gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680959 Posts in 27623 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 10, 2024, 04:53:16 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1065655 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #875 on: March 22, 2012, 09:54:26 AM »

Hmmm... never seen a cookalorus that shape...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #876 on: March 22, 2012, 10:29:51 AM »

I believe Al said in a recent interview that they were making a video for the U.S. government that features the song.

I heard that too. So it doesn't mean that DFTS will be on the new album and therefor this picture might not be from an actual album session (although - to use Mike's expressions - it would make a lot of sense to record while being in a recording studio).

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
ArchStanton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #877 on: March 22, 2012, 11:41:09 AM »

Ah, but of course!

It does worry me that the session is for Don't Fight The Sea. Regardless of whether it's any good or not (hint: I think it's dull and stayed in the can for a very good reason) but it's an actual bonafide track on Al's solo album. Waves Of Love was slated as a bonus, and you'd be able to just not put it on the reissue of Al's solo record. But this will come out on both! That's just terrible business, even for The Beach Boys.

I hear ya, but anyone that will buy Al Jardine's record will buy the Beach Boys one.  I can't imagine a bunch of people buying the Jardine album and passing the Beach Boys reunion.  Just my opinion.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #878 on: March 22, 2012, 11:53:37 AM »

"Don't Fight the Sea" has, for whatever reason, been marketed and framed in some interesting ways in the past. It was a Beach Boys recording, but then Al used it for his solo album even though it has more Beach Boys singing on it than some tracks that have been released under the "Beach Boys" name. Then he put it on a charity single with a Beach Boys track on the flip side, but with "Don't Fight the Sea" credited to all of the individual Beach Boys' names rather than the group. So now the Beach Boys are adding to a video for the song, but it's technically the reunited Beach Boys doing a video for an Al Jardine solo track, sort of.

As for putting either or both Al solo tracks on the BB album, it only makes a difference to those of us who simply want more completely "new" songs. It's not really bad marketing in the sense that casual fans that buy the new BB album won't be familiar with Al's solo album, so they won't know or care; and anybody that's a big enough fan to buy Al's solo album will of course buy the BB album. Including "Don't Fight the Sea" or "Waves of Love" will not hurt sales. If anything, it's possible that "Don't Fight the Sea" (or "Waves of Love") might be stronger than some of the other stuff on the album. We just don't know yet.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #879 on: March 22, 2012, 11:58:00 AM »

I acknowledge Hey Jude's comments; no need for debate; he correctly associates DFTS with the imagery and themes of the larger corpus.  I am bothered mostly by the "polar bear verse," which is a bit OTT, no? I agree that the main reason the song ought not to be on the album is our thirst for new material and no retreading.

I will never debate to seek victory on a message board; rather, I enjoy learning and being informed.  

I wonder if the available information so far indicates the existence, or the proposed existence, of a Wilson-Love composition (as opposed to Mike's adding a few lyrics to an already written song).

thank you.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #880 on: March 22, 2012, 12:43:10 PM »

So that's Matt Jardine at a reunion vocal session? Cool beans.

It's not a reunion vocal session.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #881 on: March 22, 2012, 12:55:07 PM »

I have just joined this board.  I have read all the posts and am comforted to know that i am not alone in waiting in anxious care about the album.  May I summarize some hopes and, perhaps, provide a focused platform for future information:

1. Are the BB playing instruments, such as on Sunflower and 20 other albums, or are ALL the tracks pre-done, with the BB only adding vocals?

No idea. David Marks is adding guitar parts, at the very least. Substantial tracking preceded the vocal sessions, but there could well be additional tracking done.

2. DIA is obviously a different category because we see already how it was produced: only David playing.

Although not on the original track. His parts were added later.

3. Are Mike and Brian writing new songs together ex nihil? Or is Mike adding lyrics to already written songs?

A good question. No definitive answer yet.

4. Will David's song make the album?

A good question. No definitive answer yet.

5. Any writing by Bruce and Al?

Probyn has suggested that Bruce was working on a song. And Al has mentioned that "Waves of Love," which he co-wrote in the mid-90s, might be on the record. But we do not know any of this definitively.

6. Will TWGMR come out as a "single,"  whatever that means in the modern world?

No idea. Although it's the only tune people have really highlighted so far.

7. Will they do the late-nite TV shows to promote the new album?

No idea. But it would seem like a good idea. Depends on where they would be during the tour, I suspect. They seem to be in the NY area during the first half of May, so it might make sense to do it then.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #882 on: March 22, 2012, 01:04:50 PM »

"I went out in a boat, that was gently afloat"…

To my ears, possibly one of the the worst lyrical openings to a song, ever, reminds me of the Duck in the Truck kids' book.  Was it being steered by a goat, I wonder?

“We live in divisive times.”
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #883 on: March 22, 2012, 01:46:37 PM »

"I went out in a boat, that was gently afloat"…

To my ears, possibly one of the the worst lyrical openings to a song, ever, reminds me of the Duck in the Truck kids' book.  Was it being steered by a goat, I wonder?

Not a shining example of exemplary lyrical composition I suppose, but I’m always wary of singling something about as among the worst ever, of anything. It’s been awhile since a Beach Boys product had a lot of great lyrics going on. I could start running through BB and solo song openings, and probably find some stuff that’s more cringe-worthy. Certainly, stuff like some of the “Love You” lyrics are among the most embarrassing. But for some fans stuff like that is okay because it’s Brian being eccentric and different and innocent.

I’ve never felt like “Don’t Fight the Sea” is A-level BB material, but it’s well above average for the group (or solo variations) both musically and lyrically. Take away the novelty of it being a sort-of “new” BB song, and I still feel it’s better than most of their output since probably “LA (Light Album).”

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #884 on: March 22, 2012, 03:00:40 PM »

Certainly, stuff like some of the “Love You” lyrics are among the most embarrassing.

Love You lyrics are genius. I will fist fight anyone who disagrees
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #885 on: March 22, 2012, 03:23:19 PM »

Certainly, stuff like some of the “Love You” lyrics are among the most embarrassing.

Love You lyrics are genius. I will fist fight anyone who disagrees

Exactly; I know a lot of fans love that album immensely. I quite like it myself. I don't even need to cite the obvious examples, but to *some*, there are some dire lyrics on that album.

anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #886 on: March 22, 2012, 04:46:32 PM »

Lyrically, I dislike stuff like Don't Go Near the Water and Take a Load off Your Feet way more than anything on Love You.  I'll take mere awkwardness over trying-too-hard preachiness any day.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #887 on: March 23, 2012, 10:07:59 AM »

A new EP ?  Cheesy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtaESOeLmRg&feature=related

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
KokoNO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #888 on: March 23, 2012, 11:02:03 AM »

I just want The Beach Boys to be known for rocking again. The Smile Sessions was a huge disappointment and didn't have enough guitar-ness to be awesome. I can't wait for this new album to come out and completely tower over the release of the material from that ill-begotten era. I just get the feeling that this new studio effort is what everyone will be talking about for the next ten years instead of Smile.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #889 on: March 23, 2012, 11:58:22 AM »

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #890 on: March 23, 2012, 12:15:36 PM »

I just want The Beach Boys to be known for rocking again. The Smile Sessions was a huge disappointment and didn't have enough guitar-ness to be awesome. I can't wait for this new album to come out and completely tower over the release of the material from that ill-begotten era. I just get the feeling that this new studio effort is what everyone will be talking about for the next ten years instead of Smile.

(Justin staring blankly)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #891 on: March 23, 2012, 12:17:15 PM »

No

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #892 on: March 23, 2012, 12:51:56 PM »

From facebook:

- Jack Rieley
Wilson Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #893 on: March 23, 2012, 01:11:11 PM »

I hope it is. I agree a change of pace would be nice. Smile has been done, let's move on.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #894 on: March 23, 2012, 04:33:17 PM »

brian saying the album is mellow is probably the best news we good have.  They're older gents, they don't rock very well anyway.
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #895 on: March 23, 2012, 05:14:41 PM »

Rolling Stone today quoting Glen Frey saying the band has re-thought calling the next tour their 40th Anniversary Tour because it reminds fans of just how old The Eagles are.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #896 on: March 23, 2012, 09:24:30 PM »

From facebook:

Ah, cool pic

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #897 on: March 24, 2012, 03:17:36 AM »

Sadly, I don't have time to read all of this thread, though great news about a new album!

Could all 35 pages be summed up in a single, knowledgeable, paragraph?

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #898 on: March 24, 2012, 03:38:38 AM »

Suite like, apparently
Brian says mellow
Probyn says 'eighties'
Al says Pet Sounds
Thomas is 'executive producing', which implies he's not actually producing.
We may or may not have a track from Al's solo record on it - either Don't Fight The Sea or Waves of Love
Mike has mentioned he might write a song with David.
Brian has been writing with Jeff and Thomas, and maybe Mike.
Mertens is doing string arrangements, Probyn has done a bunch of horn stuff.
We have seen a bunch of photos with Brian's band doing stuff in the studio. Wirestone, however, believes Thomas is bringing in his own musicians. Hopefully the cast for DIA is indicative.
The only new song that they've mentioned, 'That's Why God Invented The Radio' is supposed to be the best thing since peanut butter kitkats.

Think that's all the information thus far. Where's the coffee at?  Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #899 on: March 24, 2012, 04:00:34 AM »

mmm, peanut butter kitkats...

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to: