gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681290 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4081 Members - Latest Member: zappi June 01, 2024, 05:43:14 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blondie Chaplin to Guest with BW on Some Dates  (Read 56856 times)
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2013, 06:21:47 PM »

I see two reasons behind adding Blondie. Unlike Mike & Bruce touring as The Beach Boys, Brian has had problems in the past selling tickets. Every time he adds a "guest" - Al, David, Jeff Beck, Blondie - he sells more tickets. Sure, taking each guest as an individual attraction isn't going to significantly affect sales, but taken together as a package, it becomes increasingly attractive. There is a large crossover of fans who attend both Mike & Bruce shows and Brian Wilson shows. After seeing both entities for the past few/several years, there is now more of a choice to be made, more so than in the past when Brian touring was new. Brian's just stockpiling attractions to sway the choice(s).

Also, every time brianandhismanagers add a guest, that is one or two or three or four less songs for Brian to sing or carry. I'm not sure Brian can carry a show like he used to. If he's going to continue to tour as a solo artist, and I use that term loosely, we will probably see more guest vocalists/musicians taking a turn.

I still highly doubt these guest additions have anything to do with the name/licensing. It does get people riled up on a message board, though...
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2013, 06:33:41 PM »

This has been in the works for a while. Glad it's all out now and the dates have been nailed down.
Spoke with Blondie this morning who's really happy about this.
Talked to Al the other night who's even MORE excited to have reconnected with Blondie, both personally and professionally.
Hopefully, next summer we can buy tickets in many markets with all four on board.

I'd love nothing more than to see David Marks and Blondie Chaplin onstage creating some brilliant NEW chemistry together.
How cool would that be?

If the four come to the Pacific NW summer, I am there! Wondering what else is in the works Howie?
Thanks for the update!!!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2013, 06:37:32 PM »

As far as Brian trying to "send a message" to Mike, I don't think it's as direct as Brian imminently planning to strike to take the name back. If that were the only motive, then he would be better served lobbying Carl's estate behind the scene or something. I think adding all the extra BB's to his show is a much more subtle, passive shot meant to simply indicate that Brian and his camp are willing in theory/principle to throw more weight around, PR wise as well as perhaps "corporately."

It's worth noting that, in my opinion, adding Al to some shows in 2006/2007 was also a political move meant to send a message. I know I've thrown the following assertion out there several times even though I can't track down the court documents I remember reading, but I recall reading in one of the legal filings from Mike's team during one of the lawsuits with Brian back around 2006/2007 (the free CD giveaway lawsuit I believe?) that at some point Brian (or his team of course) basically threatened to take back the Beach Boys name and tour with Al as The Beach Boys if this or that was not done. I don't recall what the legal filing claimed the "this or that" was, and as with now, I got the feeling that back then Brian didn't really actually want to take the BB name back and tour behind it; it was simply a means to assert some power in the whole situation to get whatever consideration they wanted.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2013, 06:41:31 PM »

I see two reasons behind adding Blondie. Unlike Mike & Bruce touring as The Beach Boys, Brian has had problems in the past selling tickets. Every time he adds a "guest" - Al, David, Jeff Beck, Blondie - he sells more tickets. Sure, taking each guest as an individual attraction isn't going to significantly affect sales, but taken together as a package, it becomes increasingly attractive. There is a large crossover of fans who attend both Mike & Bruce shows and Brian Wilson shows. After seeing both entities for the past few/several years, there is now more of a choice to be made, more so than in the past when Brian touring was new. Brian's just stockpiling attractions to sway the choice(s).

Also, every time brianandhismanagers add a guest, that is one or two or three or four less songs for Brian to sing or carry. I'm not sure Brian can carry a show like he used to. If he's going to continue to tour as a solo artist, and I use that term loosely, we will probably see more guest vocalists/musicians taking a turn.

I still highly doubt these guest additions have anything to do with the name/licensing. It does get people riled up on a message board, though...

I have to go with Wirestone on this one; I don't know how much of a factor it is, but it can't be a coincidence that Brian is continually and almost comically adding BB's to his show to the point he now has twice as many in his band as Mike's "Beach Boys."

I think it is an added benefit that Brian is now allowed to do less heavy lifting for the show vocally. I thought that was a great aspect of the C50 tour.

I also doubt that Al or Dave or Blondie sell a lot more tickets. Brian may not sell places out all the time, but the fan bases of Brian and Jeff Beck collectively will sell enough tickets for this tour I think. Having two to three more BB's is probably more about comfort for Brian, and maybe a bit about family/friendship/togetherness whatnot, and also a convenient way to send that vague slight salvo over to Mike's camp.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2013, 06:52:36 PM »

Is Blondies' mini tour with the Brian's Boys the B40 tour?

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2013, 07:02:55 PM »

Yet another thread devolves into Team Mike vs Team Brian.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2013, 07:14:42 PM »

I think its more Blondie recorded some vocals on Brians new album, they all got on and it was suggested they might all put on a good live show. Nothing more.

...or should I post this under the unpopular opinions thread? Grin
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2013, 07:35:52 PM »

Yet another thread devolves into Team Mike vs Team Brian.

How so? No one has attacked either touring ensemble. No one has criticized Mike for using the name. Just some gossiping among friends.
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2013, 07:46:36 PM »

I just think the C50 made Brian want to be in a band again, and not be just a solo artist. Plus he's known Al and Dave for over 50 years...these are his friends, and I think he needs them around. I do think adding Blondie does sort of make a point, but to most people the point was settled long ago.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2013, 08:23:21 PM »

If nothing else, maybe it’s possible we can take it all on face value. Someone suggested having Blondie sing on Brian’s album, and then they all just decided, “Hey, let’s have Blondie play some shows with us!”

I encourage ALL of you to take this at face value. There's no mindfucks or retaliation or anything else going on. Blondie was a Beach Boy for what, 2 years before he became history. If Carl or Dennis were here, it's hard to say who'd they be touring with and maybe then there would be something to talk about. But they're not here so that leaves Blondie and Ricky who were, for a brief period, legit Beach Boys. Surprisingly, some on this board don't even acknowledge that they were real Beach Boys (I guess because of their short tenures and minimal contributions in the studio?).

Anyway, Blondie's signed up for just a FEW DATES, at least so far. Ricky's busy. Rick showed up on stage with Brian and Al back in '07 and I don't think since. Brian and Al obviously loved for him being there as there were smiles all around. Would be cool if Ricky could make a gig, but it's doubtful.

But invariably, there are some who wait in the wings for a thread like this to appear that could remotely be controversial and it's back to the same old nit-picking sh*t-stirring B.S. about Mike Love and the end of the C50 tour. Let it lie people! Isn't it out of your systems yet? Try not to let it bother you! It's history, nothing's gonna be reversed, and the subject has been milked dry on this board for a year now. Let's look forward to the reviews of the upcoming concerts.

Thanks go to Howie and Jon for their involvement and influence in getting Blondie to join Wilson and Beck and their bands for a few gigs. Your assistance is appreciated by us fans!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 08:32:40 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2013, 08:24:34 PM »

I just think the C50 made Brian want to be in a band again, and not be just a solo artist. Plus he's known Al and Dave for over 50 years...these are his friends, and I think he needs them around. I do think adding Blondie does sort of make a point, but to most people the point was settled long ago.
Was thinking the same thing. It's more fun now for Brian to be in a band. Maybe his wife is trying to make a point but I doubt Brian cares much. Rock on the B40 tour.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2013, 08:33:05 PM »

Mikie, you befuddle me. No one has attacked Mike at all in this thread. No one. There's been no debate about the end of the C50 tour. None.

There has been discussion about the addition of a fourth Beach Boy to a tour. One that's not under the name Beach Boys. Now, I don't know what you would expect from a Beach Boys forum, but surely this is worthy of some discussion and consideration. About what it means for the respective bands and for the future.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2013, 08:44:38 PM »

Was thinking the same thing. It's more fun now for Brian to be in a band. Maybe his wife is trying to make a point but I doubt Brian cares much. Rock on the B40 tour.

Yep. I think this is a really crucial part of it all, and one of Brian's real personal reasons for doing it.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2013, 09:13:48 PM »

Mikie, you befuddle me. No one has attacked Mike at all in this thread. No one. There's been no debate about the end of the C50 tour. None.

Posts of the day:

“How anybody can find anything negative over Blondie joining Brian, Al and Dave on stage is completely beyond me. "Guesting" - that's funny!”

“Yet another thread devolves into Team Mike vs Team Brian”.

It can be a soap opera if the media and you want it to be! What I was alluding to before you make me look like a Dufus for exaggerating or B.S.'ing, Wirestone. It’s all here. There’s gotta be a subtle message or something retalitory or sparring or other polarizing thing going on behind the scenes, right?

“I think the demise of the reunion showed a number of things. While one clearly evident thing is that it’s not all roses all of a sudden and they do still have disagreements, it also showed that in terms of the corporate/legal setup, they are all relatively comfortable with how things are, or at least see the uphill battle it would be to drastically change things. That’s not to say that there isn’t possibly some subtle warning shots being fired by Brian’s camp. When he went out with both Al and David, folks wondered if it was a case of trying to send a message to Mike. That was pretty debatable, but ultimately it was a case of three dudes simply continuing on who had toured together last year.”

“AWESOME..! I also smell a lawsuit building.! BW + management could be building a strong case to take BB name away from Mike. Look what is happening. You got 4 BB in one band and 2 in another. And who has the rights to use The BEACH BOYS name.. WHOA.! Im not saying its gonna happen cause im sure they are tired of wasting money on lawyers..And I know they could vote Mike"s rights away also.. Lawsuit anyway from Mike.. So they are setting a precedent if it went to court. it would have to be settled out of court and force all parties to play ball together.. Also isn't this also a way to set rules for the future generations use of the name.. ? It"s obvious Brian + Al + David were really hurt by breaking up last year and they are striking back the only way they know how.. Recording + touring.. They all seem to think they will live forever and they got plenty of time.. Im sorry  they don't. adding three Beach Boys to his touring outfit sends a similarly unmistakable signal. Brian still sees himself as a Beach Boy, and he can still lead a band with them”/

“There is a message being sent.. And the comparison to YES is very good.. I just wish BB would grow up... Time is short.. Even if they all live to be 100 yrs old. How much longer are you all gonna be able to sing like that.. Kiss + make up”. up please..

“You really think that having twice as many Beach Boys onstage as Mike's band is like, a total happy accident? Come on.”

“As do I. Even the least cynical of persons would probably find it a bit of a coincidental stretch that Blondie is now joining the tour for a few dates (and obviously the album). A not-so-subtle message -- whatever the intent -- is most likely being sent.”

”Though, the exact nature of that intent is still the million dollar question?...lol.”

“It"s amazing since Carl died Mike has been yappin about writing + recording with Brian.. He gets the chance + walks away.. WELL.. He did some writing with Brian just not the whole album..Brian even recorded one of Mike"s songs on the LP.. He got part of what he wanted anyway. Why Mike was mad at Brian for his own bus is a mystery to me.. Brian has ISSUES.... Im sick of Mikes complaining it doesn't ring true.. He just wants to control everything + Brian+ managment was given control on C50 tour..And look at everything that's been recorded + issued.. Mike has taken his toys and walked away..”

“I don't know how much of a factor it is, but it can't be a coincidence that Brian is continually and almost comically adding BB's to his show to the point he now has twice as many in his band as Mike's "Beach Boys.”."

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2013, 09:51:24 PM »

I'm not sure what your long string of quotes is supposed to prove, except that there is discussion on a discussion board.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2013, 09:57:35 PM »

I'm alluding to the fact that some people on this board like to make it a "Mike's Camp" vs. "Brian's Camp" thing.  Like there's something going on beyond the face value of Blondie joining Brian's band for a few gigs.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2013, 10:13:34 PM »

I'm alluding to the fact that some people on this board like to make it a "Mike's Camp" vs. "Brian's Camp" thing.  Like there's something going on beyond the face value of Blondie joining Brian's band for a few gigs.

Well, of course there is.

It's plain as Al Jardine saying onstage that "we're the real Beach Boys."

It's plain as Mike Love accidentally floating a BB poster that had his name far bigger than the band's.

It's plain as the oodles of disgruntled interviews from band members.

It's as plain as the dark hints from AGD and others about what happened as the C50 dates ended.

It's as plain as Brian just happening to rope in three former Beach Boys to appear on his new album that will just happen to be issued by the label that released the last Beach Boys record.

It's as plain as the knowledge that throughout his life, Brian has been a master of passive aggression, managing to ultimately bend those around him into giving him what he wants.

To me -- and perhaps it's just me and I'm a crazy guy running around the woods in a scratchy loincloth -- it's clear there's some wrangling going on. There's some pressure being applied Maybe it's subtle. Maybe it's overt. Maybe Mike doesn't give a fig. Maybe he does. Maybe it's mainly that Brian likes playing in a band, and any irritation to Mike is a pleasant byproduct (that sounds most likely of all to me).

But this is the Beach Boys we're talking about. This is a band whose drummer married the lead singer's illegitimate daughter. Who's his cousin! This is a band whose creative genius wandered around the streets of LA as a homeless bum and played piano in bars for money. They've beaten each other up, taken each other to court, called each other the most terrible things. They could barely make it through a glowingly reviewed 50th anniversary tour that did nothing make them oodles of money. They ooze drama and skulduggery from every pore! And not just the evil-seeming ones, but the clean-cut ones like Al "I'll hold a grudge for 50 years" Jardine.* There is nothing these guys couldn't contemplate and wouldn't do to each other at some point. It's how they show they care.

Sure, on one hand it's kinda sad. But on the other, hey, it's made for some of the most entertaining tabloid fun of any band. So why wouldn't this latest news be seen through any other prism? It's just the guys trying to screw each other over again.

*I'm pretty sure that Dave's all right. But he had the good fortune to be out of the band for awhile and learn how to be sane.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 10:17:38 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2013, 07:13:09 AM »

“AWESOME..! I also smell a lawsuit building.! BW + management could be building a strong case to take BB name away from Mike. Look what is happening. You got 4 BB in one band and 2 in another. And who has the rights to use The BEACH BOYS name.. WHOA.! Im not saying its gonna happen cause im sure they are tired of wasting money on lawyers..And I know they could vote Mike"s rights away also.. Lawsuit anyway from Mike.. So they are setting a precedent if it went to court. it would have to be settled out of court and force all parties to play ball together.

Mikie hasn't identified the OP but never mind. Not merely utter tosh but badly written and misleading tosh. Remember, when Mike tours the other three BRI members all get a nice sum for doing precisely nothing. You really think they're going to give that up for a point of artistic principal ?

Also, consider the reverse scenario of Mike adding former members to his tour, and imagine the screams of outrage and accusations of 'bullying'. Yet when Brian does it, sh*t, he's the best thing since sliced bread. Not that anyone here imagines for a moment it was ever Brian's idea, of course...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 07, 2013, 08:10:46 AM »

How much money did the C50 make?

Even after all the expenses, I think the guys made way more money than the M&B show does.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: September 07, 2013, 08:22:34 AM »

How much money did the C50 make?

Even after all the expenses, I think the guys made way more money than the M&B show does.

True, but the C50 was a one-off (sorry, but it was) whereas the terms of the "Love License" are in perpetuity, thus guaranteeing the BRI members an income as long as Mike tours.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 07, 2013, 08:25:58 AM »

Also, consider the reverse scenario of Mike adding former members to his tour, and imagine the screams of outrage and accusations of 'bullying'.

Actually, no.  We didn't actually get screams of outrage when David Marks reappeared in 1997, or when Al Jardine did in 2011.

Yet when Brian does it, sh*t, he's the best thing since sliced bread. Not that anyone here imagines for a moment it was ever Brian's idea, of course...

Whoever's idea it was to give Blondie Chaplin some recognition now, after leaving him out on the whole of 2012, deserves praise for fixing the oversight, surely?

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 07, 2013, 09:04:20 AM »

I for one am very glad that Blondie is playing with some of the guys again. I wish he had never left the BB's to begin with! If he's allowed to, Blondie could add some real down an' dirty rock and roll to the BW stage act, which frankly, it's been crying out for.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 07, 2013, 09:34:41 AM »

“AWESOME..! I also smell a lawsuit building.! BW + management could be building a strong case to take BB name away from Mike. Look what is happening. You got 4 BB in one band and 2 in another. And who has the rights to use The BEACH BOYS name.. WHOA.! Im not saying its gonna happen cause im sure they are tired of wasting money on lawyers..And I know they could vote Mike"s rights away also.. Lawsuit anyway from Mike.. So they are setting a precedent if it went to court. it would have to be settled out of court and force all parties to play ball together.

Mikie hasn't identified the OP but never mind. Not merely utter tosh but badly written and misleading tosh. Remember, when Mike tours the other three BRI members all get a nice sum for doing precisely nothing. You really think they're going to give that up for a point of artistic principal ?

Also, consider the reverse scenario of Mike adding former members to his tour, and imagine the screams of outrage and accusations of 'bullying'. Yet when Brian does it, sh*t, he's the best thing since sliced bread. Not that anyone here imagines for a moment it was ever Brian's idea, of course...

Love ya, AGD, but that sounds way off base to me. Fans would be beside themselves if Al and Dave and Blondie toured with Mike. There wouldn't even be discussion of names and licenses and whatnot. That group would be the Beach Boys, full stop. I for one would be thrilled to see them, too.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 07, 2013, 09:36:33 AM »

I for one am very glad that Blondie is playing with some of the guys again. I wish he had never left the BB's to begin with! If he's allowed to, Blondie could add some real down an' dirty rock and roll to the BW stage act, which frankly, it's been crying out for.

Absolutely. The only part of the announcement that I don't like is the limited dates business. Have him at all the shows!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 07, 2013, 10:27:28 AM »

Anyone who's seen Blondie playing with the Stones will agree, the guy's lost nothing. He can still tear it up like it's 1972!

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx