gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681017 Posts in 27627 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 16, 2024, 12:37:38 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Wilson driven negativity"  (Read 21255 times)
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2014, 03:49:14 AM »

I think The Beach Boys' story has already been written, with all the stereotypes and characterizations conveniently finding their places. Yeah, some of those stereotypes and characterizations can and will be disproven over time on forums such as message boards, books, and movies. Do they then become myths? In some cases, yes. However, that's just the beginning. It takes a long time for myths to then become truths. A long, long time.     
Nicko1234
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2014, 04:06:06 AM »

I think that the past year has proved that the haters are a minority (albeit a vocal one) and maybe Mike's wife would be better off remembering that.

As others have said, Brian's daughters will be performing at the ceremony along with other Beach Boys progeny and Matt Jardine has appeared on stage with the group this year. They clearly don't have an issue with Mike.

Also, the general public has continued to go out to watch the group in their droves and to them Mike is just the frontman of a legendary group. The vast majority of people couldn't care less about the politics...
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2014, 05:06:42 AM »

Guess we better all watch what we say seeing Utube and all internet angst directed against Mike Love is fueled from here and led by Smile Brian.  Roll Eyes

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2014, 06:34:16 AM »

Like the rest of The Beach Boys, Mike Love has been in the public eye for 50 years. That's half a century of performances, interviews, and actions which are well documented. If people do not like him, it isn't because they haven't been exposed to "who he is."

Nicko1234
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2014, 06:48:15 AM »

Like the rest of The Beach Boys, Mike Love has been in the public eye for 50 years. That's half a century of performances, interviews, and actions which are well documented. If people do not like him, it isn't because they haven't been exposed to "who he is."

Jimmy Savile was in the public eye for 50 years and many people did like him or he wouldn't have had such a successful career. They had no idea who he was.

Any famous person can have an image that can be far removed from reality.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2014, 09:00:42 AM »

Jimmy Savile was in the public eye for 50 years and many people did like him or he wouldn't have had such a successful career. They had no idea who he was.

That's got to be the stupidest fucking thing I've ever read on this site and that's saying something. The very mention of Savile invites readers to equate Mike with him and whatever sh*t Mike has done, he does not deserve it. The negativity is not Wilson-driven, it's driven by ignorance.
Nicko1234
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2014, 09:12:51 AM »

That's got to be the stupidest fucking thing I've ever read on this site and that's saying something. The very mention of Savile invites readers to equate Mike with him and whatever sh*t Mike has done, he does not deserve it. The negativity is not Wilson-driven, it's driven by ignorance.

Maybe you should actually read what I said again and think about it before you react. Think about the meaning and the context.

And FYI I have been criticized many times on this board as a 'Mike-defender'.

Other than that you may have a good point though. Cheesy

« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 09:20:30 AM by Nicko1234 » Logged
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2014, 09:40:21 AM »

Here's a wiki on the 'Society of Singers' and the Ella Award.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Society_of_Singers

Recipients

Ella Fitzgerald (1989)
    Frank Sinatra (1990)
    Tony Martin (1992)
    Peggy Lee (1994)
    Steve Lawrence and Eydie Gorme (1995)
    Lena Horne (1997)
    Rosemary Clooney (1998)
    Joe Williams (1999)
    Tony Bennett (2000)
    Julie Andrews (2001)
    Plácido Domingo (2002)
    Barry Manilow (2003)
    Celine Dion (2004)
    Elton John (2005)
    Johnny Mathis (2006)
    Gladys Knight (2007)
    Andy Williams (2008)
    Herb Alpert & Lani Hall (2009)
    Natalie Cole (2010)

It's a fundraiser at the end of the day, as well as an opportunity for the entertainment business to honor one of their own. It's a far far cry from the Kennedy Honors - it just is what it is. Get your tuxedo and smile for the camera. Honey, you look mahvelous.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2014, 10:05:24 AM »

Here's a wiki on the 'Society of Singers' and the Ella Award.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Society_of_Singers

Recipients

Ella Fitzgerald (1989)
    Frank Sinatra (1990)
    Tony Martin (1992)
    Peggy Lee (1994)
    Steve Lawrence and Eydie Gorme (1995)
    Lena Horne (1997)
    Rosemary Clooney (1998)
    Joe Williams (1999)
    Tony Bennett (2000)
    Julie Andrews (2001)
    Plácido Domingo (2002)
    Barry Manilow (2003)
    Celine Dion (2004)
    Elton John (2005)
    Johnny Mathis (2006)
    Gladys Knight (2007)
    Andy Williams (2008)
    Herb Alpert & Lani Hall (2009)
    Natalie Cole (2010)

It's a fundraiser at the end of the day, as well as an opportunity for the entertainment business to honor one of their own. It's a far far cry from the Kennedy Honors - it just is what it is. Get your tuxedo and smile for the camera. Honey, you look mahvelous.

Thanks for your informative post, Doo Dah. I really wasn't following the Society Of Singers/Ella Award aspect of this thread as close as I should have, focusing more on the yet-again bashing of Mike Love. But, hey, while it might not be the Kennedy Honors and the like, those previous winners of the Ella Award ain't chopped liver either! Mike can be proud to join that company. Congratulations!
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2014, 11:14:18 AM »

Maybe you should actually read what I said again and think about it before you react. Think about the meaning and the context.

And FYI I have been criticized many times on this board as a 'Mike-defender'.

Other than that you may have a good point though. Cheesy

It's pretty hard to read a dumb example like that in any other way and the context goes out of the window when you name check a paedophile.  Let's just say your choice of Savile was  stupid then and we can shake hands.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 11:20:36 AM by Smilin Ed H » Logged
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2014, 11:48:01 AM »

Just agree you over reacted and shake hands.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2014, 01:12:12 PM »

Guess we better all watch what we say seeing Utube and all internet angst directed against Mike Love is fueled from here and led by Smile Brian.  Roll Eyes
Sending more instructions to my youtube minions as we speak..... Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2014, 01:16:12 PM »

If you've ever looked at Mike Love's Facebook page, you can understand why his wife is upset.   
Nicko1234
« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2014, 02:07:03 PM »

It's pretty hard to read a dumb example like that in any other way and the context goes out of the window when you name check a paedophile.  Let's just say your choice of Savile was  stupid then and we can shake hands.

Name check? Hardly.

Of course context doesn't go out of the window and obviously people should be allowed to mention paedophiles. It was silence that allowed Savile to go to his grave a free man after all.

The point was that a person can have a public image which is completely different from who they really are. now an earlier poster indicated that they thought that because Mike may have a NEGATIVE public image and that he had handled himself badly in some interviews that the public 'know him' to some extent.

A negative public image does not necessarily make a negative person and the same goes for a positive public image.

This is something that athlete Michael Johnson has discussed with regard to Oscar Pistorius (is mentioning a man accused of murder more acceptable?  Tongue ) He knew that while the public image of him may have been of one thing, that the actual human being was something very different.

That's all. Mike may have a bad public image in some people's eyes but if they've never met him then they haven't got a clue what he is really like.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2014, 02:15:38 PM »

I have never heard of Mike being rude to any fans (and he wasn't to me) so maybe that should count for something.  I also recently received the Billy Hinche "24" Hours DVD and he seems to like him.  Also Ed Roach seems to (his wife Annie also congratulated Mike on his Facebook page), and I think if he had been such a nasty piece of work to Dennis and Brian and everyone else they or the Wilson family would not have anything to do with him, which is not the case.  I don't happen to agree with his vision of what the Beach Boys were or should be but I also don't think it should make him a hate figure with people who don't even know him.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2014, 02:26:59 PM »

If you've ever looked at Mike Love's Facebook page, you can understand why his wife is upset.   

I subscribe to all the Beach Boys' various pages, and there seems to be more positive than negative on Mike's page from his fans. The Beach Boys page may be a different matter. But there again, there are positive things written by people who like going to Mike's shows. His wife should try to focus on the positive, like the nice comments from Mike's band members. She's never going to get people to like her husband by telling people who like him to post nice things, because they already do. Perhaps they ought to delete the most flagrantly negative comments if they're that upsetting and block the people who liked his page just so they could post the nasty comments. I'm pretty sure Facebook allows that. As for the people making threats, report them to the police. The police and FBI take internet harassment very seriously these days.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2014, 02:43:01 PM »

I have never heard of Mike being rude to any fans (and he wasn't to me) so maybe that should count for something.

I remember a fan on a mailing list explaining how he knew Mike was an ass because Mike didn't smile enough while autographing a dozen items the fan shoved at him.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2014, 02:46:04 PM »

Mike bashing is a wonderful thing. It helps us to know those who appreciate the band for their music and those who are cultists (copyright Mike's the Greatest).

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2014, 04:18:18 PM »

I have never heard of Mike being rude to any fans (and he wasn't to me) so maybe that should count for something.  I also recently received the Billy Hinche "24" Hours DVD and he seems to like him.  Also Ed Roach seems to (his wife Annie also congratulated Mike on his Facebook page), and I think if he had been such a nasty piece of work to Dennis and Brian and everyone else they or the Wilson family would not have anything to do with him, which is not the case.  I don't happen to agree with his vision of what the Beach Boys were or should be but I also don't think it should make him a hate figure with people who don't even know him.

You know, Mike & I started out friends through Dennis, however, in the brief time in between meeting & my move west, their relationship became contentious - and I won't get into the reasons why, they are laid out in various books - look at the '68/'69 period.  Still, there existed a warmth between us for several years, and we were thrown together quite a bit between the road & my ex wife running Brother Studio.  However, when Dennis began his serious decent, I got labeled with a guilt by association, and not always unfairly.  Hell, if I couldn't have partied with the best of them, Dennis & I never would have been so close.  Still, Mike was among those that never could have comprehended the pain I went through, trying to save Dennis from himself.

As they say, time heals all wounds, and when I saw Mike backstage at the 50 show at The Hollywood Bowl, we had an interesting exchange.  I then spent over half an hour talking with Stan Love for the first time in years, & we covered quite a bit of our history together.  When Howie ran into Stan at the concert the next night, Stan had the greatest things to say to Howie about me!  I also had  run into Mike at LAX a few years back, and he took the time to introduce Jackie & I and ask how my life was going, so I'd say I think we all realize how lucky we are to be blessed with long, healthy lives, and maybe it's time to move on.

Now Mike posts a photo of mine on his website; maybe it's a new day!  https://www.facebook.com/roachclips68
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2014, 04:34:55 PM »

And I see you acknowledged Mike and his Ella Award, Ed.  Cool.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2014, 08:21:07 PM »

Mike has played a huge part in creating his public perception, a lot of the stuff people hate him for he actually did do.

It's how celebrity works, people always pick up on the negative. Mike rarely get's acknowledged for his incredible lyrics and singing but he get's bashed for Smile, Full House The RN'R Hall of Fame and basically being the reason The Beach Boys are a traveling fun fair act, it's pretty hard to defend those actions.

The 50th anniversary should have put him in the good books but instead he committed his biggest public faux pas, he "fired Brian Wilson".

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2014, 08:25:04 PM »

Mike has played a huge part in creating his public perception, a lot of the stuff people hate him for he actually did do.

It's how celebrity works, people always pick up on the negative. Mike rarely get's acknowledged for his incredible lyrics and singing but he get's bashed for Smile, Full House The RN'R Hall of Fame and basically being the reason The Beach Boys are a traveling fun fair act, it's pretty hard to defend those actions.

The 50th anniversary should have put him in the good books but instead he committed his biggest public faux pas, he "fired Brian Wilson".

Agreed. Not to mention he's responsible for SIP
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2014, 08:38:57 PM »

But who, outside of music fans, has even heard of SIP? It wasn't a big deal, just a little blip in the BBs long history.

bluesno1fann
« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2014, 08:42:45 PM »

But who, outside of music fans, has even heard of SIP? It wasn't a big deal, just a little blip in the BBs long history.

Baywatch fans would be familiar with one of the songs from SIP, as well as Full House fans.  LOL

But I guess you're right
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2014, 08:51:16 PM »

I would say it's kind of a big deal. I mean not huge, but even friends of mine that I've helped turn into Beach Boys fans, do recognize that before the C50 reunion, the last "active" Beach Boys (besides the Mike & Bruce show) they remember is the joke of a group that appeared on Full House and Home Improvement, and sang "Forever" with Jesse Katsopolis. So maybe not Summer In Paradise itself, but at least one recording from that album and the accompanying pathetic video and whatnot.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx