gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680938 Posts in 27621 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 09, 2024, 10:59:59 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Original Smile cover  (Read 5960 times)
earcandy
Smiley Smile Associate

"Humor, too, is one of His creations."

View Profile
« on: May 30, 2011, 08:15:32 PM »

http://www.thebeatlesbutchershop.com/BEACH-BOYS-SMILE.html
You can now get a recreation of the Smile album.

AGD: "For foder's sake don't encourage him !"
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 08:35:25 PM »

Where's the Bri-man on that back cover?

No mas, por favor.
Jason
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 08:42:38 PM »

It's a picture of the touring band. I believe it's a shot from sometime in mid-66.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 08:56:58 PM »

Taking bets on how long it will take the attorneys to send the Cease and Desist order to the folks printing that stuff...

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 09:38:02 AM »

Where's the Bri-man on that back cover?

I've often wondered if that photo was a placeholder and would have been replaced with a photo of all six Beach Boys. The booklet does indicate that Brian was being kept isolated from the other band members on purpose - an idea that was carried through with the 20/20 cover. Personally, I think the photo of Brian holding the mirror which reflects the other band members would have been the perfect choice for a SMiLE back cover photo.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 11:54:38 AM »

So for $29 you get a repro sleeve? Few years back I got similar for less and it came with three coloured vinyl LPs, repro AFM sheets and a fold-out poster of the cover!

What's their USP?

“We live in divisive times.”
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 12:09:22 PM »

I love the back cover. Something about that black and white picture surrounded by those astrological signs....
JJ3810
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 11:47:30 AM »

Just got one of these today and it's really a nice job. Just one complaint - "Heroes and Villians" is misspelled as "Heroes and Villans" on the back cover. That and the font for the catalog number is off just a bit. Other than the slicks that I bought WAY back when, this is the nicest I've seen.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 11:56:23 AM »

Just got one of these today and it's really a nice job. Just one complaint - "Heroes and Villians" is misspelled as "Heroes and Villans" on the back cover. That and the font for the catalog number is off just a bit. Other than the slicks that I bought WAY back when, this is the nicest I've seen.

They misspelled it on purpose as a marker.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 11:59:13 AM »

Maybe I'm a tightwad, but I just can't see sending these folks $29 when something official (and possibly better) will likely be available from Capitol in just a few months.  

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 12:01:44 PM »

Maybe so.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 12:34:25 PM »

Other than the slicks that I bought WAY back when, this is the nicest I've seen.

So these new ones are better or pretty much the same quality as the SMiLE slicks that were re-printed in the 80's?  Same size complete with markers and Mfr. and everything?

I doubt very much they'll include new "suitable for framing" slicks for the new SMiLE release.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 12:37:45 PM »

Other than the slicks that I bought WAY back when, this is the nicest I've seen.

So these new ones are better or pretty much the same quality as the SMiLE slicks that were re-printed in the 80's?  Same size complete with markers and Mfr. and everything?

I doubt very much they'll include new "suitable for framing" slicks for the new SMiLE release.

I've heard they're including new ones in the CD sets, CD size

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 12:41:42 PM »

Really, Bgas?  So the Frank Holmes artwork has been confirmed for the new release?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2011, 12:46:15 PM »

Over apart from that - and maybe this is related - is Frank Holmes no longer selling his prints of the front cover? I bought one from him back in 2004, there was a link from the old Smile Shop.  This looks like a copy of a copy of a copy.

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
earcandy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2011, 12:53:04 PM »

Over apart from that - and maybe this is related - is Frank Holmes no longer selling his prints of the front cover? I bought one from him back in 2004, there was a link from the old Smile Shop.  This looks like a copy of a copy of a copy.

Yep, I also bought one in 2004...but the site selling those is no longer up.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2011, 01:06:09 PM »

I bought a signed SMiLE print of the front cover from Frank in 2004. He also presented all of his artwork in a gallery setting a couple of times since then, but he's no longer offering them for sale on the internet.

Frank's prints were the clearest and sharpest of the SMiLE artwork that I've seen to date.

earcandy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2011, 01:19:37 PM »

I bought a signed SMiLE print of the front cover from Frank in 2004. He also presented all of his artwork in a gallery setting a couple of times since then, but he's no longer offering them for sale on the internet.

Frank's prints were the clearest and sharpest of the SMiLE artwork that I've seen to date.

FYI, these "new" covers are scans of Frank's 2004 prints.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2011, 01:40:58 PM »

So are these copies from your Frank Holmes prints, Earcandy?  Are these $29 offerings yours?

earcandy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2011, 02:21:07 PM »

So are these copies from your Frank Holmes prints, Earcandy?  Are these $29 offerings yours?

Nope, not mine.  But I did interview the guy for the last issue of EAR CANDY:
http://www.earcandymag.com/beatlesbutchershop-0511.htm

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2011, 02:39:42 PM »

Nope, not mine.  But I did interview the guy for the last issue of EAR CANDY:
http://www.earcandymag.com/beatlesbutchershop-0511.htm

I wonder how the sales for these are going, given that some people are probably waiting to see whether the Sessions set includes one, before they drop $29 on this one.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2011, 03:18:18 PM »

Bgas. What makes you think they will include a replica 12" x 12" Smile cover print, or even a poster of it with the new Smile release?

earcandy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2011, 03:51:02 PM »

Bgas. What makes you think they will include a replica 12" x 12" Smile cover print, or even a poster of it with the new Smile release?
Plus, any "new" version (if they do release it as 12") would have a bar code and a new copyright number just like the 2004 BWPS vinyl.

Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2011, 11:26:45 PM »

I have one of the Smile slicks I bought from Frank in the late 1990's.  Tis very purdy.  I got it framed and it bears the following signatures:
Frank Homes (signed when I purchased it)
Brian Wilson (signed it in Edmonton Jan 30, 2004)
Mike Love and Bruce Johnston (signed it in Calgary Sept 21, 2006)
Al Jardine (signed it in Las Vegas April 4, 2008)

My only regret is that when I met Van Dyke Parks in LA in 2007 I didn't have the slick with me to add his signature.  I did get him to sign my BWPS cd though.  I haven't given up hope of getting his autograph on the slick yet. 

A few minutes after Al signed it, some dude offered me $1,000 cash for it and I turned him down.  I still think I made the right decision.  Everyday I walk by it and it makes me SMiLE.   Can't wait for the new SMiLE box!  Never thought I'd live to see the day.
JJ3810
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2011, 12:44:02 AM »

EARCANDY:
Plus, any "new" version (if they do release it as 12") would have a bar code and a new copyright number just like the 2004 BWPS vinyl.

That's a great point. I"m VERY happy with the cover I received and 'THANK YOU" very much for the link. How many of us have vinyl boots that came with less than accurate cover reproductions?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 12:45:38 AM by JJ3810 » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx