gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680894 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 04, 2024, 08:29:04 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Official thread for Brian & Al's Official Response to Mike/Bruce Band Tour in the LA Times  (Read 97719 times)
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: October 09, 2012, 10:50:10 AM »

The media wouldn't be remotely interested if The Beach Boys weren't deeply, publicly dysfunctional and soap opera entertaining when squabbling. It's not like Mike n' Brian haven't given them a lot to write about for decades.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #101 on: October 09, 2012, 10:50:45 AM »

Jardine started stirring it on his facebook page before the tour was even over.

Then Brian's management demanded Mike put out a press statement.

Now the media is reporting Brian and Al were fired, etc.

None of this had to go public. It's Al/Brian's fault for acting like they were stunned when every single one of us knew Mike had his own dates booked.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: October 09, 2012, 10:52:00 AM »

Yeah, but where was David Marks during all this? He claims he was eating a grapefruit. Was he REALLY, tho? His oily whispers between the various camps are what's responsible. His final revenge on Murry: DESTROY THE BEACH BOYS FOREVER.
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 09, 2012, 10:52:25 AM »

What I'm guessing here is that Brian and Al may know what's really up in the new year. They may know that Mike wants to revert to status quo from this point on, and making an issue of it now is their best plan to force a change of plans.

Just a hunch on my part, since yeah...there's no point to any BEEG shows now in Wrigley or MSG, unless you're talking a NYC new year's gala. It's probably next year offers, and Mike's silence on the matter is making the principals slightly nervous. I'm betting Brian and Al know more than they're letting on...

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Nicko1234
« Reply #104 on: October 09, 2012, 10:54:54 AM »

What I'm guessing here is that Brian and Al may know what's really up in the new year. They may know that Mike wants to revert to status quo from this point on, and making an issue of it now is their best plan to force a change of plans.

Just a hunch on my part, since yeah...there's no point to any BEEG shows now in Wrigley or MSG, unless you're talking a NYC new year's gala. It's probably next year offers, and Mike's silence on the matter is making the principals slightly nervous. I'm betting Brian and Al know more than they're letting on...

The very best way to force a change of plans would be while voting on the rights for the name though I suppose...
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: October 09, 2012, 10:57:34 AM »

Yeah, what's an alpha male's reaction to that, tho? That would probably make him even more prickly and resentful and not willing to do it, tho. Maybe press nudging and waves of talk about it is the way to go at this stage. Then you proceed to casually mentioning things in Rancho Santa Fe have a habit of being set on fire.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 11:02:15 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 09, 2012, 11:00:40 AM »

I think it's as much about preserving identity and sharing the spotlight, as much as sharing the spotlight would sacrifice some of that identity and "The Beach Boys" member identity becomes something other than what was advertised for the past several years when that spotlight is passed around.

Using the VFW bingo versus White House dinner invite scenario, what if the person calling the bingo was the superstar of that event and got all the attention, versus being one of a hundred nameless and insignificant guests hustled in and out of the banquet room at a state dinner? Some personality types would seek the attention and notoriety of being the big fish in the smaller pond versus the more outward significance of the larger event.

That's ludicrous. As if Mike Love had nothing to do during the reunion shows!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 09, 2012, 11:01:06 AM »

What an amazing answer, he speaks for lots of fans! hope it'll make things change somehow.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 09, 2012, 11:02:22 AM »

Yeah, what's an alpha male's reaction to that, tho? That would probably make him even more prickly and resentful and not willing to do it, tho. Maybe press nudging and waves of talk about it is the way to go at this stage.

You couldn't be more wrong. That's exactly what Al and Brian have been doing. How's that working out for 'em?

Nicko's right. If Brian and Al want results, settle it with a meeting/vote. Threaten Mike with taking the license away. If they can. If they have grounds. Hit him where it hurts, in the pocketbook. Right?
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: October 09, 2012, 11:04:01 AM »

Sorry, I don't have your experience negotiating with Mike Love and thought he wouldn't take too kindly to that line of direct attack on his livelihood. Certainly it could escalate to that. Should be interesting seeing what happens, huh?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 11:05:26 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
BB Universe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 09, 2012, 11:07:15 AM »

Voting on the rights to the name etc. is a non-starter if the license already granted is for a definite term that has not yet expired.
From reading ML's article, it seems that there were agreements negotiated and signed regarding the Tour - obviously.
The approach going forward will be to again negotiate the business deal between all involved on whatever basis they all find commonality once again.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: October 09, 2012, 11:07:37 AM »

I think it's as much about preserving identity and sharing the spotlight, as much as sharing the spotlight would sacrifice some of that identity and "The Beach Boys" member identity becomes something other than what was advertised for the past several years when that spotlight is passed around.

Using the VFW bingo versus White House dinner invite scenario, what if the person calling the bingo was the superstar of that event and got all the attention, versus being one of a hundred nameless and insignificant guests hustled in and out of the banquet room at a state dinner? Some personality types would seek the attention and notoriety of being the big fish in the smaller pond versus the more outward significance of the larger event.

Far from ludicrous. It's just as relevant a thought as those suggesting Mike was living up to some kind of blue-collar workman's ethic by doing these shows. I never bought into that working man crap when Springsteen would project that mythology by walking around his stadiums busting ticket scalpers with the cops, so I also don't buy that Mike's rationale is mostly based around him busting his ass to earn a living and give people work.

If it's not that obvious on the surface, consider that it ain't all about the money.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 09, 2012, 11:09:02 AM »

Also, it seems apparent that Mike went overboard with his press release. According to the article, Mike was only asked to send out releases in the cities where where the band was playing, instead he releases to the press his side of the debate and that he didn't fire Brian. So, Brian addressing Mike's press release is fair. Actually, I am happy to see this happen, thought it would happen. It seems there isn't a whole lot of difference between being fired and feeling fired.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 09, 2012, 11:09:49 AM »

Thought we needed something beautiful in the midst of all this ugliness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y-0nWVdBH4

Carry on.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 09, 2012, 11:14:19 AM »

Voting on the rights to the name etc. is a non-starter if the license already granted is for a definite term that has not yet expired.

Point taken. But, obviously not knowing the terms of the license - and totally speculating Cheesy - maybe there is some vote that has to be taken when adding or subtracting certain members of The Beach Boys' touring band. Granted, there probably isn't, and Mike might be able to pick and choose who he wants with no consequence, but there might be some technicality regarding Al and Brian wanting to "participate" that might require a vote, you know, like an amendment to the terms or something.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 09, 2012, 11:14:29 AM »

I hate all this, partly because of how fucking bass-ackwards and petty Mike is being. sh*t, he wants The Beach Boys to be the biggest band in the world. Unlike most men with that sort of ambition, The Beach Boys, the band he had a pivotal part in, could be the biggest band in the world. This summer, they conducted themselves like the biggest band in the world, and it was amazing.

Of course, this isn't so simple. It makes all the sense in the world for a man of Mike Love's ambition, and a man who has gone from playing to hundreds of thousands of people in stadiums around the world to playing to hundreds of people at country fairs in Fuckstick, Utah, to run screaming like a madman to Madison Square Garden if someone offered him a gig there. But no. That's not doing things his way. Stubborn is alright, but not when it's so completely idiotic.

I also don't give a flying monkeys about 'well, his band have to eat too'. They're talented dudes and they can find work.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 09, 2012, 11:16:28 AM »

Far from ludicrous. It's just as relevant a thought as those suggesting Mike was living up to some kind of blue-collar workman's ethic by doing these shows. I never bought into that working man crap when Springsteen would project that mythology by walking around his stadiums busting ticket scalpers with the cops, so I also don't buy that Mike's rationale is mostly based around him busting his ass to earn a living and give people work.

If it's not that obvious on the surface, consider that it ain't all about the money.

Wait, I misread yr sentiment. Carry on.  Grin

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #117 on: October 09, 2012, 11:17:56 AM »

Ok, i haven't read anything that anyone's written on here yet, i've only read the original post and the accompanying article, and my thoughts on reading that are:

Well yes, OF COURSE Brian and Al (and presumably David) are upset. Quite frankly i've felt the Mike defenders on this board of late have been grasping at straws: Mike did act sh*tty, uncaring and thoughtless in issuing that press release in the manner that he did, and his subsequent 'explanation' was most definately not 'beautiful' - as someone rather unusually commented on this board. Brian has every right to be pissed off, damn right! It doesn't matter what was agreed beforehand! That was beforehand! That was before the massively successful tour and album. Brian is Mike's cousin. He needs to remember what he has Brian to thank for. It is utterly heartless the way he has gone about things. I'm a little tired of reading the increasingly desperate attempts by some Smiley Smilers to excuse or explain Mike's behaviour even when it's reprehensible.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 11:20:40 AM by Disney Boy (1985) » Logged
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: October 09, 2012, 11:21:24 AM »

Howard Johnson is right! I know, the anti-Mike slant of online fandom has been tough for those that love the whole band -- and Mike  DOES have his reasons, and yes, understanding them is a good thing. But in this case, he crammed his whole foot in his mouth while Bruce adjusted the mic stand. No amount of "We knew this in June" is going to make Mike come out smelling like roses here.

Those bored of this discussion better brace themselves for much more of it the coming year unless they work something out. Wait till the backing band interviews start popping up...
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 11:23:47 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 09, 2012, 11:22:34 AM »

Howard Johnson is right!

Rarrit!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 09, 2012, 11:23:59 AM »

Ok, i haven't read anything that anyone's written on here yet, i've only read the original post and the accompanying article, and my thoughts on reading that are:

Well yes, OF COURSE Brian and Al (and presumably David) are upset. Quite frankly i've felt the Mike defenders on this board of late have been grasping at straws: Mike did act sh*tty, uncaring and thoughtless in issuing that press release in the manner that he did, and his subsequent 'explanation' was most definately not 'beautiful' - as someone rather unusually commented on this board. Brian has every right to be pissed off, damn right! It doesn't matter what was agreed beforehand! That was beforehand! That was before the massively successful tour and album. Brian is Mike's cousin. He needs to remember what he has Brian to thank for. It is utterly heartless the way he has gone about things. I'm a little tired of reading the increasingly desperate attempts by some Smiley Smilers to excuse or explain Mike's behaviour even when it's reprehensible.

And totally uncharacteristic of him

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 09, 2012, 11:26:07 AM »

Meanwhile, on John Stamos' twitter page...a retweet:

Want to see @JohnStamos and @TheBeachBoys? There's still time to get your tix! http://beaurivage.com/entertainment/entertainment_headliners_detail.aspx?id=2341

OH YES. There's still time. ISN'T IT TIME?

sh*t like this makes me throw up a little.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 09, 2012, 11:26:35 AM »

Now who can argue with that?

Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 09, 2012, 11:29:14 AM »

LOL YES!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 09, 2012, 11:29:50 AM »

f***stick, Utah.
Nice town, ranks up there with Kokomo and Sumahama. Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 20 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx