gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681020 Posts in 27627 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 16, 2024, 07:39:54 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Some early facts and gifts from Smile Sessions  (Read 48535 times)
BiG GRiN
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #250 on: June 08, 2011, 06:04:45 AM »

What about videos in the box set?

Anychance to see more videos filmed during the SMiLE sessions?
The complete clip of "Mrs O'Leary Fire", and others interesting stuff, (filmed by Dennis for example) etc...
Do you think they will add videos never seen before in the box set? I'd love that, just sayin...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #251 on: June 08, 2011, 09:35:52 AM »

The complete clip of "Mrs O'Leary Fire", and others interesting stuff, (filmed by Dennis for example) etc...
Do you think they will add videos never seen before in the box set? I'd love that, just sayin...

No videos/DVDs have been mentioned thus far. As for "the complete clip of "Mrs O'Leary Fire"", if you're referring to the American Band footage, the complete version of that is available on the Pet Sounds 40th anniversary CD/DVD set.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 08, 2011, 09:50:57 AM »

Gotta have 12 of those...but the f****r who did that Hot Shots thing was demented!

NO!!! He wasn't demented at all! In fact, I really appreciated his efforts to compile and press those and also DB for distributing them. I picked up three when they came out - one of my favorite boots at the time.

The one I never saw materialize was the KPUK single. Got the sleeve but no record. Now THAT was demented! What a big teaser that guy was!  Grin

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
BiG GRiN
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #253 on: June 08, 2011, 09:51:21 AM »

No videos/DVDs have been mentioned thus far. As for "the complete clip of "Mrs O'Leary Fire"", if you're referring to the American Band footage, the complete version of that is available on the Pet Sounds 40th anniversary CD/DVD set.

Thank you very much Andrew. I was referring to the video clip made by Caleb Deschanel, with the Boys in the firehouse, and running after the fire truck...
I haven't seen "The Pet Sounds 40th anniversary CD/DVD set" Embarrassed.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #254 on: June 08, 2011, 09:58:17 AM »

Thank you very much Andrew. I was referring to the video clip made by Caleb Deschanel, with the Boys in the firehouse, and running after the fire truck...

The footage you describe was originally part of the 1966 "Good Vibrations" promo film (here), which is on the DVD part of said release. The makers of American Band used it entirely out of context, as it was shot well before "Fire" was recorded.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 10:03:05 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

BiG GRiN
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #255 on: June 08, 2011, 10:11:38 AM »

The footage you describe was originally part of the 1966 "Good Vibrations" promo film (here), which is on the DVD part of said release. The makers of American Band used it entirely out of context, as it was shot well before "Fire" was recorded.

Wow, I didn't know. Thank you for the link. But I'm very confused! Huh
So, if I understand correctly, the footage had nothing to do with 'Fire'? It was shot for "GV" promo film? and not intended at all for "Fire"?
Though, I cannot see a link with "GV", when the link with "Fire" is easy to find?!  Grin
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #256 on: June 08, 2011, 10:28:57 AM »

So, if I understand correctly, the footage had nothing to do with 'Fire'? It was shot for "GV" promo film? and not intended at all for "Fire"?
Though, I cannot see a link with "GV", when the link with "Fire" is easy to find?!  Grin

I remember seeing the 'fire' footage shown on Top Of The Pops in the UK in 1966 when "GV" hit #1... and later, when I was a BB fan and described it, NO-ONE believed me, thus it was a very sweet moment when it was included in the 1985 video-biog, as it gave me the opportunity to say not only "told ya !" but also point out that the footage had nothing to do with "Fire". There's footage from the BB's 1966 visit to London of Dennis & Alan in an antique shop, and when DW finds an old fire helmet he says something like "wow, gonna buy this for Brian, he looooooves fire hats": that would be early November 1966.

BiG GRiN
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #257 on: June 08, 2011, 10:53:04 AM »

I remember seeing the 'fire' footage shown on Top Of The Pops in the UK in 1966 when "GV" hit #1... and later, when I was a BB fan and described it, NO-ONE believed me, thus it was a very sweet moment when it was included in the 1985 video-biog, as it gave me the opportunity to say not only "told ya !" but also point out that the footage had nothing to do with "Fire". There's footage from the BB's 1966 visit to London of Dennis & Alan in an antique shop, and when DW finds an old fire helmet he says something like "wow, gonna buy this for Brian, he looooooves fire hats": that would be early November 1966.

Very interesting. And I wouldn't have believed you, because it is hard to believe! Wink and great to hear the story about Dennis and Alan visiting London and buying a fire helmet for Brian! And a few days/month later, Brian will start working on "Fire"!   funny story. thanks for sharing.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #258 on: June 08, 2011, 11:38:13 AM »

The first time I ever saw the GV firehouse promo was on cable network AMC when they had a summer promotion going called "AM-Pop" around 2001 (can't recall), and they'd run beach films, various Scopitones music shorts, etc. in between full-length beach and music films on Saturday nights.

One of the best packages was something I understand Alan Boyd edited together, and it contained the GV film promo (at that point I too thought it was Fire-related), and a capella bit from Friends in a TV studio, an airline or travel commercial featuring Brian at an organ with the other Boys, and the "Little Honda" film which I assumed for years was "Worms", again from American Band.

It was a mind-blower, and I was finally able to track down a copy of the GV promo and became obsessed with it! All this before the "official" releases of course. That AMC series of clips was incredible for its time - very enjoyable and some rare video clips in high quality. Good stuff.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: June 09, 2011, 12:43:01 AM »

From Big0:

MOJO DUST
Mojo '60s is a 132-page deluxe magazine from the publisher's of Mojo, celebrating the 1960s. The cover story is the Beach Boys' Smile album which EMI/Capitol have promised to release soon. Other stories cover the usual Mojo suspects The Beatles, Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, the diary of a mod girl, The Rolling Stones, the moon landing and more. What's special is the 7-inch single that is an exclusive official Beach Boys single in 'summer' yellow vinyl. Capitol have designed the sleeve and the lacquers were manufactured at Abbey Road. The single features: 'Cabin Essence' bw 'Wonderful'. On newsstands in the UK on or around June 13.

“We live in divisive times.”
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: June 09, 2011, 12:52:42 AM »

which EMI/Capitol have promised to release soon.

..sooner is better than later.  Undecided
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: June 09, 2011, 01:30:10 AM »

From Big0:

MOJO DUST
Mojo '60s is a 132-page deluxe magazine from the publisher's of Mojo, celebrating the 1960s. The cover story is the Beach Boys' Smile album which EMI/Capitol have promised to release soon. Other stories cover the usual Mojo suspects The Beatles, Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, the diary of a mod girl, The Rolling Stones, the moon landing and more. What's special is the 7-inch single that is an exclusive official Beach Boys single in 'summer' yellow vinyl. Capitol have designed the sleeve and the lacquers were manufactured at Abbey Road. The single features: 'Cabin Essence' bw 'Wonderful'. On newsstands in the UK on or around June 13.

Gah!! Even this date is shifting!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 09, 2011, 04:07:31 AM »

At least it's getting closer rather than further away  LOL

Stupid question time, where would us Britishes get a special edition of Mojo.... I don't think my local supermarket will stock the 'special' one. Am in London though, so d'you reckon a big WHSmiths in central will have it?

ack, shall pop into Rough Trade and get it, they have it for pre-order
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 04:10:51 AM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: June 09, 2011, 04:12:18 AM »

Stupid question time, where would us Britishes get a special edition of Mojo.... I don't think my local supermarket will stock the 'special' one. Am in London though, so d'you reckon a big WHSmiths in central will have it?

ack, shall pop into Rough Trade and get it, they have it for pre-order

Yep WH Smiths is always a good bet

Cheers

Richard
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 09, 2011, 04:16:50 AM »

Yeah, was kind of debating the sanity of going all the way into central London to buy a magazine.... But this is the Beach Boys! Sanity doesn't feature Tongue

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 09, 2011, 04:32:05 AM »

Oh yeah! I was thinking the original date was the 12th for some reason, so this is indeed good news. Wonder what the chances of my local Smiths getting this in next week ...

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #266 on: June 09, 2011, 06:02:25 AM »

Yeah, was kind of debating the sanity of going all the way into central London to buy a magazine.... But this is the Beach Boys! Sanity doesn't feature Tongue

Hell, no - I flew to Sacramento to buy Looking Back With Love on the day it was released !  Grin

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 09, 2011, 08:43:30 AM »

Hell, no - I flew to Sacramento to buy Looking Back With Love on the day it was released !  Grin
Andrew, that was almost criminally insane. That was one expensive album for you.  Grin

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Jason
« Reply #268 on: June 09, 2011, 08:55:31 AM »

Better Looking Back With Love than, say, Gettin' In Over My Head! Smiley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #269 on: June 09, 2011, 10:07:22 AM »

Andrew, that was almost criminally insane. That was one expensive album for you.  Grin

Flew from San Francisco.  Grin

And I bought two !

Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: June 09, 2011, 10:37:48 AM »

I tend to think that it was shooting the promo film for "Good Vibrations" that gave Brian the idea to do "Fire"...or else Brian just had firetrucks and helmets on his mind the whole fall of '66.

What I didn't know was that Caleb Deschanel had shot the footage - I wonder if his daughter knew about this or mentioned it to Brian when she interviewed him a few years back.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #271 on: June 09, 2011, 10:59:41 AM »

I tend to think that it was shooting the promo film for "Good Vibrations" that gave Brian the idea to do "Fire"...or else Brian just had firetrucks and helmets on his mind the whole fall of '66.

What I didn't know was that Caleb Deschanel had shot the footage - I wonder if his daughter knew about this or mentioned it to Brian when she interviewed him a few years back.

The photo of Brian and him with a camera filming that promo has been around for years, I'm hoping/guessing someone would have pointed it out!

And in one of the late 90's docs, there was silent footage of Dennis on a firetruck shown from that same promo shoot - and if you recall Dennis isn't really there in the original promo film. Since a lot of the surrounding silent footage came from Dennis' camera, I've wondered where that clip may have come from.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 09, 2011, 01:07:11 PM »

I recently got in touch with Caleb Deschanel, and asked him about that Good Vibrations film.  it turns out he didn't actually shoot that promo....but he did cut the negative!  He was studying at USC at the time, and a call came in asking if one of the students in the film department would be interested in helping out with the post-production.  When fellow student George Lucas turned down the gig, Caleb took it on.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 09, 2011, 01:17:42 PM »

Cool.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #274 on: June 09, 2011, 01:34:36 PM »

I recently got in touch with Caleb Deschanel, and asked him about that Good Vibrations film.  it turns out he didn't actually shoot that promo....but he did cut the negative!  He was studying at USC at the time, and a call came in asking if one of the students in the film department would be interested in helping out with the post-production.  When fellow student George Lucas turned down the gig, Caleb took it on.

Sooo... if he didn't shoot it, and there's no Dennis in shot... is the obvious deduction the correct one ?

And that Lucas guy... he ever amount to anything ?

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx