gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680949 Posts in 27622 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 09, 2024, 05:43:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Smiley Smile
5 - 104 (47.1%)
4 - 53 (24%)
3 - 38 (17.2%)
2 - 16 (7.2%)
1 - 5 (2.3%)
0 - 5 (2.3%)
Total Voters: 201

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Smiley Smile  (Read 231833 times)
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #775 on: July 06, 2012, 06:28:32 PM »

It used to scared me so much..it was so bizarre ..I look at Smiley Smile as Smile's mentally ill & evil little sister Smiley you might think it's strange but you gotta love it no matter what. lol(it just takes hell of time to get used to it and takes you to a dark atmosphere..i suggest you never listen to this during an acid trip lol)
Reddiwhip
Smiley Smile Associate

Pop those buttons right off of my shirt

View Profile
« Reply #776 on: August 24, 2012, 02:49:57 PM »

I always like to tweak Smiley Smile / Wild Honey / Friends so that I get a more Hawaiian, more lush feel.  This tracklist also has some of the best chanting on record:

Heroes and Villains
Can't Wait Too Long
Little Pad
Diamond Head
Surf's Up (autumn 1967 demo)
Good Vibrations
With Me Tonight
Passing By
Let the Wind Blow
Whistle In
Cool, Cool Water (autumn 1967 version)

"Big Sur?"  "Nope, big mama!"  "HAHAHAHA.  What the hell does that mean?"

While at port adieu or die
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #777 on: August 24, 2012, 03:05:32 PM »

I actually think it's worse when listening in an altered state. For a Beach Boys album, it's pretty 'dark' in spots.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #778 on: October 03, 2012, 12:25:06 AM »

It is indeed an inferior product to what was produced for Smile but on its own merits, it is a 5-star album.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #779 on: October 10, 2012, 12:41:13 PM »

I always like to tweak Smiley Smile / Wild Honey / Friends so that I get a more Hawaiian, more lush feel.  This tracklist also has some of the best chanting on record:

Heroes and Villains
Can't Wait Too Long
Little Pad
Diamond Head
Surf's Up (autumn 1967 demo)
Good Vibrations
With Me Tonight
Passing By
Let the Wind Blow
Whistle In
Cool, Cool Water (autumn 1967 version)
Thanks for giving your self-made tracklist here, Reddiwhip! I'll definitely check it out! Good to see Can't Wait Too Long in your comp!
That's one hip album right there!

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #780 on: November 28, 2012, 09:51:20 PM »

I'd always liked this LP for what it was because I didn't know the backstory when I bought it in 67.  Just thought it was ultra-psychedelic in a lo-fi "Virgin Fugs" kind of way, with the big band numbers to give it heft.  Didn't they mean it to sound like that in the first place?  Well didn't they?

Once I heard it with more open ears, on better gear, I still loved it but I could hear something that left me cold, maybe Brian's couldn't care less approach.

But now we have the new mono/stereo remaster, which is why I'm back.  Maybe it was my older player, but the new HDCD mono master sounds fine, quite lush, not as cold and distant (as does the prior two-fer; maybe it's the same mono remastering).

But the stereo (with the exception noted below) is an absolute eye- and ear-opener for me.  I know a lot of the cognoscenti including Ian hate it.  But I like like like it in stereo.  I love things like "Vegetables", "With Me Tonight"  and "Little Pad" all spread out, with all the detail.  The greatest revelation is "Fall Breaks", which intrigues me again as a piece of music and not just a "Fire" rewrite.  I love the little cross-channel ping-pong stuff Mark throws in throughout; though done in 2012 it makes the whole thing sound even more like the summer of 1967. Warm and clean.  I will be playing this one a lot.  The fake stereo GV I can ignore if I don't play it with headphones.   Well they gave it a shot I guess. I do NOT hear the bad edits some claim, and I have A/B'ed the stereo and mono versions, and checked the LP too.

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
Manchini
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #781 on: November 29, 2012, 07:44:35 PM »

What's a Hitchclock?

The god damned stupid fucking word filter. Glad my review was so interesting that the word filter's bullshittery was the only bit deemed worthwhile!  Wink
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #782 on: February 20, 2013, 02:33:56 PM »

Really depressing album. The versions of Wonderful and Wind Chimes here are just horrid when you compare them to the versions on Smile Sessions... I wouldn't say it's a terrible album but it's definitely uncomfortable to listen to. Even the classics like Heroes And Villains and Good Vibrations are kinda shrouded in the dark atmosphere the album creates. Gah... it's a tough listen.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Les Garçons de la plage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #783 on: February 24, 2013, 10:01:12 AM »

Time has only improved this album, probably not the most praised of its time during the late 1960s. And not depressing, what on earth is depressing about this album? Just listened to the stereo version at Spotify, hmmmm should I invest in an actual CD (I don't buy almost no records these days...)?
5/5
Heteronym
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #784 on: February 26, 2013, 08:54:40 AM »

I love Smiley Smile.

Yes, maybe Brian was acting as if he couldn't care less, but there's more to it in the story. Why did he chose those arrangements, why those songs, who those voices? He had an ideia, a plan. Smiley Smile, at least for me, was never a random record. It means a lot and it's a great prove of Wilson's genius.

The biggest crime that Smiley Smile (did not) commit was not being SMiLe. If the fans can overlook this and face the album for WHAT IT IS they'll find an amazing piece of psychedelic music, full of incredible harmonies and sparkles of genius. The concept was too different than anything Brian had ever recorded. There is no use in trying to find the original Wonderful in the SS version, thus the latter should not be blamed in the comparison (can you guys imagine what it'd be like for the angelical Wonderful to come up with its harpsichord in the middle of Smiley Smile? It wouldn't work within the album). What, I guess, most people didn't get at the time (and a lot of them still don't) is that the whole concept changed. SS was never supposed to be SMiLe. Brian might as well have changed the name of the songs and given the album a different name (though I love the actual one), but he didn't, and the hype over the original Smile was a luggage too heavy for any other albums to carry.

Musical context often f*** things up. If SS hadn't come as a "replacement" or anything after months of expectation for Smile and maybe if Brian was together with the psychedelic musicians in the UK (of course the american fans who were Dancing, Dancing, Dancing and singing Wouldn't It Be Nice couldn't accept anything different than that), this album would get a lot more recognition. It's fucking awesome and goes to show how Syd Barret got nothing on the sunny, dumb and funny Beach Boys.

That being said, I of course understand the confusion Smiley must have caused at the time. But, oh, well, screw it! Screw the context. I'm listening to this thing 40 years after its released and sounds great. I don't care about "what Brian should have done to please the public of 1967" nor things like that. Musical quality is the most important thing and Brian would go on to record another two amazing albums that maybe didn't have any similarity to what people were listening at the time (Wild Honey and Friends). And thank God he did!

Smiley Smile is one the best albums of the 60's, as SMiLe itself would have been too, but in a different category. Maybe in a more "pop" category and everything, but that doesn't make it BETTER. They are so different. There is no use in comparing how one is beautifully produced and the other is a bunch of stoned guys playing in their living room. The concepts are almost opposites.

As for the tracks:

Yeah, I feel Good Vibrations shouldn't be there, but I can live with that because it's got that great weirdness into it. I found it incredible how the harmonies pretty much make the songs all alone. They carry the whole thing and it's great. Wind Chimes, Fall Breaks, Wind Chimes, Little Pad...maybe that was the BB's harmony at its peak. How can one not be blown away?!

On, and by the way, I've read some post talking about the Mutantes' first album. Yes!! If you like Smiley Smile, you'll love Os Mutantes. They are from Brazil and get a lot of praise in the UK (just like The Beach Boys! The hell with the "american band" stigma!)
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #785 on: March 03, 2013, 12:28:12 AM »

I love Smiley Smile.

Yes, maybe Brian was acting as if he couldn't care less, but there's more to it in the story. Why did he chose those arrangements, why those songs, who those voices? He had an ideia, a plan. Smiley Smile, at least for me, was never a random record. It means a lot and it's a great prove of Wilson's genius.

The biggest crime that Smiley Smile (did not) commit was not being SMiLe. If the fans can overlook this and face the album for WHAT IT IS they'll find an amazing piece of psychedelic music, full of incredible harmonies and sparkles of genius. The concept was too different than anything Brian had ever recorded. There is no use in trying to find the original Wonderful in the SS version, thus the latter should not be blamed in the comparison (can you guys imagine what it'd be like for the angelical Wonderful to come up with its harpsichord in the middle of Smiley Smile? It wouldn't work within the album). What, I guess, most people didn't get at the time (and a lot of them still don't) is that the whole concept changed. SS was never supposed to be SMiLe. Brian might as well have changed the name of the songs and given the album a different name (though I love the actual one), but he didn't, and the hype over the original Smile was a luggage too heavy for any other albums to carry.

Musical context often f*** things up. If SS hadn't come as a "replacement" or anything after months of expectation for Smile and maybe if Brian was together with the psychedelic musicians in the UK (of course the american fans who were Dancing, Dancing, Dancing and singing Wouldn't It Be Nice couldn't accept anything different than that), this album would get a lot more recognition. It's fucking awesome and goes to show how Syd Barret got nothing on the sunny, dumb and funny Beach Boys.

That being said, I of course understand the confusion Smiley must have caused at the time. But, oh, well, screw it! Screw the context. I'm listening to this thing 40 years after its released and sounds great. I don't care about "what Brian should have done to please the public of 1967" nor things like that. Musical quality is the most important thing and Brian would go on to record another two amazing albums that maybe didn't have any similarity to what people were listening at the time (Wild Honey and Friends). And thank God he did!

Smiley Smile is one the best albums of the 60's, as SMiLe itself would have been too, but in a different category. Maybe in a more "pop" category and everything, but that doesn't make it BETTER. They are so different. There is no use in comparing how one is beautifully produced and the other is a bunch of stoned guys playing in their living room. The concepts are almost opposites.

As for the tracks:

Yeah, I feel Good Vibrations shouldn't be there, but I can live with that because it's got that great weirdness into it. I found it incredible how the harmonies pretty much make the songs all alone. They carry the whole thing and it's great. Wind Chimes, Fall Breaks, Wind Chimes, Little Pad...maybe that was the BB's harmony at its peak. How can one not be blown away?!

On, and by the way, I've read some post talking about the Mutantes' first album. Yes!! If you like Smiley Smile, you'll love Os Mutantes. They are from Brazil and get a lot of praise in the UK (just like The Beach Boys! The hell with the "american band" stigma!)

well said.

Please delete my account
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #786 on: March 03, 2013, 07:09:58 AM »

It probably has something to do with the fact that I find the Today! and Pet Sounds albums to be unmatched in Brian's catalogue. That's the type of material that I think suits him best.

Why can't you like both? It doesn't have to be one or the other.
Puggal
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #787 on: March 06, 2013, 12:17:27 AM »

Really depressing album. The versions of Wonderful and Wind Chimes here are just horrid when you compare them to the versions on Smile Sessions... I wouldn't say it's a terrible album but it's definitely uncomfortable to listen to. Even the classics like Heroes And Villains and Good Vibrations are kinda shrouded in the dark atmosphere the album creates. Gah... it's a tough listen.

This is exactly the way I feel when I listen to Smiley Smile. However, I love the claustrophobic atmosphere in all its dissonance.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 12:18:51 AM by Puggal » Logged
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #788 on: March 06, 2013, 10:31:49 AM »

This is exactly the way I feel when I listen to Smiley Smile. However, I love the claustrophobic atmosphere in all its dissonance.
I guess, but it's just... GAH! What it could have been, man....

Gotta say though, on relistens a few of the tracks are growing on me. She's Goin' Bald is very funny, despite the chipmunk noises (I've heard a few seamless mixes putting it with He Gives Speeches from SMiLE Sessions), and With Me Tonight has that gorgeous harmony going on.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 10:40:09 AM by Judd » Logged

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #789 on: May 26, 2013, 05:35:53 PM »

Smiley Smile is my second most played Beach Boys record. It's probably their second best collection of melodies, behind Pet Sounds. 5 stars

Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #790 on: June 05, 2013, 04:59:28 PM »

This album was worth making just for With Me Tonight. I get such a sense of comfort and hope from that song....ever since I first heard it on the GV Box in the late 90's. Beyond my dumb words to even describe it. I close out my SMiLE mix with this song, the way I remember it closing out the SMiLE sessions on disc 2 on the GV Box.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #791 on: June 06, 2013, 05:49:51 PM »

Does anyone know which vocals or parts in particular were sung or played in the swimming pool and bathroom, or were they all done that way?
Vegetable Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #792 on: June 27, 2013, 04:03:03 PM »

Back in my Junior High School Days, I was a huge Beatles fan. However, I was ready for something new to have on my iPod. At the time, I was only aware of the Beach Boys' surf/summer-fun music, but I was still willing to give them a chance. Then one night, while listening to "Good Vibrations" on YouTube, I noticed an interesting looking song in the suggestion box: "Vegetables". One listen and I was immediately hooked. After that, I looked up the album it was on. Something called "Smiley Smile". Then I learned the whole "Smile" story. I was intrigued. Then I started listening to other cuts, such as "Wonderful", "Gettin' Hungry" and "She's Goin' Bald". My friends thought I was going crazy when I showed them "With Me Tonight" and told them It was one of my favorite Beach Boy songs.

Even after the release of "The Smile Sessions", the album still holds up. There's hardly any comparison between the two albums. I have to be in a mood to listen to "Smile", but I can listen to "Smiley Smile" whenever I feel like it. You get a sense of intimacy when listening to the album, something that's lacking from "Smile". There's more charm to the record, as well. The underproduced sound that runs through most of the album is a refreshing change after the over-the-top production values of the mid sixties. This album stands alone as one of the prime examples of why i like The Beach Boys. It's hard to explain why I like it so much, but then again, a lot of the Beach Boys story is hard to explain.

"I've never written one note or word of music simply because I think it will make money"- Brian Wilson (1965)

"I like food"- Brian Wilson (1980)
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #793 on: June 27, 2013, 04:08:22 PM »

Back in my Junior High School Days, I was a huge Beatles fan. However, I was ready for something new to have on my iPod. At the time, I was only aware of the Beach Boys' surf/summer-fun music, but I was still willing to give them a chance. Then one night, while listening to "Good Vibrations" on YouTube, I noticed an interesting looking song in the suggestion box: "Vegetables". One listen and I was immediately hooked. After that, I looked up the album it was on. Something called "Smiley Smile". Then I learned the whole "Smile" story. I was intrigued. Then I started listening to other cuts, such as "Wonderful", "Gettin' Hungry" and "She's Goin' Bald". My friends thought I was going crazy when I showed them "With Me Tonight" and told them It was one of my favorite Beach Boy songs.

Even after the release of "The Smile Sessions", the album still holds up. There's hardly any comparison between the two albums. I have to be in a mood to listen to "Smile", but I can listen to "Smiley Smile" whenever I feel like it. You get a sense of intimacy when listening to the album, something that's lacking from "Smile". There's more charm to the record, as well. The underproduced sound that runs through most of the album is a refreshing change after the over-the-top production values of the mid sixties. This album stands alone as one of the prime examples of why i like The Beach Boys. It's hard to explain why I like it so much, but then again, a lot of the Beach Boys story is hard to explain.

To me there is a direct line from Smiley Smile to Vampire Weekend.

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Vegetable Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #794 on: June 27, 2013, 06:12:56 PM »

To me there is a direct line from Smiley Smile to Vampire Weekend.

Most definitely.

"I've never written one note or word of music simply because I think it will make money"- Brian Wilson (1965)

"I like food"- Brian Wilson (1980)
scooby1970
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #795 on: July 01, 2013, 06:32:18 AM »

For years I tried to love this album, after all, with "Heroes And Villains" and "Good Vibrations" on it (and of course "Vegetables") it had to be a good album. It grew on me over the decades of listening, and then I bought the Stereo re-release on CD and it's become an all-together different monster and I just can't stop playing it. A 4/5 for me now, so much has opened up now it's in stereo.

Smiley Mark

Long time Beach Boys fan and collector. Long time forum browser.
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #796 on: July 10, 2013, 12:43:54 AM »

Does anyone know which vocals or parts in particular were sung or played in the swimming pool and bathroom, or were they all done that way?
The beginning of "Little Pad" sounds like it was recorded in the shower just after a bong sesh.

A discipline daddy.
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #797 on: July 11, 2013, 07:13:56 AM »

Even though I consider Pet Sounds their best album of the 1960's, I like Smiley Smile best for some reason. I've worn-out several copies of Smiley Smile. I love how it's hardly 'produced', it's just 'recorded'. Yes it's a bizarre album. Yes lots of people were dissapointed by it. Yes it's short and basic and spooky sounding. But it works on so many levels for me. And the vocals are just amazing in many areas (Little Pad, With Me Tonight). Not an album to surf to...

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
BeHereInTheMorning
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #798 on: July 11, 2013, 05:36:03 PM »

An inside the park home run.

4.6, rounding it up to 5.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #799 on: August 30, 2013, 05:45:44 PM »

Another album that never quite grew on me.
But I do agree it's quite a piece of work.
I would still take the Smile Sessions over this anyday, however
I am a fan of "Gettin' Hungry"!
3 out of 5
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx