gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680884 Posts in 27618 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 02, 2024, 02:02:52 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, how tall are these people?  (Read 16526 times)
Komera
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 07, 2015, 12:37:48 PM »

Okay, so here's the reason I joined this board.

I had an idea one day.  "Scooby-Doo, except with Beach Boys.  Yeah, I'd so watch that."

If this was back when I was a kid, that would have been the end of that.

Well... I guess I could have made a gigantic flip-book...

But in this era, there are plenty of free programs online that I can use.

So... Why not?

I wrote down some ideas I had.

Yes I'm intentionally extending this post vertically so the image in the next post will be a pleasant surprise.

It's a cheap trick, but I think you guys will like it.

Where was I?

Oh yeah...

I thought I'd try to shove everyone connected with the band in any way in '65 I could find into one cartoon.

I chose '65 because pictures of the band were starting to really show them as individuals instead of five clones in striped shirts.

So I tried to find how tall they all were.

Found Brian, Mike, Carl, Dennis, Bruce, and Al.

Could not find David's height.

Couldn't find the Honeys.

Actually, the best I could find on the Honeys were their birth years (that is, until Mike's happy birthday facebook post to Marilyn).

Found Jan.

He must be one of those guys whose natural hair color changes every three photographs.

Couldn't find Dean.

Hey, if I made this into a series, I'd put in some jokes involving Murry!

Couldn't find Murry.

I did try to sneak in a question about Murry's height into Brian's last Q&A on Facebook.

It got sandwiched between two requests for Brian to punch Mike in the mouth.

My son killed my tablet pc, so I actually can't work on this.

But I CAN gather information for when I do get enough money to get a new one.

So: how tall is David?  The Honeys?  Dean?  Murry?

~~ The MeAjur Komera Waddi ~~
Komera
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 12:38:15 PM »

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 12:40:09 PM »

Nice, keep up with the good work! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
KDS
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 12:43:59 PM »

In this cartoon, would Brian be the leader who stays at home and gives the missions / mysteries to solve to Mike, Al, Carl, Dennis, and Bruce? 

At the end of each show, would the villain's mask be removed to show their true identify? 

"Let's see who the giant crow who uncovers the cornfield really is?"

"IT'S VAN DYKE PARKS"
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 12:54:36 PM »

That's way too tall for Al. I'm sorry
Komera
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 01:05:26 PM »

In this cartoon, would Brian be the leader who stays at home and gives the missions / mysteries to solve to Mike, Al, Carl, Dennis, and Bruce? 

At the end of each show, would the villain's mask be removed to show their true identify? 

"Let's see who the giant crow who uncovers the cornfield really is?"

"IT'S VAN DYKE PARKS"

I lol'd.

The current idea is that which band members are in the episodes would vary.  Brian would actually attempt to sneak away, usually being pulled back to the rest of the group by the scruff of his neck.  (Except one episode: I thought it'd be funny if Brian did sneak away and Mike would exclaim "Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle!"  Then Tommy Kirk, Annette Funicello, and Stanley walk by, and Tommy says, "No, I am.")  Al and David would play paper-rock-scissors to see who gets to be in the episode, or they'd replace each other half way through for no apparent reason.  That joke's moot if I can't find out how tall David is.

There would be a series long villian, an alien painter who is trying to steal the boys' muse because the ancient Greeks didn't make up a painting muse.  (Never mind that the Greeks also didn't make up a muse for music as we currently know it...)  The alien painter's paintings would come to life, but she'd sometimes paint some really strange stuff.  Like, instead of painting a get-away car... she'd paint a cardboard cutout of a car and run off carrying that.

Komera
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 01:08:58 PM »

That's way too tall for Al. I'm sorry

It makes more sense in Photoshop.  The ruler actually stops at their heels.  And I drew the hair from the Pet Sounds cover.  Think his hair was being blown by the wind...  But nevermind, when against the scale he's 5'5" to the top of the scalp.  And he's got a strangely large head for such a short guy.

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 01:31:05 PM »

Who is the guy between Brian and Mike? Jan Berry?
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 01:32:32 PM »

David Marks.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
Komera
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 01:57:09 PM »

Who is the guy between Brian and Mike? Jan Berry?

Yes, it's Jan.  IMDb listed his height at 6'1.5" and Mike at 6'1".  Hence his position between Brian and Mike.

Larry Franz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2015, 02:38:51 PM »

This is great, but why does Jan look like a superhero who just stepped in from an anime movie? Aside from that sweater, I mean.

Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into. (It became fine later on.)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2015, 02:58:51 PM »

Brian looks good. Mike looks good. Al looks good. Dennis looks good. Carl's face is passable but looks like he was on a massive diet. If you're looking for accuracy, you need to make him chunkier. Dave's maybe a little taller and he needs quite a bit of work on the resemblance factor.

I like Jan to death, but he shouldn't be in the picture. He should probably be replaced with Bruce.  Jan should be in a separate picture with Dean.

Just my unsolicited humble opinion........   Grin

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2015, 03:39:29 PM »

Why are they all touching each others dicks?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2015, 03:52:02 PM »

Strangely, Brian's the only one not getting fondled, and he seems happy about it!

Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2015, 03:52:54 PM »

I don't envy the response you might get for that one, bruh. LOL

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2015, 04:04:40 PM »

Hee Heeeeeeeeeee!!!  Grin

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Komera
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2015, 04:10:50 PM »

Brian looks good. Mike looks good. Al looks good. Dennis looks good. Carl's face is passable but looks like he was on a massive diet. If you're looking for accuracy, you need to make him chunkier. Dave's maybe a little taller and he needs quite a bit of work on the resemblance factor.

I like Jan to death, but he shouldn't be in the picture. He should probably be replaced with Bruce.  Jan should be in a separate picture with Dean.

Just my unsolicited humble opinion........   Grin

David's not in the pic.  I couldn't find his height.  The joke I had in mind for Dave will have to be filled in with Jan if I can't find Dave's height.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2015, 04:19:11 PM »

Joke? Dave is no joke! He played Toes On The Nose rhythm guitar and kicked major bootie on the C50! Hey, this is serious stuff here. Give credit where it's due. David Marks is a very legitimate Beach Boy and deserves a fine graphic depiction on your layout there.

I always wanted to see a 'Beach Boys at The Last Supper' drawing. Wouldn't that be cool? OK, maybe a little disrespectful but still.  
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 04:27:05 PM by Mikie » Logged

Komera
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2015, 04:22:03 PM »

*Looks long and hard at the avatar.*

Hmmm... how do I respond?

1) Because I said so.
2) Neutral figure pose.
3) Sadly, due to being on different layers in different folders in Photoshop, these long denied lovers can gaze lovingly for all of eternity but are doomed forever to never touch.  It's a tragic tale destined to bring even the heavens to tears.
4) Dicks?  If the clothing layers are turned off (they all have multiple outfits... Brian has 13 of them!), they all have Ken doll nether regions.
5) All of the above.
6) None of the above.

Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2015, 04:25:38 PM »

and butts

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Komera
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2015, 04:26:41 PM »

Joke? Dave is no joke! He played Toes On The Nose rhythm guitar and kicked major bootie on the C50! Hey, this is serious stuff here. Give credit where it's due. David Marks is a very legitimate Beach Boy and deserves a fine graphic depiction on your layout there.

I always wanted to see a Beach Boys at The Last Supper drawing. Wouldn't that be cool? OK, maybe a little disrespectful but still. 

To bequeath to me the height of yon master Guitarist?  That he may taketh his rightful place amid his peers on snowy hill drenched in blizzard?

Beach Boys Last Supper.  Hmm.  Might have to take that challenge someday.

monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2015, 06:14:20 PM »

This is a great start, i find it very charming. Here are some thoughts: Brian and Carl are too skinny, Al is too tall, Jan looks too much like a superhero or anime character, and all of their legs are too muscular. Why are they all positioned as if about to pick a fight or take flight like a bird or being strip searched? Also, why are you placing such importance on their height to the the point where you won’t even attempt drawing up a new character? Can’t you get a close enough approximation based on photos? I WANT TO SEE THE ROVELL SISTERS AND MURRY. Also, Chuck Britz (and his exceptionally hairy forearms), Van Dyke Parks, Phil Spector, Banana and Louie, etc.

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Komera
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2015, 07:24:04 PM »

This is a great start, i find it very charming. Here are some thoughts: Brian and Carl are too skinny, Al is too tall, Jan looks too much like a superhero or anime character, and all of their legs are too muscular. Why are they all positioned as if about to pick a fight or take flight like a bird or being strip searched? Also, why are you placing such importance on their height to the the point where you won’t even attempt drawing up a new character? Can’t you get a close enough approximation based on photos? I WANT TO SEE THE ROVELL SISTERS AND MURRY. Also, Chuck Britz (and his exceptionally hairy forearms), Van Dyke Parks, Phil Spector, Banana and Louie, etc.

I appreciate your enthusiasm.  Given that my tablet pc is non-functional, and I currently have no other way of drawing anyone else, I really don't think I can be faulted for trying to find the missing heights before I once again can get back to drawing.  My not drawing the missing people has nothing to do with a reluctance to estimate how tall these people are, and everything to do with a drawing device that no longer accepts pen input.

And estimating height is harder for me than I care to admit because of perspective.  The person standing in back is always going to look taller.  In some 50th Anniversary pictures, David looks taller than Brian.  In other pictures, he looks shorter than Brian.  Same with Jan and Dean.  Very hard for me to tell who is taller when neither is standing up straight.  Do I make Murry taller than Dennis?  I swear to Bob that I'm not making excuses for not drawing these people.  I just don't have the means to do any drawings right now and am just trying to get a little more information under my belt before I can resume drawing.

I am so heartened by everyone's replies.  Even those who have issue with the posture (so I can see the sleeves but not take up as much space as Vitruvian Man, or have foreshortened arms if their arms were akimbo).  It does amuse me that even though I did bulk Brian and Carl up, the replies think I didn't do it enough.  And that even though Jan, Dennis, and Al were drawn with similar body types, Jan somehow winds up looking like a superhero.  While I can't do anything about it right now, I will gladly keep in mind that I need to shove a few dozen Twinkies into Brian and Carl, and put Jan on a diet.  Never thought I'd ever type that!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 07:26:41 PM by Komera » Logged

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2015, 07:27:57 PM »

I think it'd be awesome have Jan gone and add Blondie, Ricky and Dave. And make Brian and Carl a little fatter.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2015, 08:24:30 PM »

David's at least 6' tall, maybe slightly more.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx