gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681064 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 20, 2024, 11:58:04 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blondie Chaplin to Guest with BW on Some Dates  (Read 56753 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: September 08, 2013, 12:46:19 PM »

According to the article 20% on the fitst million, 17.5% thereafter. Course, that money goes to BRI which Mike owns 25% so, in essense, he gets back 25% net of what he pays in license fees.

Doing some math, for example, on $10 million MB annual gross. Mike pays $200, 000 on the first million and $1,575, 000 on the next $9 million. That totals $1, 775, 000 in fees. Say the net on that is 60% (taxes, expenses).  That's about a million bucks divided 4 ways. So Brian, Mike, Carl's estate and Al get $250, 000 before taxes.  So  that is probably $150, 000 each after taxes. Not chump change but not a fortune. I think Mike has a great deal.

Your assumption of $10 million is... interesting. As for getting - for the sake of arguement - $150,000 net year in, year out for doing nothing... I don't see Carl's estate ever wanting to change that, thus you have a 2-2 tie at worst. Ergo, the status quo remains exactly that. Brian's income is obviously more impressive than that: Alan's... I have no idea, but I think $150k gratis would be welcomed.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: September 08, 2013, 12:55:44 PM »

I'm shocked the members of BRI earn so little. After all the protestations from those "in the know," I would have expected the principals to be raking in more than the low six figures each year. Maybe not millions, but at least a million apiece.

I think that this, frankly, proves most of the discussion about Mike's generosity in touring as the BBs to be bogus. Maybe because BRI monitors this board and has advised certain folks to say certain things. I can't be sure. But I can't help but feel used.

Were I you, I'd give serious thought about rewording that observation. It's pretty close to libelous. Actually, it is libelous, as you've stated that BRI have instructed certain posters to say certain things. Can't speak for the other non-Mike bashers you're pointing the finger at, but I have never been a mouthpiece for any of the 'interested' parties: not Mike, not Brian, not Alan, not BRI.

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 08, 2013, 01:00:40 PM »

According to the article 20% on the fitst million, 17.5% thereafter. Course, that money goes to BRI which Mike owns 25% so, in essense, he gets back 25% net of what he pays in license fees.

Doing some math, for example, on $10 million MB annual gross. Mike pays $200, 000 on the first million and $1,575, 000 on the next $9 million. That totals $1, 775, 000 in fees. Say the net on that is 60% (taxes, expenses).  That's about a million bucks divided 4 ways. So Brian, Mike, Carl's estate and Al get $250, 000 before taxes.  So  that is probably $150, 000 each after taxes. Not chump change but not a fortune. I think Mike has a great deal.

Your assumption of $10 million is... interesting. As for getting - for the sake of arguement - $150,000 net year in, year out for doing nothing... I don't see Carl's estate ever wanting to change that, thus you have a 2-2 tie at worst. Ergo, the status quo remains exactly that. Brian's income is obviously more impressive than that: Alan's... I have no idea, but I think $150k gratis would be welcomed.
Just doing simple math  based on the article quoting Mike saying what he had payed in license fees. As Mike is making millions vs. $150, 000, Brian and Al could easily pay Carl's estate much more than they are getting from Mike. Maybe Brian, flush with cast from his movie and book deal, buys out Carl's estate. But what you are admitting in words is that Mike's license is not permanent? A BRI vote majority couod change it?

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: September 08, 2013, 01:06:19 PM »

I have no idea if the 'Love License' is permanent, although past (non) events would seem to suggest it is, which (if true) in turn would imply that there have been revisions and amendments of which we know nothing. My point was that were either Alan or Brian to call an extra-ordinary AGM of BRI in an attempt to force a vote of amending the license, unless they offered Carl's estate a guarantee that their income would not be affected, I don't see the latter siding with them.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 08, 2013, 01:19:45 PM »

Meet & Greets used to be free. No music ticket should cost $100 or more.

This.

Sadly many gigs aren't just marketed at the fans. They're executive packages that one company treats another company to, to try to win their favour (ie, business). It has stuffed prices for fans, with posh pits instead of mosh pits at big outdoor gigs, and air-heads wandering around everywhere with barely a clue as to who they've come to see/hear/etc.

Ignore, me, I'm nearly 50 y'know…

“We live in divisive times.”
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 08, 2013, 01:23:11 PM »

I have no idea if the 'Love License' is permanent, although past (non) events would seem to suggest it is, which (if true) in turn would imply that there have been revisions and amendments of which we know nothing. My point was that were either Alan or Brian to call an extra-ordinary AGM of BRI in an attempt to force a vote of amending the license, unless they offered Carl's estate a guarantee that their income would not be affected, I don't see the latter siding with them.

How much money did the C50 make?

Even after all the expenses, I think the guys made way more money than the M&B show does.

True, but the C50 was a one-off (sorry, but it was) whereas the terms of the "Love License" are in perpetuity, thus guaranteeing the BRI members an income as long as Mike tours.

So let me get this straight. You criticize Mr. Wilson for writing poorly while you knowingly make a statement, "Love License" are in perpetuity", that is  factually not true and based on your assumtions of what might or might not happen?  Grin

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Nicko1234
« Reply #156 on: September 08, 2013, 01:26:05 PM »

Just doing simple math  based on the article quoting Mike saying what he had payed in license fees. As Mike is making millions vs. $150, 000, Brian and Al could easily pay Carl's estate much more than they are getting from Mike. Maybe Brian, flush with cast from his movie and book deal, buys out Carl's estate. But what you are admitting in words is that Mike's license is not permanent? A BRI vote majority couod change it?

What makes you say that?

Brian and Al wouldn't play 100+ concerts a year and with 13 band members on stage their costs would be much higher.

Nicko1234
« Reply #157 on: September 08, 2013, 01:28:06 PM »

So let me get this straight. You criticize Mr. Wilson for writing poorly while you knowingly make a statement, "Love License" are in perpetuity", that is  factually not true and based on your assumtions of what might or might not happen?  Grin

Well 'in perpetuity' means for an indefinite period of time.

And as there is no definite end to Mike's touring that is so.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: September 08, 2013, 01:31:27 PM »

How much money did the C50 make?

Even after all the expenses, I think the guys made way more money than the M&B show does.

True, but the C50 was a one-off (sorry, but it was) whereas the terms of the "Love License" are in perpetuity, thus guaranteeing the BRI members an income as long as Mike tours.

I said the terms of the license, not the license itself.  Grin

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 08, 2013, 01:34:57 PM »

Peretu

So let me get this straight. You criticize Mr. Wilson for writing poorly while you knowingly make a statement, "Love License" are in perpetuity", that is  factually not true and based on your assumtions of what might or might not happen?  Grin

What makes you say that?

Brian and Al wouldn't play 100+ concerts a year and with 13 band members on stage their costs would be much higher.

You need to sit down with pen, paper and calculator. Brian and Al can make millions biloed as the BB doing 50-70 shows vs. getting $150, 000 from Mike annually.  It's very simple, simple math.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 08, 2013, 01:38:18 PM »

To be honest, $150,000 is chump change for Brian and Al since they are multi-millionaires flush with cash.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: September 08, 2013, 01:40:54 PM »

If they did 50-70 shows a year, which I seriously doubt on the following grounds:

1 - Brian may not last the course...

2 - it could all fall apart just as it did back in 2007. This is, I feel, more likely.

Anyway, a moot point as the license is staying with Mike & Bruce for the immediate, and likely long-term, future, for the reasons previously outlined.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: September 08, 2013, 01:43:32 PM »

To be honest, $150,000 is chump change for Brian and Al since they are multi-millionaires flush with cash.

Brian, of course, is indeed doing nicely, although nothing like as nicely as he should be, had Murry not sold his publishing. Alan... I'm guessing his main income derives from his wife's Arabians. His song portfolio is pretty slim.

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 08, 2013, 01:45:55 PM »

If they did 50-70 shows a year, which I seriously doubt on the following grounds:

2 - it could all fall apart just as it did back in 2007. This is, I feel, more likely.

Anyway, a moot point as the license is staying with Mike & Bruce for the immediate, and likely long-term, future, for the reasons previously outlined.
Well, let's use some very recent history, the C50. Hell, Brian doesn't even have to sh8w up if there is Al, David and Blondie.  People will just show to see the Beach Boys.

Nicko1234
« Reply #164 on: September 08, 2013, 01:46:49 PM »

You need to sit down with pen, paper and calculator. Brian and Al can make millions biloed as the BB doing 50-70 shows vs. getting $150, 000 from Mike annually.  It's very simple, simple math.

That's not what you said though is it. You said they could pay Carl's estate much more than $150,000 per year.

Now even if they were to play 50-70 concerts next year (and thse would obviously not be on the scale of C50), Carl's estate would surely want guarantees that they would do that for the next several years. How could Brian give those guarantees and why would any fan want Brian to?

Brian has carved out a solo career since 1998 and hasn't had to rely on touring in a fake Beach Boys line-up in the way that Mike has. It baffles me how any fan could want him to stop that and tour in a Beach Boys group without 4 of the most important members.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: September 08, 2013, 01:49:44 PM »

Well, let's use some very recent history, the C50. Hell, Brian doesn't even have to sh8w up if there is Al, David and Blondie.  People will just show to see the Beach Boys.

... and promptly demand their money back. There is only one Beach Boys, and they toured last year between April and September.

Nicko1234
« Reply #166 on: September 08, 2013, 01:50:47 PM »

I think people might notice if it was just Al, David and Blondie. The one thing Mike has going for him is that he is the frontman and sang lead vocals on most of the hits.

And just because Brian played 70 shows last year doesn't mean he could do it every year.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 08, 2013, 01:51:21 PM »

So let me get this straight. You criticize Mr. Wilson for writing poorly while you knowingly make a statement, "Love License" are in perpetuity", that is  factually not true and based on your assumtions of what might or might not happen?  Grin

Means forever,  not indefinite. Legally, these words have significantly different meanings. Mike's license is subject to termination in a number of ways:

1) A BRI vote
2) Violation of the license terms
3) Incapacity

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/In+Perpetuity

in perpetuity adj. forever, as in one's right to keep the profits from the land in perpetuity.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: September 08, 2013, 01:54:33 PM »

I seem to recall the US government giving the Indians tracts of land in perpetuity...
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 01:55:58 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Nicko1234
« Reply #169 on: September 08, 2013, 01:55:00 PM »

in perpetuity

For an indefinite period of time
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 08, 2013, 01:56:05 PM »

I think people might notice if it was just Al, David and Blondie. The one thing Mike has going for him is that he is the frontman and sang lead vocals on most of the hits.

And just because Brian played 70 shows last year doesn't mean he could do it every year.
I point you back again to the article you quoted numerous times yesterday. The public doesn't know Mike Love, they know the Beach Boys.

Lynyrd Skynyrd draw huge crowds with one original, who plays guitar.

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 08, 2013, 01:59:12 PM »

in perpetuity

For an indefinite period of time
Wrong, wrong. And any attorney would tell you so. He would also tell you the meaning of argumentative.

Nicko1234
« Reply #172 on: September 08, 2013, 02:03:13 PM »

I point you back again to the article you quoted numerous times yesterday. The public doesn't know Mike Love, they know the Beach Boys.

Lynyrd Skynyrd draw huge crowds with one original, who plays guitar.

Indeed. But they know that The Beach Boys have a frontman. They may not know or care about his name but they know he exists.

I can understand why you have a grudge against Mike. And I can completely understand why you would like to see him lose the license.

But Al, David and Blondie together? This would still only be 1 BRI voting member and would basically guarantee Brian and Carl's estate getting less money. For as long as Mike is fit, Carl's estate have a golden goose. Why would they kill that and trust Al?
Nicko1234
« Reply #173 on: September 08, 2013, 02:04:43 PM »

Wrong, wrong. And any attorney would tell you so. He would also tell you the meaning of argumentative.

None of us are attorneys including AGD. You know full well what he meant.

And I honestly don't believe that you believe half of the things you post. I'm sure you want Mike to lose the license but not half of the other stuff...
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: September 08, 2013, 02:12:50 PM »

I don't want to interrupt all this pulse-pounding dick measuring, but hey!

Blondie! Isn't that gonna be neat?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5WDhyPX9XI

2 leads, ya figure? Sail on, Sailor and WHAT. Can he still pull off a screaming, senses-shattering Wild Honey?

It should've happened last year and regardless of who was responsible for making it happen this year, huzzah! This is still great news and is bound to add a little more crazy magic to what'll already by some fairly unique shows. DVD. Live CD. SOOOOMETHING.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 02:16:43 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx