gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680955 Posts in 27623 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 10, 2024, 04:25:53 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1991 Vinyl re-issues  (Read 3859 times)
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: September 20, 2014, 06:33:47 PM »

I'm currently in Barcelona on a work trip ... during my day off yesterday, I was browsing through some record shops and bought a 1991 reissue of 'Surf's Up' on vinyl (Epic Label, Spanish press). I searched through the archives and came across a couple references to these. This must be pretty rare. It would be cool to find the 1991 'MIU' on vinyl with the wrong mixes! Apparently the 'Holland' reissue has the fairy tale included in the LP itself?

I wonder which titles were released (all of them?) on vinyl. Anyone have any info? Such a strange pressing (it says 'digitally remastered' on the front, and has the weird sand background on the back sleeve w/ lyrics to all of the songs, no insert).

Also got some 'import'-type DVDs ... including the 2012 reunion Japan show. And the Monkees 'Music Box' for only 25 Euros.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 06:35:02 PM by DonnyL » Logged

The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 02:25:09 AM »

Not 100% sure, but I think that only Sunflower, Surf's Up and Holland were re-released on vinyl in 1991. I've never seen any other 70s album re-released on vinyl by Epic.
Sunflower didn't have the lyrics printed on the back, and yes, Holland included the fairy tale and the lyrics except for Sail On Sailor.

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 07:03:24 AM »

I have Sunflower, Surf's Up and Holland on Epic vinyl. All 3 of them are Dutch pressings. But I also have a Spanish pressing on Epic of Holland. You're the first to confirm that there's a Spanish Surf's Up as well. Cool !!

Holland indeed has the EP included on the LP. The Trader is the last track on side A. The layout is pracitcally the same as the CD reissues from 1991 (also with the 'digitally remastered' line added).

Now, I have heard rumours on all Epic reissues released on vinyl, one fan mentioned in the past having seen (but not bought) MIU and POB onceon Epic vinyl. Unfortunately we've never seen the visual proof of it yet.

Interesting note is that Sunflower, Surf's Up and Holland were also released as a limited 3CD box set at the time. It gives the idea that just these 3 albums were given a special treatment with additional releases. But -again - I can't confirm it.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 07:27:29 AM »

Now, I have heard rumours on all Epic reissues released on vinyl, one fan mentioned in the past having seen (but not bought) MIU and POB onceon Epic vinyl. Unfortunately we've never seen the visual proof of it yet.

I know for a fact that "POB" was reissued on CASSETTE in '91...I saw some in a Phoenix record store that year or sometime in the next couple of years, and bought one for my brother!
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 07:38:06 AM »

I bought a vinyl POB in about 1997 from a second hand record shop for £7. It had just come in. It looked (and still does) in amazing condition. I would have guessed it was new. I'm pretty sure it has the grey Caribou logo on the record.

Does anyone know if there were any reissues of POB?

I find it hard to believe (a) that i have an original POB and (b) that it would have been in such good condition.
JasonK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 07:53:36 AM »

Hey, I still have the POB on CASSETTE, sealed in the wrapper.  It was hard not to open it.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 08:17:34 AM »

Thanks for all the info guys!

Yeh all of them were released on cassette. When I was a poor teenager in the '90s, I think I had most of them. 'L.A.', 'Keepin the Summer Alive', and the 85 album were not 'remastered' with the sand background, they were just the old-style original cassettes.

sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 10:08:07 AM »

I bought a vinyl POB in about 1997 from a second hand record shop for £7. It had just come in. It looked (and still does) in amazing condition. I would have guessed it was new. I'm pretty sure it has the grey Caribou logo on the record.

Does anyone know if there were any reissues of POB?

I find it hard to believe (a) that i have an original POB and (b) that it would have been in such good condition.

I don't know why it would be hard to believe.  A few years ago I paid just a few dollars for a minty-fresh POB at a thrift store.  I imagine a number of folks probably bought the album when it came out, played it once, decided they didn't like it for whatever reason, and then shelved it.
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 11:01:15 AM »

Yep , I also have the other 1991 POB on tape (never played it though) BUT last year sold an original POB LP UK Pressing 'still sealed' for a fair amount , still have another sealed copy in the Dean vault though  Grin
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 01:01:22 PM »

I know for a fact that "POB" was reissued on CASSETTE in '91...I saw some in a Phoenix record store that year or sometime in the next couple of years, and bought one for my brother!

Presuming you mean a USA release, do you have any information  as to label/ catalog ##, etc;  ( maybe from your brother?)   ?

Yep , I also have the other 1991 POB on tape (never played it though) BUT last year sold an original POB LP UK Pressing 'still sealed' for a fair amount , still have another sealed copy in the Dean vault though  Grin

This is a UK/non-USA release, correct?

Yeh all of them were released on cassette. When I was a poor teenager in the '90s, I think I had most of them. 'L.A.', 'Keepin the Summer Alive', and the 85 album were not 'remastered' with the sand background, they were just the old-style original cassettes.

As for these, you're referring to the original cassette releases, and not resissues. Right? 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 01:59:03 PM »

Ah, forgot about the tapes. I only have  Carl&tPassions, Holland and In Concert as Epic tape releases. But I'm sure the complete Epic series exist.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2014, 03:14:15 PM »

As for these, you're referring to the original cassette releases, and not resissues. Right?  

There were 1990/91 US reissues for Sunflower, Surf's Up, So Tough, Holland, 15 Big Ones, Love You, Pacific Ocean Blue, and MIU. The front cover was the same as the longbox for the CDs. Pacific Ocean Blue was a little different in that it showed the full foldout of the album cover. I saw all of these in the stores. I had Sunflower (first time I ever heard the album on that 1991 cassette!) and a few others. At least Love You and Pacific Ocean Blue ... Love You had no drum intro on 'Honkin Down the Highway').

The original cassettes of LA Light and BB85 were still in print at this time (I remember buying them new at Tower around '92). I don't think Keepin' the Summer Alive was actually in print anymore on cassette, or if it was, I never saw it.

Here's an example I found on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Surfs-Up-by-Beach-Boys-The-Cassette-BRAND-NEW-FACTORY-SEALED-GIFT-QUALITY-/221144123010?pt=Music_Cassettes&hash=item337d378682

I don't think the cassettes are too rare, but the vinyl is nearly impossible to find. That's why I was shocked to see it. I've seen the 1980 UK reissue of Sunflower on CBS once at a shop in Berkeley.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 03:16:42 PM by DonnyL » Logged

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2014, 03:42:16 PM »

There were 1990/91 US reissues for Sunflower, Surf's Up, So Tough, Holland, 15 Big Ones, Love You, Pacific Ocean Blue, and MIU. The front cover was the same as the longbox for the CDs. Pacific Ocean Blue was a little different in that it showed the full foldout of the album cover. I saw all of these in the stores. I had Sunflower (first time I ever heard the album on that 1991 cassette!) and a few others. At least Love You and Pacific Ocean Blue ... Love You had no drum intro on 'Honkin Down the Highway').

The original cassettes of LA Light and BB85 were still in print at this time (I remember buying them new at Tower around '92). I don't think Keepin' the Summer Alive was actually in print anymore on cassette, or if it was, I never saw it.

Here's an example I found on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Surfs-Up-by-Beach-Boys-The-Cassette-BRAND-NEW-FACTORY-SEALED-GIFT-QUALITY-/221144123010?pt=Music_Cassettes&hash=item337d378682

I don't think the cassettes are too rare, but the vinyl is nearly impossible to find. That's why I was shocked to see it. I've seen the 1980 UK reissue of Sunflower on CBS once at a shop in Berkeley.

Gotcha. Yeah I have all the 1991 cassettes, I simply wasn't clear if you were saying the others were also re-issued then.
I don't believe any of these saw LP reissues in the USA

Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2014, 04:19:08 PM »

Presuming you mean a USA release, do you have any information  as to label/ catalog ##, etc;  ( maybe from your brother?)   ?

Yep talking about about the reissue tape , however recently also sold an original tape to a guy in Japan for a few pennies  Cheesy   My sealed vinyl LP sold (and still a sealed copy in my collection) were/are  the original  UK 1977 Pressing , real deal (and it ain't going nowhere)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2014, 04:33:59 PM »

Yep talking about about the reissue tape , however recently also sold an original tape to a guy in Japan for a few pennies  Cheesy   My sealed vinyl LP sold (and still a sealed copy in my collection) were/are  the original  UK 1977 Pressing , real deal (and it ain't going nowhere)

Would you sell the sealed one for $1000?

Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2014, 04:43:55 PM »

Presuming you mean a USA release, do you have any information  as to label/ catalog ##, etc;  ( maybe from your brother?)   ?

Yep , I also have the other 1991 POB on tape (never played it though) BUT last year sold an original POB LP UK Pressing 'still sealed' for a fair amount , still have another sealed copy in the Dean vault though  Grin

Yep talking about about the reissue tape , however recently also sold an original tape to a guy in Japan for a few pennies  Cheesy   My sealed vinyl LP sold (and still a sealed copy in my collection) were/are  the original  UK 1977 Pressing , real deal (and it ain't going nowhere)

Ask my daughters in 30 years time when I'm no longer here  LOL   but hey it may be $15,000 then

Actually I would have sold the other one for $1000 , but it sold for around $250 (£175) but I guess the person who bought it will probably never open the seal
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 04:50:01 PM by Rob Dean » Logged
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2014, 06:31:27 PM »

Presuming you mean a USA release, do you have any information  as to label/ catalog ##, etc;  ( maybe from your brother?)   ?

Yep , I also have the other 1991 POB on tape (never played it though) BUT last year sold an original POB LP UK Pressing 'still sealed' for a fair amount , still have another sealed copy in the Dean vault though  Grin

Yep talking about about the reissue tape , however recently also sold an original tape to a guy in Japan for a few pennies  Cheesy   My sealed vinyl LP sold (and still a sealed copy in my collection) were/are  the original  UK 1977 Pressing , real deal (and it ain't going nowhere)

Ask my daughters in 30 years time when I'm no longer here  LOL   but hey it may be $15,000 then

Actually I would have sold the other one for $1000 , but it sold for around $250 (£175) but I guess the person who bought it will probably never open the seal

or $50....

Strange that neither popsike or collectors frenzy picked up on it; I thought they got every collectible such as this! 

Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2014, 08:51:28 AM »

Found the epic "Holland" pressing while browsing today. Its made in Holland according to the label. The lyrics printed on the back are almost impossible to read. To try is to go blind  Grin

bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2015, 11:47:55 AM »

ahhh, love this thread......

just purchased a 'sunflower' epic Lp from eBay, looks like i'll be on the prowl to find the other 'epic' 1991 releases...

this collecting game is FUN, FUN err ahhh Fun??

RickB
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx