gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680897 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 05, 2024, 11:44:53 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New drummer  (Read 9018 times)
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2007, 08:40:46 AM »

* When Mike Meros was "let go", one of the reasons stated was that they (Mike & Jacqueline) wanted only band members that could sing.  They now have their wish.  Now everyone in the band sings.  The only one left that does not sing lead vocals is Tim Bonhomme.

He was "let go" and for THAT reason? Unbelievable.  Shocked  And for the others: I don't think Billy Hinsche was fired, same for Ed Carter. I always wonder what happened to Bobby Figueroa when he left in 1988, he was so much better then Kowalski.  So I ain't said that Mike left the band. Cowsill is really good, and he sung and played on "Good Timin'" btw, but I hope he won't sing any leads. It would be cool if Bruce plays keyboards but I don't think so.

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2007, 03:00:55 PM »

What this recent firing verifies for me is that no one is immune to being fired. 

Didn't Mike basically fire Al, Dennis, and kind of Brian anyways throughout the years?  I think we already knew nobody's immune!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2007, 03:57:44 PM »

What this recent firing verifies for me is that no one is immune to being fired. 

Didn't Mike basically fire Al, Dennis, and kind of Brian anyways throughout the years?  I think we already knew nobody's immune!

Except Mike, apparently!
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2007, 04:22:30 PM »

* When Mike Meros was "let go", one of the reasons stated was that they (Mike & Jacqueline) wanted only band members that could sing.  They now have their wish.  Now everyone in the band sings.  The only one left that does not sing lead vocals is Tim Bonhomme.

He was "let go" and for THAT reason? Unbelievable.  Shocked  And for the others: I don't think Billy Hinsche was fired, same for Ed Carter. I always wonder what happened to Bobby Figueroa when he left in 1988, he was so much better then Kowalski.  So I ain't said that Mike left the band. Cowsill is really good, and he sung and played on "Good Timin'" btw, but I hope he won't sing any leads. It would be cool if Bruce plays keyboards but I don't think so.
I hope someone comes up with a sure answer for these.  With Bobby, I'm pretty sure he was fired.  Same with Ed Carter.  With Billy, I'm not that sure, but I think he was let go too.
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2007, 06:16:14 PM »

You won't lose the Rhonda thing, never fear.

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2007, 07:47:11 PM »

Several of these fellows mentioned would have been "let go" by Carl wouldn't they; if they they were in fact let go at all?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2007, 08:56:17 PM »

Several of these fellows mentioned would have been "let go" by Carl wouldn't they; if they they were in fact let go at all?
With a lot of those guys from the 90's, I'm sure it was a group decision, but I think that Carl & Mike played the biggest roles in making these decisions. 
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2007, 09:24:25 PM »

I think that Mike Love should get fired.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2007, 11:16:20 PM »

I'd like to know more about Christian Love.  What band(s) did he play bass in?  What is his approximate age?  He definitely does very credible  renditions of Carl's vocals.
MBE
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2007, 12:42:25 AM »

Christian did have a band but I forget their name. He is a real talent in my eyes. Personally I think his voice sounds more like a young Dennis.
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2007, 04:12:49 AM »

Christian did have a band but I forget their name. He is a real talent in my eyes. Personally I think his voice sounds more like a young Dennis.

Does he look like Dennis too?  Grin- Now that would be another great BB story!

I think Mike is the only BB not to have left or been fired - apart from when they hospitalised him in 1970 and Brian had to fill in?

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2007, 09:11:11 AM »

Christian's other band is 5 Alarm. I'd say he's about 40.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2007, 09:33:54 AM »

5 Alarm recently opened for Mike & Bruce at the Ventura County Fair.  I was impressed.  Tim Bonhomme, Randell Kirsch and Scott Totten all were guest musicians that day, too.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2007, 09:39:02 AM »

I think that Mike Love should get fired.
Now you're talkin'!!!! Best idea I've heard yet!! Smokin
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2007, 01:12:39 PM »

Not quite - born May 23, 1968

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2007, 01:41:40 PM »

In my mind Christian does a very nice job on the songs he sings, especially Getcha Back and can sound like both Al and Carl. However, Good Vibes was better with Randall singing the lead.  I think Christian's talent level is on par with Kirsch , Farmer , maybe Cowsill etc.  I wouldn't expect any top 40 hits from him! His guitar is impossible to hear in the mix so its hard to judge that. He does a very good job at what he does in the band, but I can't see envision having a major career of his own.
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2007, 02:36:41 PM »

Chris is almost 39? He looks younger to me.

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2007, 07:14:08 PM »

OK - AGD tells us that Christian Love was born May 23, 1968. 

Is he Mike's blonde kid on the cover and inside gatefold of Sunflower? 

(BTW, although Sunflower is generally listed as being released 8-31-70, I have documented evidence that I purchased it on 8-21-70.  I'd been bugging my local record store about The Beach Boys new Add Some Music album, and when I bought Sunflower they told me that it had just arrived that day.)

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2007, 07:42:19 PM »

I remember hearing that Ed Carter retired (voluntarily) from the road.  I also remember hearing he filled in for Chris Farmer at a gig or two in '98.

I heard Billy was dismissed, but never heard exactly why.  But then again, I remember earlier in '95 reading (I believe in ESQ, but I can't find it) that there would be some "big changes" to the onstage lineup after the current tour ended, and that a couple of longtimers would be leaving, which implies something other than a sudden dismissal.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2007, 01:07:38 AM »

In my mind Christian does a very nice job on the songs he sings, especially Getcha Back and can sound like both Al and Carl. However, Good Vibes was better with Randall singing the lead.  I think Christian's talent level is on par with Kirsch , Farmer , maybe Cowsill etc.  I wouldn't expect any top 40 hits from him! His guitar is impossible to hear in the mix so its hard to judge that. He does a very good job at what he does in the band, but I can't see envision having a major career of his own.
Have you heard Too Cruel from Mike's new unreleased solo album? That could certainly be a hit.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
MBE
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2007, 02:42:04 AM »

Have you heard Too Cruel from Mike's new unreleased solo album? That could certainly be a hit.

Agreed that could be a hit. My girlfriend and I were talking about this when we saw Christian at the Beach Boys symphonic show this spring. She said it's kind of said that he is merely an auxiliary member in Mike's band when he obviously has his own talent. I replied true, but look at the exposure and work he gets that most unknown musicians would kill for. In other words I think that while he probably won't ever become a major name in music, he will get to perform for many more people with his dad then without.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2007, 02:32:01 PM »

I definitely agree with that statement MBE, he will definitely get chances to perform he wouldn't have gotten and he certainly adds something to Mike's band
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx