gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681298 Posts in 27631 Topics by 4081 Members - Latest Member: zappi June 02, 2024, 08:06:24 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 104 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Beach Boys 2012 Remasters!  (Read 574716 times)
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: July 19, 2012, 09:55:16 AM »

Some of the big kids might be able to confirm if tracks from the flat master were used on the WOTS comp

That's a good question, and I would think the answer is no, but I don't have anything to back that up.  I've heard the digital files of the flat transfer and it does sound pretty good.  Of course, putting it, or tracks from it, onto CD will probably see the material get mastered, any way, especially on a comp where you want some coherence between tracks recorded at different times.  The best thing to do would be just to put it out "unmastered."
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: July 19, 2012, 03:16:23 PM »

Good point re the CD mastering, thanks - I tend towards no re the WOTS inclusion based on the release dates- 2007vs 2009 (vinyl)-  pure speculation given I have no idea how long it takes these releases to go from conception to consumption

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: July 19, 2012, 07:35:10 PM »

Good point re the CD mastering, thanks - I tend towards no re the WOTS inclusion based on the release dates- 2007vs 2009 (vinyl)-  pure speculation given I have no idea how long it takes these releases to go from conception to consumption

Well, they had the flat master by March 2006, so probably enough time there.  I still think not, though.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: July 20, 2012, 12:48:02 AM »

Well, they had the flat master by March 2006, so probably enough time there.  I still think not, though.
Did they, now - I did not know that.Thanks again, Sir, appreciate the info.

For the guy who asked the question; here's some goss re SU (from the same thread) - http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,6941.msg121655.html#msg121655

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
obscurereference
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: July 20, 2012, 02:06:20 AM »

For the guy who asked the question; here's some goss re SU (from the same thread) - http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,6941.msg121655.html#msg121655

Thanks very much! I'm pretty sure all the Sunflower & Surf's Up tracks on Warmth of the Sun were new remasters (which would suggest they're using the new sources), but I'll check the liner notes when I get home tonight to be sure.

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: July 20, 2012, 04:02:58 AM »

Am I right in thinking that Mark Linnet discovered some masters of Sunflower & Surf's Up late last decade that were of a lower generation than those used on the previous CD releases (some of which made it onto the 'Warmth of the sun' compilation)? I've been searching but can't find any reference to these anywhere - can someone confirm that this is right?

Anyway, assuming I didn't dream this it would be good to have these two albums available from those sources. I'm also excited to have stereo mixes of mono-only albums. For the others I'd probably wait and see what the reaction is on here. If people are raving about how much better they sound I could probably convince myself to buy those, too!

Have a poke around in the Mark L thread - Sunflower vinyl 180g reissue is from a flat master, mislabelled and missing in the vaults for many a year.

On bus, struggling to paste link

Update - quote from Mark L re Sunflower:  BTW the lp was remastered from the newly discovered original flat master of the album which had been mislabeled in the vault for who knows how long. It is likely that this is the  first time since possibly the album's release 40 years ago that this master was used.

Perhaps someday we'll get to see it on CD.........

From here:http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,8506.msg141776.html#msg141776

Some of the big kids might be able to confirm if tracks from the flat master were used on the WOTS comp

Excuse my ignorance, but does this mean that the Sunflower reissue on vinyl sounds potentially as good as the original release?

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: July 20, 2012, 04:41:43 AM »

Thanks very much! I'm pretty sure all the Sunflower & Surf's Up tracks on Warmth of the Sun were new remasters (which would suggest they're using the new sources), but I'll check the liner notes when I get home tonight to be sure.

This is something I can also answer from personal experience--I picked up a bunch of new WotS masters from Joe Gastwirt's place (but not the source tape.)  Definitely new masters.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: July 20, 2012, 01:36:58 PM »

Excuse my ignorance, but does this mean that the Sunflower reissue on vinyl sounds potentially as good as the original release?

I may have posted this info before, but, no, the 2009 Capitol Sunflower vinyl reissue does not have the same overall sonic balance as the original 1970 US vinyl.  Overall the 2009 reissue vinyl has significantly more bass than the original 1970 vinyl, with the exception of Deirdre and Tears in the Morning which have about the same amount of bass as the original, and Slip on Through, which has slightly less bass.  Got to Know the Woman has less treble.  In some cases the vocals on the 2009 reissue are slightly smoother and less strident than on the original 1970 vinyl.

Through the years the overall sonic balance of Sunflower on vinyl has seen other variations.  For example, by the late 70's US vinyl copies of Sunflower had more treble than the original.  I have a Stateside European release made in Germany with slightly accentuated midrange, and an early 80's CBS/Embassy/Caribou UK copy with more bass and less treble than the original release. 

CD reissues vary as well, with the October 1990 US CD release sounding way too bright, and the July 2000 twofer having great sonic balance, with somewhat less strident treble than the original 1970 vinyl and far less strident high end than the 1990 CD.

wavedancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: July 23, 2012, 04:41:32 AM »

Did I read that the 2012 re issue of Pet Sounds would be HD. If this is so can anyone tell me if I played it on an average cd player
or through an ipod would I notice a lot of difference.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: July 23, 2012, 06:41:10 AM »

Did I read that the 2012 re issue of Pet Sounds would be HD. If this is so can anyone tell me if I played it on an average cd player

I don't know if the CD will be HD but there is a new HD version available (in stereo).
https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=catalogdetail&valbum_code=HX5099931933957

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #510 on: July 23, 2012, 07:34:23 AM »

I don't know if the CD will be HD but there is a new HD version available (in stereo).
https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=catalogdetail&valbum_code=HX5099931933957

Nice!  I really hope they offer more of the Beach Boys in hi-res downloads.  I may check this out...but I wish it was the mono.  I honestly can't see it beating out the MFSL SACD.  Still, a great trend though!

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: July 23, 2012, 07:41:17 AM »

Did a quick search.  This person believes the 24/192 to be upsampled from the 24/96.  I don't know how they know...but HDTracks does have a history of this.  So it never hurts to check.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f14-music-analysis-objective-and-subjective/beach-boys-pet-sounds-192-24-download-hd-tracks-12753/

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #512 on: July 23, 2012, 07:54:06 AM »

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%82%B9%E3%83%9E%E3%82%A4%E3%83%AA%E3%83%BC%E3%83%BB%E3%82%B9%E3%83%9E%E3%82%A4%E3%83%AB-%E3%82%B6%E3%83%BB%E3%83%93%E3%83%BC%E3%83%81%E3%83%BB%E3%83%9C%E3%83%BC%E3%82%A4%E3%82%BA/dp/B008D4QMXE/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1343055191&sr=8-5

They're all there.

GeorgeFellInHisHorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: July 23, 2012, 08:57:19 AM »

Did a quick search.  This person believes the 24/192 to be upsampled from the 24/96.  I don't know how they know...but HDTracks does have a history of this.  So it never hurts to check.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f14-music-analysis-objective-and-subjective/beach-boys-pet-sounds-192-24-download-hd-tracks-12753/

Mark Linett responded, saying

"Wanted to correct the above post. The HD tracks 192/ 24 bit version was not up sampled from 96 k. It is an analog xfr at 192/ 24.

Mark Linett"

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: July 23, 2012, 10:45:02 AM »

I may have posted this info before, but, no, the 2009 Capitol Sunflower vinyl reissue does not have the same overall sonic balance as the original 1970 US vinyl.  Overall the 2009 reissue vinyl has significantly more bass than the original 1970 vinyl, with the exception of Deirdre and Tears in the Morning which have about the same amount of bass as the original, and Slip on Through, which has slightly less bass.  Got to Know the Woman has less treble.  In some cases the vocals on the 2009 reissue are slightly smoother and less strident than on the original 1970 vinyl.

Through the years the overall sonic balance of Sunflower on vinyl has seen other variations.  For example, by the late 70's US vinyl copies of Sunflower had more treble than the original.  I have a Stateside European release made in Germany with slightly accentuated midrange, and an early 80's CBS/Embassy/Caribou UK copy with more bass and less treble than the original release. 

CD reissues vary as well, with the October 1990 US CD release sounding way too bright, and the July 2000 twofer having great sonic balance, with somewhat less strident treble than the original 1970 vinyl and far less strident high end than the 1990 CD.

Hi Custom Machine,

Many thanks for the detailed info.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #515 on: July 23, 2012, 12:22:32 PM »

Exciting, hope they hit the file sharing sites soon

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #516 on: July 23, 2012, 12:29:59 PM »

Mark Linett responded, saying

"Wanted to correct the above post. The HD tracks 192/ 24 bit version was not up sampled from 96 k. It is an analog xfr at 192/ 24.

Mark Linett"

Oh, cool.

Well,...I hope they releases more -- shoot, all the Beach Boys albums in 24/192...or thereabouts.  Seriously...I can't think of a lower cost alternative.  The market may be small, but jeez...I can't imagine it costs a label anything to do this.

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #517 on: July 23, 2012, 12:47:28 PM »

Very subtle, Slim. Grin

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Mark H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #518 on: July 23, 2012, 12:49:51 PM »

Glad these new mixes are coming, mildly peeved by the art design.  That white side strip is too similar to the Beatles reissues but I guess that's what they were going for.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #519 on: July 23, 2012, 12:59:34 PM »

Grin

If we get a remastered box set I'll buy it, I swear  LOL

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #520 on: July 23, 2012, 01:39:30 PM »

More Fun With Bad Japanese Machine Translation, Volume 535

Smiley Smile track listing:

1 .hero and villain
2.veniaminof crater di equitable
3. fall and bray boxes and back-トゥ・ウィン tar
4. seeds go in and hold
5 . Little pad
6 and 7 good and resonance deep inside, and me tonight,
8.wind chimes tiles
9. J. Morton hungry
10 and wonderful
11.whistle-in

There's a weird turn of phrase.

Good and resonance
    deep inside,
and me tonight.

yours sincerely,
J. Morton Hungry
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #521 on: July 23, 2012, 03:28:12 PM »

5 . Little pad

I KNEW there would be a mini iPad! 

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
shmenge7372
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #522 on: July 24, 2012, 07:05:52 AM »

I purchased all but Surfer Girl, Surf's Up, and Sunflower (I plan on picking these up at some point as well) and they are en route.  Estimated delivery is Thursday.  I'll share my thoughts when I give these a listen.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #523 on: July 24, 2012, 07:17:47 AM »

I purchased all but Surfer Girl, Surf's Up, and Sunflower (I plan on picking these up at some point as well) and they are en route.  Estimated delivery is Thursday.  I'll share my thoughts when I give these a listen.

Phew!  Love to know what they've done with GVs on stereo Smiley… but I reckon I'm in the minority on that one…  Grin

ALso curious to know if there're any hints in the ;liner notes about future releases in the series (if indeed there are to be any).

Many thanks for being the herald!

“We live in divisive times.”
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #524 on: July 24, 2012, 07:27:53 AM »

I almost bought two or three of these, I have some amazon gift cards but apparently they're only applicable to amazon.com and not the international affiliates. 33 dollars an album is just so expensive, why is the exchange rate so skewed?

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 104 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx