gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681076 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 21, 2024, 04:33:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson Songwriter DVD  (Read 12614 times)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2010, 11:22:52 AM »

Just finished Lloyd's book. The only good thing I can say about it is that there are some great, previously unpublished photos of the guys in it.

The rest, well there are lots of self-repetition, at least one factual error (regarding where the BBs were when MLK was shot), and plenty of sleaze that doesn't add anything worthwhile to the story.

Where does the author "think" the BBs were when MLK was shot?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2010, 03:15:57 PM »

Memphis, about go onstage for their show that night, which was actually scheduled for April 17th at the time of the shooting. According to AGD's site, they were in Nashville instead.

I was living in Memphis at the time. The BBs wound up playing there a week later than originally scheduled, on April 24th.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 03:17:40 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2010, 01:44:01 AM »

Given that MLK was shot on the 4th, not the 17th, well... makes you wonder about some of the other stuff. At best, that's lousy research/checking. On the 4th, the band were en route to the first stop of the tour, Nashville on the 5th.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 01:46:26 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2010, 06:09:46 AM »

Given that MLK was shot on the 4th, not the 17th, well... makes you wonder about some of the other stuff. At best, that's lousy research/checking. On the 4th, the band were en route to the first stop of the tour, Nashville on the 5th.

Haven't even seen the book yet, but from the accounts here, I'd say the author( or whomever actually wrote/co-wrote it. Maybe they got some help from Todd Gold?) didn't bother with research or checking what they had against real world details. They took this guy's "diary" and published it. cut and dried. 
 I know I traded emails with this guy's ( Jack Lloyd)  daughter in the last couple of years; just wish I had thought to keep copies. Pretty sure they were selling some BBs stuff on Ebay. ( not that it matters)

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2010, 10:30:20 PM »

Got back a couple of responses from people mentioned in the publicity blurb, and I'm feeling somewhat better about it now. Not back flips good, but... better.  Grin

Not much to go by but here's a short preview:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGjRMhzlKe4

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2010, 11:54:27 PM »

Looks good, looks like a quality project (even though it's a tad odd to see a piano sound coming out of a Baldwin !).

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2010, 04:36:31 PM »

while the book has many errors and there is a lot of stuff that may be exploitive in it.  There is a lot of factual info in there.  It's clear that he intermixes tours in his memory.  For example he is talking about the Aug 68 tour and then suddenly veers off into the August 66 tour.  But he clearly had notes about certain tours-notably the Oct 68 tour-that no one else has volunteered.  I was unaware of the Oct 18 1968 Knoxville show but sure enough I confirmed it from the local newspaper-his info for that tour is far more correct than Keith Badman's.  Probably because he was on that tour without Duryea and had to keep accurate box office notes.  He also provides important info on the May 69 tour (again there is a problem with his memory-he says he quit in April 69 but he was on the May 2-4 1969 tour).  Indeed in NME Mike discussed how he missed a show because he was in India and sure enough Lloyd supplies the show-May 2 1969 in Norman.  That Lloyd was indeed on that tour is confirmed by an article I have from Omaha for May 4-in which he is interviewed backstage.  So-when he was actually road manager-without Duryea he has accurate notes-but clearly in April 68 he was not keeping them.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2010, 04:54:59 PM »

Looks good, looks like a quality project (even though it's a tad odd to see a piano sound coming out of a Baldwin !).

Got any idea who were the first two narrators pictured?  David was easy

Christian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2010, 11:00:00 PM »

The first one is Russ Titleman, I think.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2010, 09:25:13 AM »

Well, the first one is Bruce Johnston!

Second is indeed Russ Titleman.

The third is Anthony DeCurtis (a writer for Rolling Stone among other publications).

The fourth is David Marks.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2010, 09:34:36 AM »

Well, the first one is Bruce Johnston!

Second is indeed Russ Titleman.

The third is Anthony DeCurtis (a writer for Rolling Stone among other publications).

The fourth is David Marks.

Oops, yeah, I meant 2 and 3. 

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx