, 2014, 09:01:17 AM »

The title track.

And jeez, I'm surprised to see anyone voting for "Isn't It Time" this early. It sounds fresh, kind of modern (in only good ways) and a little spontaneous in a way that nothing else on the album does and nothing else the band have done in decades does. Despite the nostalgic lyrics, it's probably the only thing on the album that feels like a good, newer band could have done it rather than a reunited band who are pushing 70 and are co-writing their album with other songwriters. Not sure if I stated that as well as I could, but hopefully you get what I mean. Might be my third or fourth favorite from the album.

Anyway, yeah, I vote for the song "That's Why God Made The Radio" which, while I like it, is the exact opposite of what I just described, maybe more so than anything else on the album. That combined with Jeff doubling the entire lead (why???) and a few really iffy lines take it down this far, for me. Again, I do like it, but not as much as most of the other stuff here.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 09:04:21 AM by Please Hurt My Older Brother! » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #235 on: May 21, 2014, 10:15:06 AM »

The title track.

And jeez, I'm surprised to see anyone voting for "Isn't It Time" this early. It sounds fresh, kind of modern (in only good ways) and a little spontaneous in a way that nothing else on the album does and nothing else the band have done in decades does. Despite the nostalgic lyrics, it's probably the only thing on the album that feels like a good, newer band could have done it rather than a reunited band who are pushing 70 and are co-writing their album with other songwriters. Not sure if I stated that as well as I could, but hopefully you get what I mean. Might be my third or fourth favorite from the album.

Anyway, yeah, I vote for the song "That's Why God Made The Radio" which, while I like it, is the exact opposite of what I just described, maybe more so than anything else on the album. That combined with Jeff doubling the entire lead (why???) and a few really iffy lines take it down this far, for me. Again, I do like it, but not as much as most of the other stuff here.

Well put - in particular re Isn't It Time.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 21, 2014, 11:11:16 AM »

Isn't It Time

megaweak track. in concert it was lame and awkward as well.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 21, 2014, 11:17:36 AM »

Isn't It Time

We know, it wasn't a Smile track, so it can't possibly be good. Let's vote all of the tracks down.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #238 on: May 21, 2014, 11:24:00 AM »

Isn't It Time

We know, it wasn't a Smile track, so it can't possibly be good. Let's vote all of the tracks down.

Seriously? For me, it's about the seventh best thing on the album.
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 21, 2014, 11:26:25 AM »

Strange World

Isn't It Time is either my favorite on the album, or damn close to it. I love the vocals. The song sounds intimate and sweet, with instrumentals a lot less heavy-handed than on some of the other tracks.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: May 21, 2014, 11:28:50 AM »

Isn't It Time

Seriously? For me, it's about the seventh best thing on the album.
Not my favorite track either, but it is far from "megaweak". It's a song that works well for both Brian's & Mike's voices and range. It has a pretty catchy chorus with nice vocals from both Al & Bruce.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #241 on: May 21, 2014, 11:35:49 AM »

I don't think it's megaweak, but it's far from my favourite
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 21, 2014, 12:29:52 PM »

Isn't It Time was fun in concert but it's just not a great song in my opinion. it's annoyingly repetitive and by the end, it's just enough already.

the lyric rewrite and re-recording did nothing to improve the song itself. (i'm looking at you Michael Edward)

the title track is a hell of a song. extremely well-written and extremely BRIAN regardless of what some have chosen to believe.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 21, 2014, 12:54:41 PM »

Isn't It Time was fun in concert but it's just not a great song in my opinion. it's annoyingly repetitive and by the end, it's just enough already.

the lyric rewrite and re-recording did nothing to improve the song itself. (i'm looking at you Michael Edward)

the title track is a hell of a song. extremely well-written and extremely BRIAN regardless of what some have chosen to believe.
What you just described can also be said of Help Me Rhonda and number of other songs. Rock is repetitive. The reason that I like it is because of the singing. Everybody does a really nice job with each of their parts, even Jeff. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Nicko1234
« Reply #244 on: May 21, 2014, 01:47:22 PM »

Think About the Days
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 21, 2014, 01:57:41 PM »

Think About the Days
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 21, 2014, 05:08:56 PM »

I really like Isn't It Time. And if any song on the album could have been a hit single (with the right marketing and a bit of luck) it's probably this one. The only reason why I voted for it is because I love those other songs even more.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 07:43:41 PM by shelter » Logged
ThyRavenAscend
Smiley Smile Associate

It is nice.

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 22, 2014, 08:56:16 AM »

I really like Isn't It Time. And if any song on the album could have been a hit single (with the right marketing and a bit of luck) it's probably this one. The only reason why I voted for it is because I love those other songs even more.

The single version they did release was, unfortunately, a step-down from the album-version...

1 Corinthians 1:18-31
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 22, 2014, 08:59:07 AM »

Finally here we are. The final regular round of Beach Boys Survivor. Please remember as we vote to respect other people's opinions. Lets have fun!

That's Why God Made the Radio is the twenty-ninth studio album by American rock band The Beach Boys, released on June 5, 2012 on Capitol. Produced by Brian Wilson, the album was recorded to coincide with the band's 50th anniversary, and is the first to feature original material since the release of Summer in Paradise in 1992.[2] The album is also the first to feature guitarist and backing vocalist David Marks since the release of Little Deuce Coupe in 1963. It is also the first Beach Boys album to be made since the 1998 death of lead guitarist and vocalist Carl Wilson and to feature both David Marks and Bruce Johnston.
Preceded by the single "That's Why God Made the Radio", the album reached number 3 on the Billboard 200 and was their highest charting studio album of new material since 1965, placing them second all-time with longest span of top 10 albums at 49 years (The Beatles would tie that record with On Air – Live at the BBC Volume 2 the following year). Frank Sinatra holds the record at 52 years of top 10 albums.

No Shelter is strong enough to survive the onslaught of votes. (13)

As per the usual, vote off your LEAST FAVORITE track.

Tally will be on May 24th

Think About the Days
That's Why God Made the Radio
Isn't It Time
Strange World
From There to Back Again
Pacific Coast Highway
Summer's Gone

Round#1 - Beaches in Mind May 14
Round#2 - Daybreak Over the Ocean May 16
Round#3 - The Private Life of Bill and Sue May 18
Round#4 - Shelter May 20
Round#5 - Spring Vacation May 22

This round is were it gets tough, my fifth vote has to be...
Think About The Days.  Cry
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 22, 2014, 09:07:32 AM »

Think About The Days
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 20 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx