gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680911 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 08, 2024, 09:57:52 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 104 105 106 [107] 108 109 110 111 112 ... 141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The return of the "What are you listening to now?" thread  (Read 817247 times)
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #2650 on: April 05, 2016, 01:22:07 AM »

Damn you Cream I've tried to like you so many times but you're mostly just boring blues workouts or obnoxious drum solos and that album is no different other than maybe a song or two but that album cover totally sells you on something that isn't present damn you Eric Clapton you're a terrible racist god and your solo albums are only liked by middle-aged fathers who wear running shoes everywhere

I'd find it hard to disagree.
KDS
« Reply #2651 on: April 05, 2016, 05:23:22 AM »

Damn you Cream I've tried to like you so many times but you're mostly just boring blues workouts or obnoxious drum solos and that album is no different other than maybe a song or two but that album cover totally sells you on something that isn't present damn you Eric Clapton you're a terrible racist god and your solo albums are only liked by middle-aged fathers who wear running shoes everywhere

I'd find it hard to disagree.

I won't disagree with the assessment of many of EC's solo albums, especially mid 80s onward.

But, IMO, Disraeli Gears is a great album.  I think EC works best in a band ie. Yarbirds, John Mayall, Cream, Blind Faith, Derek and the Dominoes.  And he did some great work with those albums. 

Also, vastly underrated, Eric Clapton played on Roger Waters's first solo album - The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking.  Probably Eric's best guitarwork of the 80s. 
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #2652 on: April 05, 2016, 09:54:06 AM »

Kate Bush remains wonderful.

She certainly does.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 11:00:08 AM by john k » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Rentatris
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2653 on: April 08, 2016, 05:36:30 PM »

Get Yourself High - The Chemical Brothers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DKEthGMEJw

Pet Sounds, SMiLE, Love You, Adult/Child
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2654 on: April 09, 2016, 09:39:26 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPPNekBgy3o&nohtml5=False

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2655 on: April 09, 2016, 01:02:46 PM »

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2656 on: April 09, 2016, 03:27:31 PM »

"I Don't Know" is very good.  I also played "Step Into the Dark" and "Slip'n" - that sounds a bit like Prefab Sprout through the 3:20 mark, then goes off into what seems to be a different song.  By the time I got to my last pick, "Chill Out," it was sounding same-y.  Made for good 6pm Cocktail music, which is what I'm doing.  Night's about to fall...time to Rock!  It's Saturday you know.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2657 on: April 09, 2016, 03:32:02 PM »

The Band's first two albums!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2658 on: April 09, 2016, 04:25:50 PM »

"I Don't Know" is very good.  I also played "Step Into the Dark" and "Slip'n" - that sounds a bit like Prefab Sprout through the 3:20 mark, then goes off into what seems to be a different song.  By the time I got to my last pick, "Chill Out," it was sounding same-y.  Made for good 6pm Cocktail music, which is what I'm doing.  Night's about to fall...time to Rock!  It's Saturday you know.
They're a very mellow band. Only recently go into them. Their other album has a song called "Brain Dead" that's pretty good, too. Smiley

KDS
« Reply #2659 on: April 09, 2016, 10:05:38 PM »

It's been a while, but I'm listening to Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers Echo album. 
Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2660 on: April 10, 2016, 06:22:21 AM »

I'm starting to get into a 60's band, Os Mutantes. And, there's a band called All Dogs that has a song I'm really digging right now, "That Kind Of Girl".  The other tracks of theirs that I've listened to are ok, not as good as this one though.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2661 on: April 10, 2016, 06:33:30 AM »

I'm starting to get into a 60's band, Os Mutantes.

They were the primary influence for a lot of the Elephant 6 bands of the mid-to-late '90s through early '00s, especially Of Montreal in their The Gay Parade and Coquelicot Asleep in the Poppies albums and the Olivia Tremor Control. I never really was able to translate my love for Of Montreal into theirs for Os Mutantes, but they're absolutely substantial.

Somebody here absolutely loves Os Mutantes ... but for the life of me, I can't recall who it is!

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2662 on: April 10, 2016, 06:37:10 AM »

The Real Beach Boy!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2663 on: April 10, 2016, 08:10:10 AM »

I'm starting to get into a 60's band, Os Mutantes.

They were the primary influence for a lot of the Elephant 6 bands of the mid-to-late '90s through early '00s, especially Of Montreal in their The Gay Parade and Coquelicot Asleep in the Poppies albums and the Olivia Tremor Control. I never really was able to translate my love for Of Montreal into theirs for Os Mutantes, but they're absolutely substantial.

Somebody here absolutely loves Os Mutantes ... but for the life of me, I can't recall who it is!

Well, the music is kind of out there, so I like it! Except for the fact that I can't understand what they're saying.
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2664 on: April 10, 2016, 12:25:14 PM »

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2665 on: April 11, 2016, 02:38:18 AM »

I'm listening to another album of theirs----Canicular Days. Wonderful stuff to drift off on.

And before that...?

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: April 11, 2016, 04:29:31 AM »

SUMMERTEETH   Wilco

HEADQUARTERS  The Monkees
KDS
« Reply #2667 on: April 11, 2016, 06:59:03 AM »

Took some time to listen to the new Iron Maiden album - Book of Souls yesterday afternoon.

It's a long album (over 90 minutes, with three songs over ten minutes), so there's a lot to take in.  I've listened to it 4-5 times, and I'm liking it more and more with each listen.
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2668 on: April 11, 2016, 10:35:47 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Buds0_KykOA

I mostly enjoy the album cover.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2669 on: April 12, 2016, 04:57:52 PM »

I'm going through my newest purchases.

Bach's Bottom by Alex Chilton is a great album for the simple reason it's great fun to listen to. It doesn't aspire to be the peak of artistic expression; it's just a thing someone made while having fun in the studio. I hope his other albums--whenever I manage to find them--more or less resemble this one. 

20 Jazz Funk Greats by Throbbing Gristle. Maybe I've been misinterpreting its reputation, but there's no reason to fear this album. I was expecting scary industrial music, but what I heard was cool, early electronic experiments. I mean, yeah, the song subjects are bizarre, but the music ain't bad.

Sorry Ma, Forgot to Take Out the Trash by The Replacements. More punk than I was expecting, but it's good. It's good. I was surprised to hear how talented these guys are at such an early stage. Paul Westerberg is already a great, consisten songwriter, and that guitar player of his, Bob Stinson, surprised me a couple times with his ability. I'm predicting big things between me and this band.

Suicide by Suicide. This album is sooo cooool. You would think an album made up of keyboard and vocals would get tiresome, but it just sounds so good. It sounds so right. Every song plays like it's a soundtrack to a tense moment in a movie. Even in the diverse, weird NY punk scene, this album is unique. The only thing stopping me from listening more often is "Frankie Teardrop". That can be a tough one.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 05:03:00 PM by Bubs » Logged
yonderhillside
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2670 on: April 12, 2016, 05:04:34 PM »

If you like Bach's Bottom, check out Like Flies On Sherbert. 'Tis my favorite of Chilton's post-Big Star era.
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2671 on: April 12, 2016, 11:40:47 PM »

The Buttertones - "Tequila Mockingbird"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbrb_XZi-2M

inching towards surf-indie rock season...

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2672 on: April 13, 2016, 10:13:57 PM »

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2673 on: April 14, 2016, 03:00:00 AM »

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2674 on: April 14, 2016, 11:50:41 AM »

Thanks to my Discover Weekly Playlist...

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 104 105 106 [107] 108 109 110 111 112 ... 141 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx