gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680994 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 13, 2024, 11:52:03 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love memoir due 2016  (Read 54954 times)
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: December 14, 2014, 04:21:41 PM »

I won't be shocked if a lot of stuff comes out but from Mike's side and then it will be discredited because Mike didn't bring it up before. Kind of a damned if he does and damned if he don't like is done with the uncredited songwriting.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #226 on: December 14, 2014, 05:38:15 PM »

It will surely be a hit in this forum - to bitch about every damn paragraph in the book you must BUY the book!  Cheesy

Hmmm. I think there are plenty of people in this forum that bitch without ever seeing, listening or reading!

They already have !

Wait, I thought we were talking about Mike's new book, not Brian's new album.  Smiley
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 07:40:13 PM by Empire Of Love » Logged

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 14, 2014, 06:18:26 PM »

I won't be shocked if a lot of stuff comes out but from Mike's side and then it will be discredited because Mike didn't bring it up before. Kind of a damned if he does and damned if he don't like is done with the uncredited songwriting.
So glad you won't be shocked. Whew, that's a load off everyone's mind. Now, let's have a moment of silence for poor, poor, pitiful Mike who could care less while laughing all the way to the bank.  Roll Eyes

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 14, 2014, 07:45:19 PM »

So glad you won't be shocked. Whew, that's a load off everyone's mind. Now, let's have a moment of silence for poor, poor, pitiful Mike who could care less while laughing all the way to the bank.  Roll Eyes

Always a pleasure to read your well reasoned bloviating as well.   Kiss

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 14, 2014, 08:25:00 PM »

Always happy to oblige anytime! Hello

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 14, 2014, 08:31:00 PM »

Note to self: Start collection of Mott-isms for posterity

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 15, 2014, 01:23:49 PM »

I am looking forward to the book, but I doubt there's much that is not already known.  I hope Mike Love has the good sense not to go into all the gory details of bad behavior fueled by alcohol and drug abuse.

If he just wrote something like: "everybody knows about the personal problems we all had over the years and all the negative stuff and infighting, it's all been written before, and there's no need to re-hash it here", that might work for everybody. I mean, it can't be totally ignored since it did have a damaging effect on the band, but it's known and accepted at this point. Maybe I'm expecting too much. Hope lingers.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 15, 2014, 01:36:09 PM »

I am looking forward to the book, but I doubt there's much that is not already known.  I hope Mike Love has the good sense not to go into all the gory details of bad behavior fueled by alcohol and drug abuse.

If he just wrote something like: "everybody knows about the personal problems we all had over the years and all the negative stuff and infighting, it's all been written before, and there's no need to re-hash it here", that might work for everybody. I mean, it can't be totally ignored since it did have a damaging effect on the band, but it's known and accepted at this point. Maybe I'm expecting too much. Hope lingers.

I think this is expecting too much. I do wonder if Mike thinks there are any self-inflicted blights on his record (beyond the obvious Rock and Roll Hall of Fame speech) that he would, while still perhaps partially defending, would also admit were untactful or just plain uncool - because the hope is that a modicum of awareness would help him not repeat such in the book.  For example, I would like very much to think that Mike and his people are now aware that it's not in his best interest to come off (in the book) as he did when talking about the Wilsons on "Lifestyles of the Rick and Famous".
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #233 on: December 15, 2014, 02:16:57 PM »

And the point of Mike's booklet would then be?  He's gotta deliver some 'goods.'...not some good.  Things, as they happened, and as seen through the eyes of Mike Love.  The perspective will be unique to the extreme.  And it'll be an honest assessment of how it all went down.  At least honest from Mike's point of view.

Mike's perspective may well be an interesting 'take' bound to stir up controversy and debate.  As for mending fences?  I don't think we'll see ANY of that.  No...it's going to be quite the opposite.  THAT'll sell books and Mr. Love will be ALL ABOUT selling those books.  This time he really will be delivering 'words' if not lyrics and as those words have the potential to put dollars in his pocket it's gonna be a whole lot more than just  "she's givin' me excitations."

I hope the book comes with free bonus hooks and fishing line...maybe even a good, strong, sturdy stick.  It'll be a serious can of worms we'll open when it arrives.  Folks here will go crazy.  There'll be people banned left right and centre.  The damage to the Beach Boys universe could well be mortal in terms of the wound this tale could inflict.  But Mike won't care.  He'll be too busy cashing the cheques.  [and laughing at us. LOL]
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 02:19:16 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #234 on: December 15, 2014, 02:24:35 PM »

It'll certainly be a hilarious shitstorm here when it comes out, but I'll doubt he'll get a check after the advance. There's not really going to be much interest in his tome among an audience bigger than Beach Boys fans... it's just not a very compelling story. I didn't do drugs, my cousins did, TM is the best = zzzzzzzzz.

Where's the hook? The comeback to root for, the angle an Oprah would exploit or streaming media Larry King would feign interest in?

LARRY: "So you didn't do drugs."

MIKE: "Nope."

LARRY: "We'll be right back after this commercial for my own show."

I mean, can you picture him telling the truth about however may wives he had or something for example? Which abusive dad do you think he'll be more honest about and talk about more... Murry or Milton? Made4tv fake doctors with talk shows are not going to look kindly at all the finger-pointing... and the total lack of the sort of lacerating oh woe is me look how bad I was but now I'm saved self-reflection that sells this kind of bookslop.

On the plus side, unsold copies can be pulped and recycled into more Twilight books...

THE BEACH BOYS AND THE ENVIRONMENT THANK YOU!

It'll be a laugh a minute romp here, of course! We can do 20 pages of threadage over someone naming an incorrect date. I don't envy the jobs his co-writer and according to someone who would knows have.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 02:46:35 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 16, 2014, 04:19:50 AM »

I didn't know where to put this, and I didn't want to start a new thread, so I'll just put it here.  Apologies if it's been brought up.  I just read a short interview by Andy Greene in Rolling Stone with Ringo about him getting inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, and there was a brief Beach Boys / Mike Love mention.

AG: Tell me your memories of the 1988 ceremony when the Beatles got inducted.
RS: 1988 was a long time ago, I'm afraid. It was a big dinner with a lot of people. Mick [Jagger] was there. It's interesting that you do those gigs and you bump into a lot of people you haven't met in a long time, so that's always good.

AG: Do you recall Mike Love's speech that night?
RS: I don't. Did he mention me?

AG: He chewed out most people in the room, including the Beatles, and said that Mick Jagger was too "chickenshit" to get on stage with the Beach Boys.
RS: Yeah. I don't really ever listen to what he has to say [laughs].  LOL

https://www.yahoo.com/music/s/ringo-starr-hall-fame-induction-finally-four-us-065100554-rolling-stone.html

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 16, 2014, 05:43:38 AM »

I didn't know where to put this, and I didn't want to start a new thread, so I'll just put it here.  Apologies if it's been brought up.  I just read a short interview by Andy Greene in Rolling Stone with Ringo about him getting inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, and there was a brief Beach Boys / Mike Love mention.

AG: Tell me your memories of the 1988 ceremony when the Beatles got inducted.
RS: 1988 was a long time ago, I'm afraid. It was a big dinner with a lot of people. Mick [Jagger] was there. It's interesting that you do those gigs and you bump into a lot of people you haven't met in a long time, so that's always good.

AG: Do you recall Mike Love's speech that night?
RS: I don't. Did he mention me?

AG: He chewed out most people in the room, including the Beatles, and said that Mick Jagger was too "chickenshit" to get on stage with the Beach Boys.
RS: Yeah. I don't really ever listen to what he has to say [laughs].  LOL

https://www.yahoo.com/music/s/ringo-starr-hall-fame-induction-finally-four-us-065100554-rolling-stone.html
Saw this early this morning and wondered how long it would be before the link would appear here.  I laughed when I saw it.  Ringo played onstage with them in DC in 1984, so Ringo knows it is innocuous and takes it in stride.  Great for Ringo! He seems like a really great, humble guy. Congrats to The Beatles!   Love
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #237 on: December 16, 2014, 05:53:15 AM »

That would look great on the back cover.

"I don't really ever listen to what he has to say." - Ringo Starr

It would show how Mike Love takes it in stride.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 16, 2014, 06:06:37 AM »

Good Morning ontor,

I had one of my kids in 1988, who is 26. 

As long as they put the date in. (Someone said something in 1988!) And, it looks ridiculous, in my opinion. Give it context and see what "news value" it has.

You wanna have your face stuck in something you said in 1988? I don't. (And don't know your age.)

This is "only a movie" and if people get their "knickers in a twist" over something said 26 years ago, what does that say about them?

Go Ringo!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 16, 2014, 06:26:30 AM »

Good Morning ontor,

As long as they put the date in. (Someone said something in 1988!) And, it looks ridiculous, in my opinion. Give it context and see what "news value" it has.

You wanna have your face stuck in something you said in 1988? I don't. (And don't know your age.)

This is "only a movie" and if people get their "knickers in a twist" over something said 26 years ago, what does that say about them?

Go Ringo!

You should simply let go, and not feel you need to pick everytime Ontor posts

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #240 on: December 16, 2014, 06:30:06 AM »

I think Mike should embrace Ringo not ever listening to what he has to say. It's a cute Ringo-ism, makes light of the whole thing. He's a mocker! Put it on the book, casually mention the Beatles in India. WIN/WIN.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 06:31:51 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: December 16, 2014, 06:30:21 AM »

It is kind of weird that many people who have a dislike for Mike Love, point to his drunken rambling at that 1988 R&RHOF speech, and say, "See what a pr*ck he is?", and here's Ringo, who was there, and was one of the targets of Mike's ramblings, and he doesn't even remember it.  I did think Ringo's comment was funny, though.  I was the only person in a large room full of office cubicles when I read it, and I laughed out loud.

P.S.
I hope nobody thinks I posted that comment just to start another war, or keep the fighting going, or whatever.  That's the last thing I want, ferchristssake.  I just thought it was funny.
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 16, 2014, 06:33:14 AM »

He's a mocker!

That's a good one.  Not a mod or a rocker.  LOL
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 16, 2014, 06:34:39 AM »

And it's worth noting, of course, that Ringo did not make the statement in 1988.
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 16, 2014, 06:35:40 AM »

And it's worth noting, of course, that Ringo did not make the statement in 1988.

I think that's clear.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 16, 2014, 06:42:48 AM »

I think that's clear.

Yes, I thought so too, but I am somewhat unclear on a post above which appears to reference Ringo's quote and concludes, "Someone said something in 1988!"
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 16, 2014, 06:43:45 AM »

Good Morning ontor,

Go Ringo!

You should simply let go, and not feel you need to pick everytime Ontor posts
Not so, bgas.

It seems that ontor and I are on much better footing. (I hope.)  And, I was not picking on him, or really adversarial, just offering a context.  A quarter of a century.  Some posters weren't even born then, and this isn't about ageism.  It's context.

His post was actually measured.

But, seriously, how long is anyone accountable for a 26 year old quote, notwithstanding it is from a somewhat public person.  

Suppose George Clooney said something in 1988.  What merit is it given in 2014?  The issue is that Ringo is a winner this year, and should be the focus, in my view.  
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: December 16, 2014, 07:03:12 AM »

I suppose it's because there's a difference between some off-hand remark that one makes privately and a speech that would have been somewhat planned out and given at an official forum. And furthermore, the speech would become especially meaningful if it was part of a pattern of similar behaviour and remarks, rather than something out of character. Again, if it were out of character, one could say that the person was having an off-moment.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #248 on: December 16, 2014, 07:45:46 AM »

And the point of Mike's booklet would then be?  He's gotta deliver some 'goods.'...not some good.  Things, as they happened, and as seen through the eyes of Mike Love.  The perspective will be unique to the extreme.  And it'll be an honest assessment of how it all went down.  At least honest from Mike's point of view.

Mike's perspective may well be an interesting 'take' bound to stir up controversy and debate.  As for mending fences?  I don't think we'll see ANY of that.  No...it's going to be quite the opposite.  THAT'll sell books and Mr. Love will be ALL ABOUT selling those books.  This time he really will be delivering 'words' if not lyrics and as those words have the potential to put dollars in his pocket it's gonna be a whole lot more than just  "she's givin' me excitations."

I hope the book comes with free bonus hooks and fishing line...maybe even a good, strong, sturdy stick.  It'll be a serious can of worms we'll open when it arrives.  Folks here will go crazy.  There'll be people banned left right and centre.  The damage to the Beach Boys universe could well be mortal in terms of the wound this tale could inflict.  But Mike won't care.  He'll be too busy cashing the cheques.  [and laughing at us. LOL]

Try taking those mental blinkers off. As it stands, you don't have the first idea. Not. A. Clue.

Like I said, the more I learn of this project (which, never forget, is a good eighteen months from publication), the more interesting I feel it will be. Will it upset some posters here ? For sure... but not the way you're thinking. Several folk here shouldn't bother with it in any case, because they've already made up their minds, or such minds as they have.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #249 on: December 16, 2014, 07:50:33 AM »

True. LOL

But...I AM allowed to guess.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx